Mother releases a app to force children to call back parents and lock their phones on their demand

What did you mean by kids in high school that needed this on their phone? Were they using their phone during classes or was there another reason?

At least here in Finland they are quite strict about using phones during classes in schools, teachers usually throw you out if you are seen with one which has eradicated the problem that kids are just using their phones and not learning quite a lot. Depends a lot on the teacher too, I remember when I still went to school during exams, our Spanish teacher played Angry Birds on his phone and really didn't check on students...

This kinda comes back to the system... Finland is known for having the best education in the world without being extremely strict.

I mean they were morons.

As for not answering parents' phone calls. In 13 years I'm going to have a 13 year old daughter.

In 13 years time there won't be phones, god knows what we'll have but you'll probably look back to this discussion and think "why was that even a concern"

Oh, and I have a 13 year old now,  trust me, phones will be the last thing you are concerned about. :(

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I mean they were morons.

there were smartphones when linus was in high school? isnt linus like over 9000 years old!?!?!?!?! i.... am flabbergasted ;)

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

God it must be hard to not call other people a moron when you're as smart as yourself, Linus. (not sarcasm!)

I think it applies more directly to the current generation, though. I think I remember kids in elementary school that were getting phones/had phones by middle school and that was a decade ago+. With the ability to use your phone for so much more besides simply text under the desk, along with it being likely that every other young teen owns a modern cellphone, the usefulness of this shouldn't be overlooked.

As for not answering parents' phone calls. In 13 years I'm going to have a 13 year old daughter. If she's out past curfew and not picking up my calls, she could be in serious danger. Not being able to use her phone except to call me is a-okay.

I agree with you but I think there needs to be an option to call the police, the fire department and so on. Also there should be another list of people that can still be called while you phone is 'locked' 

I went to high school with a lot of kids who need this on their phone. I think it's a great idea.

I think a lot of people in this thread are getting the wrong idea. This isn't a stealthy "oooh I'm gonna spy on you" tool. This is something parents and teen sit down and install together (perhaps part of the deal where they get a phone in the first place) and agree about how it's going to be used.

If the rule is "no phones at the table", I ain't gonna ask you 6x and have a long-ass conversation about it. Put it the ^^^^ away or it'll be locked for the night.

As for not answering parents' phone calls. In 13 years I'm going to have a 13 year old daughter. If she's out past curfew and not picking up my calls, she could be in serious danger. Not being able to use her phone except to call me is a-okay.

Like any safety mechanism there are ways this kind of tool can be abused by buttheads, but if it's all part of an over-the-table agreement, I don't see the issue.

Can't argue you are a parent after all, I just hope buttheads will not go like ''ha you didn't answer back in 3 seconds, you're banned for a year'', but buttheads stay buttheads.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I had one of these in high school

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_v_box(v100)-224.php

Dat screen resolution, and linus posted in my post! It's a holy sign, all hail Linus!

Pascal laptops guide

so slapping ur kid or taking the phone is out of the question ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I have a better idea, stop giving iphones and Samsung Galaxies to toddlers and wait till they are at least midway through highschool to trust them with a phone.

Wait, our school system might not match exactly, but some people are 18 when they're at least midway trough highschool here.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Wait, our school system might not match exactly, but some people are 18 when they're at least midway trough highschool here.

Yes. 18 year-olds are usually either seniors or in some cases sophomores too.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

This won't work for me, this only works for teens that are constantly busy with their phones. 

If my parents call me and i don't answer, it's because my phone is on silent and i didn't see the call...

So if they lock my phone down, i don't care! it doesn't make a difference. I call them back as soon as i see i missed a call anyway...

The effectiveness is really not that much...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I'm sure this will work really well on teenagers that keep there phones charged unlike me mine is always flat unless I want to play jet pack joyride

So, some scary thoughts occurred.

What if the child was home alone with an invader or trapped somewhere in general in harms way and mommy attracts so much attention with forced calls that the gunman kills her child? 

Highly unlikely, but damn if it isn't possible.

Another scenario. Imagine if this were a teen driver who had their phone on silent/vibrate and didn't mean to miss a call and then had their mother lock the phone down to "teach their kid a lesson" when said teen driver was stranded due to a car issue. Congrats on winning parent of the year and making your kid hate you.

See? If you have zero trust in your kids to trust them with a phone, simply don't get them one until they are either mature or pay for it themselves. Otherwise, you're being a horrible parent who is a paranoid control freak,

this is easy to work around if you have a rooted phone.... reinstall the rom (but of course losing all your data)

or you could probabaly even ssh into your phone and uninstall the app (i dont own an android so im not 100% sure you can do this)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

So, some scary thoughts occurred.

What if the child was home alone with an invader or trapped somewhere in general in harms way and mommy attracts so much attention with forced calls that the gunman kills her child? 

Highly unlikely, but damn if it isn't possible.

Another scenario. Imagine if this were a teen driver who had their phone on silent/vibrate and didn't mean to miss a call and then had their mother lock the phone down to "teach their kid a lesson" when said teen driver was stranded due to a car issue. Congrats on winning parent of the year and making your kid hate you.

See? If you have zero trust in your kids to trust them with a phone, simply don't get them one until they are either mature or pay for it themselves. Otherwise, you're being a horrible parent who is a paranoid control freak,

You can call 991 (999 or 911, whatever emergency number your country has) or your mother while the phone is locked.

Pascal laptops guide

See not on iPhone #iPhoneMasterRace

I had one of these in high school

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_v_box(v100)-224.php

Kids today!

"Spoiled I tell 'e."

No-one had mobiles when I was at xchool.  Hell I didn't have a calculator till third year ([s3]13~15 years old), got pretty fast with a slide rule though.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"