SSD's are so overrated.

CowsGoRoar
On 8/10/2014 at 5:23 AM, CowsGoRoar said:

My PC boots from shut down in 5 seconds with a hard drive thanks to Winows 8 and FastBoot. SSD's are so overrated, literally everyone is telling each other to get it. Until it gets to around $0.2 per GB, I won't be getting one.

And there's this one guy that tells someone to get a GTX 760 and a 120 GB SSD even though he's on a smaller budget. 

To put it very simple. If you believe it's overrated and if you do not see the difference or benefit from it. Then you do not need it. Then I would just continue using a HDD. However ssd is definitely not overrated for its use case. It's quite the opposite really :) my pc would be super slow with a HDD so I prefere going with my ssds

On 10/9/2020 at 8:33 PM, unsheeped said:

Post removed by user

The original message entry here was deleted. Please delete this extra message

well never moving back to a HD, use them as storage, and even then i have issues, with 10Gbe networking and only 250MB/sec from ironwolf disks

however i must admit i am running NVME and there i feel the value is gone, unless we are talking big transfers between systems, but not in desktop / gaming / app usage.

the application speedup between a PCi 4.0 X4 drive and a SSD Sata 550/550 MB/sec drive is so low. and 

6 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

the application speedup between a PCi 4.0 X4 drive and a SSD Sata 550/550 MB/sec drive is so low. and 

its been software capped way lower than even SATA SSD speeds but that is changing next year (with limited support to begin with).

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

I was reading through the post and was thinking who uses windows 8 etc then got up to the 2nd page to see it was from 2014 lol

I love my SSD

I have 2x sata SSD

and 2 NVME drives

just got a delivery of 2tb NVMe drive today

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro