Windows 9 has an official name: Windows 10?

Dietrichw

I can't see a use for that, but I'm not a "power user"......yet (taking IT classes)

Makes multi tasking, and productivity a wonderful thing. Especially compared to either manually looking through open windows on Windows, or alt-tabbing through them.

One button click, you see it, you click it done.

It's also been in Linux for years. 

It's great Windows finally has it, and looking from the photos it's a good implementation as well.

Also now being able to finally ctrl-v paste into the CMD, it's glorious.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Makes multi tasking, and productivity a wonderful thing. Especially compared to either manually looking through open windows on Windows, or alt-tabbing through them.

One button click, you see it, you click it done.

It's also been in Linux for years. 

It's great Windows finally has it, and looking from the photos it's a good implementation as well.

Also now being able to finally ctrl-v paste into the CMD, it's glorious.

Does it work with multi display?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

From memory...

... versions of Windows.

hehe...a+ for effort...but i just aimed at 'there are 10 kinds/types of people' ^^

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

I would imagine 3.51 just beeing a x.x1 update that they don't count it as a major one.

They had this reasoning for nameing Windows 7, 7. So if that reasoning fails if they count 3.51

If 3.51 is NOT counted Windows 7 is the 8th NT installment, if it is counted it is the 9th NT installment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT#Releases

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Hmm I really like what I see so far! Although I really dont have any major issues with 8.1. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I would imagine 3.51 just beeing a x.x1 update that they don't count it as a major one.

They had this reasoning for nameing Windows 7, 7. Så it that reasoning fails if they count 3.51

Except NT 3.51 was the third release of the NT line, 9 months after NT 3.5 (and 3 months before Win95).

So NT 3.1 (brand extension of the similar Windows 3.1), NT 3.5, NT 3.51, NT 4.0, NT 5.0 (Windows 2000), NT 5.1 (32-bit XP), NT 5.2 (64-bit XP/Server 2003/RS & Home Server), NT 6.0 (Vista & Server 2008), NT 6.1 (Win 7, Server 2008 R2 & Home Server 2011), NT 6.2 (Win 8 & Server 2012), NT 6.3 (Win 8.1 & Server 2012 R2).

hehe...a+ for effort...but i just aimed at 'there are 10 kinds/types of people' ^^

Ahh, Binary jokes. Especially written down like that, they slip past a LOT of people! xD

Looks like Windows went to the Nvidia school of skipping numbers.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

It's sad that Microsoft has succumbed to the 'all software is now called "apps" ' idiocy.

post-75028-0-86444700-1412101355_thumb.j

Does it work with multi display?

Oh certainly, each desktop can also have it's own "Mission Control", and you can set which desktops are simply extensions of your main one, or if they're entirely separate entities with their own open applications running.

If Windows 10 can do it in a similar fashion, it'll be wonderful. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

If 3.51 is NOT counted Windows 7 is the 8th NT installment, if it is counted it is the 9th NT installment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT#Releases

I am obviously ignoring 5.2 since i wasn't a real major releases

Except NT 3.51 was the third release of the NT line, 9 months after NT 3.5 (and 3 months before Win95).

So NT 3.1 (brand extension of the similar Windows 3.1), NT 3.5, NT 3.51, NT 4.0, NT 5.0 (Windows 2000), NT 5.1 (32-bit XP), NT 5.2 (64-bit XP/Server 2003/RS & Home Server), NT 6.0 (Vista & Server 2008), NT 6.1 (Win 7, Server 2008 R2 & Home Server 2011), NT 6.1 (Win 8 & Server 2012), NT 6.3 (Win 8.1 & Server 2012 R2).

I am just saying what was said when Windows 7 was released. They can use the same logic here to explain why 10 instead of 9.

But on stage they chose to just say "When you see it finished you would agree it is that big of a step" or something like that d:

But still, it makes sense if you accept Windows 7 and Windows 8 naming

I also suspect it to be kind of a marketing trick. Normal users will just hear 10 and think 10 >> 8 and "Ooh, it much be really updated/better then"

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

I am just saying what was said when Windows 7 was released. They can use the same logic here to explain why 10 instead of 9.

But on stage they chose to just say "When you see it finished you would agree it is that big of a step" or something like that d:

But still, it makes sense if you accept Windows 7 and Windows 8 naming

Except 5.2 WAS a major release - for Windows Server. Sure 64-bit XP didn't make a big splash on desktops/workstations back in the day but until Server 2003/R2 (NT 5.2) the last Server version of Windows was Windows 2000 Server (NT 5.0).

Except 5.2 WAS a major release - for Windows Server. Sure 64-bit XP didn't make a big splash on desktops/workstations back in the day but until Server 2003/R2 (NT 5.2) the last Server version of Windows was Windows 2000 Server (NT 5.0).

Yes yes, for the enterprise marked. So it is a bit weird that they didn't count it. But then again, the server version of Windows have since server 2003 had a separat name from the consumer version. Which then again gives them a reason to ignore a update that was only big for enterprise : D

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Isn't The Verge just awesome?

Is that sarcasm? Cause it really isn't.

It's the pole bearer for sites that strive to become popular by talking about software and hardware in terms tech illiterates understand.

Admittedly, they get a lot of discussion done, but they also dumb it down to a point where it does more harm than good.

How was 5.2 not a major release? It added x64 support.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

How was 5.2 not a major release? It added x64 support.

Yes yes, for the enterprise marked. So it is a bit weird that they didn't count it. But then again, the server version of Windows have since server 2003 had a separat name from the consumer version. Which then again gives them a reason to ignore a update that was only big for enterprise : D

^ 

^ 

The entire thing falls apart if we stop counting enterprise only versions of NT. Forget from 3.1 through 4 and ignore the 5.2 also which would mean that Windows 10 is the 7th version.

"You can now Ctrl+V in command prompt"

This.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

The entire thing falls apart if we stop counting enterprise only versions of NT. Forget from 3.1 through 4 and ignore the 5.2 also which would mean that Windows 10 is the 7th version.

Yeah, I saw that my self shortly after posting..

Ehm, the reasoning could be here that there were no real consumer version of NT until XP (2000 wasn't meant to be for consumers, but ME was crap so..), and therefore you could count them since they just weren't used for anything else yet :D

I don't know... Just trying to use Microsofts own arguments here (sort of)

Anyways, if you accept the naming of 7 and 8, then it shouldn't be hard to see that 10 fits, but at the same time 9 could also fit

Is that sarcasm? Cause it really isn't.

It's the pole bearer for sites that strive to become popular by talking about software and hardware in terms tech illiterates understand.

Admittedly, they get a lot of discussion done, but they also dumb it down to a point where it does more harm than good.

OogI8N2.jpg?1

It wasn't sarcasm, I was talking abut their live coverage of events. It's excellent.

Also, relax, The Verge is a casual tech/pop culture site. It's not supposed to be in-depth and overly technical.

- Now with added  WUB WUB -

yup , windows 10 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

New trend: skipping 1 part of a normally logical naming scheme.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

Damn, I guess Windows 8/8.1 was so bad that they had to skip a number just to get so far away from it!

or they wanted to avoid all those Windows Nein memes lol 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Jus me or does the co-ordination of presentation seam a bit odd? Just straight into showing off the desktop after talking aboput enterprise, why not talk about the features, whats new etc?

It's because a lot of idiots just want windows 7, so telling them the start menu is there will make them happy

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Yeah, I saw that my self shortly after posting..

Ehm, the reasoning could be here that there were no real consumer version of NT until XP (2000 wasn't meant to be for consumers, but ME was crap so..), and therefore you could count them since they just weren't used for anything else yet :D

I don't know... Just trying to use Microsofts own arguments here (sort of)

Anyways, if you accept the naming of 7 and 8, then it shouldn't be hard to see that 10 fits, but at the same time 9 could also fit

When it came to Win 98/SE Vs. ME Vs. 2000, 98SE basically thumped ME in terms of practically everything on a consumer level (even though it was "older"), and you didn't really need 2000 unless you were doing one hell of a home LAN (NT's networking capabilities have always been better than the 16/32-bit home versions of 3.1x to ME. heck, most of the improvements in 98SE over 98 in terms of networking and such came from NT 4).

When it came to XP Home Vs. XP Pro though, if you had more than 1 system in the house 95% of the time you were better off shelling out for XP Pro. Even now with 7, 8 & 8.1 if you want better networking and finer control over such things; the Pro version (or heaven forbid Ultimate version for 7, if you need multi-lingual support and capabilities) is still your best bet even for a "home" consumer and for prosumers.