Google announces android 5.0 Loolipop, nexus 9 and nexus 6

AlexGoesHigh

Nexii

It's like calling multiples furnaces ferni

Nexus originates from Latin. Latin originated plurals are suffixed by - I.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Really liking that Nexus, but I havent seen Motorola in my country for years...

The iPhone 6, 6+, iPad Air 2 and the Note 4 (Exynos model) all use SoCs built on 20nm transistors.

Qualcomm is still stuck on 28nm though and I am not sure we will see them move from that until the Snapdragon 810 which is still quite far away.

I totally agree. Killing the Nexus 7 is an idiotic idea. Google ruined the Nexus line with this release if you ask me.

Well they didn't ruin it, they just messed up a bit. They could easily keep he Nexus 7 in production (although we all know how reluctant Google is to listening) and make a upgrade the Nexus 5 while also introducing it to more carriers like the Nexus 6. If they did that I would be happy.

Side note: Qualcomm has had webpages for the 808 and 810, and Android L supposedly supports 64bit, why the heck is the Nexus 6 using the 805?

Well they didn't ruin it, they just messed up a bit. They could easily keep he Nexus 7 in production (although we all know how reluctant Google is to listening) and make a upgrade the Nexus 5 while also introducing it to more carriers like the Nexus 6. If they did that I would be happy.

Side note: Qualcomm has had webpages for the 808 and 810, and Android L supposedly supports 64bit, why the heck is the Nexus 6 using the 805?

808 and 810 are not released yet. It's rumored that phones such as the Xperia Z4, Galaxy S 6 and HTC M9 will use it but for the next ~4 months the Snapdragon 805 is the best they have to offer.

Just did some calculations. If you want to view video on the Nexus 9 then the video will be as big as it would be on an 8.4" 16:10 tablet. That's how terrible 4:3 is.

For people who want to view video, Google has replaced their 10.1" tablet with an 8.4". That's fucking retarded Google. Get your shit together.

Just did some calculations. If you want to view video on the Nexus 9 then the video will be as big as it would be on an 8.4" 16:10 tablet. That's how terrible 4:3 is.

For people who want to view video, Google has replaced their 10.1" tablet with an 8.4". That's fucking retarded Google. Get your shit together.

That is a bummer. I think they're trying to change the focus of nexus tablets from media consumption devices to work devices, since they even made a keyboard case for the Nexus 9, and the 4:3 aspect ratio is better for reading documents / webpages when in landscape.

What I hope is that they release an updated Nexus 7 later on, or keep the current Nexus 7 in production, albeit with a lowered price perhaps. It's still the daddy of 7" tablets as far as I'm concerned.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

What calculations exactly? Because when I did the math it came out to be 8.16" diagonal

That is a bummer. I think they're trying to change the focus of nexus tablets from media consumption devices to work devices, since they even made a keyboard case for the Nexus 9, and the 4:3 aspect ratio is better for reading documents / webpages when in landscape.

I disagree that 4:3 is better for reading documents and webpages. I know a lot of people say it is but I don't get why.

Web browsing - Most websites are narrow and tall. If you don't know what I mean by that then just look at it this way. How often to do you scroll sideways on a website relative to how often you scroll up/down? I am willing to bet that most people scroll up and down more than they scroll left and right. This applies to popular apps such as Twitter and Facebook as well. There is far more vertical scrolling going on than horizontal. Putting your 3:2 or 16:10 tablet in portrait mode seems like a far better idea than having a 4:3 tablet for web browsing, RSS feeds, social media and so on.

Reading books and comics - This is one area where I will admit that 4:3 is better than 16:10. It is not better than 3:2 though. Most books where I live have the same aspect ratio as the A series of paper, the square root of 2. That puts it pretty much bang in the middle between 3:2 and 4:3. 3:2 being slightly too tall, and 4:3 being slightly too wide. However, there are 2 reasons why I think 3:2 is still better.

1) On books some of the paper becomes unusable because of the binding. That means that the actual text in books are usually slightly more narrow than the actual book itself (and thus making it closer to 3:2).

2) Android has a notification bar as well as a navigation bar. These two eats up some of the vertical resolution.

When you take these two into consideration I think 3:2 becomes the best option for reading things such as books on a screen.

What calculations exactly?

(all measurements are in inches)

An 8.9" screen with an aspect ratio of 4:3 has an area of 38.02 (7.12 * 5.34). ~74.9% of that will be covered by the movie which gives us an area of ~28.4something

An 8.4" screen with an aspect ratio of 16:10 has an area of 31.71 (7.12 * 4.45). ~89.9% of that will be covered by the movie which gives us an area of ~28.5something

So the 16:10 aspect ratio 8.4" tablet would actually be a tiny bit bigger than the 4:3 aspect ratio 8.9" tablet for 16:9 video. I am not sure if the numbers are the same or get even worse when going even mode wide screen with 21:9.

Edit: Here is a good online calculator for these kinds of things. The only thing it doesn't give you is how much of the screen in percent that the video will take up but that's easy to calculate yourself.

I disagree that 4:3 is better for reading documents and webpages. I know a lot of people say it is but I don't get why.

Web browsing - Most websites are narrow and tall. If you don't know what I mean by that then just look at it this way. How often to do you scroll sideways on a website relative to how often you scroll up/down? I am willing to bet that most people scroll up and down more than they scroll left and right. This applies to popular apps such as Twitter and Facebook as well. There is far more vertical scrolling going on than horizontal. Putting your 3:2 or 16:10 tablet in portrait mode seems like a far better idea than having a 4:3 tablet for web browsing, RSS feeds, social media and so on.

Reading books and comics - This is one area where I will admit that 4:3 is better than 16:10. It is not better than 3:2 though. Most books where I live have the same aspect ratio as the A series of paper, the square root of 2. That puts it pretty much bang in the middle between 3:2 and 4:3. 3:2 being slightly too tall, and 4:3 being slightly too wide. However, there are 2 reasons why I think 3:2 is still better.

1) On books some of the paper becomes unusable because of the binding. That means that the actual text in books are usually slightly more narrow than the actual book itself (and thus making it closer to 3:2).

2) Android has a notification bar as well as a navigation bar. These two eats up some of the vertical resolution.

When you take these two into consideration I think 3:2 becomes the best option for reading things such as books on a screen.

An 8.9" screen with an aspect ratio of 4:3 has an area of 38.02 (7.12 * 5.34). ~74.9% of that will be covered by the movie which gives us an area of ~28.4something

An 8.4" screen with an aspect ratio of 16:10 has an area of 31.71 (7.12 * 4.45). ~89.9% of that will be covered by the movie which gives us an area of ~28.5something

So the 16:10 aspect ratio 8.4" tablet would actually be a tiny bit bigger than the 4:3 aspect ratio 8.9" tablet for 16:9 video. I am not sure if the numbers are the same or get even worse when going even mode wide screen with 21:9.

Edit: Here is a good online calculator for these kinds of things. The only thing it doesn't give you is how much of the screen in percent that the video will take up but that's easy to calculate yourself.

I meant in landscape, since 4:3 is taller when in landscape mode. It definitely would work well with the keyboard then for typing up documents. 

There isn't a single movie that's in 16:10, most are in 16:9 or 21:9 (which makes it worse), also that calculator has some slight round off errors and does not provide dimensions/diagonals in the last section. Granted, I got to my answer of 8.16" in about a minute using some basic ratios and trig.

I meant in landscape, since 4:3 is taller when in landscape mode. It definitely would work well with the keyboard then for typing up documents. 

And I would say 3:2 (like the Surface Pro 3) and 16:10 works very well with a keyboard for typing documents as well.

There isn't a single movie that's in 16:10, most are in 16:9 or 21:9 (which makes it worse), also that calculator has some slight round off errors and does not provide dimensions/diagonals in the last section. Granted, I got to my answer of 8.16" in about a minute using some basic ratios and trig.

I never said anything about 16:10 movies. I was talking about 16:9 movies on a 16:10 screen. That's why I said about 90% of the 16:10 screen is covered by the movie while only ~75% is covered on the 4:3 screen.

So you got the answer to 8.16" 16:10 being the same size as an 8.9" 4:3 screen for watching 16:9 video? Then it's even worse than I thought. They downgraded the screen from 10.1" to ~8.16" for video watching.

I never said anything about 16:10 movies. I was talking about 16:9 movies on a 16:10 screen. That's why I said about 90% of the 16:10 screen is covered by the movie while only ~75% is covered on the 4:3 screen.

I see what you meant, 75% seems ridiculous especially if they are replacing the nexus 10 because of the lost space, but its too wide to be a Nexus 7 replacement.

So you got the answer to 8.16" 16:10 being the same size as an 8.9" 4:3 screen for watching 16:9 video? Then it's even worse than I thought. They downgraded the screen from 10.1" to ~8.16" for video watching.

It's 8.16" for a 16:9 movie on a 8.9" 4:3 display, 21:9 movies (1920x1080 with black borders reducing it to 1920x800) will take up 7.71" with a width of 2.96", only slightly larger than the Nexus 6 with a width of 2.92". To make things worse, that's only 55.55% of the screen area. Keep in mind, the Nexus 7 and 10 are both great for watching videos on because of the 16:10 and 16:9 aspect ratios. The Nexus 7 can also fit in your pocket while still having large beautiful display, which is why I love it so much. The Nexus 9 will not fit in my pocket and therefore will not be my daily driver. Saying the Nexus 6 is a replacement for it is also stupid because it costs three times as much as the Nexus 7 unless you get a wireless contract. 7" tablets are for ebooks and movies, 10" tablets are for semi-professional work which android lacks (Offcie 365 for Android tablets Microsoft?). 

