Would you stop pirating if content did not cost too much?

Ethnod

i wouldn't if the on demand sites weren't so arse about faced, if i signed up to sites in order to watch the vast array of different stuff i enjoy i'd probably be paying about £160 a month.

As far as movies are concerned i don't see why i should have to go to the cinema and spend a frigging fortune to listen to people eat pop corn, get uncomfortable coz i need to pee but can't pause, so i can watch a movie that could EASILY be put on a pay per view website where i would happily pay the same money to view!

I don't mind pirating content that deserves it (EA content) since if EA treats their customers like bags of money I will treat them like a greedy company that doesn't deserve my money. but a company like CD Projekt RED, which actually cares more about the consumer than money, and makes DRM free games. pirating their games would just be cruel and evil. I also don't pirate indie games unless I REALLY want to try it and I will only do so if they are popular enough. I also try buying games that I liked. I bought the entire Mount and Blade collection on steam today and I recently picked the witcher 2 up from GOG.com yes I pirated the witcher 2 before I bought it but thanks to piracy I found out about it and thanks to piracy I became a fan of that series. that is why I acutally think piracy has its place. sure its not the greatest thing that is out there for marketing a game but it sort of markets games and if the game is worth it and its not eaed, or DRMed too much to be unplayable for legit users. I had EA games stop working after I installed it too many times. Really EA? you break a game if it was installed to many times, OSs get reinstalled and some people still want to play older titles on a new system. but then EA doesn't expect replay value in their games...which is another reason why I would actually buy a game as oppose to just pirate it:)

I don't do any illegal downloading. Developers gotta eat

I stopped when I actually became a working useful member of society and not a leech off of someone else's dime.  aka grew up.

If for whatever reason I can't get it without pirating it, I don't need it that bad.  

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

A wise man once said, "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem." He also created Steam, the one service that made DRM hot and sexy.

iTunes, also saved the music industry (destroyed the entire concept of an album, but that's just collateral), by making the iTunes store more convenient than pirating nasty 128kbps mp3s from limewire.
On the note of the music industry, Vevo saved music videos, allowing video hits to be counted so product placement of

can actually have a tangible value.

In Australia, we don't get any cool legal services like Netflix and Hulu, and if you use a proxy, like Media Hint, we get a terrible connection, because, other side of the world. Foxtel is the only real paid tv service in the country, and it's absolute balls (It's namesake is Fox, everyone's favorite media conglomerate, and Telstra, the Telco that believes a country can run on copper wires for another century. We do not have any good services here, and that is why Australian's are also the biggest pirates.
I have a Blu Ray collection, but it's not hip to use optical media in 2013; I want my media collection on my media server where I can search though it using convenient tags(like releaseyear, director, actor), and at the moment, private torrent trackers provide a better service to me than anyone else.
Microsoft is trying to take the position of DRM master of tv and movies, you can see it as a feature in Windows 8 and Xbox one, but everyone hates them.
And my money is going to be on Google Play as it uses the already successful youtube infrastructure.

I do not pirate games, I try to buy music where practical (if anyone can find a legal copy of "crying over pros for no reason" at CD quality or higher, I will tip my non-existant hat to you, and my coin to edIT), & there will soon be a day where I can say the same thing about my video-media library

Check out my Trading Card Inventory, I probably have that one card you need

Gaming PC  Corsair C70 Arctic White ▪ MSI Z77 MPower ▪ i7-3770k, Core 4.0 GHz ▪ Patriot IEM 4 x 4GB @ 2133MHz ▪ 2 x Palit GTX 670 Jetstreams in SLI, Core 1250 MHz, Mem 3150 MHz ▪ OS on 128GB Samsung 840 Pro ▪ Silverstone ST85F-P w/ Fancy Silverstone Cables

Server ▫ Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey ▪ Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ▪ i5-2500 ▪ Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4GB @ 1600MHz ▪ Asus GTX 550ti ▪ OS on 120GB Samsung 840 ▪ 5.2TB Storage Space ▪ Antex HCG 900

I don't do any illegal downloading. Developers gotta eat

Pretty much this. As an adult, taking software and not paying for it is wrong no matter how many try to justify it. That's just my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree. Thing is, if it wasn't for the regular Joe's buying and supporting the devs, there would be nothing for anyone to pirate .If everyone pirated, what would be the incentive for a dev to continue creating the games we like to play?

I don't understand how some are OK with pirating only single player games because they apparently have no use after beating them. Um, some people play games for the experience. And just because nothing is physically taken, does not mean its not stealing. You are obtaining software code and downloading said code directly to your HD, without compensating the devs for their hard work. And to say that, well I wouldn't have bought it anyway, is a pretty ridiculous statement. If people were not going to buy it, then why bother with it at all? And if its too expensive, well hey, that's life. There are many things that I cannot afford, or will not pay for, but at my age my thinking is not, I have no money so I'm going to DL it because I'm entitled to it. 

Again, this is just my take on it. 

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro

i only do it for microsoft office, i buy my games 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I like how people are commenting here that they will pirate one thing but not another. If your going to be a criminal you might aswell go all out.

I like how people are commenting here that they will pirate one thing but not another. If your going to be a criminal you might aswell go all out.

It's like saying if you are going to speed why not be a serial killer? If you are going to break the law, break it all the way...

I don't consider downloading the episode of XYZ tv show that was on last night on channel 2 piracy. Some people do.

I can understand if someone has to resort to downloading illegally because they are unable to purchase that game anymore (such as old games for emulators).

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I torrent, all the time, mainly because a lot of series don't air at the same time here, and we don't have netflix, so by the time the series decides to air, it's already another season somewhere else. 

And another thing is sometimes movies come out much sooner than others, like the upcoming Monsters University, it is already out in the US, where it won't be out here till the 8th of August, which is bullcrap. 

I also use it for software wise, because I can't afford to pay 600++ for 3D Maya and Photoshop. I've used it for games, but if the game is truly good then I do end up buying it. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Things like sony vegas, etc that costs hundreds of dollars. I understand it's used in hollywood to edit videos and things, but there is no reason software should cost more than 100$. They get upset about people pirating their 500$ software, yet don't lower prices. 

Games for 60$ is somewhat dumb in my opinion but I've only ever pirated one game.  If the game is really good+ has multiplayer it's alright if it's 60$.  But games that are just a campaign without multiplayer shouldn't be 60$ IMO.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

It's like saying if you are going to speed why not be a serial killer? If you are going to break the law, break it all the way...

I don't consider downloading the episode of XYZ tv show that was on last night on channel 2 piracy. Some people do.

If you break the law, even by the slightest amount, you have already broken it. Why stop there? And if you are going to speed you might aswell be a serial killer.

The law is the law. Trying to justify breaking the law is stupid.

Pretty much this. As an adult, taking software and not paying for it is wrong no matter how many try to justify it. That's just my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree. Thing is, if it wasn't for the regular Joe's buying and supporting the devs, there would be nothing for anyone to pirate .If everyone pirated, what would be the incentive for a dev to continue creating the games we like to play?

I don't understand how some are OK with pirating only single player games because they apparently have no use after beating them. Um, some people play games for the experience. And just because nothing is physically taken, does not mean its not stealing. You are obtaining software code and downloading said code directly to your HD, without compensating the devs for their hard work. And to say that, well I wouldn't have bought it anyway, is a pretty ridiculous statement. If people were not going to buy it, then why bother with it at all? And if its too expensive, well hey, that's life. There are many things that I cannot afford, or will not pay for, but at my age my thinking is not, I have no money so I'm going to DL it because I'm entitled to it. 

Again, this is just my take on it. 

The only issue is.. How do we know the devs are getting the bulk of that and not a yacht living CEO lol for all we know the devs get paid like 15$ an hour while the CEO collects 90% of the 60$ from each game :/

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

There are some cool new ways around the cause of pirating that id like to see take over. Crowd funding and subscription based access.

Crowd funded games, No big publishers just the gamer and the dev. You would most likely get to chose how much you pay and you can see how much the dev is asking for. And we (the gamers) understand the concepts where as publishers kinda dont.

Subscription based access, like Adobes creative cloud. I think its still too expensive but at least the option is there. And you can choose monthly renewals so if you only use their products once every few months thats perfect. Its also nice to not have to put up a lot of money for something.

If you break the law, even by the slightest amount, you have already broken it. Why stop there? And if you are going to speed you might aswell be a serial killer.

I don't think that's the right way to go about this. Everyone who drives has gone over the speed limit at least one point in time whether it was accidentally or on purpose. Going over the speed limit (is being accidentally) is involuntary by the driver whereas the downloading illegally is not involuntary. Just because you have gone faster than the speed limit doesn't mean you should kill people.

Breaking the law is not the same as breaking the law in other areas. I know that speeding will increase your chances of killing someone but so will drinking alcohol and smoking; whether it's yourself or someone else.  

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

The only issue is.. How do we know the devs are getting the bulk of that and not a yacht living CEO lol for all we know the devs get paid like 15$ an hour while the CEO collects 90% of the 60$ from each game :/

To me, that is none of my concern. The devs, or anyone who works for the team, have a job and get compensated. Now if nobody is buying their work, then chances are, there will be no money to keep them on board so that they can continue to collect a paycheck. In every company, there are big wigs who make a ton of more money than the workers who keep the company alive. However, that doesn't mean we should punish them for choosing to work for EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc. Now if that is truly an issue you have, then maybe throw some support for Indie devs, or a smaller company like CD Projekt RED.

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro

I do it for old games (things beyond 10 years), and sometimes music if it's something I can't really get any other way. 

For software, I use freeware. GIMP is my Photoshop, Open Office is my Microsoft Office.

Honestly, if you spend the time to learn them, they work just as well. Re-learning sucks, but it's free (if you don't count time).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I torrent games "DayZ, BF3, Diablo" all to see how well they will run on my system before buying them or I will keep them until they go on sale on steam or origin. 

Support the DEV's of the games you enjoy not buy a game for $60 and hate it 2 days later.

As far as downloading games and other software to test them, I think the software companies need to make demos available more often. Full featured but time limited. Especially games. Youtube videos can only show you how the game looks, not how it plays on your PC.

The law isn't always what's right, by the law in many countries, women are to be stoned to death for showing their face in public. Please go on and justify that.

Check out my Trading Card Inventory, I probably have that one card you need

Gaming PC  Corsair C70 Arctic White ▪ MSI Z77 MPower ▪ i7-3770k, Core 4.0 GHz ▪ Patriot IEM 4 x 4GB @ 2133MHz ▪ 2 x Palit GTX 670 Jetstreams in SLI, Core 1250 MHz, Mem 3150 MHz ▪ OS on 128GB Samsung 840 Pro ▪ Silverstone ST85F-P w/ Fancy Silverstone Cables

Server ▫ Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey ▪ Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ▪ i5-2500 ▪ Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4GB @ 1600MHz ▪ Asus GTX 550ti ▪ OS on 120GB Samsung 840 ▪ 5.2TB Storage Space ▪ Antex HCG 900

In my younger days I would pirate games, typically Football Manager. I also bought a PS3, flashed it and downloaded games via usenet when it got hacked a few years ago. It's not something I do anymore though as it's far more convenient and reliable to just buy games off steam etc.

I do however download TV shows and the occasional film (I prefer going to the cinema for films.) Most TV shows I can watch as I have Sky anyway but some take longer to come out here in the UK plus I prefer to watch in HD with no ads so that's why I download TV.

I'm not much into music but if I am then I use spotify or go old school and put the radio on.

I am completely okay with it. I buy most of my games now but there was a time not long ago when I pirated everything because I couldn't afford any of it. The same is still true of TV, movies and music (I can only afford one medium currently). You're not losing sales if I could never buy it in the first place, hence there being no immorality involved. 

My setup used to be linked here but links aren't allowed so... it shall remain a mystery!

I take what software I want. As simple as that.

If the software is worth the money, sure, I'll buy it. Otherwise I won't even be bothered, let alone feel "bad" for not paying for it. The whole "developers have to eat" rubbish is hilarious.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

I should probably not say anything.

I do download tv-series because i don't want to wait for 2 whole years before i get the same episodes in Norway..

I also download some games, but mind you if i like them i will delete the pirate copy and buy it.. 

I support those that i like..

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -