A Danish company is building a $335 million seawall around New York

PillowSmoke
"In 2012, Hurricane Sandy destroyed homes, wasted businesses, flooded tunnels, and submerged subways. The storm brought tens of thousands of lives to a halt, and revealed New York City’s vulnerabilities to severe climate conditions and rising waters."

“I saw the devastation,” says Henk Ovink. “But, I also saw the opportunity Sandy brought.”

BIG-U_140326_Web-Images_3_The-Harbor-Ber

"In July 2013, the proposal phase of the competition closed with 148 entries. Almost one year (and many jury presentations) later, six winners were announced. One of the winning proposals was Bjarke Ingels Group’s Big U. It’s not simply a big wall — at nearly 10 miles long, the system would wrap around the southern half of Manhattan and mix different kinds of spaces, from parks to community areas, with infrastructure designed to fight flooding."

"Developed in conversation with residents, developers, businesses, and city officials, the Big U is a continuous protective structure that blends and adapts to each neighborhood it passes through. In the Lower East Side neighborhood, a raised stretch of land known as the Bridging Berm acts as a natural dam, but also provides recreational green space for residents in the neighborhood. Panels installed on the underside of FDR Drive will be lit and decorated by local artists, creating a space for a seasonal market. But in times of emergency, those same panels can be flipped down to create a floodwall. Ovink calls the features "a chain of pearls." But, he insists, all the components are "tied with one strong strategy of protecting Manhattan." Big U was awarded $335 million dollars to start on implementation."

"Other winning proposals address other flooding threats in the region, from Long Island and the Bronx, to Staten Island and New Jersey. Each project requires further funding and coordinated effort between local governments and communities. But the radical solutions that emerged from Rebuild By Design have already inspired similar design initiatives. "President Obama announced the National Disaster Resiliency Competition based on the success of Rebuild by Design," Ovink says. "Another billion dollars of disaster recovery money is now attached to it."

And to all of the new yorkers of the forum. Were you affected in 2012 when there was Hurricane sandy? I did, basically lost power for 1 week. No internet, No power, No Heat, NOTHING!

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Here come the cost overruns.

$335 Million?, not a chance.

OH LOOK, MORE WAYS FOR THE US TO DEEPEN THE DEBT

Yeah...because the damage from Hurricane Sandy didn't add to the debt. Do you complain when they build ditches too?

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

a nice proposal i believe...could be useful

18d5628e49ae28d45449bdcb45a98522b5b94618

Details separate people.

I lost power for three hours, and I lost a lawn chair, but that was the extent of our damage. Some didn't make it out so easily, in fact you still see the devastation when driving around on Staten Island.

And I know of the worse things in the world, but this one affects me on a more personal level.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Is the United States REALLY in the position to do this? Economically speaking they should be focusing on more important things. 

being im a new yorker. i would love this project (specially in long island) theres no need to complain about debt because we are the country that controls the transactions to other countries through sanctions. debt to the US is childs play 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

That better be New York's own cash spent and not from the feds.

Middle of nowhere USA is so dull, I don't see why companies don't try to make those places more exciting. Humans are probably one of the only species that purposely builds homes in dangerous areas and STAY there.

Is the United States REALLY in the position to do this? Economically speaking they should be focusing on more important things. 

wait what? How can they not be in a position to stop future damage? Thats like saying that there isn't room in the budget for lifewests just after one of your boats was sunk.

Do you even know how much crap the US spends money on? They literally are producing tons of shit that their own military says that they don't need but it keeps getting funding because it makes jobs in important districts.

335 million is nothing in the grand scheme of things....If this works, then it could safe billions in the future in case of future floods.

That better be New York's own cash spent and not from the feds.

Middle of nowhere USA is so dull, I don't see why companies don't try to make those places more exciting. Humans are probably one of the only species that purposely builds homes in dangerous areas and STAY there.

I just don't understand why you build houses like you do in the states....seriously. No wonder it can't survive the smallest natural disasters when you do it as cheaply as its done in the US and Australia to give a few examples

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I just don't understand why you build houses like you do in the states....seriously. No wonder it can't survive the smallest natural disasters when you do it as cheaply as its done in the US and Australia to give a few examples

My house was built before USA owned California, so it was made with quality.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

still not as cool as Londons solution. :P but i can easily see why this would be considered a good idea. although i believe it would be in new yorks interest to slow carbon emissions world wide, otherwise that wall might not last.

because the billions in damages because of the recent hurricane doesn't outweigh a 335 million investment towards prevention of another billion dollar flood.

still not as cool as Londons solution. :P but i can easily see why this would be considered a good idea. although i believe it would be in new yorks interest to slow carbon emissions world wide, otherwise that wall might not last.

Carbon emissions for new yorkers is woefully tiny compared to the entirity of china, or any sector of the manufacturing industry of the us. If you even give half a shit on carbon emissions, you should first make your home completely green efficient or you're just being a hypocrite.

People complaining about this because of America's financial state but are u guys forgetting there spending billions on a pointless (except for a very select few) war? At least this is going to give the whole of an American city some sort of gain unlike these wars in the middle east!

Bjarke Ingels

Most Dutch name ever?

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

People complaining about this because of America's financial state but are u guys forgetting there spending billions on a pointless (except for a very select few) war? At least this is going to give the whole of an American city some sort of gain unlike these wars in the middle east!

You want to complain about how much we're spending on war? How about the trillions of dollars we're throwing in to useless social systems. So far war isn't the most expensive thing, or even close to what we're spending money on.

Ovink is the former director general of water planning in the Netherlands, a country that’s been dealing with flooding and water management on a huge scale for centuries.

And this is why it will be good, we gots da experience :D.

OT: Really cool project, curios on how this will actually look / behave when not activated to protect against flooding.

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G | Asus P8H61-M Evo Rev B Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Samsung 840 Evo 512GB Seagate Barracude 7200.12 ST3500413AS, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 5400RPM OCZ ZS Series 650W Cooler Master Elite 430 Windowed Logitech LS21 Creative Fatal1ty Logitech G500 Razer BlackWidow 2010 | 2x Dell U1214H | 1x Ilyama ProLite E2407HDS

This undertaking will require a tremendous amount of man power. That's a lot of jobs which will stimulate the economy. In many ways, large scale public undertakings are the best thing for economies

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

You want to complain about how much we're spending on war? How about the trillions of dollars we're throwing in to useless social systems. So far war isn't the most expensive thing, or even close to what we're spending money on.

my point was this is going to give an actual gain to people i have no idea about these social systems as i don't live in the US nor do i pay much attention to politics besides whats thrown in my face eg the isis war.