Do you consider boot times "system performance?"

My AsRock 970DE3/U3S3 has a pretty long boot time, the thingy that pops up first when you boot up your PC, from then on it's silky smooth as I have an SSD.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

when I'm doing overclock testing, being able to boot quickly is the difference between an evening vs many evenings. I would consider boot times to be a feature/convenience, more than an indicator of performance.

Oh yes. Testing to see if 4.8GHz+ is stable is always handy with a fast boot time. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

If you are rebooting client computers frequently you will absolutely consider boot times "system performance"

Nothing sucks worse than installing new hardware on 30 computers that take 2 minutes each to boot fully.  

84 days up time right now, I rarely see my computer boot so it doesn't really matter to me lol

probably should restart it lol

It's not XP, there's no reason to afaik.

Win8 booted in 6 seconds on my barracuda, now in 3. Windows 8 just generally boots quicker.

Boot times arent important to me since i usually go get a drink or something when i boot up my computer; however my old vista pc with a 5400rpm hard drive booted in like 2 minutes; It was vista and the wd green certainly doesnt help.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

my PC is either on or in standby, so I don't care. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Win8 booted in 6 seconds on my barracuda, now in 3. Windows 8 just generally boots quicker.

And people look at me funny when I say "oh yeah I like Windows 8 a lot!" They then tell me "ugh but the START MENU!" Guise, you can replace it for free and there's numerous options to choose from.

The rest of the UI isn't even that bad in my opinion as you can turn most of it off within Classic Shell.

Don't even get me started on how amazing the Task Manager is.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

84 days up time right now, I rarely see my computer boot so it doesn't really matter to me lol

probably should restart it lol

--> You have 300 updates to install. Thats what it would be with my old vista PC :D

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

i like having it boot fast if I am sitting ther waiting for it. Most of the time my pc is never off so yeah...

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Overall system response time and snapiness is a far better metric for measuring the value of an SSD as opposed to boot time in my opinion.  I've been using SSD's as boot drives for about 3 years now and application load time and responsiveness is why I appreciate it so much, as opposed to boot time.  Although boot time is awesome as well.  But when you are working on a deadline, having Word and Excel and PDF's and explorer windows open almost instantly is where I see the value. 

To anybody reading:

what about boot times on phones/tablets/other devices?

My phone is crap and takes like 45 seconds to turn on with lots of lag after doing so.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Boot times are extremely important, but if I had to choose between good boot times and better system running then it would be the latter every time.

My laptop at my new work is a plain jane i5 on a HDD, very slow... but not powering down takes most of the noticeable issues away, still slower than my 6 year old i7 920 + SSD system by a looong way haha

Is boot time important to me. Yes.

Do I consider it system performance. Not really.

Thanks to SSDs boot times have become more important to me and I guess I do consider it system performance.

Well if I go to get food or drink and come back and it's still booting that's where the line is.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Boot time can be a clear indication that the Video.exe you've just downloaded my have actually been something else.

Anything above 1-2 "spins" of the awesome Win8 loading animation and I'm getting impatient.

Boot times are extremely important to me, especially now that I have an SSD and Windows 10. Cut my boot times in half... AGAIN.

While others may not consider it a good gauge of system performance, I think it must be at least a good indicator of how well your components work together.

Seeing just how fast your CPU can come out of a cold start, respond to the power signal, go through the BIOS, fire up the boot drive, grab the OS and shove it into memory, then run it. For all that stuff to happen in under 15 seconds is actually pretty impressive, when you think about it. It's also nice when you're able to launch into the Internet instantly after booting into the desktop, whereas with HDDs you still have to wait for everything else to load.

I see SSDs as unlocking a lot of the untapped speed and power of modern CPUs. Since the CPU was a thing, we have been stuck with CPUs that have been constantly getting faster and faster and faster, but HDD technology has hardly changed apart from data density and they've been snailing far behind the CPUs. With SSDs, we now have storage drives that are so fast that they can keep up with the CPUs, making the wait times basically boil down to transfer times of electrons.

no because you can have a dual core pentium wiht an ssd that boots faster than a 14 core xeon on a hdd

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

And people look at me funny when I say "oh yeah I like Windows 8 a lot!" They then tell me "ugh but the START MENU!" Guise, you can replace it for free and there's numerous options to choose from.

The rest of the UI isn't even that bad in my opinion as you can turn most of it off within Classic Shell.

Don't even get me started on how amazing the Task Manager is.

Too true. When i built my pc, i didnt want to use win 8 but im happy i bought it. It boots fast and i mean, the menu at first is bad but once you get the hang of it you dont care anymore.

Too true. When i built my pc, i didnt want to use win 8 but im happy i bought it. It boots fast and i mean, the menu at first is bad but once you get the hang of it you dont care anymore.

Well if you bought it and aren't 100% satisfied with it, I'm pretty sure you can get the free upgrade to 10 when it officially comes out.

Having tried it out though, I wouldn't pay more than $20. I get that it's a technical preview right now, but there's so many issues that are just Microsoft jamming it's Metro UI d*ck down your throat (ahem, Bing search on the taskbar).

Well if I go to get food or drink and come back and it's still booting that's where the line is.

Windows-Vista-Help.jpg

Windows-Vista-Help.jpg

My dad used to be able to go make a coffee (grind beans froth milk etc.) and come back and it still was loading with 2 velociraptors in RAID 0...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

They aren't important to me because I never need to boot, but it is part of the performance imho

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz