Would you stop pirating if content did not cost too much?

Ethnod

Any minimum wage part time job will pay enough for you to afford games.

Only so long as you still live with your parents ? 

CPU i7 970 |  COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper N520 | Ram: 12GB DDR3 1333 GPU: GTX 560Ti | Mobo: EVGA Classified 3 | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | Boot Drive: 120GB OCZ Vertex | Games Drive: 2TB WD Green | OS: Windows 7 | Monitors: 40in Samsung LN40A650, 2x 24in Samsung T240HD

Sharing games and music is basically the same thing...think about it

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I will usually pirate a game that devs have stopped patches and support on or theirs little or no multiplayer servers left.
Music, i stopped doing so because of spotify. Movies I still do, but not blue rays just new rips. Then if I enjoy it I will go see it in the cinema or buy the DVD.

Intel Core i7 4770K | Gigabyte R9 290 OC 4GB Windforce Edition | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Mobo

Noctua NF-S12A FLX 120 + 140mm Fans | Corsair H100i CPU Cooler | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | BitFenix Ghost Case

Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM-850 PSU | G. Skill Sniper 16GB (4x4GB) | AOC G2460PQU 144Hz Monitor

My view on it is try before you buy. If I don't like a game within a few minutes, I'll stop playing and delete. If I like it, I'll go buy it.

I agree with most of that except the part where you place the decision making in the hands of people who aren't the owners of the IP.  It's their IP, they should be able to do whatever they want with it, however misguided.  A lot of what you said is indeed silly and outdated and flawed in this day and age but I don't think the answer to the call of change lies in pirating.  At least not to make the changes people want.

Because the alternative is worse. When the prospect of buying it is non-existent, then not pirating it and instead choosing to go without is actively doing a disservice to the IP holder. You are fulfilling that IP's value more by pirating it than by not having it at all. Obviously pirating it isn't contributing as much as actually buying it, but it's contributing more than going without. Do you not agree that it's insane that the scenario that's more beneficial to the IP holder is considered "wrong" while the scenario that's the least beneficial to the IP holder is considered "right"?

Because it means that the practical reality is that everything's available for free and thus everyone has the choice of going with the free one if they disagree with the value of the "paid" one. In real life this wouldn't be possible without the IP holder suffering a loss, but on the internet it's far less damaging to the IP holder and potentially beneficial. This doesn't have so much to do with the ethics of what you quoted, but more to do with the flaws of the "paid" system (the "paid" system not simply being a system where the IP holder gets paid, but specifically the system whereby the IP holder/vendor sets the price and expects people to pay it or go without).

A poor payment system has no baring on what you quoted, but instead results in IP holders not earning the money they deserve for their work in a medium where the practical reality is that everything's available for free.

Because again, the alternative isn't beneficial at all, but I've already addressed this in the first paragraph.

All this time you've been saying value, I suspect you haven't meant value in general, but monetary value...specifically the value the IP owner has set it at. Either way...

I may or may not value their IP (it depends on the IP), but the issue is whether the value I see in said IP is as much as the monetary value they've set it at. If it isn't, then regardless of the value that I see in it, I only have the option of pirating it (or going without, but as I've said, that would do a disservice to the IP holders). This is the problem with the "paid" system I defined further up...There are masses of people who would pay for the value that they see in various IPs, but they aren't able to pay for it...the "paid" system doesn't allow it.

Your standpoint is that IP has value, IP holders deserve to get paid and that piracy stops that happening. That's incorrect. The truth is that IP has value, IP holders deserve to get paid that the "paid" system stops that from happening. You will never stop piracy, because it's essentially just the internet doing what the internet was made to do, but you can change the payment system to one that allows IP holders to receive the monetary value that their IP deserves...Maybe not the monetary value that the IP holder sees in it, but the monetary value that the people who value it see in it.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I agree with most of that except the part where you place the decision making in the hands of people who aren't the owners of the IP. It's their IP, they should be able to do whatever they want with it, however misguided. A lot of what you said is indeed silly and outdated and flawed in this day and age but I don't think the answer to the call of change lies in pirating. At least not to make the changes people want.

Maybe it's not ideal, but the decision making is already in the hands of the people who aren't the owners of the IP. They already get to choose whether free suits them better than the value the IP holders place on it.

As for whether pirating is the call to change? No. It's just a sign that we need it. It seems like money's become the only way to affect change, so I'd have thought the amount of money they're missing out on due to their broken system would be motivation enough to change things, but if even that isn't sufficient anymore, then I don't know what possibly could be.

I pay for games and music but if i want to see a movie that i havent seen yet or i have never heard of i pirate it, if i like it i buy it. Speaking of Microsoft Office, the company my dad works for, they sell microsoft office 2013 that the key works on 5 pcs for 10 bucks

Where would a month long subscription to a direct download site (depositfiles, uploaded.net) so i could do simultaneous downloads of pirated material fit into all this?

Here's what I do; I pirate a lot most of my media. But only to find out if its good or not. if its a music file and I have a paid version I will pirate the flac version because I don't buy CDs. I find most content these days to be filth that I wouldn't pay for. Its no longer like it was in our folks days when people had to make good movies and music to make an honest buck.

