YouTube Ads Lead To Exploit Kits, Hit US Victims

RainfallWithin

Article from blog.trendmicro.com and written by Joseph C Chen: http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/youtube-ads-lead-to-exploit-kits-hit-us-victims/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Anti-MalwareBlog+%28Trendlabs+Security+Intelligence+Blog%29

Malicious ads are a common method of sending users to sites that contain malicious code. Recently, however, these ads have showed up on a new attack platform: YouTube.

Over the past few months, we have been monitoring a malicious campaign that used malicious ads to direct users to various malicious sites. Users in the United States have been affected almost exclusively, with more than 113,000 victims in the United States alone over a 30-day period.

malad.jpg
Figure 1. Countries affected by this malicious ad campaign

Recently, we saw that this campaign was showing up in ads via YouTube as well. This was a worrying development: not only were malicious ads showing up on YouTube, they were on videos with more than 11 million views – in particular, a music video uploaded by a high-profile record label.

The ads we’ve observed do not directly lead to malicious sites from YouTube. Instead, the traffic passes through two advertising sites, suggesting that the cybercriminals behind this campaign bought their traffic from legitimate ad providers.

In order to make their activity look legitimate, the attackers used the modified DNS information of a Polish government site. The attackers did not compromise the actual site; instead they were able to change the DNS information by adding subdomains that lead to their own servers. (How they were able to do this is unclear.)

The traffic passes through two redirection servers (located in the Netherlands) before ending up at the malicious server, located in the United States.

The exploit kit used in this attack was the Sweet Orange exploit kit. Sweet Orange is known for using four vulnerabilities, namely:

CVE-2013-2460 – Java
CVE-2013-2551 – Internet Explorer
CVE-2014-0515 - Flash
CVE-2014-0322 – Internet Explorer

Based on our analyses of the campaign, we were able to identify that this version of Sweet Orange uses vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer. The URL of the actual payload constantly changes, but they all use subdomains on the same Polish site mentioned earlier. However, the behavior of these payloads are identical.

The final payloads of this attack are  variants of the KOVTER malware family, which are detected as TROJ_KOVTER.SM. This particular family is known for its use in various ransomware attacks, although they lack the encryption of more sophisticated attacks like Cryptolocker. The websites that TROJ_KOVTER.SM accesses in order to display the fake warning messages are no longer accessible.

Users who keep their systems up to date will not affected by this attack, as Microsoft released a patch for this particular vulnerability in May 2013. We recommend that read and apply the software security advisories by vendors like Microsoft, Java, and Adobe, as old vulnerabilities are still being exploited by attackers. Applying the necessary patches is essential part of keeping systems secure. Backing up files is also a good security practice to prevent data loss in the event of an attack like this.

With additional insight from Rhena Inocencio

The following hashes are detected as part of this attack:

09BD2F32048273BD4A5B383824B9C3364B3F2575
0AEAD03C6956C4B0182A9AC079CA263CD851B122
1D35B49D92A6E41703F3A3011CA60BCEFB0F1025
32D104272EE93F55DFFD5A872FFA6099A3FBE4AA
395B603BAD6AFACA226A215F10A446110B4A2A9D
6D49793FE9EED12BD1FAA4CB7CBB81EEDA0F74B6
738C81B1F04C7BC59AD2AE3C9E09E305AE4FEE2D
A1A5F8A789B19BE848B0F2A00AE1D0ECB35DCDB0
A7F3217EC1998393CBCF2ED582503A1CE4777359
C75C0942F7C5620932D1DE66A1CE60B7AB681C7F
E61F76F96A60225BD9AF3AC2E207EA340302B523
FF3C497770EB1ACB6295147358F199927C76AF21

We have already notified Google about this incident.

Personal Thoughts

I believe that Google will purposefully take as long as it can to solve this situation, as a result of them making money from the whole process.

This topic was explained by Linus on 17th October 2014 WAN Show: http://youtu.be/77ovvCwN-sA?t=1h10m40s

Yet another reason to use an adblocker.

or don't use adblocker and be careful to not click on ads or links that you don't know where they will take you.

Or use adblock. 

...and contribute to one of the reasons why these ads exist  -_-

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

or don't use adblocker and be careful to not click on ads or links that you don't know where they will take you.

invisible adds

there a thing... you can accidentally click on them

plus i just dont want to see them at all.... i watch perfectly LEGAL tv sites and they have pop up adds that annoy the crap out of me, i just dont what them at all.....

btw, i have adblock disabled on LTT

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

...and contribute to one of the reasons why these ads exist -_-

But with adblock, I won't see them. So they can exists, doesn't hurt me. And if I was to stop using adblock, I could us ghostery which does the exact same, somewhat. 

But with adblock, I won't see them. So they can exists, doesn't hurt me. And if I was to stop using adblock, I could us ghostery which does the exact same, somewhat. 

sure, if you want to be a dick to the people who work hard to make the content that entertains you.

Boom

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

btw, i have adblock disabled on LTT

I'll do the same as soon as they get rid of all the analytics and tracking junk.  Don't want none of that and I'm more than happy to pay a fee to make up for blocking the ads.

post-139790-0-46613800-1413303488.jpg

Until the advertising networks gets this under some control, I will have full adblock active; no whitelist, no exception!

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

sure, if you want to be a dick to the people who work hard to make the content that entertains you.

I am only entertained by potato's. So yeah 

I am only entertained by potato's. So yeah 

if you are entertained by potatoes I have to ask. How did you get adblock on an Xbox or Playstation?  :P

Personal Thoughts

I believe that Google will purposefully take as long as it can to solve this situation, as a result of them making money from the whole process.

I dont think so i have seen the same ads for ages before i used adblock and google has done nothing about them

if you are entertained by potatoes I have to ask. How did you get adblock on an Xbox or Playstation?  :P

My ps3 runs linux. so that should help. 

Or use adblock and stop companies trying to sell you shit, or now seing fucking justin bieber when watching music...

Who in the hell clicks on ads anyways? If your interested in it, google it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Don't click on ads on youtube fullstop. Watch them, give people money, don't give the advertisers the money.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I'll do the same as soon as they get rid of all the analytics and tracking junk.  Don't want none of that and I'm more than happy to pay a fee to make up for blocking the ads.

The NewRelic and Google Analytics are simply used to track site usage statistics and monitor the site's usage and performance.

The Google adsense cookie gives personalised ads to you; you can opt out of it at http://www.google.com/ads/preferences

The Facebook and G+ cookies are to allow the "Like" and "+1" buttons at the bottom of the site to function, although I'm not aware of anyone who uses them

As for the story, this is very worrying. I had thought that Google reviews all sites that publish Google ads (and reviews the ads themselves) to make sure that they are free of malware and are safe to be directed to. The fact that this has got past their system, however they managed it, is not a good sign, and potentially indicates that there may be more similar malware out there on even the biggest legitimate sites that is yet to be discovered.

HTTP/2 203

Personal Thoughts

I think that is counter productive for them they don't want to get a reputation for having malware in their ads because if it becomes a bigger issue websites will switch to another advertisers, and then the ad space they sell will be worth less.. they stand to lose much more money if this is not resolved quickly. 

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

...and contribute to one of the reasons why these ads exist -_-

Ads existed before adblock, not vice versa lol. Explain how use of adblock makes ppl to create malicious ads please, im all ears.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

What about all the ads that are dicks? like the HELLO ad...

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..