Intel Caught Cheating, Gets a Slap on the Wrist 14 Years Later

sTizzl

http://wccftech.com/intel-settles-15-year-class-action-lawsuit-faking-benchmarks/

It’s a bit sad, almost funny when you read news like this. Intel has evidently fabricated benchmarks for their Pentium 4 processors back in 2000. The benchmarks were set against AMD’s Thunderbird at the time. According to the official site of the class action lawsuit Intel is expected to pay $15. This payment will out go to each person who completed a purchase of a Pentium 4 processor between November 20th of 2000 and December 31st of 2001.

This lawsuit is about whether Intel manipulated Pentium 4 performance scores in violation of California’s Unfair Competition Law. The lawsuit also addresses whether Hewlett-Packard (“HP”) knew about and substantially assisted Intel in manipulating the Pentium 4’s performance scores.

The Plaintiffs allege that Intel manipulated the performance benchmark scores for its first-generation Pentium 4 processors and that HP aided and abetted Intel’s allegedly unlawful conduct. Intel and HP deny any liability and all claims of misconduct and Intel contends that the performance benchmarks challenged by Plaintiffs fairly measured the performance of the Pentium 4 processor.

Seriously? and i thought Intel was reputable back then, i sure hope they aren't still attempting to pull these kind of shenanigans!

And this really makes me wonder what these companies like intel nvidia and amd can really do to get inflated benchmark numbers.

@Askew

Oh....  /cri

WFCC.... GTFO :angry: .

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

sorry... this a bad source?

As much as everyone bashes WCCF, quite a bit of the stuff on there (but not all) turns out to be true.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

As much as everyone bashes WCCF, quite a bit of the stuff on there (but not all) turns out to be true.

i think Linus bashed it once and now everyone does. pretty much whatever Linus says people will blindly follow here.

i think Linus bashed it once and now everyone does. pretty much whatever Linus says people will blindly follow here.

ya notice my low post count? ive been a subscriber since original cameraman yet get bashed every time a come here by trolls.

you guys need to take in what other people say and come out with your own opinions rather than just spouting what other people say.

Ok, now I see why everyone dislikes it....

What idiots.

I don't really see the reason, all sites post things that turn out to be false at least once.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Hello... :mellow:

Please stop posting WFCC crap.

WFCC.... GTFO :angry: .

Honestly speaking.. 

What's WFCC?  :o

World Federation for Culture Collection?

World Fish Carving Conservation?

Wells Fargo Conference Center?

West Frankfort Coal Company?

West Florida Canoe Club?

I give up..

EDIT: OH IT'S THE SOURCE

I FELL SO STUPID

EDIT:2 FUCK I SPELT FEEL* WRONG

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

nobody should be mad when wccf is used as a source when the story is true

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

OMG a forum member with his own mind. Brother!

you guys need to take in what other people say and come out with your own opinions rather than just spouting what other people say.

You're right you know, in all honesty,

the site has had rumors that came out wrong but they do provide beneficial rumors & have come out with real slides of upcoming products that were pure source , But i think too many writers now a days just add up things to spice it all up that's where it got frustrating for so many users, it's a mixed batch so that's the situation that causes all the fuss.. it's been over a year i think WCCF posts been disregarded/ignored by many, i don't even bother to post because i know 80-90% rep will be trolling on the source not the report itself, Just ignore it that's all i'm saying (the troll that is)

Details separate people.

This is a repost. I'm on my phone but go into the first 3 pages of tech news and reviews. Furthermore, who cares?! AMD inflated their own benches and you didn't see Intel suing over it. This is as much a non-story as Cinebench running less optimized code on AMD CPUs because of a CPU-ID String check in the Intel c compiler. Why even try to compile code for the competition's chips if you can't guarantee instructions were optimized the same way, or even exist? But of course AMD was butthurt, sued, and lost.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This is a repost. I'm on my phone but go into the first 3 pages of tech news and reviews. Furthermore, who cares?! AMD inflated their own benches and you didn't see Intel suing over it. This is as much a non-story as Cinebench running less optimized code on AMD CPUs because of a CPU-ID String check in the Intel c compiler. Why even try to compile code for the competition's chips if you can't guarantee instructions were optimized the same way, or even exist? But of course AMD was butthurt, sued, and lost.

The original topic is locked, so may as well continue discussion here, unless Mods say otherwise.

Unfortunately, this can be the nature of the US court system. It can sometimes take years before anything is decided. Yeah the incident happened 14 years ago, but the verdict is still news.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yes, let criminals get away with crimes because it's so inconvenient to go after them.

My first PC has a Pentium 4  2.66GHz in it.......damn. I still have the clip sitting on my table. :ph34r:

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Bloody hell, can we just ban wccf already

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Bloody hell, can we just ban wccf already

Yeah...

My question is...what kind of judge would make them pay after 14 years???And why now? O_o

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Intel doesn't need to fabricate benchmarks anymore because AMD gave up.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Intel doesn't need to fabricate benchmarks anymore because AMD gave up.

*cough* cinebench *cough* 

Not going to argue so don't quote me

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

*cough* cinebench *cough* 

Not going to argue so don't quote me

Cinebench is a benchmark.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard