Windows 9 has an official name: Windows 10?

Dietrichw

'cept MegaMan x isn't MegMan 10, despite x=10 in roman numerals. Final Fantasy x, is FF10 . . . . .

Well Mac OS X followed Mac OS 9

and also has a version numbering of 10.x (i.e. the current version is 10.9)

also it was meant as a joke ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I would rather Microsoft have a firm grasp on the app store.

Why?

Are you afraid to trust yourself with knowing what to install on your computer? As I said, it only benefits Microsoft and tech illiterates, who should be educated instead of telling them to rely on Microsoft.

As if the naming scheme was logical in the first place. 3.1 - 95 - 98 - 7 - 8 without even mentioning the non-numeric versions.

700px-Windows_Updated_Family_Tree.png

STAHP

lqvB9wu.gif

Well.... Okay then. Any news about the preview or if it'll be subscription only?

Nah they aren't commenting on that. This is MS. Take a look at what they tried to pull on the Xbox One and they are going to do the same thing here. Then when people critique the sub plan, withheld updates unless you opt in to MS spyware 10.0, you will be attacked my MS Astroturfers relentlessly, who tell you how awesome it is going to be and how they need access to a PC to do Q & A (most ridiculous thing I have ever heard).

Maybe if people bitch enough MS will be less aggressive on this crap that is all being sold in fluff/advertising pieces like this, but you will be attacked while you say it is a bad idea, because astroturfing and bullying on forums, web pages, and paying off blogs and "journalists" is what MS does .

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-9-much-ado-about-little-given-cloud-shift-7000032858/

http://www.zdnet.com/why-microsofts-engineering-changes-will-be-the-real-windows-threshold-story-7000034147/

Basically hold on to that Windows 7/8 key. This is a new OS with a new Terms of Service and it may include some FUBAR stuff that "journalists" are already trying to get you to accept. A "Free" upgrade from Win 8 just might include a sub fee. 

Win 10 may end up better, just like the Xbox One ended up better than what MS originally intended (after tons of complaints and independent "famous" people on youtube etc slamming them), but that is up to you.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

wooooow

Just adopt Ubuntu's naming scheme for fuck's sake. Better yet: HIRE ME TO NAME SHIT YOU MORONS

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Why?

Are you afraid to trust yourself with knowing what to install on your computer? As I said, it only benefits Microsoft and tech illiterates, who should be educated instead of telling them to rely on Microsoft.

I'm fine with installing my own programs. However some people just aren't. This stupid elitist mentality that some people have when it comes to the "do it yourself" attitude tends to get on my nerves.

Microsoft's job is ensuring that their customer base has the best experience they possibly can when it comes to using their software. Yes free and open source is great but it doesn't give Microsoft the control it needs to win back it's audience. A tighter controlled app ecosystem is what they are pushing for and I agree wholeheartedly with that. What apps get put on their store is their business. I will still install software from other sources, but most people don't want to bother with that.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

wooooow

Just adopt Ubuntu's naming scheme for fuck's sake. Better yet: HIRE ME TO NAME SHIT YOU MORONS

Utopic Unicorn could be the codename for Windows 9.

Utopic Unicorn could be the codename for Windows 9.

Meh.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It's probably to avoid NEIN and nazi jokes (no offense intended to germans, but the word NEIN on the internet, will undoubtedly lead to nazi jokes, as sad as that fact is)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Nah they aren't commenting on that. This is MS. Take a look at what they tried to pull on the Xbox One and they are going to do the same thing here. Then when people critique the sub plan, withheld updates unless you opt in to MS spyware 10.0, you will be attacked my MS Astroturfers relentlessly, who tell you how awesome it is going to be and how they need access to a PC to do Q & A (most ridiculous thing I have ever heard).

Maybe if people bitch enough MS will be less aggressive on this crap that is all being sold in fluff/advertising pieces like this, but you will be attacked while you say it is a bad idea, because astroturfing and bullying on forums, web pages, and paying off blogs and "journalists" is what MS does .

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-9-much-ado-about-little-given-cloud-shift-7000032858/

http://www.zdnet.com/why-microsofts-engineering-changes-will-be-the-real-windows-threshold-story-7000034147/

Basically hold on to that Windows 7/8 key. This is a new OS with a new Terms of Service and it may include some FUBAR stuff that "journalists" are already trying to get you to accept. A "Free" upgrade from Win 8 just might include a sub fee. 

Win 10 may end up better, just like the Xbox One ended up better than what MS originally intended (after tons of complaints and independent "famous" people on youtube etc slamming them), but that is up to you.

