Google announces android 5.0 Loolipop, nexus 9 and nexus 6

AlexGoesHigh

It's funny, I'd actually be fine with this if there were also a less premium Nexus 5 (2014) and Nexus 7 (2014), and I'd actually still go for the Nexus 6. Only having premium models, however, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

No the Surface has a 3:2 aspect ratio, like a paper. This is 4:3

Here is a comparison (I scaled them all to have the same vertical size):

Aspect-Ratio.png

As you can see, even the Surface Pro 3 is wider by a pretty significant margin. This makes the Nexus 9 pretty much useless if you want to watch videos on it because about 25% of the screen will be black bars (assuming the video is 16:9, it's even more with 21:9). Even more if you include the status and/or navigation bar in Android.

Yes I was comparing it to the Nexus 10. So if this is not a replacement then why have they stopped selling the Nexus 10? Why didn't they give the Nexus 10 an upgrade as well?

I would be okay with the lack of an SD card slot if they at least made 32GB the smallest model. It costs them maybe 5 dollars extra to make it 32GB yet they want you to pay (probably) 100 dollars more for it.

16GB is really small these days. 32GB should be standard, especially if you don't have microSD in it. if they could do it for the Nexus 6 then why the hell not for the Nexus 9?

Whit the way Google handles storage support I suspect they want to force people to use drive or other online services vs local storage, though I'm a bit surprised they made 32gb and 64gb nexus 6 they could have gotten away whit 16 on that one to, also because of the massive price increase this gen they are assaulting apple directly whit these, tomorrow is apple Ipads event

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I just wish they had come out with a refresh for the Nexus 5. 6 inches is just too big

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Either way, being on T-Mobile, I'd give up wifi calling by buying from the play store. I'm not paying more than $400 for a phone with no wifi calling. (First person to tell me to switch will have a full inbox.)

I have no interest in WiFi calling so it's not an issue for me.

They actually limit you in the US call wise?

If there is a Play store in your country. 

-.-

The Nexus 5 is almost $500 here.

Oh but there is ;) So it's not really an issue for me.

No the Surface has a 3:2 aspect ratio, like a paper. This is 4:3

Here is a comparison (I scaled them all to have the same vertical size):

As you can see, even the Surface Pro 3 is wider by a pretty significant margin. This makes the Nexus 9 pretty much useless if you want to watch videos on it because about 25% of the screen will be black bars (assuming the video is 16:9, it's even more with 21:9). Even more if you include the status and/or navigation bar in Android.

Yes I was comparing it to the Nexus 10. So if this is not a replacement then why have they stopped selling the Nexus 10? Why didn't they give the Nexus 10 an upgrade as well?

I would be okay with the lack of an SD card slot if they at least made 32GB the smallest model. It costs them maybe 5 dollars extra to make it 32GB yet they want you to pay (probably) 100 dollars more for it.

16GB is really small these days. 32GB should be standard, especially if you don't have microSD in it. if they could do it for the Nexus 6 then why the hell not for the Nexus 9?

Ah, I see. That is odd then, considering I imagine most people use tablets for movies; it's one of the only reasons I can think of owning one.

If I needed to be productive I'd just get an ultrabook, since they're really not much heavier or larger.

Perhaps it's coming? I'm not Google. I can't see them leaving the larger arena though. With Samsung and Apple releasing 12"+ tablets, it'd be quite foolish.

The 10 has been out for over 2 years iirc. I'm sure they'll do something with it.

I suppose they figure Cloud storage, NAS, USB OTG etc would suffice.

I haven't seen price differences that high on Android devices in ages, they're not Apple ;) It'd likely have been a $50 premium. If they don't at least offer a higher amount that'll be sad.

Personally? I find 16gb to be more than enough space.

It's funny, I'd actually be fine with this if there were also a less premium Nexus 5 (2014) and Nexus 7 (2014), and I'd actually still go for the Nexus 6. Only having premium models, however, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

They still sell the Nexus 5...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I am so fucking pissed and disappointed about the Nexus 9. What the fuck were you thinking Google?

I can't believe nobody in the entire fucking industry knows how to make a decent fucking tablet these days.

i really like the tablet the only problem for me is the sd slot 

why you don't like it ?

The Nexus 6 is monstrously large...I just don't know what to think.  Part of me just wants to have it, and part of me knows that I can't possibly use it comfortably in one hand which is pretty much a dealbreaker.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

The screen size is an instant deal breaker for me. What is up with manufacturers these days with this "bigger is better" nonsense? At some point, we would eventually be expected to call a HDTV-sized electronic a "portable cell-phone". 

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

i really like the tablet the only problem for me is the sd slot 

why you don't like it ?

I posted my issues with it earlier in the thread. Here it is again if you don't feel like looking for it:

Regression in resolution and PPI.

Awful aspect ratio.

Smaller screen.

Still stuck with the awful 16GB of memory and no microSD.

Still 2GB of RAM.

No USB 3.0

I tried to keep my expectations low but this is actually worse than I had imagined.

Ah, I see. That is odd then, considering I imagine most people use tablets for movies; it's one of the only reasons I can think of owning one.

If I needed to be productive I'd just get an ultrabook, since they're really not much heavier or larger.

Perhaps it's coming? I'm not Google. I can't see them leaving the larger arena though. With Samsung and Apple releasing 12"+ tablets, it'd be quite foolish.

The 10 has been out for over 2 years iirc. I'm sure they'll do something with it.

I suppose they figure Cloud storage, NAS, USB OTG etc would suffice.

I haven't seen price differences that high on Android devices in ages, they're not Apple ;) It'd likely have been a $50 premium. If they don't at least offer a higher amount that'll be sad.

Personally? I find 16gb to be more than enough space.

Well an ultrabook is far more expensive and not really as portable. But yeah, you should not get a tablet for productivity (except the Surface 3).

Sadly I don't think Google will release a 10" or bigger tablet. I expect them to keep the Nexus 5 around as their phone, the Nexus 6 around as their phablet and then have the Nexus 9 as their tablet. Get rid of the Nexus 7 because it's too close the Nexus 6, and stop selling the Nexus 10 (it's already not available in the play store). Although, they might keep the Nexus 7 around just because it's their cheapest device.

I have no interest in WiFi calling so it's not an issue for me.

They actually limit you in the US call wise?

They still sell the Nexus 5...

The WiFi calling is for improved coverage. I'm on T-Mobile US, the smallest nationwide carrier with almost exclusively high frequency LTE spectrum and just poor building penetration overall, so WiFi calling helps. It also means that if I travel, I can call without roaming charges. WiFi calling actually counts toward the limit on minutes, but all of T-Mobile's postpaid plans have unlimited calling and texting anyway.

It is for now. I'm 99% sure that production of the Nexus 5 either has stopped or will stop by the end of the year.

Seems like meh devices to me. Nexus 6 is too wide, almost as wide as the Lumia 1520. The Nexus 9 is a nice looking tablet but is really the wrong aspect ratio for Android and too big for Android in my opinion.

I posted my issues with it earlier in the thread. Here it is again if you don't feel like looking for it:

Well an ultrabook is far more expensive and not really as portable. But yeah, you should not get a tablet for productivity (except the Surface 3).

Sadly I don't think Google will release a 10" or bigger tablet. I expect them to keep the Nexus 5 around as their phone, the Nexus 6 around as their phablet and then have the Nexus 9 as their tablet. Get rid of the Nexus 7 because it's too close the Nexus 6, and stop selling the Nexus 10 (it's already not available in the play store). Although, they might keep the Nexus 7 around just because it's their cheapest device.

Yeah, I don't see how people can work on them tbh. I mean, I'd want something Windows based if I was going to do any real work. So there's the Surface.

But, compare that to my Series 9, and honestly it's not much different. 0.5" thick, great battery life, 2.5lbs. I don't see how you can say that's not as portable, it's basically a large tablet...and if anyone has trouble carrying around something with it's dimensions it's time to hit the gym for those 2.5lb weights.

Can't wait to see how well, or poorly the Nexus 6 sells. $650 is a lot of money for a phone.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Interesting enough the picture shows it running Android L. I wonder if Google halted production of the original Nexus 5 to have it remade with Android L. This gives them a mid range budget phone (Nexus 5) and a flagship (Nexus 6).

The latest Nexus device usually gets access to the newest version of Android. Nexus 4 is past its 18 months of support, so it won't get anything beyond Kitkat. Officially anyway. XDA will probably have an AOSP build for latest versions of android even for older devices shortly after the code is released. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I freaking knew that they would call it Lollypop! What the shit is a Lemon Meringue Pie anyways.

And, I cannot recommend this phone to people. Too big, too expensive. It's actually bigger than my Note 3, wow. The fuck were they thinking?

The reasoning behind Lemon Meringue is that all of the codenames up until Kitkat were for dessert items (besides Jelly bean, and I'm ignoring Honeycomb because it wasn't a normal Android version). Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Frozen Yogurt, Gingerbread, Icecream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, Kitkat. Guess they decided to change to using sweet items in general, including candy. 

Lemon Meringue is a type of pie. Originally, people assumed Key Lime Pie would be used instead of Kitkat as Google released a teaser of an Android eating Key Lime Pie. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

650?! That is very expensive considering all the previous nexus's were so much cheaper. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Does anyone know a store that sells pants with massive pockets?

my OPO just barely fits in my pockets now with this thing I'll need a new wardrobe.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

just realized that these new prices kills google previous attempts to make oem produce cheaper flagship, i guess they said fuck it, and produce the best money can buy

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Specs for the Nexus 6:

82.98 x 159.26 x 10.06 mm.

184 grams.

5.96" screen.

2560x1440 SAMOLED panel.

13MP camera with OIS.

Dual LED ring flash

4K recording

2MP front facing camera.

Dual front facing speakers

Snapdragon 805

3220mAh battery

Specs for the Nexus 9:

153.68 x 228.25 x 7.95 mm.

425 grams.

8.9" screen

2048x1536 IPS panel (4:3 aspect ratio).

8MP rear camera

1.6MP front facing camera.

Dual front facing speakers ("boom sound" speakers)

Tegra K1 (probably the dual core model at 2.5GHz although that's not official yet). It is 64bit though.

2GB of RAM

16 or 32GB of storage

Source: Google.com

I am so fucking pissed and disappointed about the Nexus 9. What the fuck were you thinking Google?

I can't believe nobody in the entire fucking industry knows how to make a decent fucking tablet these days.

What about the tablet specifically?

"Regression in resolution and PPI".         /i find it enough because a tablet has bigger screen and you hold it a bit further 

"Awful aspect ratio."                              / okey i can kind of agree to this

"Smaller screen."                                   / it is a bit smaller nothing special

"Still stuck with the awful 16GB of memory and no microSD."  / every nexus has this i don't like it too

"Still 3GB of RAM."                      /it actually has 2 gb ram which  with stock android is a shitload of ram 

"No USB 3.0"                               /usb 2.0 max bandwidth is 60 MB per second ,it is good 

I tried to keep my expectations low but this is actually worse than I had imagined.

it's not that bad....imo

there are so many good points to make like the nice speakers ,better camera and cpu ,and it looks so much better 

Nexus is officially dead originally it was a developers platform then it went to a budget and now it's got stupid specs and is ridiculously expensive...

The Nexus program was never about that. It was about what Google wanted phone makers to base their phone off of and what they thought was the best way for consumers to enjoy android OS in their vision.  :mellow:

Specs: CPU: FX 8350 MOBO: Crosshair V Formula-Z RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 1600Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce GHz Edition PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: Corsair 750D Storage: Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD 2TB Green + WD 200GB Black (non-functional/to take up space) Monitor: ASUS PB238Q Upgrade Plans Herehttp://pcpartpicker.com/user/chipsndip104/saved/3AAt

I actually want the 6.... But now.... 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

What about the tablet specifically?

Look a bit further into the thread and you will find it.

"Regression in resolution and PPI".         /i find it enough because a tablet has bigger screen and you hold it a bit further

True, but I don't like downgrades in general. The PPI is not bad, but I would not say that it's good either.

"Smaller screen."                                   / it is a bit smaller nothing special

It's quite a bit smaller. Here is a comparison (note, this is a comparison of the physical size of the screens, not the resolution):

post-216-0-93622900-1413408546.png

"Still 3GB of RAM."                      /it actually has 2 gb ram which  with stock android is a shitload of ram

Oops yeah I meant to write "still 2GB of RAM", not 3GB.

It's decent but you have to remember that with the move to 64bit the RAM usage will go up, and I already run into issues where I see things getting expunged from the cache too quickly on my Nexus 10 with 2GB of RAM.

it's not that bad....imo

there are so many good points to make like the nice speakers ,better camera and cpu ,and it looks so much better

Well I think it is. I think they messed the screen up so badly I would rather stick with my Nexus 10 than get the Nexus 9. When someone says "I think your two year old version is better" about your new mobile product (even a single year is an eternity in the mobile market right now) then you know you've fucked up. The Nexus 10 also had stereo front facing speakers so I wouldn't be so quick with saying these ones are better. The camera is better but does anyone really use their tablet camera? My phone already takes better photos so it's only really useful for things like QR codes and such. I won't say it's bad that they upgraded the camera but it's such a minor thing I barely think it's worth mentioning.

The SoC is interesting but honestly I wouldn't even have been interested if they had put an 980M and an i7 behind that screen. They fucked up the single most important thing about it.

I am seriously fucking pissed at Google right now. I had the bar set as low as I reasonably could set it and they still managed to disappoint me. I set my expectations to "I'll be happen even if it's the exact same but with an updated SoC".

I want to shove the Nexus 9 up the designers ass.

as a TLDR you want to light fire on HTC's HQ