A MASSive development for every thing that matters

The Kilogram just recently celebrated its 125th birthday on Sept. 22. While this doesn't in itself seem like big news, consider this: the kilogram is currently the only unit in the Système Internationale d'Unités which is still based off of a physical object rather than a concept. While many of you may know that it was first initially theorized as the mass of a liter of water at 4 degrees Celsius (the temperature at which it is most dense) it has been represented by a cylinder of platinum/iridium alloy since September of 1899, and it is this cylinder which we base all our measurements of mass off of, as well as there being several other measurements dependent on the kilogram for their definition as well. The problem with this definition of the kilogram is that it has been discovered that the mass of this cylinder has been changing over the years (most likely due to reactions with chemicals in the atmosphere). While in most cases a small change of a few micro-grams won't drastically change how our world works, it does not do to have a variable definition of a standard unit of measure.

As seen in this article, http://eandt.theiet.org/news/2014/sep/kilogram-birthday.cfm, there are currently scientists who are currently working on devising a new definition of the kilogram. This new definition would redefine the kilogram in terms of Max Plank's constant, and simultaneously fixing inconsistencies in both the kilogram and Plank's constant, while also being able to add units such as ohms and volts to the SI units system, rather than just to have them as part of a conventional unit system. Currently on track for 2018, this theoretical redefinition of the kilogram would also make it such that any person can have access to what a true kilogram would be, rather than needing to compare with a cylinder whose mass may or may not be the same as it was last year. 

I personally thought this was pretty neat, considering all other units of measure have already been well defined and established before my birth, I think it'll be a neat story to tell my future grand kids. I can just imagine being a crotchety old man shouting nonsense about how I remember the world before we had a true kilogram and what a scarry and terrifying world it was.... Though, it does make me sad that nobody will be able to pull off the greatest heist in the history of mankind once this redefinition is solidified. Seriously, what could be more badass that stealing the definition of mass itself?  Someone get on this, write a book or something

Though, it does make me sad that nobody will be able to pull off the greatest heist in the history of mankind once this redefinition is solidified.

I stole it.

kilogramx.jpg

Please ignore my outdated novels in the background.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I stole it.

kilogramx.jpg

Please ignore my outdated novels in the background.

Mmmmmm,  cake.

Those novels aren't outdated, they're timeless. B)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So we are finally shifting to that silicon ball?

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

Now if only the US would convert to the metric system (minus temperature measurement IMO)...

Mayonnaise is an instrument!  

Current Build - Ryzen 7 3800x (eco mode enabled), MSI B550M MAG Mortar, G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2x16) 3200 14-14-14-34, EVGA 2060 KO Ultra, EVGA G2 550W, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx

I still don't understand what was wrong with 1kg being a 10cm by 10cm cube of dihydrogen monoxide at 4℃.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Don't forget there's also the kilogram sphere of Silicon-28 (if that sphere were the Earth, the highest mountain and deepest valley would be only 14 metres apart, it's that perfectly round), where they can count and write down the number of Si-28 atoms and use that as a check and balance for the redefinition of Planck's Constant for defining the kilogram.

I still don't understand what was wrong with 1kg being a 10cm by 10cm cube of dihydrogen monoxide at 4℃.

Geek cred right here folks! xD

Now if only the US would convert to the metric system (minus temperature measurement IMO)...

I can only imagine what might be considered the official measure of weight for an outdated system:   A slightly L shaped scone cooked by the kings hand maid at 2am in an open fire. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

As a US citizen, I doubt that would happen, but I can tell you that the pound we use for measuring weight (not the GBP) is actually based off of a definition of what the kilogram is, so we still benefit from this upgrade

So we are finally shifting to that silicon ball?

Essentially yes. Also here's the video for anyone else reading this who wants to know what the hell we're talking about and doesn't already: 

I can only imagine what might be considered the official measure of weight for an outdated system:   A slightly L shaped scone cooked by the kings hand maid at 2am in an open fire. 

Motions to bring back slugs and cubits

Them puns though. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Actually heard about this quite a while ago, earlier this year, I think. But I can understand why it wasn't exactly front page news. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Technically, it already has. The redefinition of US units based of the SI units happened in the mid 1900s: https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PUBS_LIB/FedRegister/FRdoc59-5442.pdf

So, the US is technically using SI as a foundation.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

HAH, because 0 degrees is illogical as the point of freezing to you?

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Because water boiling at exactly 100 degrees and freezing at exactly 0 degrees is harder to imagine than the random numbers of 212 and 32?

@Kingofpants

Suffrage is sufferage, dude.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

ohh come ON !!!!

i just started loosing weight

i dont need this

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.