I see what you meant, 75% seems ridiculous especially if they are replacing the nexus 10 because of the lost space, but its too wide to be a Nexus 7 replacement.

It's 8.16" for a 16:9 movie on a 8.9" 4:3 display, 21:9 movies (1920x1080 with black borders reducing it to 1920x800) will take up 7.71" with a width of 2.96", only slightly larger than the Nexus 6 with a width of 2.92". To make things worse, that's only 55.55% of the screen area. Keep in mind, the Nexus 7 and 10 are both great for watching videos on because of the 16:10 and 16:9 aspect ratios. The Nexus 7 can also fit in your pocket while still having large beautiful display, which is why I love it so much. The Nexus 9 will not fit in my pocket and therefore will not be my daily driver. Saying the Nexus 6 is a replacement for it is also stupid because it costs three times as much as the Nexus 7 unless you get a wireless contract. 7" tablets are for ebooks and movies, 10" tablets are for semi-professional work which android lacks (Office 365 for Android tablets Microsoft?). 

Personally I think ~10" tablets are for movies, browsing and reading. 7" is not really justifiable anymore because phones are ~5". Only 2" difference is just not enough to warrant a second device if you ask me.

I am so pissed at Google for the Nexus 9. It's not a suitable replacement for the 7 like you said, and I don't see it as a suitable replacement for the Nexus 10 either.

Personally I think ~10" tablets are for movies, browsing and reading. 7" is not really justifiable anymore because phones are ~5". Only 2" difference is just not enough to warrant a second device if you ask me.

I am so pissed at Google for the Nexus 9. It's not a suitable replacement for the 7 like you said, and I don't see it as a suitable replacement for the Nexus 10 either.

Well, 7 inch tablets are still good ebook readers and they are good for kids who can't necessarily get a $649.99 device, plus 10 inch tablets are still quite big for a lot of people. Once I get a Nexus 6 my Nexus 7 will turn into a remote for my TV, however I don't think 7" tablets don't have a place as they still make for good portable ebook readers.

And I would say 3:2 (like the Surface Pro 3) and 16:10 works very well with a keyboard for typing documents as well.

you know it would be easier just going 16:9 and 16:12 (which is 4:3) and then use the pythagorean to find the diagonal ratios ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I think there is still a nice advantage to a 7" tablet vs a 5" phone. The extra two inches across the diagonal add quite a bit of area to the screen.

Admittedly not happy with my Nexus 10 so I will not be refreshing with a Nexus 9 or anything.  But I desperately need a new phone so the Nexus 6 is probably the one.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Admittedly not happy with my Nexus 10 so I will not be refreshing with a Nexus 9 or anything. But I desperately need a new phone so the Nexus 6 is probably the one.

Why are you desperate for a new phone?

Why are you desperate for a new phone?

My current phone (HTC One S) is about to kick it.  It was running great back in original stock but when my old carrier refused to unlock the phone I decided to do it myself.  Found guides on XDA and followed them to root and unlock, decided to flash Cyanogen too because "it's daaa beeest guy stock is gaaaarb" and such.  Cyanogen was good but less stable than stock, then one day it wanted to do an update.  As soon as I tapped yes the phone bricked.  After hours and hours and HOURS I managed to get it turning on again but Cyanomod wouldn't boot at all, ever, just load infinitely unless I cut the power.  So I flashed CM again, no effect.  Flashed a few other random ROMs that looked cool, most didn't work, some that did were severely unstable.  Flashed stock back onto it and wouldn't work.  The ROM I run right now is a Pac-Man Nightly because it's the closest thing to functional.  Phone works (but keypad during call doesn't, calling automated systems is a blast), texting works (double and triple sends and receives regularly), WiFi works, Bluetooth is broken.  About three times a day Android Keyboard just *disappears* and will not reappear unless the phone is rebooted.  It crashes maybe once a day and just generally slows down significantly if not rebooted at least once a day.  On top of all this it also took a good three hours of nonsense work just to get my PC to recognize the phone when plugged into USB (before it worked fine, and in bootloader it works fine, but in the ROMs itself it wouldn't).

Tl;dr I'm getting a new phone and throwing this one in a bonfire at an end of summer party.  Nothing against HTC One S, great hardware no complaints.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Does anyone have a link for the full event?

Does anyone have a link for the full event?

There was no event. It just appeared on their website all of a sudden.

I think the Nexus 9 looks pretty awesome, to be honest. I wouldn't even consider a tablet that wasn't 4:3/3:2... the 16:9 ones look dumb to me. Then again, I don't watch a lot of video on my phone and can't imagine I would on a tablet either.

I intend to make it my first tablet, just as soon as I can get the LTE model on contract.

It looks a lot like the Moto G but with different edges.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard