Windows 9 has an official name: Windows 10?

Dietrichw

10/10, will upgrade.

heh, because windows 10? :P

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Nothing here looks that exciting except the fact that they want more feedback from customers as they add features. If they implemented this before, we wouldn't have the Windows 8 fiasco. 

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I.......

I don't even care. As long as the OS is great, I will be switching to Win10. I'm starting to feel like one of those XPers who were clutching onto their OS for dear life.

oh my god the most unexpected epic change ive been waiting since the dawn of windows 

"You can now paste in directories into command prompt with Ctrl+V.FiNALLY"

Implied-Facepalm.jpg

I'm going to call it windows 9  :P

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

This doesn't look too bad! I like that you can Ctrl+V in cmd now

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

I didn't think of it myself, but it kind of makes sense. The same sense that made Windows 7 be named 7

This is the 10th, if you are willing to look at Windows 8.1 as the 9th

Also the promise that the change is "so big" that it will make sense to skip 9

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

They said it would make sense once we use it but really it doesn't make any sense. At least they made a joke about calling it Windows One.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I've seen two theories on this naming choice:

1. Windows 8 was never supposed to be a full release. There was a lot of feeling at release that MS "rushed out" 8 and it wasn't a finished product. The finished product would have been Windows 9, but after the negativity that 8 attracted, they canned it and started again. Thus Windows 10 is born.

2. Windows 10 will be the last "numbered" release, and after this they will use Apple's incrimental update system (10.1, 10.2 etc.)

Both make sense, but I'm inclined to believe the first one more.

Windows 1.0,

Windows 2.X (forget the x)

Windows 3.1

Windows 95

Windows 98

Windows NT

Windows 2000

Windows Me

Windows XP

Windows Vista

Windows 7

Windows 8

Yea that has been so consistent that skipping the 9 is such a surprise isn't it  :rolleyes: 

(yea I might of miss one or two so don't get your panties in a bunch over it, its just to prove a point)

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I didn't think of it myself, but it kind of makes sense. The same sense that made Windows 7 be named 7

This is the 10th, if you are willing to look at Windows 8.1 as the 9th

Also the promise that the change is "so big" that it will make sense to skip 9

Actually this is at least the 15th Windows version. It depends on how you count it, it might be more.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Actually this is at least the 15th Windows version. It depends on how you count it, it might be more.

They only count the main NT versions

soo:

1 NT 3.1

2 NT 3.5

3 NT 4.0

4 Windows 2000 (NT 5.0)

5 Window XP (NT 5.1)

6 Windows Vista (NT 6.0)

7 Windows 7 (NT 6.1)

8 Windows 8 (NT 6.2)

9 Windows 8.1 (NT 6.3)

10 Windows 10 (NT 6.4)

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

hmm...are there 10 kinds/types of windows ...?

From memory....

Windows 1

Windows 2

Windows 2.1x

Windows 3

Windows 3.1x/Windows for Workgroups

Windows NT 3.1

Windows NT 3.5

Windows NT 3.51

Windows 95 (Dev-name of Windows 4, codename Chicago)

Windows NT 4

Windows 98/SE

Windows 2000 (NT 5.0)

Windows ME

Windows XP (NT 5.1 for 32-bit/5.2 for 64-bit)

Windows Vista (NT 6.0)

Windows 7 (NT 6.1)

Windows 8/8.1 (NT 6.2/6.3)

That's just been on desktop/workstation and laptop hardware, I've not included all the versions of MS-DOS (at least 8 major versions there, 8.0 being used by XP for making boot disks), Windows Server (though most of then are Windows NT internally anyway. Server 2008 being NT 6.0, Server 2008 R2 & Home Server 2011 being NT 6.1) or even Windows CE (Compact Edition) and all the other Embedded and Mobile versions of Windows.

They only count the main NT versions

soo:

1 NT 3.1

2 NT 3.5

3 NT 3.51

4 NT 4.0

5 Windows 2000 (NT 5.0)

6 Window XP (NT 5.1)

7 Windows Vista (NT 6.0)

8 Windows 7 (NT 6.1)

9 Windows 8 (NT 6.2)

10 Windows 8.1 (NT 6.3)

11 Windows 10 (NT 6.4)

There was also 3.51. Even if there wasn't the naming scheme still wouldn't make sense because Windows 7 would be the 8th NT version.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

..... I can do that on windows 7... its called manually resizing windows?

It's not manually resizing anything, it's a single button press, or track pad gesture that shows all open windows ( grouped by application), and desktops. It's been in OS X since 2003. Called Mission Control now, use to be Éxpose.

It along with multiple desktops is something I've wanted Windows to get for years. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

It's not manually resizing anything, it's a single button press, or track pad gesture that shows all open windows ( grouped by application), and desktops. It's been in OS X since 2003. Called Mission Control now, use to be Éxpose.

It along with multiple desktops is something I've wanted Windows to get for years. 

I can't see a use for that, but I'm not a "power user"......yet (taking IT classes)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

There was also 3.51. Even if there wasn't the naming scheme still wouldn't make sense because Windows 7 would be the 8th NT version.

I would imagine 3.51 just beeing a x.x1 update that they don't count it as a major one.

They had this reasoning for nameing Windows 7, 7. So if that reasoning fails if they count 3.51

I wanted it to be nine so we could all speak german...... should we get rid of the start button?  Nein!!!

sorry, had to correct that as a person who can speak German