Windows 9 Preview will feature near live telemetry data tracking

GoodBytes

Tomorrow is the big day. Windows 9 technical preview will be shown and its download will be available after or a day or 2 after the event (based on previous preview releases). For those who don't know, Technical Preview releases, means that the core and most APIs are done for Windows, but it is still in testing stages. And Microsoft is implementing user interface features, which will appear and be polished as Windows updates comes in.

Windows 9 will feature Asimov. Microsoft new technology in tracking telemetry data of Windows 9 Preview users to know what the user is doing with the system (what feature is being used, how, where the mouse clicks and so on). Previously Microsoft used telemetry data that was collected after a few days and sent to be processed. This lead in slowing down the development of feature as telemetry data had to be collected. Now, with being near live, Microsoft can see the reaction of users for the first time in discovering each Windows 9 features, and later, and can improve the feature and its discoverability.

Microsoft will be using a new system, codenamed 'Asimov', that will provide a near real-time view of what is happening on users' machines. Before you freak out and think Microsoft is watching all of your mouse clicks, our knowledge of the system indicates that the data is obscured and aggregated, but affords Microsoft new insights into user interactions with the OS. Mary Jo Foley, who uncovered the codename, says that the system was originally built by the Xbox Team.

The idea is quite simple: gather as much data as possible to make sure that the user experience is exactly like Microsoft has envisioned. With more telemetry data, it will help the team behind the OS make sure that updates, features, and every other aspect are all working correctly and if not, they will have high-quality data to troubleshoot the issue.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-9-telemetry-data-will-be-near-real-time

If you don't know. It's been since a very long time, that Microsoft collect telemetry data from user from the full version of Windows, but the data collected is not as extensive and frequently sent to Microsoft servers. And can be opt out. (nice site that covers how to opt in and out numerous Microsoft software: http://www.verboon.info/2011/04/the-microsoft-customer-experience-improvement-programpart-1/)

Telemetry data is collected to shape future Windows features, and decide which feature to drop, or change.

Deep tracking from telemetry data and often update is normally done on preview builds of Windows. Once Windows is out, the telemetry data collected is more abstract, and less updated (like once a month). Once again, this is nothing new. I think they started back with XP

Don't think I like the whole telemetry thing.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

@GoodBytes you seem to know quite a lot about Windows software. I'm tempted to try Win9 when they release the test build, how unstable are those in your experience and is converting back to the previous Win easy or undoable?

On topic, I hope they won't have to give all that data to the NSA..... And atleast make this an opt-out

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Will the telemetry system only be in the preview release or will it come with every Windows 9?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

@GoodBytes you seem to know quite a lot about Windows software. I'm tempted to try Win9 when they release the test build, how unstable are those in your experience and is converting back to the previous Win easy or undoable?

On topic, I hope they won't have to give all that data to the NSA..... And atleast make this an opt-out

You could try running it in a VM....

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

You could try running it in a VM....

That is a very good idea..... I just enabled Hyper-V for my Linux testing, why didn't I think of this....

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

Hopefully the telemetry data doesn't also go to the NSA...

This might be a deal-breaker for Windows 9 for me...

Don't think I like the whole telemetry thing.

Telemetry data is what allows them to make it better. It shows them what people use the most, what GUI elements are or are not used. Then they can adjust it to make it better.

Telemetry data played a massive part in making File Explorer (Windows Explorer) and Task Manager so much better in Windows 8.x. (Images shown in the spoiler)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/08/29/improvements-in-windows-explorer.aspx

3113.Figure-5-_2D00_-Command-use_5F00_th

0576.Figure-6-_2D00_-Command-entrypoint_

5775.Figure-10-_2D00_-Home-tab-usage-hea

2742.Figure_2D00_19_2D002D002D00_Screen_

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

just block what port or ip windows is connecting to from the router

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

inb4 conspiracy theories about NSA spying and whatnot and that no one will use 9 even though it has the option to be turn off...

or to be even more "safe" block their IP

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

just block what port or ip windows is connecting to

Ever used wireshark? Windows seems to connect to a million different ip's. Blocking all of them would take ages (although I don't know about ports)

It is a bit of a problem that the ones who are the power users often also don't like this kind of stuff and turn it off, thereby stopping MS from seeing what these powerusers might need

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

just block what port or ip windows is connecting to from the router

Or just opt out of it via the "Customer Experience Improvement Program" checkbox when you install it.

I'm not sure if it's optional during the Preview but in full release it's always optional.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Or just opt out of it via the "Customer Experience Improvement Program" checkbox when you install it.

I'm not sure if it's optional during the Preview but in full release it's always optional.

good to know

personally i trust microsoft more than many other companies but since they are in the US.....

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I think I will get it and use it for general usage as I am interested in this windows

I have 8.1 Pro, ad I do find it good to use, it support multi monitor setups surprisingly well!

I dont see an issue with this tbh. You are testing a product for Microsoft... IMO if they can do anything to get feedback quicker and stop Windows 9 becoming a Windows 8 then i am all for it! So long as that doesn't make it into the finished product but finding it if it was would not be hard at all as it would be sending data out 24/7.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

People would have gone nuts if Asimov wouldnt be for beta testing only,or is it?if something like this hits the actual release too the drama all over the internet would be too huge,especially with all the privacy concerns over internet lately.

Anyway will W9 Technical preview be like an open beta for the mases? or just certain people affiliated with MS will get it?i would like to install it too in a VM but idk if any vm clients will support it soon.

Edited by deviant88

I dont see an issue with this tbh. You are testing a product for Microsoft... IMO if they can do anything to get feedback quicker and stop Windows 9 becoming a Windows 8 then i am all for it! So long as that doesn't make it into the finished product but finding it if it was would not be hard at all as it would be sending data out 24/7.

People would have gone nuts if Asimov wouldnt be for beta testing only,or is it?if something like this hits the actual release too the drama all over the internet would be too huge,especially with all the privacy concerns over internet lately.

In the finished product it is known as "Customer Experience Improvement Program" and it is a checkbox during the install. It is opt-in.

A lot of power users tend to opt-out of these things but you should keep in mind it is power users who should be opting into it. If you opt-in you make your voices heard to Microsoft about how you use the OS and they will see that and make changes that benefit you. But when power users opt-out, Microsoft never sees how power users are using the software, so they end up making changes that they don't like. :(

I personally don't see the problem with opting in. The data is anonymous, non-identifiable, and such data would be completely useless to a spy agency.

In the finished product it is known as "Customer Experience Improvement Program" and it is a checkbox during the install. It is opt-in.

A lot of power users tend to opt-out of these things but you should keep in mind it is power users who should be opting into it. If you opt-in you make your voices heard to Microsoft about how you use the OS and they will see that and make changes that benefit you. But when power users opt-out, Microsoft never sees how power users are using the software, so they end up making changes that they don't like. :(

I personally don't see the problem with opting in. The data is anonymous, non-identifiable, and such data would be completely useless to a spy agency.

Those are some nice valid arguments,altough im always sceptic about any program who wants to collect my data and send it over internet,being win/antivirus or other.I just dont know how they collect data/what data and if its gonna affect performance too i just opt out everywhere,even error reporting stuff too cause it doesnt help me at all in any software only in theory they can fix it i guess.

Asimov makes sense in all previews and beta's but final product just no.

Just for you guys to note. If you opt out.. don't complain about Windows 9 not being good. Because your telemetry data won't be collected and will draw conclusion wrongly. The point of the preview is for you volunteer your time, in exchange to have first look and provide your feedback to Microsoft in shaping the next Windows. I said volunteer, so don't expect any specials or anything for doing this.

Remember, with Windows 8, Aero was still there. But due to people not providing feedback at the right place, Windows 8 shaped the way it was.

So it is IMPORTANT to opt IN telemetry data for the preview, and use the feedback button on Windows 9 preview.

A big mistake that Microsoft did with Windows 8, is that the feedback was an extra install to do. Windows 9 is now front and center (like Windows 7, yes it was a mistake from Microsoft part). So, you can't miss it.

The data collected is meaningless to teh NSA. What do they care that you click on Firefox/Chrome 50 times from the the new Start Menu, and that you never used Movie Maker.

To answer your question:

Preview builds are usually pass a few stages of testing, but not all that Microsoft does. Usually, previews are fine, but there was stories with previous versions of Windows were things goes horrible for some people. It's definitively rare, but it could happen. Backups must be critical for you. Data can be loss or corrupted, on these rare cases. So that is why you have backups.

You must remember that performance will drop for a 2 main reasons:

-> No official optimized Windows 9 drivers are out. And usually version 1 of them is no great, version 2 is needed

-> Debug code/builds and frequent telemetry data collecting slows the system down.

So, like all those first that benchmarks, they are meaningless. And if you expect a performance increase in games, don't. It won't be.

If you notice, if you pull all old articles about Windows 7 or 8 beta or even first day release benchmarks, they don't reflect what the performance you get. They'll say that the performance is identical or slower than the previous version, despite having contrary claims by many users saying that things goes faster, and matches Microsoft work they have done (optimization).

Do frequent backups on an external drive of your stuff. Expect to re-install Windows 9 as well. Updates, especially the early ones might not go smooth.

Personally, I do frequent backups, so I'll be installing Win9 as main OS on my desktop. As I have an SSD and a fast USB flash drive on USB3. I know that re-installing Windows should take only a few minutes, and as the OS is freshly new, you wont' have any or just a few Windows Updates. Install Firefox, plug-ins and Office and done. I have the core essential for school. Plus, I have my laptop, if all goes bad.

Those are some nice valid arguments,altough im always sceptic about any program who wants to collect my data and send it over internet,being win/antivirus or other.I just dont know how they collect data/what data and if its gonna affect performance too i just opt out everywhere,even error reporting stuff too cause it doesnt help me at all in any software only in theory they can fix it i guess.

Asimov makes sense in all previews and beta's but final product just no.

His points are valid. Don't be paranoid. Like I said, even if the NSA was interested, what do they care that 30% of Windows 9 users put the task bar on the right side of the screen (not actual fact). It doesn't. It doesn't collect what you open on your system, or send any files to Microsoft or anyone.

Again it is for the preview. If it bugs you, don't get the preview. And like every version of Windows you have been doing so far, since XP (I believe), opt out of it when it gets officially released. (Also telemetry data is far more general at the release version. Like for example, Microsoft gets how many users have multiple displays, and which resolutions. Kinda like Steam statistic, and which features are just not used, and consider for being cut form the next release. Like DVD playback from Windows 8. Nearly no one used it. They either used paid alternatives or don't even have a disk drive in their system or have on but rarely put any disk inside of any kind.