What does Linus do with all the hardware he is sent? (after he's finished using it)

SGM
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

Most of what we don't need to send back we keep around for future comparison. It's only when we're 100% sure that we won't need it again that we'll get rid of it via garage sale or some other means.

Also, many manufacturers have strict guidelines in terms of what we can do with samples. Intel and WD are great examples of this. We can't even give them away without prior approval.

As for the "awesomeness" of so much hardware, honestly it's less exciting than you'd think after a certain point. How many power supplies does one person need? I don't know about you guys, but for me the answer is three: personal rig, media PC, home server. Anything else just sits in a box until we need to do a case review and put a power supply inside, or we need to build a test bench or something.

After Linus has done an unboxing and or review of a product (whether it be a case or a graphics card), what does he do with them after he's finished making a video on it? Does he have to send them back or are they kept indefinitely for future purposes? Once he's recieved something does he then own it or does it still belong to whoever sent it to him?

I've always wondered after seeing his office almost entirely filled with computer hardware and cool tech. I can't imagine what the insurance\security must cost on housing something like that! 

The only time incorrectly is spelled incorrectly is when it is spelled incorrectly.

Some he keeps others he sends back. It just depends on the manufacturer. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

either sells it, puts into storage, keeps it around for benchmarking (where applicable), or uses it in a system

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

It usually ends up sitting around/ getting given to someone.

Or stolen, in the case of slick

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

He eats it. 

Probably sends most of it back though

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

It's either sent back, sold, or thrown in a rig at @Slick so that he can do something with it.

Thanks for the replies!

Must be great having all this awesome hardware arrive on a regular basis! 

The only time incorrectly is spelled incorrectly is when it is spelled incorrectly.

Thanks for the replies!

Must be great having all this awesome hardware arrive on a regular basis! 

It doesn't work the way you are imagining it, the hardware is a tool for his business. What do you think he uses for guides, benchmarks, etc. What if he needs a card to place next to a card he is reviewing to be able to show the entire series or compare cards. 

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Most of what we don't need to send back we keep around for future comparison. It's only when we're 100% sure that we won't need it again that we'll get rid of it via garage sale or some other means.

Also, many manufacturers have strict guidelines in terms of what we can do with samples. Intel and WD are great examples of this. We can't even give them away without prior approval.

As for the "awesomeness" of so much hardware, honestly it's less exciting than you'd think after a certain point. How many power supplies does one person need? I don't know about you guys, but for me the answer is three: personal rig, media PC, home server. Anything else just sits in a box until we need to do a case review and put a power supply inside, or we need to build a test bench or something.

How do I mark/vote that as best answer??

I suppose when you look at it that way it sort of looses the 'magic' from the first couple of times you get something, especially when you don't really have a use for it other than to review it before boxing it away again.

Still though, I'm pretty envious! 

I would love to have a bucket of GPUs which Linus and the team have. Maybe they have more than one bucket....

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll