New Xbox One Hardware In The Works

MEC-777

If they've gone this far to improve the XBONE ONE, I wouldn't doubt they will push for having HBM packed inside as well (this is one of the key places HBM belongs). Which could give the PS4 a run for its money using just GDDR5, all around lower power consumption and higher performance.

@HalGameGuru Without some structure of IP, there's no motivation to invent because then anyone who already has money can steal your work and mass produce it, effectively cutting you out. Our founding fathers knew this. What you are asking for is pure intellectual anarchy.

This is ANOTHER subject that has been gone over to exhaustion. Lack of IP legislation does nothing to stifle advancement. But IP protectionism DOES stifle advancement. And there is a BIG difference between protecting an idea you had and are building product from and preventing someone else who had the same idea doing the same thing with his private property. If you came up with an idea and couldn't make a competitive product with it that's on you. Some guy three states over had the same idea a month later and makes a product, he has stolen NOTHING from you.

You can have structure, you can have all the structure you want, but in a free market it has to derive from legitimate action, it cannot be coercive or involuntary. Don't show it to anybody you don't have an NDA over. Sell it to someone else who can more easily make use of it. You have no ownership over other people's property, and you have no guarantee of profits. Get what you can out of an idea or pass it along. Having laws that just get rewritten any time Mickey mouse is in danger of going public domain, or saying somebody cannot make a certain shape on a CNC machine because you thought of it first is not capitalism.

If they've gone this far to improve the XBONE ONE, I wouldn't doubt they will push for having HBM packed inside as well (this is one of the key places HBM belongs). Which could give the PS4 a run for its money using just GDDR5, all around lower power consumption and higher performance.

I just wonder if we are reading way more into it than there actually is. Shrinks happen, do we really think, or do we really even HOPE, they would change the performance of the console and break the paradigm of interoperability? I dunno if I want to have to worry about XBONEPOINTONE, I'd probably rather see a smaller form you could VESA bracket to the back of a TV.

The title the OP made is somewhat misleading in that they are not doing a hardware revision which will give us more performance.  I want a 60 FPS/1080p guarantee console from MS and they are no trying to deliver this with this new Xbox One.  It is just a mini version of the console.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

late replies because sleep and video games

Only 1 TB? 2 should be a minimum considering they make you store 60GB games locally.

My PS4 has 1TB and with Lords of the Fallen, Last of Us, Diablo 3, and Shadow of Mordor it still has a ton of room left. Not every game is going to be 60GB. 

I think if they release the "base" model with 1TB, that'd be plenty. The first XBox 360 I had came with a 20GB HDD. Downloadable games weren't that popular back then, but even with DLC it filled up pretty quick.

Additionally, you can plug in USB 3.0 external drives (Mechanical HDDs or SSDs) as long as they are 250GB or larger (weird requirement, but alright, not a problem anyway for someone who wants to use a 4TB drive for example). The XBox OS allows seamless integration, and you can download and install both games AND apps to the external drive.

It's unfortunate that apparently you still can't swap out the internal HDD (that I've read, anyway), but with the External being functional enough, there's no problem there.

That's what I meant to say, 1TB of storage on the base model. I got a 1TB for my PS4 a few months ago and I'm now using the old 500GB for extra storage on my Xbox. If a 1TB Xbox does come out next year I will be getting one. I just hope is quieter.  

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

So it seems AMD has performed a die-shrink on the APU used in the Xbox One from 28nm down to 20nm for a new "slim" version of their current bulky, brick-like like console. TSMC will be producing the new chips and could deliver up to 25% improved power efficiency.

xbox-one-soc.jpg

Performance improvements could also potentially come out of this upgrade as Microsoft is possibly exploring some alternate memory options. Currently the Xbox One uses 2133mhz DDR3 modules. 

I was very unimpressed with the Xbox One for a number of reasons. Not necessarily because of it's somewhat lacking graphical prowess, but it's mammoth size and the fact that it still requires the use of an external power brick, when the PS4 is both physically smaller and boasts an internal PSU. There's no doubt an external PSU will be necessary with a slim version, but at least the console itself will be smaller and easier to deal with.

All in all, I say good on MS for doing this and I REALLY hope they change up the memory to DDR4 so they can at least match the performance of the PS4. Even if it costs a bit more, if this makes it a stronger platform that actually can run [some] games at 1080p/60fps, that's enough to justify the higher price, IMO. Wishful thinking, I know. :rolleyes:

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-smaller-cheaper-cooler-xbox-one-processor-in-development

Don't expect it to have DDR4, the price would go way up.

Also, massive overkill if you put it next to the rest of the hardware that's in there

This might be a first: A console redesign that makes the original version the shit version also when it comes to performance? Tell me how Console gaming is more simple and convenient at this point then?

Well if you live in a world where the only console is Playstation maybe the original Xbox 360 pro and arcades were far worse then any of the later consoles I have 4 360's laying around collecting dust 1 release day pro, 2 Elite and a S each improved somewhat.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

It would be interesting if they do put more powerful hardware in, but if they do they'll still have to make all games playable on the original release hardware. Then the only benefits to the more powerful consoles would be higher framerate or they could run it at a higher resolution based on what Xbox One is detected, etc.

Exactly the problem.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Well if you live in a world where the only console is Playstation maybe the Original xbox 360 pro and arcades were far worse then any of the later consoles I have 4 360's laying around collecting dust 1 release day pro, 2 Elite and a S each improved somewhat.

Yes I guess I would suck to live in that world, it's a good thing that you now know about PCs so let's build more of em!

-------

Current Rig

-------

The PS4 outsells microsoft because the Halo crowd is FINALLY dying off. Microsoft doesn't have any other hallmark game series to call on for a fanbase. Sony has the likes of Square Enix still yanking in tons of people for the FF series and Kingdom Hearts. You also have The GTA players. For Sony it makes sense. Microsoft, eh...You have a point for them. Or, Microsoft could just release a better console...

I'm pretty sure you'll find the largest deciding factor was price nothing to do with halo. For the record Final Fantasy is on xbox and GTA is or at least has always been in the past much much better on xbox then PS going right back to GTA3.

Playstation has nothing as far as exclusives(I can think of) that Microsoft don't have an equal to. I also know for a fact that the original Xbox was actually aimed/marketed largely at PC gamers as was the 360 in Australia at least and both decimated playstation sales here, this generation they lost those sales entirely. I've always been a PC gamer going back to Commodore 64 and Amiga and I bought an Xbox and 4 xbox360's as at the time of release the hardware was actually pretty good value (and Microsoft paid for my xbox live until July this year 9years), this generation by contrast I knew long before the consoles were released how bad they actually were hardware wise as did most of us so I didn't buy one and nor did the rest of my pc clan nor any other hardware enthusiasts that I'm aware of. 

I own 2 or more copies including 1 of each legendary edition halo game ever made hell I even played Halo when it was still basically a myth mod on PC about 2 years before its console release haha and tested every halo there after in either closed or open betas. I know many many halo fans most of which are PC games as Halo was first announced in PCGAMER before Xbox was even announced lol I'm pretty sure sales have very little to do with the lack of Halo fans(just look how many of us here on the forum want halo released on pc). In my experience the only people buying consoles at this point in time are broke, stupid young fanboys/girls or people as gifts for young children so price becomes the biggest deciding factor. 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Yes I guess I would suck to live in that world, it's a good thing that you now know about PCs so let's build more of em!

I've owned my own PC since I was 2-3, I been building them since I was 6 lol family full of computer technicians I have so many Unisys parts laying around even to this day I still use a old mid 90's Unisys commercial laser printer for printing plan text ;-)

I want a return to the good old days when consoles and PC didn't even bother competing when there wasn't console gamers that had some stupid idea their $400-500 console was somehow competitive against $2000-3000+ PCs  and didn't even try to be PS1 and earlier where consoles had a different style of game better suited to sitting in front of a TV not trying to half ass PC games while holding PC back hell (Halo aside) pretty much all my favorite console games are games better suited to console. Star Wars Jedi Power Battles PS1 for example I had alot of fun playing it shared screen co-op on playstation but I surely wouldn't have wanted to play it on PC, Mortal Kombat, Tekken  hell even Tenchu and things designed to be played local multi-player, tbh playstation1 didn't hold PC gaming back in the slightest and gave a legit reason for PC gamers like us to own a console as well those were the days.....

I've owned(still own) most consoles from Atari 2600 to Xbox 360 (I didn't get a PS3 nor sega saturn) I've always been a PC gamer but there's really no comparing a PC to console when it comes to local social gaming, consoles are great for being able to pass around the controller and take turns at things life by life or match by match as recently as 3 days ago I was playing Destiny with a buddy who brought his ps4 over passing the controller between matches while drinking and catching up. There's also no doubting as a father of young girls that always want to play against or with me that consoles are better for that also. They need to return to marketing them as being good for what they're actually good for and not as a PC alternate or competitor. I rarely use my PC for more then google when I have a group of people over.  

The title the OP made is somewhat misleading in that they are not doing a hardware revision which will give us more performance.  I want a 60 FPS/1080p guarantee console from MS and they are no trying to deliver this with this new Xbox One.  It is just a mini version of the console.

It's only misleading if you think new hardware automatically = more performance, which is not the case. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

It's only misleading if you think new hardware automatically = more performance, which is not the case. ;)

I don't consider new hardware to include transistor lithography changes or even hardware integrations because at the end of the day, it's the same hardware.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

The only feasible thing MS can do is to alter the RAM configuration of the system; either change the amount that is available or increase the clock speed. This was done earlier, I think on the Xbox 360 where it was increased from 256mb to 512mb, but can't seem to find a link to where I read it :/

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

The only feasible thing MS can do is to alter the RAM configuration of the system; either change the amount that is available or increase the clock speed. This was done earlier, I think on the Xbox 360 where it was increased from 256mb to 512mb, but can't seem to find a link to where I read it :/

I'm pretty sure the Xbox 360 always had 512MB of shared memory.

Yep, the 360 never received any hardware upgrades that would meaningfully impact the performance. A working 1st gen 360 will play a game just as well as a current gen 360 Slim will.

They won't change the performance with this upgrade. It's been stated 100 times this thread already as to why that's a terrible business and consumer decision.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yep, the 360 never received any hardware upgrades that would meaningfully impact the performance. A working 1st gen 360 will play a game just as well as a current gen 360 Slim will.

They won't change the performance with this upgrade. It's been stated 100 times this thread already as to why that's a terrible business and consumer decision.

Microsoft really needs to stop fucking shit up. First Windows, then Minecraft, and then finally, Nokia. THE BEST FRIGGING PHONE COMPANY EVER.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Microsoft really needs to stop fucking shit up. First Windows, then Minecraft, and then finally, Nokia. THE BEST FRIGGING PHONE COMPANY EVER.

To be fair, Nokia would not exist if not for Microsoft. When they picked up Nokia, it was about to become financially insolvent. They didn't even have the money to invest in building an Android phone even they had wanted to. Microsoft gave them the money they needed to survive another day.

And it's not just Microsoft. Sony has a very similarly specced console. They both made the decision for low end hardware.

The question will be: do they learn from this?

Even if they do learn from it, can Sony even afford to heavily subsidize a console price anymore? They've been in incredibly dangerous financial trouble for several years now. Even if they wanted to put, say, a 980m and a mobile i7 into the console, could they afford to sell it at a still reasonable price (Say $500)? They'd be losing hundreds per console. I don't think they could afford that.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

There was a rumor, that the initial size of the XB360's RAM was 256MB, but after Epic Games complained that it wouldn't be enough for the platform exclusive Gears of War, MS decided to bite a $2B of additional investment and double the RAM to 512MB in the last moment, before mass production.

There was a rumor, that the initial size of the XB360's RAM was 256MB, but after Epic Games complained that it wouldn't be enough for the platform exclusive Gears of War, MS decided to bite a $2B of additional investment and double the RAM to 512MB in the last moment, before mass production.

Even if that rumour were true, it would not be a comparable situation to now. Those 256MB consoles never saw the light of day. If they made any 256MB consoles first, they were upgraded to 512MB before ever reaching the public. The gaming experience thus, is still unified for the entire 360 product cycle.

It's much much too late for Microsoft to do that now. If they want to change performance specs, then they'll have to wait and release a whole new "console"

Indeed you're correct well mostly it could run GOW but they showed how much better it could run with 512mb which was enough for MS to make the change.

Though of my 4 360's each is a slight variant so there was actually 6 different 360's released(not counting color or the arcade/pro difference of not having a HDD on the Arcade) each with slightly different hardware the only gains over this time though was improved reliability(Before their Australian release they fixed the RROD and replaced it's fault DVD ROM So there is actually 2 release day versions even) lower power consumption and massively reduced heat and of course larger hard drives with different faster plugs.

Damn, I might hold off getting a Xbox One then until this upgraded version come out.

If I had bought the Xbox One already I would be pretty annoyed...

My Desktop: Intel i7 7700k, GTX 1060, Samsung EVO 840, Vengeance Pro 32GB RAM, Air 240.

"Once you go mechanical, you never go back"

Damn, I might hold off getting a Xbox One then until this upgraded version come out.

If I had bought the Xbox One already I would be pretty annoyed...

How so? All you'll be getting is a smaller, more power efficient console. The performance will be identical (or near enough makes no difference). Most console gamers probably don't think about how their xbox affects their electricity bill.

How so? All you'll be getting is a smaller, more power efficient console. The performance will be identical (or near enough makes no difference). Most console gamers probably don't think about how their xbox affects their electricity bill.

Fair enough, but the power brick is really annoying, but if there isn't any massive performance increase I'll might get it. If you think about it, it might lower the price of the first gen Xbox One slightly;)

But then again the Xbox One isn't going to be carried with me everywhere so I may as well just get it as it's going to be stationary...

My Desktop: Intel i7 7700k, GTX 1060, Samsung EVO 840, Vengeance Pro 32GB RAM, Air 240.

"Once you go mechanical, you never go back"

Fair enough, but the power brick is really annoying, but if there isn't any massive performance increase I'll might get it. If you think about it, it might lower the price of the first gen Xbox One slightly;)

But then again the Xbox One isn't going to be carried with me everywhere so I may as well just get it as it's going to be stationary...

With the lower power comes more importantly lower heat and quieter operation if it's anything like the variants of the 360 were I'd wait a little.