HBM is a 3D Stacked Memory That Promises 9 Faster Performance Than GDDR5. Will Be Featured in Pirate Islands AMD R9 390X & 380X Cards.

HBM was originally developed in tandem by both SK Hynix and AMD to replace GDDR5 as the new standard for bandwidth hungry processors such as GPUs.  GDDR5 performance scaling has slowed down dramatically and grown exponentially more expensive in the last few years. Faster GDDR5 modules and wider memory interfaces were only going to take us so far, a new standard had to replace the aging technology.

AMD Will release cards with this new memory next year.

The first graphics products to feature HBM will be AMD’s 20nm Pirate Island Rx 300 series GPUs in 2015.  In addition to all the new architectural improvements coming with the Pirate Islands graphics architecture. The Rx 300 series is expected to be the first to feature TSMC’s 20nm manufacturing technology a full shrink from the current 28nm technology. And also be the first to be equipped with HBM.

Nvidia will use it a year later in 2016.

Nvidia will be using 3D stacked memory on its GPUs starting with Pascal in 2016, a full year after AMD. Volta was Nvidia’s scheduled GPU for 2015 that was supposed to use the Hybrid Memory Cube or HMC for short which was s 3D stacked memory technology competing with HBM. However after HMC’s development fell behind the roadmap it put a lot of pressure on Nvidia to look for an alternative technology, which they did. What’s painfully ironic however is that Nvidia ended up using the AMD and SK Hynix co-developed HBM with Pascal. Which the company confirmed earlier this year. Nvidia very rarely uses a technology developed by their competition if ever.

AMD bet on HBM early on, while Nvidia bet on the competing HMC standard. It seems AMD bet on the right technology and they stand to gain an entire year’s worth of exclusive access to the technology. Nvidia will simply have to make due with GDDR5 for 2015.

Hynix-HBM-15.jpg

Hynix-HBM-9.jpg

I wonder if it will actually make a difference.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

about time. they talked about this months ago. According to Nvidia, they will feature 3D stacked ram on Pascal...so a little while down the road ^^

Please do not use black text. Many users, like me, are using the dark theme! 

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

There's absolutely no way it'll be 9 times faster

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Only memory bandwidth is totally NOT the issue right now. Memory speeds/bandwidth are fine as they are

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Memory bandwidth is barely a bottleneck...so this will make next to 0 difference in fps.

But lower power consumption is always a plus, especially for AMD ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Looks like the Hybrid Memory Cube will join XDR memory in the list of promising but abandoned memory techs.

I wonder if it will actually make a difference.

i gain like 1 fps when I overclock my 1300mhz gddr5 to 1550mhz so.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

This reminds me of 2008 when AMD released the first card with GDDR5 memory the HD 4870. Nvidia had to use a memory interface that was twice as wide as the one on the 4870 to maintain similar bandwidth with the GTX 280. Which inflated the die size, power and most importantly cost.

Memory bandwidth is currently the most important bottleneck for APUs. Which is where I bet AMD is going to take this next.

AMD cards always had more bandwidth than the nvidia equivalents. Which is why they performed better at higher resolutions and anti aliasing.

The HD 7950 for example beat the GTX 680 in most 2560x1440 benchmarks at the time. And it was positioned to compete with the GTX 660 Ti. Being 200$ less expensive than the 680.

HBM has been available for a while now. It's nice to see AMD finally using the end product for intended purposes. All we need now is them to stack some HBM on-chip with the next generation of APU's. Come on AMD give me Carrizo with Excavator and 640 GCN 1.2 streams paired with HBM.

This should be merged with the 390x/380x thread. This is a better explanation of HBM itself, but we already had the context it was coming on the 380x/390x.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This is the kind of thing that will let you run more and Higher refresh rate high resolution monitors without really bad fps.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

uh, isnt the max speed of 16x gen3 lane 32GB/s?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

hmm i would like to have an HBM PCIe memory card for an APU...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Indeed it is, tho the bandwidth of GPU memory is critical to how fast the GPU itself can operate. The issue isn't how fast the CPU and GPU can communicate, it's how fast the memory is to allow the GPU itself to do what it needs to do.

hmm i would like to have an HBM PCIe memory card for an APU...

I would prefer on package instead of an add-on card. Just stack 128 MB+ of it on-chip and then the CPU cores can utilize it as L3 as well (win/win).

This is why Skylake E comes with PCIe 4.0. Both Hybrid Memory Cube and HBM have too much bandwidth for current busses.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Will it better allow me to run star citizen on ultra? at 1080, 1440, or 4k? at or above 60Hz? if so good, if not, who cares.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Wow, AMD clearly has some big plans for the 300 series cards. If they can deliver on half of this it will make for an impressive product.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Will it better allow me to run star citizen on ultra? at 1080, 1440, or 4k? at or above 60Hz? if so good, if not, who cares.

It will certainly help in the endeavor, but other GPU tech has to upgrade with it. That said, I doubt Star Citizen will be as taxing as the devs claim.

I really don't find a point in going with EVEN HIGHER bandwidth memory. Hell, Nvidia still uses a 256-bit bus on the 980. Granted, it is pretty much the single-GPU king, but still.

LOL, like those 4 MB AGP cards for intel onboard GPUs xD?

I have two of those. :D PC66 CL3 goodness.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I really don't find a point in going with EVEN HIGHER bandwidth memory. Hell, Nvidia still uses a 256-bit bus on the 980. Granted, it is pretty much the single-GPU king, but still.

I have two of those. :D PC66 CL3 goodness.

The reason for that is both AMD and Nvidia has adopted a new technology known as lossless pixel compression. This is also why the R9 285 has only a 256-bit bus and out performs the R9 280. I personally am hoping we see GCN 1.2 implemented into AMD's next generation APU's. As this technology allows for up to 40% better memory bandwidth.

The reason for that is both AMD and Nvidia has adopted a new technology known as lossless pixel compression. This is also why the R9 285 has only a 256-bit bus and out performs the R9 280. I personally am hoping we see GCN 1.2 implemented into AMD's next generation APU's. As this technology allows for up to 40% better memory bandwidth.

Everyone knows more bits is more better. ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)