Google announces android 5.0 Loolipop, nexus 9 and nexus 6

AlexGoesHigh

5.9 is WAYYYY to big of a screen for me, I don't want a phablet and 5" screens are on the high end of what I want for a phone, but hey, Android 5.0 :D

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

I doubt any of you noticed it but neither support wireless charging. Look at the spec sheet. That would be a deal breaker for me if I was in the market for a new phone as I have a LG wireless charging puck sitting right here at my desk. The tablet on the other hand not so much as placing a device that's 7"+ on a wireless charger is a bit awkward.

Dear lawd so many reposts in the news part of the forum. Does anyone search? It actually works guys

Edited by DLM_012

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

I am so fucking pissed and disappointed about the Nexus 9. What the fuck were you thinking Google?

I can't believe nobody in the entire fucking industry knows how to make a decent fucking tablet these days.

What's not to like about the tablet?

I can't really see what more you were hoping for.

It's a shame the Nexus 6 is that big. I was hoping the rumors were true and it was closer to the Note 4 in size.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

if it was more like the og Moto X it would be mine, but i don't want a bigger phone that my nexus 4, i just want a better one

The gen1 Moto X really did a good job of having a somewhat large screen on a phone with a very small footprint. 

If I'm honest, the size of the nexus I can just about overlook, even if it is huge. But that price is ridiculous. The nexus line is primarily for developers, with it having flagship specs for less than a normal flagship. This is a complete screw up by google IMO, as they're just being a sheep and trying to compete with the big brands of samsung etc. which isn't what they should be doing.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Specs for Nexus 9:

0c19326f3e.png

I am probably going to get a Nexus 9 dependant on price. I use my Nexus 7 daily and I really need an increase in screen resolution. If they can sell it for £200 like the Nexus 7 that would be amazing. Although I wish it had a more standard screen size. 1440p would be nice.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I like the devices, but the thing I liked the most about the Nexus line was their price point. With this generation, that isn't the case anymore. IMO I think this is a big mistake for Google. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

I will happily insert my foot in my mouth if I'm wrong but I think the quoted price in the news articles is buying the phone off contract from carriers, not the Play Store.

i wasnt gonna buy it anyways but  that price is insane

i guess Google is deviating for their original plan

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

What's not to like about the tablet?

I can't really see what more you were hoping for.

It's a shame the Nexus 6 is that big. I was hoping the rumors were true and it was closer to the Note 4 in size.

Regression in resolution and PPI.

Awful aspect ratio.

Smaller screen.

Still stuck with the awful 16GB of memory and no microSD.

Still 2GB of RAM.

No USB 3.0

I tried to keep my expectations low but this is actually worse than I had imagined.

$650? *groan* This isn't a Nexus. It's Android Sliver with the Nexus name. I'm getting the Z3. Bite me, Google

I will happily insert my foot in my mouth if I'm wrong but I think the quoted price in the news articles is buying the phone off contract from carriers, not the Play Store.

Correct, though I doubt the play store price will be better. $600 in the best case.

the 6 is awfull....$650 are you shitting me glad i didnt ait for the 6

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Awful aspect ratio.

Smaller screen.

Still 3GB of RAM.

No USB 3.0

I tried to keep my expectations low but this is actually worse than I had imagined.

I think the aspect ratio is better for tablets as it's more like a piece of paper. Same reason they used that in the Surface is it not?

Smaller than what? This is what's been rumored for many, many months. It's not a Nexus 10 replacement.

I agree about the screen resolution and the memory though, especially with that processor, why wouldn't they have cranked it up?

Linus mentioned why they dropped USB 3.0 for the Note, I imagine it's much the same reason for the Nexus. Wireless charging would have been nice though.

I don't see why you're surprised about the lack of an SD card slot. Seems to be Google's MO for quite a few generations.

$650? *groan* This isn't a Nexus. It's Android Sliver with the Nexus name. I'm getting the Z3. Bite me, Google

Correct, though I doubt the play store price will be better. $600 in the best case.

Play Store Nexus 5's are almost half the carrier quoted prices.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Awful aspect ratio.

Smaller screen.

Still 3GB of RAM.

No USB 3.0

1. I don't know why you even began to imagine that it would have expandable storage. Almost all phones/tablets are trending away from this unless you're Samsung or LG
  2. Android is becoming lighter, why the need for so much RAM?
  3. Don't expect USB 3.0 for another year or two. I'm leaning more towards two.

My points still stand but after reading your post again it appears that you were expecting this to be a successor to the Nexus 10. I doubt that's what this was intended for.

Edited by DLM_012

Why is the Nexus 6 $650 :(

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Wayyyy too big for my liking. I think I'll stick to my trusty 5. Unless Google you make another Nexus 5 with specs like that and I'm sold!

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Ah Google...why did you have to make Nexus phones have aproximately the same screen size as their model number...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I think the aspect ratio is better for tablets as it's more like a piece of paper. Same reason they used that in the Surface is it not?

Smaller than what? This is what's been rumored for many, many months. It's not a Nexus 10 replacement.

I agree about the screen resolution and the memory though, especially with that processor, why wouldn't they have cranked it up?

Linus mentioned why they dropped USB 3.0 for the Note, I imagine it's much the same reason for the Nexus. Wireless charging would have been nice though.

I don't see why you're surprised about the lack of an SD card slot. Seems to be Google's MO for quite a few generations.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Either way, being on T-Mobile, I'd give up wifi calling by buying from the play store. I'm not paying more than $400 for a phone with no wifi calling. (First person to tell me to switch will have a full inbox.)

If there is a Play store in your country. 

-.-

The Nexus 5 is almost $500 here.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

No the Surface has a 3:2 aspect ratio, like a paper. This is 4:3

Here is a comparison (I scaled them all to have the same vertical size):

post-216-0-32336500-1413393852.png

As you can see, even the Surface Pro 3 is wider by a pretty significant margin. This makes the Nexus 9 pretty much useless if you want to watch videos on it because about 25% of the screen will be black bars (assuming the video is 16:9, it's even more with 21:9). Even more if you include the status and/or navigation bar in Android.

Yes I was comparing it to the Nexus 10. So if this is not a replacement then why have they stopped selling the Nexus 10? Why didn't they give the Nexus 10 an upgrade as well?

I would be okay with the lack of an SD card slot if they at least made 32GB the smallest model. It costs them maybe 5 dollars extra to make it 32GB yet they want you to pay (probably) 100 dollars more for it.

16GB is really small these days. 32GB should be standard, especially if you don't have microSD in it. if they could do it for the Nexus 6 then why the hell not for the Nexus 9?

I freaking knew that they would call it Lollypop! What the shit is a Lemon Meringue Pie anyways.

And, I cannot recommend this phone to people. Too big, too expensive. It's actually bigger than my Note 3, wow. The fuck were they thinking?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.