SSD's are so overrated.

CowsGoRoar

My PC boots from shut down in 5 seconds with a hard drive thanks to Winows 8 and FastBoot. SSD's are so overrated, literally everyone is telling each other to get it. Until it gets to around $0.2 per GB, I won't be getting one.

And there's this one guy that tells someone to get a GTX 760 and a 120 GB SSD even though he's on a smaller budget. 

I would like to see proof of these 5 seconds. Did you count them really slowly?

Or maybe you didn't start the timer right as you pressed the power button till all programs are loaded in the desktop...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

u wot m8?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Launching applications is wehre it shines.

Ex: Eclipse takes ~20 seconds to launch on a hard drive

Almost 2 seconds with ssd

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

I think you meant Windows 8. I really hate that I liked that comment with the spelling mistake being there. As for SSD drives many a time I see them recommended for builds where really it is not that beneficial to the user based on what they are going for.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Its not just about boot times. I mean it was until windows 8 and fast came out. Now its more about how fast can you load into bf4. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

tumblr_mdf1m2BH5W1r1t4b6.gif

Oh. You better hide from the flamewar for that statement. SSD's went cheap so why not. 1Tb HDD 40€, 64GB SSD 70€

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

Pfft... m.2 SSD is where it's at.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I be getting one when i have enough money. Hopefully I'll get a ssd at the same time when i get my Corsair K70 RGB and M60 RGB.

Most people count there boot times from post to when desktop apps have fully loaded, not when your just first hit the desktop

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I agree that they are over rated. I went from a 2tb black to a 1tb evo and "yawn"  I dont regret buying it but damn people talk about them as if they are a godsend..kind of like they do about mechanical keyboards, yeah good but damn relax. Only legit reason I love ssd's is because they put out a lot less heat then those damn caviar blacks. 

SSD performance has nothing to do with boot time. Who shuts down their computers these days anyway? Modern machines sleep and wake so fast and use maybe a couple of watts when sleeping.

Wait SSD's have nothing to do with boot time? I thought it was the biggest factor in boot times...

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

SSDs make using a computer snappier.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

SSD performance has nothing to do with boot time. Who shuts down their computers these days anyway? Modern machines sleep and wake so fast and use maybe a couple of watts when sleeping.

Agreed. My school laptop has a 5400RPM mechanical hard drive and it resumes from sleep (this is Windows 7 by the way) in 3 seconds. Compared to my other laptop which has a 120GB mSATA SSD, which takes 2 seconds to resume from sleep in Windows 8. Yes it's a 33% improvement, but when it's this quick does it really matter?

The important thing is loading just programs like Microsoft Office programs takes about 10-20 seconds on a mechanical hard drive, whereas on an SSD it's pretty much instant. 

"Rawr XD"

Boot times are not what most users worry about when they recommend and buy SSDs.

Every single time the system has to read data off a hard drive you get into a bottleneck, it's not just when you open a game, every time you use the OS for something lot of files services and programs get executed, they are a ton and small but until they load it takes seconds.

When you find yourself waiting for those small seconds for the system to do something, the majority of times it's caused thanks to data not being on the memory that has to load from the hard drive.

Even when browsing, cached and temporal files get loaded up much quickly when your storage is faster.

We recommend and push SSDs forwards thanks to this reason, constantly your system faces bottlenecks from the hard drive. This is why people says "my system is feels more snappy" not for a couple of seconds on boot times.

Wait SSD's have nothing to do with boot time? I thought it was the biggest factor in boot times...

Depends what you mean by boot. In cold boot, yes. But again, who does that nowadays? Sleep is most often good enough for desktops and laptops alike. And regardless of whether you use an SSD or a HDD, boot from sleep is only a few seconds at most anyways.

"Rawr XD"

post-53148-0-87264300-1407645399.jpeg

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Depends what you mean by boot. In cold boot, yes. But again, who does that nowadays? Sleep is most often good enough for desktops and laptops alike. And regardless of whether you use an SSD or a HDD, boot from sleep is only a few seconds at most anyways.

ahhh ok I thought it was form cold boot.

All I gotta say is " HDD Access time" delays.

No thanks.

But yeah, I have a Disk Monitor gadget, it's the last thing that loads, and also shows me incremental usage until its really in idle at desktop.

2s to get past Raid/Bios, 2-3 seconds to paint the Windows logo, another 3s getting in and loading the apps and I'm in actual idle mode.

256GB 840Pro Raid0, although booting is the same speed with one or two. Instantaneous access to the files craps on standard HDD's access times.

I've run Single/Dualcores on 7200rpm drives fine, and your right, they can get people by with ease, as long as their not 5400rpm drives.

Each to his own, but the OP statement... is kinda begging for a bad response from the other users of the forum.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

There not needed but there nice to have :)

It's been said again and again:

The only reason people purchase SSDs is so they can get the vehicles first in BF4. 'Nuff said.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

Most people count there boot times from post to when desktop apps have fully loaded, not when your just first hit the desktop

On an SSD, by the time you hit the desktop, it's only a few more seconds before everything's loaded. However unlike a slow hard drive, with an SSD you can pretty much start working as soon as you hit the desktop while everything continues to load, and not take that big of a performance hit, compared to a hard drive where your PC becomes quite slow until you wait for most of the things have loaded.

"Rawr XD"