Would you stop pirating if content did not cost too much?

Ethnod

GIMP doesn't really compare to Photoshop though.

It's still a nice program, and unless you are working professionally often gets the job done just fine ;)

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Dell buys Windows in so big bulks that the price drops to about $25.

Thats my point.  Pre-built computers get Windows for cheaper, thus making them a better value.

It exists. I also usually think of how much work and effort went into making the music, movie, tv show, program, game, whatever. People need to earn money, and while pirating removes only a small percent of revenue, that money could really help the company/person that created the content. 

I'll download one player games - Crysis 3 , DMC , and expensive programs.  Adobe collection. I'd prob only buy softwares if it' is my revolves around my occupation , other wise for personal use just pirate it.

I think when it comes to things like Television shows or Films from the 1990s and before, there is nobody watching them on TV as they're no longer broadcasted, they're not on streaming services and not for sale on places like Amazon...what else is one to do?

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Thats my point.  Pre-built computers get Windows for cheaper, thus making them a better value.

did you just say that? maybe to build, not buy.

windows is not part of the system when you can get windows for free

the only reason people pay for that shitty OS is for gaming

I will not pay for a shitty OS but I will gladly donate to many of my free linux distros I love 

*walks out*

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

I was suppose to get Borderlands 2 with my Graphics Card that I bought from Fry's.

They never gave me the code.

I took that as permission to just go pirate it. Because I wasn't going to make the 40 minute commute (1 way) to go get my game.

That plus Game of Thrones.  My god, if they would let me pay for it, I would.  But they won't, so I guess its download time.

I've noticed that a lot of people here reply that, because they have no money, they pirate stuff they can't afford. I'm curious to know what the general age group pirates in the first place percentage wise. Say, 13-17, 18-25, 26-35, etc. I can see how someone young in age might have different views than someone who has worked for a living, knows the value of working, and getting paid for said work. When I was in my teens, I didn't care about such things as I do now. 

I think some of you need to watch this :blink: :

From the 6 minutes I could tolerate of that, it seemed to be making the usual mistake of framing every pirated copy as a lost sale.

Keep in mind, in regards to the age-groups, that younger people are far more likely to be in tune with the philosophy of the internet and that anything on it is fair game (not just pirated software). As someone who is part of the internet generation and gotten paid for digital work (albeit not to the point of making a living off it), I don't expect to be paid for anything once it's found it's way onto the internet, because by that point it's already been set free.

I'm a developer so I am certainly against it.  People made the programs you use and the music you listen to and are entitled to reasonable compensation for it.

I say reasonable because I think Adobe's products are outrageously priced...

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

I'm a developer so I am certainly against it.  People made the programs you use and the music you listen to and are entitled to reasonable compensation for it.

I say reasonable because I think Adobe's products are outrageously priced...

hence why I PIRATE THEM

muahahahahhahahhaahhah

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

But do you want a computer that has quality parts or is the worst shit.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

From the 6 minutes I could tolerate of that, it seemed to be making the usual mistake of framing every pirated copy as a lost sale.

Keep in mind, in regards to the age-groups, that younger people are far more likely to be in tune with the philosophy of the internet and that anything on it is fair game (not just pirated software). As someone who is part of the internet generation and gotten paid for digital work (albeit not to the point of making a living off it), I don't expect to be paid for anything once it's found it's way onto the internet, because by that point it's already been set free.

I commend you for actually getting that far into the video.  B) Regardless if its a lost sale or not, the mentality that people are entitled to it for free is not OK. But that is just my opinion. I can't stop people from doing what they do. And others have brought up good points to the other side of the argument. There are times when games have had issues because of DRM or a bad patch, and the pirated copy plays just fine. 

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro

I commend you for actually getting that far into the video.  B) Regardless if its a lost sale or not, the mentality that people are entitled to it for free is not OK. But that is just my opinion. I can't stop people from doing what they do. And others have brought up good points to the other side of the argument. There are times when games have had issues because of DRM or a bad patch, and the pirated copy plays just fine. 

How do you feel about the idea that a set price for post-creation digital content is a broken system for the internet age?

As to whether people are entitled to digital content for free almost seems arbitrary as long as the unalterable reality is that it's available for such a price.

Got all the way through, only died six times  B)

Can't wait till one of the pirateers in this thread see's a supposed thief taking their stuff and the thief replies, "don't worry man, I'm only pirating your stuff, if I like it I'll buy it from you".

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Can't wait till one of the pirateers in this thread see's a supposed thief taking their stuff and the thief replies, "don't worry man, I'm only pirating your stuff, if I like it I'll buy it from you".

Assuming they're creating perfect replicas of my stuff first and then running off with those, I'd be totally cool with it. ;)

It depends, I'm young and don't have a job so I buy the games when I got the money, otherwise I crack them. I wouldn't buy them anyway so I don't think that's much of a problem. + you have no idea how much my friends buy games based on my opinion so if the game is good they still get sales from me in a way.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

I do download games!

Stuff like COD where you get ripped off when you buy it (60$ game + pay for DLCs -> NOPE)

I started pirating COD after they introduced the first DLC (Mappack) for COD 6 that you had to pay for.

I won't change that until they start to produce a good COD again where the mappacks are free and where there are dedicated servers again.

Do not get me wrong i do buy games too (i have over 150 games in my Steamacc)

But imo the gameindustry has to learn something: they cant get away with bad games anymore.

I payed money for games like Portal / Portal 2 or Antichamber but i will not buy a new COD unless they improve it...

Improvements like free DLCs, dedicated servers and stuff like that.

Just look at TF2 that was released in 2007. Now its a free 2 play game and it still gets FREE updates. (ofc you could argue that by now its a hat-simulator)

Regarding Music:

im not really interested to keep my collection up-to-date

since there arent as many good somgs as there were a few years ago.

But if i come to like one song i usually proceed like that:

- is it too expensive

- is it only available on itunes

if one(or both) of those two points is(are) true i gonna download it somewhere else

I do not pay for movies/Series

A ) because i only watch Anime

B )most of those doesn't get licensed here in germany (and crunchyroll doesn't enable most series here too)

C ) if an anime gets a license it usually just trash (like Highschool of the Dead) and the good stuff (like Steins;Gate) doesn't get one

but from time to time there will be a exception of the rule - like Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki -> which i will get when its getting released at the end of July.

I bought my Windows 7 Ultimate

and for everything else most of the time you can find a free program that does the same thing as the program you have to pay for (DU Meter [22$] vs NetWorx [FREE])

And for Streaming vs Download:

with streams you are always bound to a fast internet connection and if you are searching a specific series you watched its kinda hard to remember where you could have watched it

while with downloads you can always copy the stuff you want on an external HDDs and take that with you and if you search something you only have to remember on which HDD you saved the file

Pro downloading.

Won't mind paying a montlhy fee to get unlimited download's for everything ...

Picture this: you pay 150 euro/month extra and you can download EVERYTHING!

Proud to be from Belgium.

Here's a serious question, 

Why do all of you people feel entitled to things like photoshop or premier pro or whatever "outrageously" expensive piece of software?  Are you paying your bills with it?  Please take me through the process of "I want to use it to dink around with" to "I'm going use it without paying any dues" Why do you need photoshop to make a cool forum sig?

I can't make the jump anymore.

That being said I'm a dirty hypocrite and don't mind downloading shows that I've missed on tv or didn't DVR, because I pay $120+ a month for it.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

That being said I'm a dirty hypocrite and don't mind downloading shows that I've missed on tv or didn't DVR, because I pay $120+ a month for it.

That is exactly how I feel. I pay $250 a month for my cable/internet/phone bundle, I get all the TV channels and have all TV shows. Sometimes I forget to record something, I'm about to download Under The Dome. Nobody will convince me I am doing something illegal if all I am doing is downloading what I could have legally recorded but forgot to.

Here's a serious question, 

Why do all of you people feel entitled to things like photoshop or premier pro or whatever "outrageously" expensive piece of software?  Are you paying your bills with it?  Please take me through the process of "I want to use it to dink around with" to "I'm going use it without paying any dues" Why do you need photoshop to make a cool forum sig?

I can't make the jump anymore.

That's the second time someone's used "entitled" in a way that's itched me. Would "it's okay" be equivalent, or do you mean something more than that?

To answer your question, it's a case of "why not"? There are two possible scenarios...

1: I don't get Photoshop. I don't benefit from Photoshop and Adobe gets no money.

2: I get Photoshop. I benefit from Photoshop through enjoyment, education and a possible future in graphic design. Adobe still gets no money, but they get my advertising and may get my money in the future.

Now, of those two scenarios, one is varyingly advantageous to both parties, while the other, isn't.

meh i pirate everyting (meaning tv shows/movies since i dont play games and i listen to my music off youtube haha)

comon im a kid and also if a tv show comes out itll take a WHILE before they release the disk version....and i cant always catch the show on TV at the specified time..#burn notice.....

movies....well where im from the dvd clubs DL the movies and sell em for 5$ which is approx less than 1USD LOL sooo yea i rather save my money since im not working heh

also netflix gets movies sorta late and original copies are released at a later date also ......sorrrrryyyy if i was busy studying and couldnt make it to the theater to get a ticket for the movie.....

I don't pay for (or for that matter use) commercial software unless its REALLY good. Otherwise free and open source alternatives usually suffice.

Music piracy doesn't cost artists, and lets be honest, the labels, anything.  Except for a VERY, VERY small handful of artists, most album releases are now just promotional devices.

Pirating televisions and film doesn't seem like a real concern to me.  If it were an actual problem, then the corporations would've taken a more serious approach outside of "5 strikes", which itself was just a glorified doctors note for poor stock performance.