Carey Holzman says some stuff about LTT.

TheSLSAMG

Carey is factually wrong on this.  Every video that Linus has gotten sponsored for has been clearly labeled.  I've watched Linus for a long time and I have never known him to be obtuse regarding which videos are sponsored.  Carey should really watch some of his newer content if he really thinks Linus's opinions are bought by companies.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Carey is wrong on this one. There's two stages that lead up to Linus reviewing a product.

First, he has to believe it's worth his time otherwise he won't consider it; he's stated this multiple times and no amount of money from the manufacturer changes this.

Second, if he believes it's worth his time but doesn't like the product for whatever reason, he has no issue with giving a negative review.

Newegg are not in a position to be doing this because it's plain stupid as they sell the products they review, and they'd simply be hurting themselves. 

EDIT: Linus is paid, but he hardly ever kisses the product's ass the entire video.

This is partially incorrect.  Linus has received payment from companies in the past but he has always disclosed this as part of a pre-roll.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

2-3 weeks to film? He needs some lessons from JayzTwoCents...

I think he needs lessons from LMG. There build guides are filmed in less then a day.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

think he needs lessons from LMG. There build guides are filmed in less then a day.

He doesn't need lessons from anyone, the guy has said before he barely gets an hour or two a day to film. He has his own business that takes up most of his time.

Carry on hating the guy just because he decided to call out Linus, though.

He doesn't need lessons from anyone, the guy has said before he barely gets an hour or two a day to film. He has his own business that takes up most of his time.

Right, didn't think about that first part.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

You can't say "these parts don't make sense" if you don't know what the intended use is. Workstation, office PC, what's the difference? I use a "workstation PC" at my work for AutoCAD, which could also be considered an "office PC" because it's used in an office. Usually for work place PC's you don't want large capacity local storage because employees shouldn't be storing data locally. They should be working from and storing it on the network where it can be backed up. So I don't know why you're saying "these parts don't make sense for an office PC" when you don't know what that PC is going to be used for.  

I know what the intended use is because I watched the videos. It was a 3 part series concerning the HP 110-210 Desktop PC. A low end, not good for anything but checking email or light office work, off the shelf, PC. He spent the first video bashing everything about the computer and HP in general. He then made two additional videos of build guides to show what he would do instead at two different price points. He incorrectly uses the term "workstation", which to anyone who knows something about computers, like he claims to, knows that the term "workstation" is associated with resource heavy programs and not light office work. AutoCad, rendering, sound mixing/editing, and all the things like that.

The parts he used are not valid for either use though. Too expensive, pointless and high end for light office work, but not nearly good enough for a workstation. An i5, which no office PC needs, but is not enough to run an actual workstation, and a 250GB SSD, a complete waste for an office PC, but no where near enough storage for a workstation. Which would need some type of large capacity HDD storage to go with that SSD. 

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBMuU4vFbw0

Go to 7:25. This way, no one's side is misinterpreted. What do you think?

I disagree with him. Linus has gotten to the point where he openly gives his overly critical opinion on every item. Sometimes he bashes them say fractal and hard foam. Other times I hear "it's not for me". He also has talked about he warns manufactures that he will destroy items that are poorly designed. Look at the gigabyte itx pc. It did horrible due to throttling.

I think he needs lessons from LMG. There build guides are filmed in less then a day.

I don't know the guy from a bar of soap, but Jay from JayzTwoCents filmed, edited and uploaded a review in 3 hours and he works a 9-5 job. Not saying it was the same as he was doing a build log and not a product review. i'm sure there is some sway made when money changes hands, I dont really have an opinion on that but 2-3 weeks to film a build guide I think is exaggerated. 

I know what the intended use is because I watched the videos. It was a 3 part series concerning the HP 110-210 Desktop PC. A low end, not good for anything but checking email or light office work, off the shelf, PC. He spent the first video bashing everything about the computer and HP in general. He then made two additional videos of build guides to show what he would do instead at two different price points. He incorrectly uses the term "workstation", which to anyone who knows something about computers, like he claims to, knows that the term "workstation" is associated with resource heavy programs and not light office work. AutoCad, rendering, sound mixing/editing, and all the things like that.

The parts he used are not valid for either use though. Too expensive, pointless and high end for light office work, but not nearly good enough for a workstation. An i5, which no office PC needs, but is not enough to run an actual workstation, and a 250GB SSD, a complete waste for an office PC, but no where near enough storage for a workstation. Which would need some type of large capacity HDD storage to go with that SSD. 

He over-built that PC for a reason. It's going to be used in an office environment. It's intended use may change and having that flexibility to use it for a wide range of functions (email, AutoCAD, rendering, editing, and anything else) rather than just light office work, is the difference between having an incapable machine (if you went with lower specs), having to purchase another PC with higher specs or just simply being able to re-purpose this machine. It's meant to be an all-rounder, able to do anything they need it to, regardless of the task, with adequate performance.

My job requires fairly resource-heavy tasks and I'm currently using a Core 2 Duo machine. While it is slow, an i7 is certainly not necessary either. An i5 would be plenty powerful enough (WAY better than any low-end CPU) for most heavy workstation tasks and, again, large amounts of local storage (storage on the PC) is not necessary because all work is performed on files located on the office network - as most offices are setup and should be setup. The only things that need to be stored locally is the OS and programs themselves (Windows, MS office, AutoCAD, etc.). In that type of environment, which is what Carey was referring to, you don't need large amounts of local storage. He left the option of storage open to the end user to decide. If they want more local storage, it's easy enough to add. Personally I would have gone with a 120GB SSD instead of 256 and if I wanted more, would just simply add an HDD of appropriate capacity.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I'm not going to pretend to know how Linus' type of business works, whatnot with how he gets products to review and how he gets money. But I know he gets paid for somethings, and has been sponsored by many of the same companies he reviews products for, and I don't think I have seen many completely positive reviews from Linus or Slick. What I love about them (aside from their humor/quirkiness) is that they are always (to my knowledge) honest in anything they have ever told us, in a review or speaking directly to us in the forums. I love that about them both, and hope they continue to do what they (I hope) love to do for as long as they can. IMO, most of this debate here is childish, and has brought upon some unneeded worrying for Linus and his team. I don't fault the OP though, discussion and debate is (for the most part) good for everyone, but I am disappointed in some of the responses I've seen in this thread.

i7-4770k @3.5GHz | 2 EVGA gtx 780 SC ACX in SLI | AsRock Xtreme4 z87 | Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 | Corsiar HX-850 | NZXT Phantom 410 |                                                                                                                                                   CoolerMaster Siedon 120XL AIO Water Cooler | X-Star 1440p 27"

Just throwing a little bit of clarification in here...

Some of Carey's interpretation of the way our business operates may come from the perspective of a smaller reviewer. 

Once you reach a certain scale unless you're bashing the product in a way that is factually inaccurate, you're not going to get cut off from the review sample list just for giving an honest review - at least not by a company with any integrity.

Perfect example: I WRECKED the BRIX with the GTX 760 yet Gigabyte was the first to send me my NDA and confirm samples for an important upcoming launch. There's no hard feelings, and we'll continue to work together. Gigabyte is also doing their first sponsorship/advertising ever with us. Negative reviews and sponsorships cannot affect the way we work with companies and vice versa because otherwise we'd have no credibility and then we'd be no good to them anyway. They understand that. And the ones that don't, we simply won't work with. We've got 100 other things to do.

I reckon he could with some humility lessons.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Some of Carey's interpretation of the way our business operates may come from the perspective of a smaller reviewer. 

Once you reach a certain scale unless you're bashing the product in a way that is factually inaccurate, you're not going to get cut off from the review sample list just for giving an honest review - at least not by a company with any integrity.

Perfect example: I WRECKED the BRIX with the GTX 760 yet Gigabyte was the first to send me my NDA and confirm samples for an important upcoming launch. There's no hard feelings, and we'll continue to work together. Gigabyte is also doing their first sponsorship/advertising ever with us. Negative reviews and sponsorships cannot affect the way we work with companies and vice versa because otherwise we'd have no credibility and then we'd be no good to them anyway. They understand that. And the ones that don't, we simply won't work with. We've got 100 other things to do.

Most companies know if a reviewer ignores flaws and just praise when product hits market, people who buy said product will get frustrated and take to the internet and could start bashing Company and reviewers. Which would not do anyone any good. If reviewer is honest and points out short comings, the customer is walking in purchasing product knowing these facts a head of time and will less likely or not at all take to the internet to complain..

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

Most companies know if a reviewer ignores flaws and just praise when product hits market, people who buy said product will get frustrated and take to the internet and could start bashing Company and reviewers. Which would not do anyone any good. If reviewer is honest and points out short comings, the customer is walking in purchasing product knowing these facts a head of time and will less likely or not at all take to the internet to complain..

This is why we need honest reviewers!

And? I have a 9-5 (More like 7-3) job, I study ~6 hours a day for my MCAT, then in the evenings go do a photoshoot and my turnaround time is a few days at most, if not the very same bloody night. If you're committed to your business (or hobby) you will always find a way to get in the proper amount of time. 

This guy just seems upset that he's a has been who didn't get his moment, and people like Linus are getting their moments. 

Linus runs a business. Of course he gets money for reviews and has standing contracts and sponsorships. Is this a shocker to anyone who knows how businesses work? Linus has a family and employees to provide for and a business to expand, this is the name of the game. 

Carey just comes across as full of himself and cocky since he thinks he knows everything. Not the kind of person I care to be in business with. And his business model is hilariously broken and problematic and downright shady even, he can make 90 minute videos about reviewing a HP desktop all he wants, why should we tell him thats now how you grow your userbase? 

Maybe his trolling worked. He got some more much needed views and he tried (and failed) to make LMG, @LinusTech and @Slick look bad. Live and die by that sword. You can't make such baseless accusations against people and not expect to be called out in return. 

But there is the difference, isn't it? LMG keeps making videos and doing reviews/overviews/build guides and they don't meddle in the affairs of other channels. Other people (like Carey) spend time trying to insult people like Linus. Its always the insecure ones that boast the loudest, the genuinely good ones who know what they are doing keep on working and they ignore fluff like that. 

I think this has been hugely overblown, this guy has a very quiet voice in the industry and if he makes comments such as these, the only way they will be heard by many people is if they are echoed as they have been here.

Linus said he's talked to him about it and even he thinks it's been overdiscussed at this point, the man is entitled to his opinion and given the weight his voice carries I'd personally just leave him to it uncontested.

hi linus  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

And? I have a 9-5 (More like 7-3) job, I study ~6 hours a day for my MCAT, then in the evenings go do a photoshoot and my turnaround time is a few days at most, if not the very same bloody night. If you're committed to your business (or hobby) you will always find a way to get in the proper amount of time. 

This guy just seems upset that he's a has been who didn't get his moment, and people like Linus are getting their moments. 

Linus runs a business. Of course he gets money for reviews and has standing contracts and sponsorships. Is this a shocker to anyone who knows how businesses work? Linus has a family and employees to provide for and a business to expand, this is the name of the game. 

Carey just comes across as full of himself and cocky since he thinks he knows everything. Not the kind of person I care to be in business with. And his business model is hilariously broken and problematic and downright shady even, he can make 90 minute videos about reviewing a HP desktop all he wants, why should we tell him thats now how you grow your userbase? 

Maybe his trolling worked. He got some more much needed views and he tried (and failed) to make LMG, @LinusTech and @Slick look bad. Live and die by that sword. You can't make such baseless accusations against people and not expect to be called out in return. 

But there is the difference, isn't it? LMG keeps making videos and doing reviews/overviews/build guides and they don't meddle in the affairs of other channels. Other people (like Carey) spend time trying to insult people like Linus. Its always the insecure ones that boast the loudest, the genuinely good ones who know what they are doing keep on working and they ignore fluff like that. 

But he still uploads several videos a week, why the fuck does it matter that his videos take more time than others?

Oh, he's just 'trolling' now? Boy, you're whining and hating is getting really embarrassing now. I think you need to grow up and accept that people are allowed to have criticism. Even Linus himself doesn't care, yet you're still going on and trying to offend someone with the old "h-he's just jealous!" and "h-he's just a has-been!" crap.

But he still uploads several videos a week, why the fuck does it matter that his videos take more time than others?

Because you said he doesn't have time with all his other commitments, so Victorious secret points out why that is irrelevant and now you ask why it matters? it matters because you said it did.

Oh, he's just 'trolling' now? Boy, you're whining and hating is getting really embarrassing now. I think you need to grow up and accept that people are allowed to have criticism. Even Linus himself doesn't care, yet you're still going on and trying to offend someone with the old "h-he's just jealous!" and "h-he's just a has-been!" crap.

Maybe he is trolling or maybe he genuinely believes it, but the fact still remains that  A. it isn't actually true and B. It's as plain as day that he has issues and thinks he better than everyone else. 

Most of the people in this thread are being reasonable about it and aren't just "defending" Linus blindly, they have added some critical thinking and voiced their observations. 

I think it's a fair to conclude he's a bit jealous and bitter that he's washed out and didn't get invited to hylander with the cool kids.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I think it's a fair to conclude he's a bit jealous and bitter that he's washed out and didn't get invited to hylander with the cool kids.

Carry on with that whole "how d-dare he criticise my Linus, h-he's just j-jealous! ;_;" act.

Carry on with that whole "how d-dare he criticise my Linus, h-he's just j-jealous! ;_;" act.

I don't care what he said about Linus, I have said before people will draw their own conclusions about his integrity.  However the fact you can't get past it seems to be an issue. Because it's not just Linus that he has made stupid comments about, If you watched any of his videos you know it's his personality that is an issue, not what he said about one person.

I don't care what he said about Linus, I have said before people will draw their own conclusions about his integrity.  However the fact you can't get past it seems to be an issue. Because it's not just Linus that he has made stupid comments about, If you watched any of his videos you know it's his personality that is an issue, not what he said about one person.

I do watch his videos, you haven't even attempted to give any examples of his personality being an issue, which is why I make zero attempt to take you seriously.

I do watch his videos, you haven't even attempted to give any examples of his personality being an issue, which is why I make zero attempt to take you seriously.

Oh please, I have made several references to videos of his and explained why, It's all in this thread,  Maybe you should read through this thread before putting your foot in your mouth and telling people you won't take them seriously.

Enough with this guy already the way he talks he sounds like those propagandist from so called news channels.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).