NES build 1985-2015 30TH anniversary " NES 3.0"(completed final pics!)

ungreedy

well went to the thrift store this morning got myself a sweet dell psu for $10 and all is gravy.Cranked up my gpu clocks and cpu clock back to 4.0 just played skyrim for about a hour and a half no shutdowns!!! so I am going to return my pico and get the hdplex 250w.

until then now that I have this really cool psu hooked up I'll see how far I can push this cpu on my little cpu cooler :P

Hahaha, that's amazing! What is the wattage on that power supply, pretty neat :P

well went to the thrift store this morning got myself a sweet dell psu for $10 and all is gravy.Cranked up my gpu clocks and cpu clock back to 4.0 just played skyrim for about a hour and a half no shutdowns!!! so I am going to return my pico and get the hdplex 250w.

until then now that I have this really cool psu hooked up I'll see how far I can push this cpu on my little cpu cooler :P

-snip

Is that ram inside yoda? I guess you could say he has quite the memory!

Very cool can't wait to see this thing in all it's finished glory

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

@Bosco

Not just normal memory, but Hynix memory. The force is indeed strong in him.

Also, this NES build has inspired me to do a similar build, though I am totally going with the Gigabyte 970 ITX. Going from a GTX 770 down to a 750 ti would probably feel odd to me.

-MageTank

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Is that ram inside yoda? I guess you could say he has quite the memory!

Very cool can't wait to see this thing in all it's finished glory

@Bosco

Not just normal memory, but Hynix memory. The force is indeed strong in him.

Also, this NES build has inspired me to do a similar build, though I am totally going with the Gigabyte 970 ITX. Going from a GTX 770 down to a 750 ti would probably feel odd to me.

-MageTank

that is ram from my old g72gx laptop,have a cpu in yoda also with memory cards and spare change! man you guys are like little detectives ,hope I leave nothing naughty out lol.

Mage, what are you planning to use for a case?

I am pretty surprised how well this 750ti can game .runs skyrim on ultra no issues,when I first started skyrim and It detected my system settings and told me ultra high settings I was like " no way" but ran it great .i know the game is a couple years old now but is still pretty cool . Maybe if I get my gtx 970 soon I can get one of those 3 free games and really tax this system. I have a hard time buying games upon release unless it's something really special.other than that I just wait until sales.

So glad I inspired you, makes my day! This build has been so fun to make and so happy that I shared it with you guys here on LTT !!

4015857936.png

that steam download was from my wifi ,this is my speed on my main rig "wired" ;)

Jesus lord. How much do you pay for that!?

4015857936.png

that steam download was from my wifi ,this is my speed on my main rig "wired" ;)

Yeah how much does that cost per month, in Canada for that speed you don't even get unlimited usage, unless you pay extra  :mellow:

@ungreedy

I am going for a smaller briefcase style case. Wiring a 10.1 inch IPS panel to a molex cable (12V, 2A panel). I figured I could hide the controller behind the panel, and the board would fit quite nice. Looking for a proper method of mounting the GPU to where it can get proper airflow from a hole cut out of the side of the case itself. Still, seeing you do all of this in a NES has given me plenty of hope, as I have quite a bit more room to work in than you do in that NES box.

I was considering a 750 Ti, as I already have a Zotac one sitting around. However, I decided it would be pretty sweet to get my hands on a 970 and keep that nice performance per wattage I was looking for, without sacrificing any performance compared to the 770 I already use in my Azza Z case.

-MageTank

Edit: sorry for not quoting, I need to start browsing these forums on something other than IE, cant paste or quote in this browser for some reason.

Yeah how much does that cost per month, in Canada for that speed you don't even get unlimited usage, unless you pay extra  :mellow:

no cap in my area ,I was able to pull a few strings and get this for $55 a month before this I used to pay $30 and get only 25mb/s. I would start my downloads at night and hope they would be done before i get home from work the next day. was getting about 1MB/s on steam now I get around 24MB/s .

steam_zps89fe43cb.png

no cap in my area ,I was able to pull a few strings and get this for $55 a month before this I used to pay $30 and get only 25mb/s. I would start my downloads at night and hope they would be done before i get home from work the next day. was getting about 1MB/s on steam now I get around 24MB/s .

-PIC-

WOW that is an awesome deal, here for that speed it's $85 dollars with only 350GB/month, for 550GB it's $100, and for unlimited it's $110  <_<

Thank goodness for package savings!

I wish my net was as fast as @ungreedy

Currently paying TWC $160 for net/cable/phone. 50mbps down, 5mbps up. Maybe the TWC/Comcast merger wouldn't be so bad after all ;)

-MageTank

well i kinda decided on my vent design for the gpu intake, here is a rough sketch if you look at the sketch  I am going to add the same size vent on the lower shell right below this one, think it will look cool and probably help out with cooling.(the new vent will be like my other one I had made just bigger)

if you look at my other pic my two fans that are in the console are going to become exhaust fans now.

the reason I decided on the bigger vent is since I am getting the bigger psu, I might as well push my OC limits now since only thermals will hold me back now not the watts.

going to start on this tomorrow

what do you guys think? 

will also add the same size vent on the lower case

IMG_20141227_214329_zps5nys4j7o.jpg

will look like this just bigger

IMG_20141109_155820_zpsoiyckquf.jpg

fans will be turned to make them exhaust.they will be sealed from the rest of the case so they will blow hot air out of the case with out the air mixing back in . Hard for me to explain you will see in the future!!

IMG_20141201_185417_zps2gel5fmf.jpg

well i kinda decided on my vent design for the gpu intake, here is a rough sketch if you look at the sketch  I am going to add the same size vent on the lower shell right below this one, think it will look cool and probably help out with cooling.(the new vent will be like my other one I had made just bigger)

if you look at my other pic my two fans that are in the console are going to become exhaust fans now.

the reason I decided on the bigger vent is since I am getting the bigger psu, I might as well push my OC limits now since only thermals will hold me back now not the watts.

going to start on this tomorrow

what do you guys think? 

will also add the same size vent on the lower case

will look like this just bigger

fans will be turned to make them exhaust.they will be sealed from the rest of the case so they will blow hot air out of the case with out the air mixing back in . Hard for me to explain you will see in the future!!

Sounds like a good idea. If worst comes to worst, you could aim for maximum performance:watt. See how high of a clock you can get with as least amount of voltage as possible. I have my G3258 stable at 4.0ghz on 1.15V with stock cooler. My stock VID was 1.060, and i am certain i could undervolt that even further while retaining 3.2ghz. With the 55W TDP of that GPU, and the 53W stock TDP of that CPU, heat wont be that much of an issue for you.

Correct me if i am wrong, but did you replace that stock cooler earlier in this thread? or am i thinking of another build that i was viewing? 

-MageTank

steam_zps89fe43cb.png

I get 2megabytes on steam with a 16mit connection. You should have had 2.5 megabytes on steam.

well just got done a intense modding session! This was pretty nerve-racking as the bottom piece on the top shell is fragile with so little plastic left ,an will be fragile until i epoxy the grill insert in.still have some finish sanding before I can do the grills.

I am really stoked on how it all came out ,gives it that gaming pc vibe :D now I should be able to clock my gpu to its limit now,since it is going to be getting fresh air from out side the case pretty much now!

measurements done

IMG_20141228_155531_zpsnctugoze.jpg

pilot holes drilled

IMG_20141228_155858_zpsv1lci5b4.jpg

1 inch holes drilled

IMG_20141228_160918_zps8vbqqk6z.jpg

plastic cut out

IMG_20141228_162200_zpsdyobayyu.jpg

straight edge in place ready for sanding

IMG_20141228_163555_zpslbg8drj2.jpg

close up of finished product ,still finish sanding to do another day

IMG_20141228_164554_zpskk2aacnt.jpg

this is the scary part here,I was holding my breath cutting and sanding this part

IMG_20141228_170414_zpsdzcmkyja.jpg

IMG_20141228_171436_zpsup90h56f.jpg

amazing job on the drilling and sanding, but those are one inch holes? dang that is a small case.

amazing job on the drilling and sanding, but those are one inch holes? dang that is a small case.

Thanks!

The top holes are 1 inch,the bottom holes are actually 3/4 of a inch .it is a little tighter of a area on the bottom case.

Also the total case height is only 3.5 inches

@ungreedy did you sand that with a straight line guide or freehand? Them lines are damn great, good job! :)

Thanks.

I use a piece of aluminum 90 clamped real good then slowy and carefully sanded them down with my dremel on slow speed.just now need to do some fine sanding by hand. You can see the straight edge I used in a couple of those pics

Thanks.

I use a piece of aluminum 90 clamped real good then slowy and carefully sanded them down with my dremel on slow speed.just now need to do some fine sanding by hand. You can see the straight edge I used in a couple of those pics

Oh, you used the dremel for sanding that? I thought you would have just hand sanded using low grit until it was flat and then used a high grit to smooth it out.

Great job either way!