Brigestone releases air-free tires you never have to inflate.

13CA350

At the Paris Motor Show here, Bridgestone showed off a second-generation prototype of its Air Free tire, which replaces conventional tires' cushion of air with an array of shock-absorbing resin bands that resemble thick, angled spokes. The outside of the airless tire is coated with a replaceable tread made of a thin band of solid rubber.

Why mess with the proven design of tires? Of course, there's no such thing as a flat tire, but the main reason is to improve recyclability compared to conventional tires, said Olivier Monbet, leader of Bridgestone's technical department for France and Benelux.

"Every part of this tire is recyclable," Monbet said.

Personally, I think this is pretty cool. I think @LinusTech should put a pair on his Lambo. With airless tires I think that cars such as the Tesla, Googles Self-Driving cars, and the Lamborghini Asteron. The only thing  I can see being a problem is extreme heat (Where I live) extreme cold (Where I live) and road debris breaking them. What do you think?

Original source: http://www.cnet.com/news/out-with-the-air-bridgestone-shows-off-non-pneumatic-tires/

They don't look too bad, could have some awesome designs also with that

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

Kewl , Must install this on my prototype anti zombie apocalypse car..

Agreed.

I wonder what the police will think of this, I can see it being quickly outlawed in the US.

Yet I'm willing to be the police themselves will get some.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

ok, but how well do these work with 1000 ft.lbs. of torque?

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

So essentially a tweaked design of these...

Someone else remembers! Even Cnet, which this article is taken from, reported on those tyres way back in 08 http://www.cnet.com/news/new-honeycomb-tire-is-bulletproof/ so really this is nothing new, just a consumer grade version of military tech.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

This isn't a new technology...

Agreed.

I wonder what the police will think of this, I can see it being quickly outlawed in the US.

Why do you think it will be outlawed? They're airless tires...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This isn't a new technology...

Why do you think it will be outlawed? They're airless tires...

Can't be taken out with a spike strip.

Can't be taken out with a spike strip.

So... Put barbs in the spikes that come out and harpoon the damn thing. Problem solved.

Better yet, make some that impale the rear end of the vehicle. Problem solved.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Someone else remembers! Even Cnet, which this article is taken from, reported on those tyres way back in 08 http://www.cnet.com/news/new-honeycomb-tire-is-bulletproof/ so really this is nothing new, just a consumer grade version of military tech.

That's not true. That's like saying the Samsung S5 is nothing new. It's just an improved S1. Except the S5 has even more in common with the S1 than this tyre has with that tyre. Bridgestone made their own design with their own materials and did their own testing. The only thing it shares with that other tyre is that it has bits of crap instead of air.

If you actually read the whole article and didn't simply copy paste you would include important info about the wheel having issues with lateral grip (side to side) on turns as the wheel is too stiff. As the tire is now, it only works if you drive in a straight line or turn very gradually over several miles just to make a right turn.

So... Put barbs in the spikes that come out and harpoon the damn thing. Problem solved.

Better yet, make some that impale the rear end of the vehicle. Problem solved.

Possibly I guess. Still, chances are they will outlaw it for civilian use.

If you actually read the whole article and didn't simply copy paste you would include important info about the wheel having issues with lateral grip (side to side) on turns as the wheel is too stiff. As the tire is now, it only works if you drive in a straight line or turn very gradually over several miles just to make a right turn.

I'm assuming it's to do with the rigidity of the material being too high, so it doesn't flex like a normal tyre over a steel/alloy wheel. At least it's progress, and will eventually lead to the replacement of tyres as we know it.

That's not true. That's like saying the Samsung S5 is nothing new. It's just an improved S1. Except the S5 has even more in common with the S1 than this tyre has with that tyre. Bridgestone made their own design with their own materials and did their own testing. The only thing it shares with that other tyre is that it has bits of crap instead of air.

By calling it nothing new, what was intended is that the technology is already there, it has already been achieved previously. Bridgestone have taken the same principles in the design of the original, and made it their own effectively, by experimenting and developing the "idea" to make it ideal for their specifications. At least from what I've read I inferred that.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Glad to see I'm not the only one who remembered that video.

Same here, i remember that too.

Anyone seen these?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

By calling it nothing new, what was intended is that the technology is already there, it has already been achieved previously. Bridgestone have taken the same principles in the design of the original, and made it their own effectively, by experimenting and developing the "idea" to make it ideal for their specifications. At least from what I've read I inferred that.

That's kind of like saying none of the Intels are new technology after the 8086 though. In order for their to be new technology, it doesn't have to be a new idea. Most new technology is a development of previous technologies.

but but but but....what about the skids? For the love of all that is holy people! Think of the maaaad Skids!! 

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G | Asus P8H61-M Evo Rev B Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Samsung 840 Evo 512GB Seagate Barracude 7200.12 ST3500413AS, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 5400RPM OCZ ZS Series 650W Cooler Master Elite 430 Windowed Logitech LS21 Creative Fatal1ty Logitech G500 Razer BlackWidow 2010 | 2x Dell U1214H | 1x Ilyama ProLite E2407HDS

What's the difference between this and Bridgestone's first prototype demoed a year or so ago? (btw they've only been demonstrated not "released")

Also most tyre companies are working on air-less tyres, so no it's not a new idea but it'd be stupid to complain about who copied who unless they blatantly use the same design.

but but but but....what about the skids? For the love of all that is holy people! Think of the maaaad Skids!! 

I'm guessing these will be even better since they're harder laterally, also after a day of skids you just slip on a new thread and drive home. I guess theoretically you could have drift threads, slick threads, summer threads, winter threads, off road threads etc and just swap them at will, somehow I doubt it will be that easy though.

Looks fugly imo... Hopefully it'll come in the classic tire look, or even white-wall if possible...

Same here, i remember that too.

Anyone seen these?

Seriously want those tyres, fucking awesome. I'd love those cornering tyres combined with the fuel efficiency ones but the little kid in me straight up wants maglev tyres :D

Nevermind the skids, that music...... relaxing cruise music *sigh* amazing.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

I don't think air tires are that much of a hassle but having FULLY recyclable tires is a big deal to me

ok, but how well do these work with 1000 ft.lbs. of torque?

cars with that much power weren't using conventional tires anyway.  This is something for average joe's toyota camery or ford focus.  I doubt these things would work well on heavy trucks and fullsize body on frame SUVs either.

Corsair Obsidian 800D | Msi GD-80 z68 | Intel Core i72600k (stock speeds at the moment) | Msi Gtx 570 twin frozr III | 8GB Corsair Dominator @1600mHz | Coolermaster evo 212 temporary) | Cooled by Gelid Wings | Intel SRT smart caching | Windows 7 ultimate x64

Agreed.

Why?

EDIT: I'm dumb nvm. It should still be possible to badly damage the tires with spikes though.