Carey Holzman says some stuff about LTT.

TheSLSAMG

The people defending Linus to the death are really showing their 'fanboy' as it were. I enjoy Linus's videos for the entertainment value, and for objective things like benchmarks, but for his general reviews he very, very rarely gives major criticisms to products. I am subscribed to him and watch almost all videos he puts out, and I can't think of any huge examples (with a couple of exceptions) where he's gone out of his way to criticise something. In fact, you actually have to point out specific examples to even prove otherwise, like some cherry picked videos being posted in this thread.

I don't even care, he can accept sponsors if he wants if he needs the money for the channel. If he often said bad things or openly criticise products commonly, they would stop sponsoring him, so of course he's not going to do it often. I think you're all getting worked up that some other big channel decided to speak up and say it how it is.

At least he doesn't call out other people on his channel

What's wrong with openly criticising a company (which Linus himself tries to brand LMG as)?

What's wrong with openly criticising a company (which Linus himself tries to brand LMG as)?

He's not only criticizing but he's sending people incorrect information.

Usually the tech community or just communities as a whole don't criticize other channels. If Linus didn't like the way Logan does something, he wouldn't broadcast his opinions on other youtubers on his channel, it's just rude.

-edit

Plus telling Linus that he gets paid off for reviews isn't constructive criticize it's just calling someone out. Constructive criticism is fine.

CPU - Intel i5 3570 - MOBO - Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI - GPU - EVGA GTX670 FTW - RAM - 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz - SSD - 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k 

HDD - 1TB Western Digital Blue - CASE - Bitfenix Prodigy White - CPU COOLER - Coolermaster Hyper 101 - PSU - Corsair TX550M 

DISPLAY - Acer H236HL IPS - KEYBOARD - Coolermaster Quickfire TK (Reds) - MOUSE - Logitech G600 - HEADSET - Steelseries Sibera V2 - SPEAKERS - Corsair SP2500

But he isn't.

But he is. Linus doesn't get paid off to review products in a positive manner.

If he doesn't like a product he says he doesn't and he's said many times that he won't let other people give him money for him to say it's a good product when it isn't.

CPU - Intel i5 3570 - MOBO - Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI - GPU - EVGA GTX670 FTW - RAM - 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz - SSD - 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k 

HDD - 1TB Western Digital Blue - CASE - Bitfenix Prodigy White - CPU COOLER - Coolermaster Hyper 101 - PSU - Corsair TX550M 

DISPLAY - Acer H236HL IPS - KEYBOARD - Coolermaster Quickfire TK (Reds) - MOUSE - Logitech G600 - HEADSET - Steelseries Sibera V2 - SPEAKERS - Corsair SP2500

Pretty disappointed in a lot of the comments in here. I'm open about what goes on over here, and I really thought you guys knew, appreciated and respected that.

When I say I don't get paid for something, it means I didn't get paid for it. I like SHIELD because I like it. NVIDIA hasn't done a single sponsorship with us since the very beginning and it was very small. I've done more business with AMD than NVIDIA... several times more.

He's also clearly stated in several videos that he doesn't get paid off to give positive reviews. 

I am subscribed to him and watch almost all videos he puts out, and I can't think of any huge examples (with a couple of exceptions) where he's gone out of his way to criticise something. In fact, you actually have to point out specific examples to even prove otherwise, like some cherry picked videos being posted in this thread.

In every video he does, he points out the flaws in things. He doesn't JUST give the positive points about a product and at the end of his videos he tells you if he'd recommend the product or not. 

Also, why would he make tons of videos criticizing things? He has made a few videos where he just flat out calls a product bad but of course they are cherry picked. Why would someone constantly review bad products? It would make no sense

The people defending Linus to the death are really showing their 'fanboy' as it were

I've always been into computers and technology, but @LinusTech assisted me with reaching a whole new level of interest, and because of this I easily consider myself an enthusiast (even though I don't have a 2011 cpu :P) now. If not for discovering NCIX Tech Tips, I may have never discovered Linus and thus never become as passionate as I am now, so I owe a big part of it to him. I may have still been a console pleb too...who knows...while I did game on pc at a young age, console personally became the main platform for the longest time.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

That is true, he (most of the time) doesnt buy his hardware. Yes he does say that if he hates a product he will say it. But its easier to be lenient with it when you not paying the 2k for a laptop.

I am a happy wuffy

I think anybody who takes any of these youtube reviewers too seriously is a fool.

I watch these videos for the entertainment value more than anything and to learn about new products. I wouldn't run out and buy anything purely because of one youtube video. 

of course linus and all the other "big" reviewers are shills. they make entertaining infomercials and I appreciate them for doing so.

Carey was the first Youtuber I started watching for computer videos late 2013 (little me was still a peasant :3), and he's partly the reason I got such an interest in computers and built one myself. I recall him saying multiple times during his "how to builds" that the stock cooler is all you need. While that may be true for some builds, I highly disagree for most builds.

I do have to disagree with what he said though, with LTT in particular. For Newegg, that is completely true. During their "product overviews" (as Carey referred to them as), they just go over the product. They don't give you any of their two cents on the part, they just take a sweep over it. For LTT, I see Linus pointing out negative things all the time. He does receive a reviewer's guide from what I can see, though. He isn't always "truthful." However, other than LTT, Carey is right. He (apparently) runs his own business, and isn't paid by some companies to include and/or showcase their product in his videos. Carey has given out many useful tips during his builds which I have found useful during my own builds.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

People are actually saying that Carey is bias while Linus isn't?

The denial in here is embarassing.

What the hell is "payed for the review" supposed to mean?

Of course they're damn payed for the reviews! The manufacturer usually sends the product to the reviewer, in this case, LTT, for them to make a review, for people to give an idea about whether the product is good or not, and the manufacturers can also see what they can improve. I don't think that Carey with his channel (never heard about him, so I can't say that I like him or don't like him) didn't say anything stupid or bad, but I also don't think that he knows the guys at LTT and he can know everything about every review that they do.

Just calm down.

Also :D :

You know what it means, it means that he gets paid to possitively review a product, regardless of his real opinion.

So Linus didn't comment negatively on the stand of the 

?

You know the quote I have in my signature.

To make himself not seem like a complete shill, I'd assume he would have to include some sort of con in the review.

Says who? Linus?

This is what's bothering me about this whole thread. People are saying that Linus doesn't get paid to positively review a product or that he isn't biased. Their source? Linus himself. I find his videos entertaining and I'll keep watching them but I'm skeptical to their legitimacy. He just seems like a shill most of the time, a lot of the time when he compliments or recommends a product, it just feels fake and forced.

This is what's bothering me about this whole thread. People are saying that Linus doesn't get paid to positively review a product or that he isn't biased. Their source? Linus himself. I find his videos entertaining and I'll keep watching them but I'm skeptical to their legitimacy. He just seems like a shill most of the time, a lot of the time when he compliments or recommends a product, it just feels fake and forced.

What exactly is your qualification to say otherwise? You've been a member of these forums for all of 30 minutes, and have only posted in this thread to bash Linus and defend Carey. There are numerous examples posted in this thread were Linus speaks negatively about the products he reviews. That's how we know he's not just some paid shill like you claim. If you actually took the time to watch his videos, you would know that.

Yes sponsors fund his business, yet that's not the point Carey made. Carey claimed that people like Linus are not allowed to say bad things, because if they did, the companies would stop sending them products to review. That is a complete lie on Carey's part. He's just a jealous hack that wants to be like Linus. Carey is actively seeking the EXACT same funding and partnerships that Linus has. Take two seconds to look at his ChannelPages advertisement. Here is a list of everything that Carey is offering in exchange for sponsorship.

Brand/product integration into channel's videos
Product reviews
Dedicated videos for a brand
Revenue share/affiliate deals (usually no upfront fee)
Spokesperson
Off-YouTube promotion (channel's website, social media, email list)
Including brand videos in a playlist
Open to other types of sponsorships

That list right there is exactly what Linus does with LTT and Linus Media Group. Carey claims that the reason why he doesn't have those sponsors, yet, is because he actually tells the truth. When in reality he doesn't have those sponsors because his ego is so massive that it prevents him from being capable of honest discussion. He acts as if his opinion is the only one that matters in the entire world, and if you disagree with him, that just means you are not as smart or as talented as he is.

There are a lot of products and companies that Linus doesn't like, but even though he will talk negatively about those products or companies, they still send him review samples because he doesn't prejudge them and will take the time to use the product for a few weeks before giving his opinion on it.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Meh it's a different approach, it doesn't make it any less valid. The guy's not wrong though.

Meh it's a different approach, it doesn't make it any less valid. The guy's not wrong though.

Yes he is, and we've proven he is multiple times. Linus does talk negatively about the products he reviews. Carey claimed he never does and that he's not allowed to. Carey is a liar.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

What exactly is your qualification to say otherwise? You've been a member of these forums for all of 30 minutes, and have only posted in this thread to bash Linus and defend Carey. There are numerous examples posted in this thread were Linus speaks negatively about the products he reviews. That's how we know he's not just some paid shill like you claim. If you actually took the time to watch his videos, you would know that.

Yes sponsors fund his business, yet that's not the point Carey made. Carey claimed that people like Linus are not allowed to say bad things, because if they did, the companies would stop sending them products to review. That is a complete lie on Carey's part. He's just a jealous hack that wants to be like Linus. Carey is actively seeking the EXACT same funding and partnerships that Linus has. Take two seconds to look at his ChannelPages advertisement. Here is a list of everything that Carey is offering in exchange for sponsorship.

Brand/product integration into channel's videos
Product reviews
Dedicated videos for a brand
Revenue share/affiliate deals (usually no upfront fee)
Spokesperson
Off-YouTube promotion (channel's website, social media, email list)
Including brand videos in a playlist
Open to other types of sponsorships

That list right there is exactly what Linus does with LTT and Linus Media Group. Carey claims that the reason why he doesn't have those sponsors, yet, is because he actually tells the truth. When in reality he doesn't have those sponsors because his ego is so massive that it prevents him from being capable of honest discussion. He acts as if his opinion is the only one that matters in the entire world, and if you disagree with him, that just means you are not as smart or as talented as he is.

There are a lot of products and companies that Linus doesn't like, but even though he will talk negatively about those products or companies, they still send him review samples because he doesn't prejudge them and will take the time to use the product for a few weeks before giving his opinion on it.

My qualification is that I've been watching Linus's videos for a couple years now. I can tell you that he sounds like a paid advertiser in a lot of his videos, and that's just my opinon, and I'm sticking to it. I'm not saying he *does* get paid to do possitive reviews, I'm just saying that he gives that shill vibe. And like I said, you would have to give negative reviews also if you don't want to make your shilling obvious. You also might want to read my comments again if you think I'm "defending Carey". There's a lot I don't like about either of them.

Oh no, here we go again.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

My qualification is that I've been watching Linus's videos for a couple years now. I can tell you that he sounds like a paid advertiser in a lot of his videos, and that's just my opinon, and I'm sticking to it. I'm not saying he *does* get paid to do possitive reviews, I'm just saying that he gives that shill vibe. And like I said, you would have to give negative reviews also if you don't want to make your shilling obvious. You also might want to read my comments again if you think I'm "defending Carey". There's a lot I don't like about either of them.

LoL, you can't have it both ways. Either he's a shill and doesn't speak negatively about products, or he's not a shill and does speak negatively about products. Its beyond absurd that he supposedly says negative things just to trick people into thinking he's not a "shil".

Carey lied, you are defending his lies. No way you have been watching Linus's videos for years if you think he's dishonest about his opinions.

A thread I created is slowly giving me *insert terminal disease here* from a bunch of fanboys. There are a few people who actually know what they are talking about, but not a lot.

@jmaster299, I agree.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)