Would you stop pirating if content did not cost too much?

Ethnod

So had some friends over and we got talking about pirating games, music, films, TV and so on. Some people arguing for and others against. Some people saying why pirate films and TV shows when you can just use Netflix and then others pointing out that looks like some of the major content holders are making their own subscription services so you would have to subscribe to a few to get what you wanted. The conversation went back and forth for a while.

So I was talking about Netflix and how I loved the concept and I would love to see it grow and succeed as I think its the wave of the future tbh. Personally I have and probably will pirate content. No major issue saying that I have and that I will as its true. One of the main reasons I do it is because of access, a lot of the TV shows I want to watch I cant watch and if I can the times are restricted to when its on TV and the quality is crap unless it happens to be on a HD channel and the odds of that...

So I was thinking, what is EVERY film and TV series was available on Netflix (or some other similar service) and you only had to pay one subscription for all of your TV and Film content. What is there was then one where you could gain access to all music you wanted for another monthly see. And finally if there was another one for games. Would you use it? How much would you pay?

Be genuine when answering the polls, don't just select the cheapest, no one like a cheap bastard lol But seriously, think about if it was available and how much would you be willing to pay right now

P.S: Assume that unlimited means unlimited as long as you are paying for the service (but actually unlimited, steam 24/7 if you like). As for how much content is there, assume like 95% of what you want you gain access to while you are paying the subscription. Once you stop you loose access. 

[Edit: Again, as requested, added more options to the polls]

Edited by Ethnod
Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

For unlimited games i would pay a lot more, like 300 or so! :D (if its future proof so every new game directly into my steam library)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

For TV series I would stop pirating if I could get what I wanted at release without any drm. No way that I'll wait for new Top Gear episodes to reach Norway just to get episodes that have 10-15 minutes cut out of them and the intended music switched out for something the BBC didn't have to pay so much for to broadcast abroad. And no way that ill buy media that I can't use on any device I want at any format I want

I dont pirate, i buy used, but if games and movies were cheaper i would buy first hand,I do understand why games are so expensive but with things like steam, i think, no used games on console would have helped make games, cheaper in the long run. this is just my opinion though.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Unlimited games as in any game ever released? I would easily pay more than $100 a month for that. You should add the option of "$xx or higher" under each subject.

As far as music goes i pay 99SEK each month for Spotify, which equals roughly $15.

$12 for my Netflix account.

Potato

youtube, and free to play games are all i need

Character artist in the Games industry.

I have unlimited Internet, so I pay $100 personally(business plan).

I don't watch TV/movies, I buy music that I like so I don't want unlimited music. I'd rather buy games and support the devs, and not pay for unlimited games for games i don't like(reminds me of a cable subscription, pay $70 for cable and watch 3 channels out of the 600 available).

My view at least.

If you are talking about a monthly fee of what ever you choose in the poll, then non of the above.
I wouldn't pay a monthly fee for that.
I'm happy pirating tv-shows/movies, spotify/youtube for music and other stuff.
I also pirate games (which dont offer a demo) and buy the game after I have tried it if I feel the game is worth buying and supporting the developers.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

where is the option "i don't need that" ? how the hell would it be possible to consume so much stuff? And i think flatreates don't give the people i watch/play/listen  the money they deserve

I would appreciate something like Hulu more where you just get a [small amount compared to TV] Sh*tload of ads but don't have to pay, but right now i generally don't watch much tv and if i want to There's sites where i can watch most stuff i would watch on Netflix anyway.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

I would appreciate something like Hulu more where you just get a [small amount compared to TV] Sh*tload of ads but don't have to pay, but right now i generally don't watch much tv and if i want to There's sites where i can watch most stuff i would watch on Netflix anyway.

Ads for Cable TV is horrible.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I do not pirate films or games anymore. I do download TV daily though.

I download TV because I can get it at a higher quality than it is available elsewhere. I rent films from Google Play. It is easier and more convenient than adding them to a torrent client.

I think that the results to this poll on this forum would not reflect the general public. The average age on this forum is probably 14 - 17. People in this age range dont generally have much disposable income and are going to try and get things for free when they can.

When it comes to movies I will download it and see what it's like, if I like it then I go out and buy a copy and every movie I've downloaded I have a genuine copy.

People won't agree with that but I'm not spending what little money I have spare in something I don't like but I do go out and buy it if I like it.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I think since Steam got an actual store I havn't ripped a game anymore ^^ Which is for a long time now ^^

I stream some stuff, because I don't see a reason I get everything stuffed with Ads, in german and 6 months late. Neither do I want it flooded with ads, nor in german [prefer to watch english stuff in english and japanese stuff with subtitles and so on (very few exceptions) ] and I do not wish to wait 6 months longer to get the new episodes of my serials. And I hate the fact that TV tells you when you are able to watch something and when not.

And the TV program gets worse daily. Nothing but reality TV. I think I watch TV twice a week, if I am on time for Simpsons for dinner. Otherwise, I only use my TV to have my ubuntu plugged to it showing me what I want, when I want, without ads or anything.

And I really really really really ... really hate ads.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Does "unlimited" mean unlimited forever, or in the ISP sense as in unlimited untill it runs out?

It also needs an "0$" option.

I don't mind paying for a service that provides music, movies etc. If the product I'm getting, is as easy or even easier to optain, compared to "pirating it".

Something like Netflix is awesome and a step in the right direction. However I still need to wait several months, before what was  'current content' is added. The same goes for HBO, which has a limited amount of content on the danish platform. Spotify isn't working for me either since it featues absolutely none of the artists I listen to.

Does "unlimited" mean unlimited forever, or in the ISP sense as in unlimited untill it runs out?

It also needs an "0$" option.

I don't mind paying for a service that provides music, movies etc. If the product I'm getting, is as easy or even easier to optain, compared to "pirating it".

Something like Netflix is awesome and a step in the right direction. However I still need to wait several months, before what was  'current content' is added. The same goes for HBO, which has a limited amount of content on the danish platform. Spotify isn't working for me either since it featues absolutely none of the artists I listen to.

Unlimited in the UK means unlimited.

And the TV program gets worse daily. Nothing but reality TV. I think I watch TV twice a week, if I am on time for Simpsons for dinner. Otherwise, I only use my TV to have my ubuntu plugged to it showing me what I want, when I want, without ads or anything.

And I really really really really ... really hate ads.

My sister watches reality TV like Preacher's Daughter. This isn't a reality show, but she also watches Girl Code.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I dont pirate.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

My sister watches reality TV like Preacher's Daughter. This isn't a reality show, but she also watches Girl Code.

Ok, never heard of either. I just know these german white trash reality shows and they make me puke by even looking at the people infornt of the camera. Makes me hate people, hard.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

poll updated as requested

Oh and choose I dont pirate is for not interested. If not the poll is just going to get waaaaay too long. Its huge as it is lol

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Steam is a perfect example of DRM done right.

Don't punish your consumers through DRM, reward them instead.

Steam is one of many reasons why I stopped pirating... for the most part.

LMAO AT I dont pirate anything actually 0%

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”