Carey Holzman says some stuff about LTT.

TheSLSAMG

I don't get it either as I personally would have no use for one, but Linus did say he does the majority of his gaming in bed with his Shield, so that's probably why he loves it so much.

See that seems realistic since he is doing so much with his channels/work and now baby..Bet that is the only real game time he gets..

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

I was typing fast...

No you weren't. There is no way you can type defiantly instead of definitely because of the keyboard layout. ;)

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Pretty disappointed in a lot of the comments in here. I'm open about what goes on over here, and I really thought you guys knew, appreciated and respected that.

When I say I don't get paid for something, it means I didn't get paid for it. I like SHIELD because I like it. NVIDIA hasn't done a single sponsorship with us since the very beginning and it was very small. I've done more business with AMD than NVIDIA... several times more.

As for Corsair, if I don't like it, I'll say something. You think they paid for me to call their product "corporate"? They're a gaming company: 

Unreal.

Pretty disappointed in a lot of the comments in here. I'm open about what goes on over here, and I really thought you guys knew, appreciated and respected that.

When I say I don't get paid for something, it means I didn't get paid for it. I like SHIELD because I like it. NVIDIA hasn't done a single sponsorship with us since the very beginning and it was very small. I've done more business with AMD than NVIDIA... several times more.

As for Corsair, if I don't like it, I'll say something. You think they paid for me to call their product "corporate"? They're a gaming company: 

Unreal.

THE DISRESPECT IS OUT OF CONTROL!

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

Unreal.

Oh get to bed you have a baby now!

Unreal.

Its crap you have to deal with this stuff when you should be tending to your wife. People just need to be mature or leave the forums.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

Unreal.

this may be unrelated, but congratulations on your new daughter :)

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

I've said it before in comments about his other videos, that guy is a self important try hard wanker. I don't care what he thinks because he rarely makes a fair appraisal.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't think my comment was amongst those that offended mister techtips. My simple viewpoint was that it sounded like he implied Linus only gives glowing reviews on sponsors and knows nothing otherwise and that bothered me since Linus stated several times that even if he reviews a sponsored product, he isn't going to ignore the flaws. Same goes for not taking sponsorship from people he feels won't benefit the community in some way. (as herp as dollar shave club is, it's pretty useful for male members)

I can see sort of what he means. The stuff over on NCIX's channel isn't necessarilly sponsered, but since they're making money off of what they sell, they probably won't want to complain. Same with Newegg TV.

Stores don't want to say bad things about products because they people will second guess purchases.

That's my thoughts on it any way.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I can see sort of what he means. The stuff over on NCIX's channel isn't necessarilly sponsered, but since they're making money off of what they sell, they probably won't want to complain. Same with Newegg TV.

Stores don't want to say bad things about products because they people will second guess purchases.

That's my thoughts on it any way.

Cool thoughts, but NCIX doesn't pay for nor are they involved in anything that goes on the Linus Tech Tips channel unless you see "sponsored by NCIX" on it.

I've said it before in comments about his other videos, that guy is a self important try hard wanker. I don't care what he thinks because he rarely makes a fair appraisal.

Carey has my respect, but slightly less since his comment about Linus. I'm not saying he doesn't know his tech, but as far as have an awareness of how other YouTubers carry out their business....maybe not so much.

I don't want to call Carey irrelevant, but Linus has constant hands on with cutting edge computer/consumer electronics. Carey reminds me of someone who's stuck in the past regarding pc hardware. 25 years of experience is nice, but sometimes being at the forefront of new technology is more beneficial. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Cool thoughts, but NCIX doesn't pay for nor are they involved in anything that goes on the Linus Tech Tips channel unless you see "sponsored by NCIX" on it.

Carey even mentioned on live stream of his tech vets show how you are not with NCIX anymore.. So he at least knows that part.

There is a difference between being paid to do review work and being paid for a review. Linus is very, very, vocal about things he doesn't like and when he thinks something is bad. He is also very clear at making those two distinctions, for the most part, when saying something is his opinion that he doesn't like it and saying something is bad because there is an actual problem with it.

Just watch the Nvidia Shield Tablet video. He got invited to an event at Nvidia's office in California, and he trashed the item so much that they questioned him on whether or not he even wanted a sample to do a review on it. In that review he clearly points out all of it's shortcomings, but gives them credit for the things that are actually good about it too.

There isn't a professional reviewer out there that is not getting paid for their work.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Carey has my respect, but slightly less since his comment about Linus. I'm not saying he doesn't know his tech, but as far as have an awareness of how other YouTubers carry out their business....maybe not so much.

I have watched a  few other videos of his and they were full of him berating products and companies without good reason.  Some times when I watch them I get the impression he resents being in the industry for as he says "a long time" but never got his big break.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well that comment seems to have gotten his video some extra views ;) Maybe that was the plan all along. That comment was really straight up and in your face like it was thought of to be put in.. *cough* "..Unscripted, Raw.."

Take it easy!

- Bats

I'm from Frankston. That should explain a bit to a few ;)

Just got done watching the whole video, so I could form a valid opinion on it. The guy is full of himself. He spends nearly 30 minutes talking himself up. Going on and on about how he's so much better than everyone else because he has no partnership or sponsorship with any of the manufactures. But he is extremely biased about what brands he will use. He makes a huge deal about how long it takes for him to work with his customers just to pick out parts. If he's spending two hours on the phone, or weeks trading emails back and forth, I'd hate to know the premium he is charging his customers. Also, of all reasons why buying a brand name computer is not a good idea, he focuses on having to put up with someone who "can't even understand" if you have to call support.

Speaking of customers, I can't find a website or anything else related to his PC building service and prices. And for all his talk about how he's different because he's not sponsored or paid, he sure seems to be begging for sponsorship pretty hard. The About section for his channel has a web address to a ChanelPages ad where he's showing off the statistics for his videos to try and get sponsors. He claims to be different than people like Linus, but in exchange for sponsoring his videos and channel, he offers the following to potential sponsors: 

Brand/product integration into channel's videos
Product reviews
Dedicated videos for a brand
Revenue share/affiliate deals (usually no upfront fee)
Spokesperson
Off-YouTube promotion (channel's website, social media, email list)
Including brand videos in a playlist
Open to other types of sponsorships

All of that sounds exactly like what Linus does. So a TL/DR, this guy is full of it.

http://channelpages.com/CareyHolzman

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

Fractal Design : Once of our closest sponsors

Josh from Fractal Design : Publicly a friend of ours

Very recent video largely destroying their product :

Description : "Well, if you like seeing me disappointed in a product, I guess you'll enjoy this Core 3500 case review..."

BTW Linus and I collaborated on this review

ALSO

Dark Rock pro 3:

They have been a sponsor before... I called the installation experience "horrific"... Soooo yeahhhhh

Honestly guys I could come up with near endless examples for this

Pretty disappointed that this is even happening BUT at the same time I'm happy people were willing to discuss it openly on the forum!
I'm happy we talk about things like this and get over them together rather than let them drive us apart in the long run - Communication is key and I'm with you forever baby <3 :wub: ;)

Just got done watching the whole video, so I could form a valid opinion on it. The guy is full of himself. He spends nearly 30 minutes talking himself up. Going on and on about how he's so much better than everyone else because he has no partnership or sponsorship with any of the manufactures. But he is extremely biased about what brands he will use. He makes a huge deal about how long it takes for him to work with his customers just to pick out parts. If he's spending two hours on the phone, or weeks trading emails back and forth, I'd hate to know the premium he is charging his customers. Also, of all reasons why buying a brand name computer is not a good idea, he focuses on having to put up with someone who "can't even understand" if you have to call support.

Speaking of customers, I can't find a website or anything else related to his PC building service and prices. And for all his talk about how he's different because he's not sponsored or paid, he sure seems to be begging for sponsorship pretty hard. The About section for his channel has a web address to a ChanelPages ad where he's showing off the statistics for his videos to try and get sponsors. He claims to be different than people like Linus, but in exchange for sponsoring his videos and channel, he offers the following to potential sponsors: 

Brand/product integration into channel's videos
Product reviews
Dedicated videos for a brand
Revenue share/affiliate deals (usually no upfront fee)
Spokesperson
Off-YouTube promotion (channel's website, social media, email list)
Including brand videos in a playlist
Open to other types of sponsorships

All of that sounds exactly like what Linus does. So a TL/DR, this guy is full of it.

http://channelpages.com/CareyHolzman

From other videos, I do remember him mentioning he charges like like 100-150$ over cost of parts plus shipping.

He mentions his dislike for MSI in almost every video due to past experience with customer service.

This teaser video just seemed out of the norm for him with the 18min of him talking not much about anything to do with the parts or build

Sorry, didn't intend to imply NCIX was involved with LTT, more sort of speaking about older NCIX videos in which you hosted.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

From other videos, I do remember him mentioning he charges like like 100-150$ over cost of parts plus shipping.

He mentions his dislike for MSI in almost every video due to past experience with customer service.

This teaser video just seemed out of the norm for him with the 18min of him talking not much about anything to do with the parts or build

did you see his review of the HP110 210?  45min for a pc review that everyone else only takes 10 minutes to do.  Basically it's 35 minutes of shit dumping and self promotion.

But it seems like he is going out of his way to not make it obvious that he's running a business. This is just a guess, but I figure he's just working directly with people who contact him about having him build a system. It's not exactly a very open, honest or safe way of doing business. There is no sense of security if I was to buy a system from him because he's not an actual company running a real business. But since he doesn't have any sponsors yet, he has to rely on that small amount of business to pay for the hardware he talks about.

The biggest issue though is with his claim that he is different and better than other youtube tech/review channels because he's not being paid by sponsors. Yet he's obviously looking for sponsors and the things he offers those sponsors is the exact same things Linus does in his video's. He also does imply in the video that other tech/review channels, like LTT, are run by people who don't actually know anything about the products they talk about. Saying they are all just "over views" and not actual reviews of products.

did you see his review of the HP110 210?  45min for a pc review that everyone else only takes 10 minutes to do.  Basically it's 35 minutes of shit dumping and self promotion.

Never saw that one. Might have to check it out now.

But it seems like he is going out of his way to not make it obvious that he's running a business. This is just a guess, but I figure he's just working directly with people who contact him about having him build a system. It's not exactly a very open, honest or safe way of doing business. There is no sense of security if I was to buy a system from him because he's not an actual company running a real business. But since he doesn't have any sponsors yet, he has to rely on that small amount of business to pay for the hardware he talks about.

The biggest issue though is with his claim that he is different and better than other youtube tech/review channels because he's not being paid by sponsors. Yet he's obviously looking for sponsors and the things he offers those sponsors is the exact same things Linus does in his video's. He also does imply in the video that other tech/review channels, like LTT, are run by people who don't actually know anything about the products they talk about. Saying they are all just "over views" and not actual reviews of products.

What bugs me the most...If he does this for a living, why does he not have any websites, or anything that links to what his business' name is..Why does he hide that yet talk about himself up so much

I like Carey, but one thing that annoys me about him is that he thinks he is always right. Although Linus gets paid to do certain reviews, he always gives his honest opinions whether they're good or bad. To be honest I think Carey is more biased in his opinions, he only uses certain brands like Asus, Gigabyte and Corsair, he really only uses Intel and Nvidia and barely uses AMD. He tells people not to use MSI and ASrock, because out of the thousands of computers he has built he had one has a bad experience with them. Also I would really like to see Carey on the WAN show.