By now your saying but why are people still making money? Its because everything is so accesable that people don't think about the money they are spending. Remember when the only option you had was to go to a blockbuster or a record store and think if it was worth the effort? I sure don't but I adopted that mentality in my own way.

Here is where I would keep my frolics if I had any.

I rarely pirate anything. And everything i do pirate isn't available in this part of the world.

I prefer buying most games and movies used. A lot cheaper.

Also,

>Pays 2000$ for a computer.

>Pirates Windows because he "can't afford it".

No. Just... no.

I buy what I can. Most of my money is spent on games, but I don't make enough money to get everyone I like. I try to buy all the games that I deem worthy, which I world say is 70% of the games I pirate. As far as movies, I only pirate movies I have seen in a theater. In my mind, that justifies pirating the movie.

Also,

>Pays 2000$ for a computer.

>Pirates Windows because he "can't afford it".

No. Just... no.

"Just because I can" would make a better excuse.

I would pay a pretty good amount if they could guarantee that the content that was available would always remain available.

When netflix loses licenses with companies and content goes away, that really makes me dislike paying for the stuff and makes pirating look better. Once you pirate a show/movie/song you have it forever.

• 2 weeks later...

i think i will probebly get punched in da face if i tell my opinion... 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Maybe it's not ideal, but the decision making is already in the hands of the people who aren't the owners of the IP. They already get to choose whether free suits them better than the value the IP holders place on it.

As for whether pirating is the call to change? No. It's just a sign that we need it. It seems like money's become the only way to affect change, so I'd have thought the amount of money they're missing out on due to their broken system would be motivation enough to change things, but if even that isn't sufficient anymore, then I don't know what possibly could be.

ya they will change......and make everything an online mmorpg like skyrim xD

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

In Malaysia, we get RM10.00 (3.15$) for a game. (depend on how many DVD needed)
For example, GTA 4 3 DVD RM15.00 (4.72$)
Nowadays, almost everything on the internet. Who cares legal or illegal ?

I used to DL HBO shows when I cared because HBO is useless.

Music is where I come into trouble, the prices are so over priced it's ridiculous! I'm getting really tired of the music industry, and don't even get me started on the movie industry...

CPU - I7 4770k @ 4.3GHz GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Extreme RAM - 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133MHz  Case - Corsair 800D PSU - Corsair AX1,200i CPU Cooler - Custom Liquid CPU Cooler SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hard Drive - Western Digital Black 1TB.

I download all old games illegally, those that aren't in store. Games like BF3 and COD 7 i got from friend or bought.

I have done it in the past, but it really depends on the circumstances. If it's an overpriced game with restrictive DRM there's no way I'm going to buy a legit copy when the cracked one will provide me with a better experience. I still haven't played past the first mission of Hawx 2 because the DRM is broken, even when I'm connected to the internet it doesn't let me play it, and Ubisoft still hasn't fixed it. If a company will take my money and not let me play what I paid for, I think it's only fair that I can take their game without paying for it. If it's an overpriced game without DRM, or I just can't afford it at the moment, then I wait for a sale to come on.

Music I will get legit copies if it's a band that I really like, for example I have the entire box set (the mini-LP version, it's so cool) of all of the original Led Zeppelin albums. Since I only really like certain songs by other bands (and I don't want to use iTunes) I usually try to watch the official uploading of the song, so at least they get money through advertising. The only music that I download illegally are bootleg live recordings, but that's because you can't even buy versions of those concerts.

Movies are different. I think that they're a complete ripoff. I will go to the cinema to see them, and then I will watch them when they come onto netflix. If I'm not able to see a movie I like the look of then I'll download it illegally. It's very rare that I'll be willing to buy a DVD, unless it's like the extended versions of Lord of The Rings where it comes in cool packaging and offers a lot of bonus content.

Those are the only cases I tend to illegally download stuff, but I don't really have any problem with other people doing it.

Had to pirate CS6 master collection for my windows machine, I have a key from school that is good for two computers but for some reason it will only work with mac (F*cking Adobe) so I have no remorse. Also I feel with music the record companies screw over the artists, so I pirate that (and go to their shows in town) unless they are indy.

I used to torrent loads, mainly games which I hated myself for,bit stopped when I actually looked at steams awesome prices. That more than anything has driven me away from piracy, the fact that the stuff is reasonably priced. Also, its stupid to expect someone, (especially consoles) to pay £45 for a new game they haven't even played yet. Thats why PC's and Steam rock

I HATE IT WHEN MY BROTHER DOWNLOADS TORRENTS, I CANT PLAY GAMES WIHTOUT 600 ping

Prepare for battle in BATTLEFIELD 4! All New Dog tags JUST LIKE THIS:

Well, Australia was reported as the top offenders of pirating Game of Thrones. 

Sorry, HBO. (Not sorry.)

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

^thanks for the new page... lol

Prepare for battle in BATTLEFIELD 4! All New Dog tags JUST LIKE THIS: