Carey Holzman says some stuff about LTT.

TheSLSAMG

did you see his review of the HP110 210?  45min for a pc review that everyone else only takes 10 minutes to do.  Basically it's 35 minutes of shit dumping and self promotion.

Never saw that one. Might have to check it out now.

Actually, he has 3 different videos covering that product. He just doesn't label the first one as "Part 1", so some people may not catch it. The first one is 46 minutes, but Part 2 and Part 3 are 90 minutes long, each.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I also forgot to mention this when I was first talking about the original video. Going with a 1TB SSD is extremly expensive. Yes HDDs are slow, but SSDs are just pointless for data storage. Yeah if you got money to burn it won't matter, but it makes me wonder how he convinces his "customer" to only use a very expensive SSD. In part 3 of his HP video he's again only using a SSD. It's a more reasonable size of 250GB, but he's supposedly building the best "bang for your buck" workstation PC with no HDD for file storage.

I also think he's misusing the term workstation. When I think of a workstation, I think of rendering, editing, and all of that stuff. Yet he's using slower 1600Mhz RAM and only an i5. So it seems like it's supposed to a computer for an office, but not an actual workstation PC. But if that's the case an i5 is overkill. If it's for office work an i3 is way more than enough.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Actually, he has 3 different videos covering that product. He just doesn't label the first one as "Part 1", so some people may not catch it. The first one is 46 minutes, but Part 2 and Part 3 are 90 minutes long, each.

I found it, I was rewatching that original video that started this mess. Just to try look at it from a different view. all I got was he seemed on the attack, against youtube commenters and other channels. Goes from saying these are what he suggest for customer, but if a commenter suggested why not .... he is like "I dont care do that with your build" this is right after he was talking about narrowed minded views...wowsers 

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

I have to say I partially agree with his opinion, mainly because of a lack of follow up video's reporting on how something is holding up, which while uncommon, would be nice. Granted I trust Linus to be fair and impartial, it still seems sometimes like his video's are more "overviews" than "reviews". Maybe it's because these products are all actually great, maybe it's because he doesn't do any follow ups about how things are holding up (so far as I can see).

Really up to us the customer to be well informed, and absorb as much knowledge as possible regarding a potential purchase. I do think it would be a good idea to include (X amount of time) "down the road" sections to videos, although I realize with NDA's and the tech industry being what it is, this isn't really pheasible. Which is why short (unless theres serious issues) follow up "how's it holding up" video's would be a unique and useful practice. Plus it would be more content which we obviously cannot get enough of :P.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I have to say I partially agree with his opinion, mainly because of a lack of follow up video's reporting on how something is holding up, which while uncommon, would be nice.

But a lot of that has to do with the fact that he's not allowed to keep most review samples, and for the ones he does keep, he doesn't have a way to be using it on a regular basis. For the few things they do keep and do use he will talk about those products in various videos. The JAS mini and that 21:9 LG monitor he has are two products that he brings up in other videos. But its not like you should expect him to work for free and make follow up videos that sponsors aren't going to pay for. 

One other thing I was thinking about with this Carey guy is it looks like he's violating the warranty terms of the products he buys. Consumer Retail Warranties don't apply to system builders the majority of the time. I also know for a fact that EVGA even has special model numbers for system builders and those cards only carry a 1 year warranty. That's because they expect the system builder to be the one providing the support. Yes that means he's likely paying retail prices, but he would have to be the one to register all the hardware in his name if he is going to have someone ship their computer back to him for a "warranty" issue.

Edit:

Ugh, skipped ahead in the part 3 video for the HP series and he's going on and on bashing Newegg and every reviewer in existence. He's the only person on the planet that is honest and objective, and that's why no companies will do business with him. Starts around the 30 minute mark.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

But a lot of that has to do with the fact that he's not allowed to keep most review samples, and for the ones he does keep, he doesn't have a way to be using it on a regular basis. For the few things they do keep and do use he will talk about those products in various videos. The JAS mini and that 21:9 LG monitor he has are two products that he brings up in other videos. But its not like you should expect him to work for free and make follow up videos that sponsors aren't going to pay for. 

One other thing I was thinking about with this Carey guy is it looks like he's violating the warranty terms of the products he buys. Consumer Retail Warranties don't apply to system builders the majority of the time. I also know for a fact that EVGA even has special model numbers for system builders and those cards only carry a 1 year warranty. That's because they expect the system builder to be the one providing the support. Yes that means he's likely paying retail prices, but he would have to be the one to register all the hardware in his name if he is going to have someone ship their computer back to him for a "warranty" issue.

Well, if he isn't allow to keep the review samples, it's not really a thorough review is it? While this (and I am giving Linus the benefit of a doubt here, because we all know he'd like to keep all that free shit forever, who wouldn't) may be a policy of the companies that send out the samples, it raises some issues. If he doesn't get to keep it, then he isn't getting the full ownership experience, which is something a good review should attempt to convey, thus he isn't able to convey the full ownership experience. Also, what are these companies doing with the samples they take back? it's a used product, and with their profit margins it's not like giving out a few free samples and not getting them back is really going to hurt them (or even be noticable for most of them for that matter). Granted, all of this is probably up to the companies, and I can understand Linus probably can't do anything about these (in my opinion stupid) policies.

Which is why it's important to do your own research, read actual owner reviews, watch reviews from professionals like Linus, take everything with a grain of salt, and make the decision you think is best.

@morefreestuffforLinus

Well, if he isn't allow to keep the review samples, it's not really a thorough review is it? While this (and I am giving Linus the benefit of a doubt here, because we all know he'd like to keep all that free shit forever, who wouldn't) may be a policy of the companies that send out the samples, it raises some issues. If he doesn't get to keep it, then he isn't getting the full ownership experience, which is something a good review should attempt to convey, thus he isn't able to convey the full ownership experience. Also, what are these companies doing with the samples they take back? it's a used product, and with their profit margins it's not like giving out a few free samples and not getting them back is really going to hurt them (or even be noticable for most of them for that matter). Granted, all of this is probably up to the companies, and I can understand Linus probably can't do anything about these (in my opinion stupid) policies.

Which is why it's important to do your own research, read actual owner reviews, watch reviews from professionals like Linus, take everything with a grain of salt, and make the decision you think is best.

@morefreestuffforLinus

Just about every company in the world that ships products out to be reviewed will require review samples to be sent back. Especially for more expensive items. It does not make it an invalid review. Every product should work the same on it's last day as it did on it's first day. If you want information on reliability and failure rates, take 2 minutes to look at customer reviews. Just think for one second about how much stuff gets sent to LTT and other companies to review. How in the world can you expect them to be able to be using all those products on an on going basis??? A lot of the stuff you see in the LTT store are review samples that he didn't have to send back but that he has no use for.

As to what the companies do with review samples that get sent back, they send them out to other review companies. Once they are done with them as far as sending them out for reviews, they will often make the items available for sale to their employees. I have a friend who does non-public review work, strict NDA stuff where he can't even say who he works for, but I am fairly sure its Google. He's bought several items for himself from those samples and has been allowed to keep some other ones. He even sent me the Razer Carcharias headset that I am currently using. It was a sample he was allowed to keep but didn't want. He has like 5 different headsets, all from reviews he's done.

Edit:

Found info on how it works having him build a computer for you. First you have to send him $125 via PayPal before he will even speak with you. After you go through the process of him dictating to you what parts you should use, you buy all the parts yourself and have them shipped to him. If you allow him to film the building of your computer he will ship it to you at no additional cost. If you don't allow him to film it you will have to pay the actual cost of shipping.

If it's damaged in transit he says the shipping is insured and you would have to file a claim. But that's impossible since only the shipper can file a claim, not the recipient. He also offers no tech or warranty support. If something happens down the road, you go through the normal RMA process. If you don't know how do any of the physical work yourself he expects you to hire someone locally to do it for you.

Yeah he's not charging a high premium, but there are much better solutions out there. Not linking the video for it because I don't want to give him any more views.

Just about every company in the world that ships products out to be reviewed will require review samples to be sent back. Especially for more expensive items. It does not make it an invalid review. Every product should work the same on it's last day as it did on it's first day. If you want information on reliability and failure rates, take 2 minutes to look at customer reviews. Just think for one second about how much stuff gets sent to LTT and other companies to review. How in the world can you expect them to be able to be using all those products on an on going basis??? A lot of the stuff you see in the LTT store are review samples that he didn't have to send back but that he has no use for.

As to what the companies do with review samples that get sent back, they send them out to other review companies. Once they are done with them as far as sending them out for reviews, they will often make the items available for sale to their employees. I have a friend who does non-public review work, strict NDA stuff where he can't even say who he works for, but I am fairly sure its Google. He's bought several items for himself from those samples and has been allowed to keep some other ones. He even sent me the Razer Carcharias headset that I am currently using. It was a sample he was allowed to keep but didn't want. He has like 5 different headsets, all from reviews he's done.

Granted they can't use them all, but if they send 1 sample from reviewer to reviewer that seems less than legit because each reviewer is getting a used item then. Not holding this against LTT at all btw because it's entirely out of their control. Seems like the Tech company is just being lazy/greedy if they can't bother to send out free samples (it's not really free if they take it back). It just seems unecessary to me, that's like sending out some new snacks, asking the reviewer to taste it, and then spit it back out and mail it back in (makes as much sense). Although I disagree, not all products are the same day 1 through day 32894728365289487349824, a good product is, but not all. Also granted there's too many products coming out all the time for it to be pheasible and sensible to do a follow up review on everything.

To be brutally honest, the reason I joined this forum and have been getting so into the recent LTT vids is the fact that I wanted to do some form of reviews myself. Just on Items that I have aquired over time and also a friend who updates his PC often said if it's workable, he'd be happy to send me the product first for an unboxing etc etc etc anyway. Point is, I've always enjoyed LTT vids but to get the enthusiasm worked up to make my own, comes from watching, what I see as open and honest reviews from the team here. There are other YT chans that are getting me keen, but they aren't in mention here. But when I watched this Carey guy, I almost got somewhat tense.. I can't really explain it, but he came across as one of those "hostile" sorts of people. These are the sort of reviews and opinions that originally stopped me 3 or 4 years ago attempting to do the same thing. The way they will happily openly "Attack" others. Not leave just an 'opinion' but make sure there is some form of wound when walking away. That's just not needed. Make a joke, make light of something but when you have a stab understand that by personally attacking other Youtubers, you aren't helping towards the greater community for tech. You'll just make us all look like a bunch of angry nerds :/. Much like it was from what I remember using the internet and mIRC in 1997 for the first time. I was a... Cesspit :P

If people got off their high horses, more people like myself would be willing to get involved. People that literally have bugger all knowledge of what they are doing, but getting the enthusiasm to just do it. That time is now. I've done two computer builds now, both very dodgy, but the computers worked. If it wasn't for great YT chans like LTT, I never would have attempted it.

So LTT Team. I take my hat off to you and not piss in it! Thank you for giving me the enjoyment of creating something myself and not buying a ready to go setup! Thank you for giving me the insight into products I never would have looked into, but keeping me drawn enough into the video to watch the WHOLE THING!

bill-murray-awesome.jpg?w=500

TBH, from what I read from both Linus and Slick, you guys don't really have that much to say against it in way of needing to fight or fend for yourselves. There is nothing there to need to fend for. As you said, you'll happily rip into a company who does indeed have a big input into what you guys do. I'd be one to think that Carey would be more the type to make sure he doesn't mess up a review to get a bad name for himself, which he is now getting. Either that... Or he's just a MASSIVE troll and simply wants any form of attention he can get. But as I'm new here I get a good look from the outside, and I do see that people here speak their minds which is great, so he WILL be getting the attention, but keep it here (maybe a thumbs down on the yt vids), not on his videos or services. Give him the views of the video but not the cred of comments :D

Take it easy!

- Bats

I'm from Frankston. That should explain a bit to a few ;)

-snip

bill-murray-awesome.jpg?w=500

-snip

Agreed. Linus does a great job regardless, and he's entertaining to watch as well.

I don't know if he cares enough to bother, but @LinusTech could almost argue a case of libel against this guy. LTT people are obviously defending Linus in the comments, myself included, but Carey keeps responding by saying that Linus never gives a bad review and only says what the companies want. Because if he didn't he wouldn't actually have a successful business. Anyone that watches Linus's videos knows thats not true, so Carey is other wilfully ignorant or he's lying. If he's lying that makes it libel because he's making false accusations against Linus and his company.

I regret the fact that I contributed to his views because of all of this.

Edit:

Ugh, skipped ahead in the part 3 video for the HP series and he's going on and on bashing Newegg and every reviewer in existence. He's the only person on the planet that is honest and objective, and that's why no companies will do business with him. Starts around the 30 minute mark.

The tech reviewer industry should be a bit like the car reviewer industry. You get your lets say 2 weeks to have a review, then on the other side, you have a 6 month to 1 year long term review.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

But when I watched this Carey guy, I almost got somewhat tense.. I can't really explain it, but he came across as one of those "hostile" sorts of people.

I work with a lot of different people in a very social science setting (education) what you are describing and what I see is very very similar to the personality type that stems from an insecurity that is being over compensated for with self assured authority.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

if it wasn't for carey, i would not have been able to build my rig

Corsair C70 Black Windowed | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB 1866Mhz | SLI GTX 780 Classified | Corsair AX860 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 2x2TB WD Green

Corsair 350D Windowed | Asus Gryphon Z87 | i5 4670k | Corsair H75 | Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4GB 1600Mhz | Corsair RM550 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 4TB WD Green.

Bitfenix Phenom ITX White | Asus Z97i-Plus | Pentium G3258 | Noctua NH-L9i | Kingston HyperX Fury White 2x4GB 1866Mhz | Silverstone Strider 550 | Crucial M.2 120GB SSD | 4x5TB WD Red. (work in progress)

The tech reviewer industry should be a bit like the car reviewer industry. You get your lets say 2 weeks to have a review, then on the other side, you have a 6 month to 1 year long term review.

But again, Linus doesn't have any way to do those long term reviews with all the products he is sent to review. For the stuff he does keep, and does use, he does talk about those things as time goes on. But, again, he's not in the business so he can work for free, and companies aren't going to pay him to review a product twice.

Edited to clarify**

I watched the video, and the context suggests he was talking about newegg tv, than LTT for a moment, and then finally making a general statement about a lot of videos not being actual reviews, in response to people saying his videos are not like others'.

He is 100% correct about LTT making product overviews. I watch LTT when I want the quick and dirty impression. LTT is not pcper, or johnnyguru, or hardware secrets. they don't take apart power supplies to tell you what the components are, or discuss memory controllers in SSD's. Why anyone is taking offense to this guys comments about newegg, or LTT is a head scratcher. the guy is right about Ltt not really being full fledged reviewers, even if hes telling you why you should watch his video, which is always a no-no, irregardless of how he goes about it.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

The amount of times I've heard Linus flat out say "What the **** (insert company here)" when they do something stupid with a product tells me that Linus does actually care about the products that he is reviewing.

Also, he takes like two weeks to actually use and review phones/monitors/keyboards/mice, anything that needs actual time to review, rather than just giving a first impression.

He knows his shit.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I watched the video, and the context suggests he was talking about newegg tv, than LTT for a moment, and then finally making a general statement about a lot of videos not being actual reviews, in response to people saying his videos are not like others'.

He is 100% correct about LTT making product overviews. I watch LTT when I want the quick and dirty impression. LTT is not pcper, or johnnyguru, or hardware secrets. they don't take apart power supplies to tell you what the components are, or discuss memory controllers in SSD's. Why anyone is taking offense to this guys comments about newegg, or LTT is a head scratcher. the guy is right, even if hes telling you why you should watch his video, which is always a no-no, irregardless of how he goes about it.

It's 100% unprofessional to talk bad about other people in the same industry unless your outing them for scamming and or fraud. I watched a bit of the video, this guy is 100% asshole, take it from me, I'm an asshole and we recognise our own.

I bet you, before this less than a quarter of you knew who this Corey Holzman was.......i am included in that quarter  :lol:  

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I bet you, before this less than a quarter of you knew who this Corey Holzman was.......i am included in that quarter  :lol:  

I've seen about 5 minutes of 2 of his video's that have slinked their way onto this forum, have no intention or desire to watch anything else he does.

It's 100% unprofessional to talk bad about other people in the same industry unless your outing them for scamming and or fraud. I watched a bit of the video, this guy is 100% asshole, take it from me, I'm an asshole and we recognise our own.

For sure. His big mistake was responding to his audiences' question about Newegg and ltt in a "professional" build-a-pc video, instead of in chat/twitter/wherever the question was asked.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

If people said that Linus and other tech channel (non retail) are always positive and have sponsorship bla bla bla, In my Opinion it's true but not fully true.

From one side yes linus does have sponsorship, getting financial things from company, get sample, get other stuff (perks, free stuff, giveaways,etc) . But does he always says positive things about product he reviews? NO. Many video in LTT channel where linus went "WTF" or "what the hell are _____[company name] thinking while designing produt" or "you shouldn't buy this product" and many other bad feedback to many products.

well...

not much else to say.

Not everything this guy said is true and not everyhting he said is wrong.

it depends on how you see it.

if you see this "discussion" (more of a debate i think) from one side, well you'll just see it from one side either linus's or this guy's side.

But I think if we just try to see this matter from all sides. then we can find what's true and wrong.

Let's not see this discussion from one view.

Don't get me wrong, In some ways i realized things from this guy's video. both in positive ways and negative ways.

^this is all written based on my opinion^

*pardon my bad writting.

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

He's a bit behind, since Linus went indie he's never been paid to do his reviews in a certain way, he just takes sponsors from other companies that have nothing to do with the product so he can be as fair as possible.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Those "down the road" reviews DO happen - Thats what GPU roundups are and gaming benchmarks, you get to see how a wide range of cards... new and "not as new" perform

Slick has SPOKEN!  

Jokes

I got sent to prison after following Linus' instructions to #Makebombs

Forum's resident nihilist.

A JRPG just wouldn't be a JRPG if it didn't end with teenagers using the power of friendship to kill God.

What people don't understand about Carey is he builds hundreds of PC's a year not all of them he puts up on his YT channel so he has so much first hand experience with all these parts. When Linus reviews something like a motherboard he tells you all these things that the manufacturer claims about the board and he's tests it briefly. But Carey uses these parts multiple times and his customers will tell him if something goes wrong over a period of time. So these are over time first hand experiences.