GTX 970 not as great as I thought :-(

I/O

My Gigabyte 970 absolutely destroys my 290 in everything. The only thing they come close in is Valley. All games i have played and other benchmarks it isnt even close.

I would like to think that the data LTT represents and presented in the video I posted in this thread is accurate enough.

Why are you linking to a 980 video we are discussing the 970 and 290 in this thread.

Because im showing you how a binned gigabyte card performs better than everything else.

You can also see the 970 in the benchmarks in the video. It's better than a 290.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Plenty of info out there showing the 970 performs better.

Well the video posted in OP confirms performance parity OCed 290 and OC 970 and OCed 290x.

I would like to think that the data LTT represents and presented in the video I posted in this thread is accurate enough.

Why because it is a performance review completed by a unboxer?
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Because im showing you how a binned gigabyte card performs better than everything else.

You showed how a 980 is the fastest card available LOL.

Why because it is a performance review completed by a unboxer?

Hes a tech guy with years of hardware and GPU experience.

Um if you OC your cards then it would stand to reason to find out how well they OC. Hence why they OC the cards.

*to find out how their one sample card OC's...* thats a pretty small sample. If their 780Ti overclocks amazingly and their 970 just happens to overclcok badly that completely distorts the results and vice versa. (just used 780Ti as an example - its the same for all comparisons)

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

You showed how a 980 is the fastest card available LOL.

do you have eyes?

Do you know how to compare one card to another?

you can see their normal overclocked 980, then the G1 980, and you compare the difference between them. It's called subtracting to get the difference.

Also maybe you didn't notice that the 970 was there too. And it performed just like the 290 in all the benchmarks, usually on top.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hes a tech guy with years of hardware and GPU experience.

He isnt doing the comparison. They also provide no information about the OC review. Like i said, there are plenty of other reputable performance reviews available. I could care less what you do.

*to find out how their one sample card OC's...* thats a pretty small sample. If their 780Ti overclocks amazingly and their 970 just happens to overclcok badly that completely distorts the results and vice versa.

They are all going to be in the same ball park. Counting on winning the silicon lottery every time you buy a GPU is a silly metric to go by as for example I have owned around 20 GPUs and very very few of them were silicon lottery winners.

I feel like I'm on Twitter with the level of stubborn.

We have video showing FPS between the GTX 980, GTX 970, 290 and 290X. The GTX 970 stock was constantly besting the 290 stock, even if some games the frames were minimal. The GTX 970 itself also using less power and generating less heat on top of doing this. In another video we have an OC GTX 970 having no trouble delivering GTX 980 stock speeds for 200 dollars less. Seriously, how can someone be this damn stubborn? You won't listen to reason, just get the 290 and your games instead of making members mentally rage on the inside. 

The heat issue people keep bringing up is completely irrelevant as long as you aren't using a reference cooler on a 290. The powercolor PCS+ 290 costs the same as the 970(and less than the gigabyte windforce) and is factory OC'd, and runs cooler than the 970. So heat is a total non issue. Power draw is also a non issue, as both cards have the same minimum PSU requirements I believe, so whatever power draw difference you see would be negligible in terms of electric bill. Im impressed with the 970, but I understand the hype about TDP is largely a successful sales gimmick Nvidia uses that has little practical relevance.

In terms of performance I don't know, it seems the 970 is the slightly better performer at most games, unless you are talking about 4k, then the extra memory bandwidth of the 290 might give it a performance edge.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

you can see their normal overclocked 980, then the G1 980, and you compare the difference between them. It's called subtracting to get the difference.

Also maybe you didn't notice that the 970 was there too. And it performed just like the 290 in all the benchmarks, usually on top.

The Gigabyte 980 was ahead of referance buy at most 2 to 3fps or the same big deal that nothing. That's the point of this thread the OC 970 performs near enough the same as OC 290 thanx for confirming this fact.

I feel like I'm on Twitter with the level of stubborn.

We have video showing FPS between the GTX 980, GTX 970, 290 and 290X. The GTX 970 stock was constantly besting the 290 stock, even if some games the frames were minimal. The GTX 970 itself also using less power and generating less heat on top of doing this. In another video we have an OC GTX 970 having no trouble delivering GTX 980 stock speeds for 200 dollars less. Seriously, how can someone be this damn stubborn? You won't listen to reason, just get the 290 and your games instead of making members mentally rage on the inside. 

I just feel like I was duped by the hype of the 970 when at the end of the day it really was not all that faster than an OC 290. That's all.

If you refuse to believe that the 970 is better than the 290 in more ways than one then get a 290 and be done with it. Arguing with people that power consumption does not matter when you're looking at the best price to performance ratio is really stupid if you're the one paying the electric bill. At the end of the day it's your money and if you want to spend it on an inferior product then go ahead.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

If you refuse to believe that the 970 is better than the 290 in more ways than one then get a 290 and be done with it. Arguing with people that power consumption does not matter when you're looking at the best price to performance ratio is really stupid if you're the one paying the electric bill. At the end of the day it's your money and if you want to spend it on an inferior product then go ahead.

I am not arguing power consumption and I really don't give a hoot about it. I am just making an observation that perhaps the 970 is close to the same performance of a 290 OC for OC as indicated by Linus himself and Slick in the aforementioned video in the OP.

I am not arguing power consumption and I really don't give a hoot about it. I am just making an observation that perhaps the 970 is close to the same performance of a 290 OC for OC as indicated by Linus himself and Slick in the aforementioned video in the OP.

The reviews (except Linus) are not showing that. It hasnt been my experience either and i came from a very good OC 290. It is obviously your decision. GL and enjoy your new card regardless of what you get. :D

You also need to keep in mind that more driver optimizations will come as time goes on, these are still very new cards where the 290 is unlikely to see any optimizations. Heat and Power consumption add to the cost as well even if you don't want to look at them they still effect the overall cost of ownership. I'm sure if LinusTech or Slick were forced to pick one they'd lean more towards the 970 due to less heat and power consumption while still performing remarkably well. Even if performance is tied, the 970 will win overall. Simply put, the 970 is a superior card.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

I love how people keep saying it has better power consumption yes it does at stock speed but when it overclocked many people reported almost 3x increase in watts pulled from the wall so dont talk about power consumption and overclocking because it can only be one way or the other

I don't know why people think the new cards are Guna b SUPER AWESOME AMAZINGLY better when each year it's the same thing they increase performance by 10 to 20 percent mayb 30 and decrease power people always say "oh the new cards are Guna blow this thing out the water" jus buy older versions and u get it cheaper and same performance done

System Specs~~~~~

Case-Corsair Air 540                                   CPU-i7 4770k                           Ram-Corsair Vengeance 16 Gbs    PSU-Corsair RM1000

Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula    Graphics-Asus Gtx 780 Ti x2     CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i               SSDs-Corsair Force GS 128/360 Gb       

History tells all.

New card = little bit better than the competitors flagship, similar or lower power used.

Rinse and Repeat every 12-18months.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You also need to keep in mind that more driver optimizations will come as time goes on, these are still very new cards where the 290 is unlikely to see any optimizations. Heat and Power consumption add to the cost as well even if you don't want to look at them they still effect the overall cost of ownership. I'm sure if LinusTech or Slick were forced to pick one they'd lean more towards the 970 due to less heat and power consumption while still performing remarkably well. Even if performance is tied, the 970 will win overall. Simply put, the 970 is a superior card.

nah actually linus wouldn't care he wanted to use his old GTX 590 which uses way more power than the titan 970,780 but since he wanted game streaming to his shield he opted to use titan cuz it was only duplicate he had he doesn't care about power

System Specs~~~~~

Case-Corsair Air 540                                   CPU-i7 4770k                           Ram-Corsair Vengeance 16 Gbs    PSU-Corsair RM1000

Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula    Graphics-Asus Gtx 780 Ti x2     CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i               SSDs-Corsair Force GS 128/360 Gb       

The reviews (except Linus) are not showing that. It hasnt been my experience either and i came from a very good OC 290. It is obviously your decision. GL and enjoy your new card regardless of what you get. :D

Just saying that Linus himself stated that most other reviews do not have the video card OCed like they do all there video cards on LTT.

Just saying that Linus himself stated that most other reviews do not have the video card OCed like they do all there video cards on LTT.

He also had a very poor OC on the strix. 1439mhz i believe. That is below average for these cards. I am up to 1591/8000 so far with room to go. If he had used the card i have the results would be significantly different. Comparing OC'd cards can give a different result per card.

He also had a very poor OC on the strix. 1439mhz i believe. That is below average for these cards. I am up to 1591/8000 so far with room to go. If he had used the card i have the results would be significantly different. Comparing OC'd cards can give a different result per card.

Even still 1450 to 1600Mhz is like what maybe 2fps difference.