SSD's are so overrated.

CowsGoRoar

Once you've used a SSD your not going to want to go back to a traditional hard drive.... 

you would never have enough SSD space 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

you would never have enough SSD space 

Simple I put important programs on my SSDs. Adobe's suite and games I often use.

Everything else goes on storage drives. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Did you count them really slowly?

Oneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, twoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....  :P

Wait SSD's have nothing to do with boot time? I thought it was the biggest factor in boot times...

Responsiveness. Even a relatively budget SSD will perform so much better than a HDD when messing around in an operating system or launching applications.

"ssd's are overrated"

youre high bro

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Oh. You better hide from the flamewar for that statement. SSD's went cheap so why not. 1Tb HDD 40€, 64GB SSD 70€

^This is the reason I'm not getting an SSD.^

Until it becomes as practical as high-rpm, high capacity HDDs, SSDs are out of the question...

Okay try and throw your hard drive at a wall and just sees what happens... you could launch an ssd 100 metres and it will probably still work.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I agree. My caviar black loads up programs and games just fine. Only thing my ssd does is boot up windows really fast and open skype but i never shut down my pc, it is always on sleep which means i dont need to open skype again. 

My sound card and mech keyboard are the best upgrades I have done to improve my everyday experience

Okay try and throw your hard drive at a wall and just sees what happens... you could launch an ssd 100 metres and it will probably still work.

That's a stupid comment, why would he do any of that?

That's a stupid comment, why would he do any of that?

Because you can. Up north, these things happen.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

SSD performance has nothing to do with boot time. Who shuts down their computers these days anyway? Modern machines sleep and wake so fast and use maybe a couple of watts when sleeping.

Well, to be fair, before Win8, SSD booted way faster than HDD due to faster random access speeds. With fastboot this difference is less apparent, but its still there. Not that you would buy an ssd just to get better boot times anyway :)

And yeah, lots of people shutdown their machines (myself included). Got ssds in all my systems and they boot very quickly anyway. And its always a  good idea to start cleanly (i even disable fastboot) to avoid any problems (as a matter of fact -- a laptop of mine doesn't like sleep at all due to crappy drives).

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Discounting a DVD/Bluray or USB drive, the hard disk is the biggest data bottle neck in your computer. In comparison to the general throughput of your computer it's EXTREMELY slow. Why not strengthen the weakest link?

My desktop runs 24/7 however my laptop and tablet do not. My i5 Surface2Pro destroys my i7 laptop in snappiness, boot, and loads because it has a SSD. They don't sleep because or rare use.

Setup:

Intel730 OS/utils

Intel730 Games

WD Black Movies, music, pics, etc

SSD can be overated.

Until you sit the SAME laptop side by side or do before and after testings,....

SSD (even SSHD) vs 5400rpm HDD, the difference is REAL. If you can't accept it. Thats ALL you.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

SSD performance has nothing to do with boot time. Who shuts down their computers these days anyway? Modern machines sleep and wake so fast and use maybe a couple of watts when sleeping.

But... I have to.

Even on my netbook it was a HUGE difference. eOS loads to the login screen in 7 seconds (topping out about 140MB/s, since that's all my netbook can handle). Before I was lucky to hit 90MB/s on my HDD.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

My like the speed of my RAID 0 840 pros. Just putting that out there. 

Hehe, so do I

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuMGR9WCQAAfQrM.png:large

It may never hit its Max doing day to day things,...but depending on the usage, I've seen things here skyrocket faster than single SSD speeds.

But the i5 Laptop I have /w SSD is the real reason I tell laptop owners SSD's/SSHD's are a must have over the standard 5400rpm drives, god they suck so bad!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Hehe, so do I

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuMGR9WCQAAfQrM.png:large

It may never hit its Max doing day to day things,...but depending on the usage, I've seen things here skyrocket faster than single SSD speeds.

But the i5 Laptop I have /w SSD is the real reason I tell laptop owners SSD's/SSHD's are a must have over the standard 5400rpm drives, god they suck so bad!

I've never tested mine but everything is snappy so it's really nice. I'm really tempted to get a 480GB/512GB single ssd though cause they're only like $210 now so if I sell my 840 pros, I might go for one of those. 

I've never tested mine but everything is snappy so it's really nice. I'm really tempted to get a 480GB/512GB single ssd though cause they're only like $210 now so if I sell my 840 pros, I might go for one of those. 

I wanted capacity, couldn't afford 512GB SSD, didn't wanna split drives, Raid 2x 840 will get me double capacity, speed boost is a bonus.

Can't complain (as I set up automated sys-image backup every 2 days to another PC if it goes kaput)

I wanted capacity, couldn't afford 512GB SSD, didn't wanna split drives, Raid 2x 840 will get me double capacity, speed boost is a bonus.

Can't complain (as I set up automated sys-image backup every 2 days to another PC if it goes kaput)

Yeah see I thought my backup would be fine but when my ssds both failed on me, it didn't work sooooo idk... lol. I ended up reinstalling everything. Took some time but didn't lose anything because I had all my important stuff on a mass storage drive and dropbox. 

my hdd takes like 45secs to boot windows (wd black) so how does yours take 5!!?? i am missing something here?

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

I don't care about startup speed, but with my SSD, I am able to get to work on the desktop within 2 secs not 2 mins with my HDD.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

my hdd takes like 45secs to boot windows (wd black) so how does yours take 5!!?? i am missing something here?

Some people only count the Windows Loading screen time, and think thats it. They don't count the bios or the Windows Logon screens nor the startup programs.

If we all did that we'd all be booting in 2-5s

Pretty sure when most people are talking up ssds they're comparing them to HDDs. SSHD are just a transitory oddball that is going to lose this "format war". Like HDDVD, laserdisc, zip discs and beta cassettes. And everyone knows it.

In all honesty SSHDs are great for NAS, desktops and servers(depending on use, obviously). However SSHDs are complete losers for laptops and any users who don't use terabytes of data (games, movies). Perhaps with the exception of photographers who have a lot of photos in which case they'd benefit from SSD faster read time with those annoying, but useful, thumbnails.

So yea...SSDs are the cats meow, but at twice the price for 1/5th the volume that SSHDs offer, they're not for every application.

I do, every night. Green planet and shit yo.

I do, every night. Green planet and shit yo.

If you are really interested in being green you should invest in SSD's, they consume significantly less power than HDD's ;)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Why u focus on boot times? If that was ssds only "trick" they would have been gone long long ago.