I still think that  your implication that they'll advertise it as 100% free and only state the subscription fee in the TOS is the most ridiculous thing ever, since there's no benefit whatsoever to that. All they would get from that is angry customers and false advertising lawsuits (in Europe at least). There are 2 possibilities:

1.) It's free for a certain number of years, which will be stated by MS in advertising ("1 free year of Windows 10!")

2.) It's free, but you need to take the offer soon after announcement.

Your "withheld updates" claim is also ridiculous. Jeez man. And "MS spyware 10.0", I assume you mean the live telemetry thing? Have they said anything to imply that will be in the final version?

Your other points, though still clearly extremely biased, are true. Based on what we're seeing, this will be subscription only OS, and I honestly don't think they'll even be able to change it at this stage.

The funny part about this is that this is partially Apple's fault due to their "Post-PC World" subliminal advertising/self-fulfilling prophecy BS.

I still think that  your implication that they'll advertise it as 100% free and only state the subscription fee in the TOS is the most ridiculous thing ever, since there's no benefit whatsoever to that. All they would get from that is angry customers and false advertising lawsuits (in Europe at least). There are 2 possibilities:

1.) It's free for a certain number of years, which will be stated by MS in advertising ("1 free year of Windows 10!")

2.) It's free, but you need to take the offer soon after announcement.

Your "withheld updates" claim is also ridiculous. Jeez man. And "MS spyware 10.0", I assume you mean the live telemetry thing? Have they said anything to imply that will be in the final version?

Your other points, though still clearly extremely biased, are true. Based on what we're seeing, this will be subscription only OS, and I honestly don't think they'll even be able to change it at this stage.

The funny part about this is that this is partially Apple's fault due to their "Post-PC World" subliminal advertising/self-fulfilling prophecy BS.

Might want to read the fluff pieces/advertising I posted from CNET.

"I'd think the regular monthly rollouts are here for the duration. I'd assume business customers will have a way to opt out if they aren't ready or willing to get updates on a monthly basis. Again, I don't know what that will mean in terms of how and how often they'll get updates if they don't want to be on the monthly train."

This is pure MS paid "journalism". The other article is just as freakin ridiculous.

"I know what you're thinking: Who would subscribe to Windows? We all would. We're paying Dropbox, Box, Amazon and Google subscriptions as well as Microsoft. I'd pay Microsoft an annual fee if they could give me something fun like Cortana every six months."

1) I don't pay for any of those things.

2) This journalist is not a journalist he is a paid off salesman

As far as the Xbox comparison I expect the same BS astroturfing techniques from MS. Neogaf was rampant with them. LTT and tech forums and any articles critiquing them, will be just as full of their illegal marketing. Now all of you argue over the dumb number, while you are continually sold advertising articles from whom you think are "journalists" convincing you all the BS they are trying to pull is a good thing. 

ATM this looks like 8 kernel with a start bar, which can be done with third party software like Start is Back on Win 8. Other than that, there are small changes to the UI which can also be done with third party and which I have seen in OLD Linux distros and in Mac OS as far back as Snow Leopard. 

How the hell is that worth a sub fee, or worth giving up a key that doesn't require a sub fee? What is MS going to do? With hold DX 11.3 and DX 12 on Win 8 to force you to pay the sub fee? People pointing out all the shady crap with the Xbox One got things changed. They were attacked for it (illegally by MS), but eventually the customer got their way. If you want to bend over and take it up the arse from MS? Go for it.

Someone calling me biased on a forum, when that person is always in a thread defending MS means two things to me. Jack and !#%^ and Jack just left town. I have dealt with MS's bullying, illegal tactics before, and they didn't work then and won't work now. 

MS purposely put out a HORRIBLE GUI that beta testers TOLD THEM was bad, repeatedly and it was damn near universal opinion for Win 8 PRE RELEASE. Now the "fix" is a new OS with a sub plan and people are acting as if this is somehow a good thing. Also giving MS access to more of a PC and your data is a good thing, when this is the same company that completely ignored feedback for 8 and this is the same company that planned to sell your data to target you for political ads? This is a swindle. MS could include this in 8 tomorrow. People have already created third party Start Bars for 8. This is about getting people on a sub plan and to get them to accept any other BS MS wants.

Now someone please post "MS listened to us" one more time. They didn't listen to anybody.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/03/07/microsoft-is-using-your-data-to-target-political-ads-on-xbox-live/

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I think I know why they skipped the number 9...

Don't look at me like that. Someone would make it sooner or later.

honestly that a really shitty joke, it would be funny if ms had some sort of consistency between all releases

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Might want to read the fluff pieces/advertising I posted from CNET.

"I'd think the regular monthly rollouts are here for the duration. I'd assume business customers will have a way to opt out if they aren't ready or willing to get updates on a monthly basis. Again, I don't know what that will mean in terms of how and how often they'll get updates if they don't want to be on the monthly train."

This is pure MS paid "journalism". The other article is just as freakin ridiculous.

"I know what you're thinking: Who would subscribe to Windows? We all would. We're paying Dropbox, Box, Amazon and Google subscriptions as well as Microsoft. I'd pay Microsoft an annual fee if they could give me something fun like Cortana every six months."

1) I don't pay for any of those things.

2) This journalist is not a journalist he is a paid off salesman

As far as the Xbox comparison I expect the same BS astroturfing techniques from MS. Neogaf was rampant with them. LTT and tech forums and any articles critiquing them, will be just as full of their illegal marketing. Now all of you argue over the dumb number, while you are continually sold advertising articles from whom you think are "journalists" convincing you all the BS they are trying to pull is a good thing. 

ATM this looks like 8 kernel with a start bar, which can be done with third party software like Start is Back on Win 8. Other than that, there are small changes to the UI which can also be done with third party and which I have seen in OLD Linux distros and in Mac OS as far back as Snow Leopard. 

How the hell is that worth a sub fee, or worth giving up a key that doesn't require a sub fee? What is MS going to do? With hold DX 11.3 and DX 12 on Win 8 to force you to pay the sub fee? People pointing out all the shady crap with the Xbox One got things changed. They were attacked for it (illegally by MS), but eventually the customer got their way. If you want to bend over and take it up the arse from MS? Go for it.

Someone calling me biased on a forum, when that person is always in a thread defending MS means two things to me. Jack and !#%^ and Jack just left town. I have dealt with MS's bullying, illegal tactics before, and they didn't work then and won't work now. 

Oh, I see. Duly noted. We'll see what they do and if the telemetry thing really is for NSA (which I still doubt because I'm sure that Windows already has NSA hacks built in).

I haven't been "defending" MS. Defending them would be acting like those journalists and and talking about why all of this is a good thing. Bias would mean that I won't budge on my opinions no matter what anyone else says. I've done neither. Hell, I'm the first one to correct people who think MS fights for privacy based on them resisting the US government's request for information. I'll openly admit that I'm biased against Apple, but if Windows 10 is subscription only, you can bet your ass I'll speak with my wallet. (Really, any optimism is more geared toward me hoping that these deal breakers don't happen because then I'd be forced to switch to OS X, and I really don't want to do that, so I hope for the best.) I'm calling you biased because... Well, honestly, I might just still be bitter over you putting words in my mouth (which, by the way, you're still doing), which is something that really pisses me off and causes me to think lowly of you. I also find it funny and cute that you think MS is the only one who pays journalists off.It would be easier to list the companies that don't do it. (Hint: Apple would not make that list.)

Anyway, I'm going to sit back and see how this all plays out. That's all I can do. I'll probably avoid the preview, if only because I don't want to get excited about something that's likely to end up with the ultimate dealbreaker.

wut. This is like nVidia skipping the 800 series.

Well it is obviously because 9 and 800 are way too mainstream...

"Our new Windows must be built from the group up for a mobile-first cloud-first world."

Terry Myerson

Already off to a bad start.

Yeah this scares me. I don't want a "mobile-first" OS on my desktop, and I certainly don't want some shitty cloud services deeply embedded into it.

I really hope they deeply embed anything which requires always online in their assholes before releasing Windows 10.

Has anyone else noticed the lack of right side buttons, control panel, network, run...? If all we're getting are links to our programs then what's the additional functionality over Win8 start or even just pinning your programs to the task bar.

I'm just glad I will be able to launch a program without having my entire screen get blocked by the huge, ugly start screen.

would have been the strongest OS-tan. :(

and really stupid. Maybe it was best to skip 9 after all.

So does anyone have a list of all the new features announced so far?

The new "OneGet" feature in PowerShell 5.0 sounds great. Finally a good repo on Windows.

Perhaps it's because of 10 devices that are Windows based?

1. Microsoft Windows based Tables
  2. Windows based Smartphones
  3. Fablets
  4. Tablets
  5. Convertibles
  6. Surface
  7. Laptops
  8. Desktops
  9. All in Ones
  10. Consoles

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I'm just glad I will be able to launch a program without having my entire screen get blocked by the huge, ugly start screen.

You already can do that in Windows 8.1 its called Win + S, or Taskbar shorcuts, or desktop shortcuts, or Win + R if you're feeling old school.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Well, itll work well with the R9 490X right :P

Why not "Windows 3000" that sounds ""futuristic and super cool""

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

"Our new Windows must be built from the group up for a mobile-first cloud-first world."
Terry Myerson
Already off to a bad start.

Few other OS's seem more and more likely . . .

I like what i'm seeing so far, might actually upgrade from 7. But that name... wtf

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

for the people saying wow can Ctrl+v now in CMD you can already just right click past -,-

Needs Update