SSD's are so overrated.

CowsGoRoar

I think you meant Windows 8. I really hate that I liked that comment with the spelling mistake being there. As for SSD drives many a time I see them recommended for builds where really it is not that beneficial to the user based on what they are going for.

A ssd is always beneficial as it makes the over all user experience better.

If you are really interested in being green you should invest in SSD's, they consume significantly less power than HDD's ;)

That's the prius argument, I believe. "Throw away what you already have and spend money to get something greener...which wouldn't have needed to be manufactured if you hadn't thrown away that which already worked!"

That's the prius argument, I believe. "Throw away what you already have and spend money to get something greener...which wouldn't have needed to be manufactured if you hadn't thrown away that which already worked!"

Lol True enough, but I am not suggesting you throw away working HDD's, I am simply saying that if you are interested in being "Green" you should be transitioning to SDD's in the future, as you need more storage or build new systems.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Lol True enough, but I am not suggesting you throw away working HDD's, I am simply saying that if you are interested in being "Green" you should be transitioning to SDD's in the future, as you need more storage or build new systems.

Ah, well in that case I agree. Eventually I will need a new PC and an SSD is something I will most assuredly get (unless something better comes along). I'll still keep at least one spinning disk around (a green, 5900 RPM mode, for backup purposes. it will spend most of its life spun down.) The other thing that will help is the fact that, for the workloads my PC endures, I don't need a faster processor. My 3.8GhZ i7 920 is plenty fast for my needs. A 4790K would be faster than what I have now at stock and output less heat. Win/win!

Fewer RAM DIMMs would also mean less power there. A mini-ITX mobo instead of a full ATX one (none of my games need more than one graphics card)...you are beginning to see the picture. But, like you said, as it stands now, it's more wasteful to replace that which isn't broken than move for 'green-ness'.

I admit though, the main reason I turn my PC off at night is to save money on power. Partly the power from the wall socket itself, mostly the power from the AC having to deal with the heat the system outputs.

Ah, well in that case I agree. Eventually I will need a new PC and an SSD is something I will most assuredly get (unless something better comes along). I'll still keep at least one spinning disk around (a green, 5900 RPM mode, for backup purposes. it will spend most of its life spun down.) The other thing that will help is the fact that, for the workloads my PC endures, I don't need a faster processor. My 3.8GhZ i7 920 is plenty fast for my needs. A 4790K would be faster than what I have now at stock and output less heat. Win/win!

Fewer RAM DIMMs would also mean less power there. A mini-ITX mobo instead of a full ATX one (none of my games need more than one graphics card)...you are beginning to see the picture. But, like you said, as it stands now, it's more wasteful to replace that which isn't broken than move for 'green-ness'.

I admit though, the main reason I turn my PC off at night is to save money on power. Partly the power from the wall socket itself, mostly the power from the AC having to deal with the heat the system outputs.

I have fairly little interest in being green, I am however interested in heat output and speed. That's why I use SSD's for boot and programs. I still keep documents and media files on a pair of WD Green 5400RPM HDD's though. I went with the Green's just because they output less heat than many 7200RPM drives. 

To each their own.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Boot times in my opinion do not matter all that much... Well, at least who does really shut down their computer? Everyone just use sleep, and it resumes in like 3-4 seconds easily..

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

Boot times in my opinion do not matter all that much... Well, at least who does really shut down their computer? Everyone just use sleep, and it resumes in like 3-4 seconds easily..

Agreed. I am much more interested in load times than boot times.

• 6 years later...

Original long message was removed by sender to return to peace without argument. People can just accept I had reasons for and against SSD drives, and I am really done going over this question for now. My response was years after the start of this topic, but critically speaking, computer hard drives are still a question for enthusiasts this year, and every year after the year end and the hopeful happy New Year's celebration. This is the cycle of life. I am no "Newbie," and it goes to show your automated user rating system is whack. I have a deep life-long culmination of technical experience for more years than I want to admit I have been alive.

FrontNAS.jpg

Edited by unsheeped
Keep the love for life going

On 8/10/2014 at 12:23 AM, CowsGoRoar said:

My PC boots from shut down in 5 seconds with a hard drive thanks to Winows 8 and FastBoot. SSD's are so overrated, literally everyone is telling each other to get it. Until it gets to around $0.2 per GB, I won't be getting one.

And there's this one guy that tells someone to get a GTX 760 and a 120 GB SSD even though he's on a smaller budget. 

look I find how funny how fast the times have changed... SSD drives can be found at under 20 cents a gig now, only 6 years after this post... the exact one he says too, oddly enough. 120GB SATAIII (the kind with the cables) are now ~19 dollars online... give or take a dollar.

it's the kind of thing that would have been a greek tragedy if it had happened 3,000 years ago with anything else, IDK the price of stone textiles being chiseled or something. "For mocketh the man did the price of the engraven stone, we laugh now, for hath not the price falleth beneeth that what he predicts!"

EDIT, I'm tripping here on some weird mandella effect type sh*t fact is the ssd is 19 dollars not 14.... in THIS UNIVERSE!!! (I'm on to you aliens)

derp

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Heh, way to necro a thread from 2014, @unsheeped and @Linksys120n

wait it was the guy before me who did it???? OH! haha, I thought it was nechro'd a few people back, I assumed it was because the op date lined up to be exactly 6 years or some crap haha... my bad... I sould read more posting dates than just the one guy above me haha.

derp

1 minute ago, Linksys120n said:

wait it was the guy before me who did it???? OH! haha, I thought it was nechro'd a few people back, I assumed it was because the op date lined up to be exactly 6 years or some crap haha... my bad... I sould read more posting dates than just the one guy above me haha.

I'm not complaining, I've necroed a thread myself as well by accident! Just found it funny that you'd go and necro a 6 years old thread 😃

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

On 8/10/2014 at 12:29 AM, LinusTech said:

SSD performance has nothing to do with boot time. Who shuts down their computers these days anyway? Modern machines sleep and wake so fast and use maybe a couple of watts when sleeping.

Wile I would typically agree. We have too many crazy drivers running into power poles here to make sleep mode piratical without a UPS in my town.

There is a big Honda ricer burner club in my town so go figure...

On 8/9/2014 at 9:23 PM, CowsGoRoar said:

My PC boots from shut down in 5 seconds with a hard drive thanks to Winows 8 and FastBoot. SSD's are so overrated, literally everyone is telling each other to get it. Until it gets to around $0.2 per GB, I won't be getting one.

And there's this one guy that tells someone to get a GTX 760 and a 120 GB SSD even though he's on a smaller budget. 

Me, over 6 years later

lets see about that “less then $0.2 per GB” price...

On 8/10/2014 at 7:23 AM, CowsGoRoar said:

I applaud you for using windows 8, but booting is not the only reason to get an SSD, slower wating times for opening anytning is another benefit of an SSD, size to storage ratio, faster storage overall and relabilly are all advantages SSDs have over hard drive. and if you are trolling then yes HDDs are the future of humanity, why is everyone so blind?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!

On 8/10/2014 at 6:23 AM, CowsGoRoar said:

That's not how it works. That's not how any of it works. There is no way you can possibly defend HDD as "equal" to any SSD. Between SATA and PCIe SSD, it's debatable, but you first have to step into SSD realm and it's like day and night compared to HDD's. And it's far from just boot times. People who buy them for boot drives only are the stupid ones, but when you can go full on SSD, there just isn't any comparison. Hybrid systems using PrimoCache are also a good option. But I can't imagine myself going with HDD anymore. I only have 8TB 5400 RPM HDD in my system for data hoarding and it's slowest one so it's quiet.

funnily enough, an HDD vs SSD does not make that MUCH of a difference in modern to past titles as well in gaming.

maybe 2-3 years from now they’ll build games that can take advantage of fast storage

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

On 10/11/2020 at 8:21 AM, RejZoR said:

That's not how it works. That's not how any of it works. There is no way you can possibly defend HDD as "equal" to any SSD. Between SATA and PCIe SSD, it's debatable, but you first have to step into SSD realm and it's like day and night compared to HDD's. And it's far from just boot times. People who buy them for boot drives only are the stupid ones, but when you can go full on SSD, there just isn't any comparison. Hybrid systems using PrimoCache are also a good option. But I can't imagine myself going with HDD anymore. I only have 8TB 5400 RPM HDD in my system for data hoarding and it's slowest one so it's quiet.

I would have argued but saw the post was from 2014.  

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

21 minutes ago, ewitte said:

YAWN!!! While I've done my share of Necrothreading... I do try to check the date first.

1 hour ago, ewitte said:

Oh for god sake. Well, that would apply even more back then. If you had SSD back then you were the cool dude. And not just as crappy boot drive. That was dumb back then and it's dumb now.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Oh for god sake. Well, that would apply even more back then. If you had SSD back then you were the cool dude. And not just as crappy boot drive. That was dumb back then and it's dumb now.

Well I had and still have two 1TB Crucial M500 SSDs from back then when I built my system in 2013... Keep in mind that during that Time, given the expense and low storage of SSDs they were best suited for an OS and application Drive with Data stored on HDDs.

Now Larger SSDs have gotten cheap....

4 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Well I had and still have two 1TB Crucial M500 SSDs from back then when I built my system in 2013... Keep in mind that during that Time, given the expense and low storage of SSDs they were best suited for an OS and application Drive with Data stored on HDDs.

Now Larger SSDs have gotten cheap....

I bought my 2TB SSD for 850€. I still think it was one of best purchases to date. It's now like 5 or even 6 years old, don't even know for sure it's been so long. I'll keep it for as long as SATA ports are around. SSD's just don't really get outdated. Sequential speeds are not really an issue unless your workloads explicitly demand higher. But for most stuff it's the random access that benefits you the most.

10 hours ago, Trentonxx said:

funnily enough, an HDD vs SSD does not make that MUCH of a difference in modern to past titles as well in gaming.

maybe 2-3 years from now they’ll build games that can take advantage of fast storage

I have played enough No Man's Sky to know that traveling with the portals is much faster when using SSD.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

13 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Its always applied I just give a pass the further back because they were so expensive at one time.  I know I was messing around with RAID0 on two 32GB drives and a SAS cart back in 2010-2011 but not everyone had that chance.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

I've stuffed Intel X25-M 80GB SSD drive into my ACER Aspire One laptop that originally had 160GB HDD. I believe that was around 2009, maybe 2010. It made that little thing actually more responsive than my current ASUS Transformer which uses crappy eMMC as storage and quad core Atom. Aspire One had Atom N270. Single thread HT enabled CPU. That's how much of a difference proper SSD makes.