Because using Australia's internet wasn't bad enough...

TryArch

I don't mind personal opinions and I agree with yours in principal,  but please don't exaggerate to make your point.  There are only 23 million people in this country, more than 5 million of those are under 5 years old or over 80, I don't thing they are using the net or phones much.    And of whats left they aren't all law abiding.  Plus I don't know if you've been up north but I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't 4 million people without both a phone and internet.

To that end why must every lobby group/activist and government exaggerate and bodge up the statistics to prove their point, it's pretty bloody simple here on the ground,  My internet data is my private affair and if they want to watch it then they can get a court order. until then it should be just like the postal system and telephony where taps are illegal without warrants.

Thats part of the article, italic text is quoted text.

I think its creating more hassle and work for a small gain of security, those with the power to change things don't always use one law to fix one thing but to abuse others.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

just as I was considering moving... yeah.  I'm having second thoughts, I dont wanna move to Australia if this thing gets allowed.

Hopefully the next prime minister will be smart and want whats best for the world and the country like a prime minister should.  

two months ago, Australian GPUs were cheaper then the Same American Models :P

Mmmmmm tru dat, but NOBODY STOCKS REFERNCE COOLED GTX 770'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :angry:

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Thats part of the article, italic text is quoted text.

I think its creating more hassle and work for a small gain of security, those with the power to change things don't always use one law to fix one thing but to abuse others.

In that case, I point my previous comments toward the article you quoted. :)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Agree with you there mate. In the modern era, I think it's just about who's got the most $$$. I'm a youngen so I haven't seen my fair share of politics, but corporations just have way too much influence, skewing views, which frustrates me. I wish parties would stick to the policies they campaign on and not lie to us - pointing the stick at both the libs and labour here. I know it has always been like this (to some extent), but it's just getting so bad.

Agree with you there mate. In the modern era, I think it's just about who's got the most $$$. I'm a youngen so I haven't seen my fair share of politics, but corporations just have way too much influence, skewing views, which frustrates me. I wish parties would stick to the policies they campaign on and not lie to us - pointing the stick at both the libs and labour here. I know it has always been like this (to some extent), but it's just getting so bad.

What you are saying has been pointed out just recently by Mark Latham (ex labor leader), he was postulating on the fact that of the last few years the lies in parliament have just gotten so bad and so blazon that the people of Australia are just sick and tired.  It all started with the carbon tax then the thomson ordeal, then we had to suffer slipper and now no one has the patience to see what abbot will do, he's just getting hung regardless (which is no surprise really). 

One of the major problems I see is the 24/7 media circus,  20 years ago a politician had down time and because everything was recorded and edited then transmitted later they had time to edit out gafs and rehearse.  Nowadays it all goes out live and no one has the time to consider what they are saying, all politicians have to know about everything all the time.  It's quite the strain.

Essentially there was just as much lying years ago as there is now, it's just much harder to keep lies covered up nowadays.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

One of the major problems I see is the 24/7 media circus,  20 years ago a politician had down time and because everything was recorded and edited then transmitted later they had time to edit out gafs and rehearse.  Nowadays it all goes out live and no one has the time to consider what they are saying, all politicians have to know about everything all the time.  It's quite the strain.

Essentially there was just as much lying years ago as there is now, it's just much harder to keep lies covered up nowadays.

Well said, thanks for providing a little more background.

Do you think that as newer (and of course younger) generations of politicans flow through the ranks, that the stance on policies such as what is mentioned in the OP and FTTH will encounter more resistance from them? The reason I say this is that, people my age (mid 20s) have grown up in a world with technology, i.e. they are more mindful of it. I can't deal with ADSL, I want fibre!!! :(

Well said, thanks for providing a little more background.

Do you think that as newer (and of course younger) generations of politicans flow through the ranks, that the stance on policies such as what is mentioned in the OP and FTTH will encounter more resistance from them? The reason I say this is that, people my age (mid 20s) have grown up in a world with technology, i.e. they are more mindful of it. I can't deal with ADSL, I want fibre!!! :(

Prepare for a rant, I love my politics and watching people be people so I'll stick it in a spoiler:

Younger generations definitely are pushing for better tech infrastructure, although in parliament it's a little different.  It's very difficult to articulate what I mean here without giving someone the wrong message. 

Politicians need to balance everything, as you know running a country means making sure that not only are hospitals funded and schools properly equipped, but that companies can operate and grow which increases tax revenue from both corporate entity and from the jobs that that growth provides.  Now when it comes to things like the FTTH,  laws about corporate responsibility and liability, pay increases for nurses, etc.  the money that is required for that has to be balanced against what the government can sustain and what the economy might sustain in the future.  This is where idealism dies and cynical old man enters the arena.  It would be great to do all of them but they can't and it's sad to see bright energetic hopeful people get into the corporate or political sector and then get crushed with the weight of reality.

One day we will all get fibre (unless wireless takes over, and it just might the way tech is advancing) but it will not be overnight as labor had hoped,  I don't like being a pessimist but the NBN project was doomed from the start, and I am afraid the people who had the best chance of making it work are also the ones who are prudish with finances and less likely to want to see it built straight away rather than in more affordable sections. 

So, in short, yes, younger generation put more emphasis on technology like FTTH, however reality hasn't changed much.  A classic example of ideals hitting reality was watching Peter Garret go from environmental activist to environmental minister.    When he entered parliament I am sure his head was full of all the good things he was going to do from the power of government for the environment,  then reality kicked in and he soon realised that yes he could stop logging in the high country, But this would cause a major collapse in gippslands economy driving up the cost of milk and cheese for everyone.  He could have stopped the dredging of port Phillip, but he also knew this would cause the cost of imported goods to sky rocket as import times/cost escalated.   As much as what he wanted to do was good for the environment and arguable the morally correct thing to do, the ability to do it without it costing Australians more than they can afford (jobs, homes etc) was not an option.

I also think that the older generations of politician probably see the value in FTTH,  they are by their nature long term thinkers and quite open minded about these things, but at the end of the day they will base their decision one of two things,  they will decide on what gets them the most votes, or they will decide on the one with the least risk.  Because if there's one thing Australians hate more than not getting what they want, it's seeing their politicians take risks with their money.

Well u can blame all the dickheads that voted for libs lol country is crashing down haha

funny how non liberal the "liberal" parties usually are. You'd think for being the party usually supported by young "anti government" college students, they'd realize they're voting for the government rules everything party

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

funny how non liberal the "liberal" parties usually are. You'd think for being the party usually supported by young "anti government" college students, they'd realize they're voting for the government rules everything party

Australia is a little arse about with it's politics, the liberal party are right wing and the labor party are left wind conservative.   Uni students In Aust tend to have a left  leaning green persuasion (I think it's throwback of the current ideological hipster movement)  while upper income and small business tend to be more liberal/right wing in their persuasion.

Edit: Nevermind

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Prepare for a rant, I love my politics and watching people be people so I'll stick it in a spoiler:

Younger generations definitely are pushing for better tech infrastructure, although in parliament it's a little different.  It's very difficult to articulate what I mean here without giving someone the wrong message. 

Politicians need to balance everything, as you know running a country means making sure that not only are hospitals funded and schools properly equipped, but that companies can operate and grow which increases tax revenue from both corporate entity and from the jobs that that growth provides.  Now when it comes to things like the FTTH,  laws about corporate responsibility and liability, pay increases for nurses, etc.  the money that is required for that has to be balanced against what the government can sustain and what the economy might sustain in the future.  This is where idealism dies and cynical old man enters the arena.  It would be great to do all of them but they can't and it's sad to see bright energetic hopeful people get into the corporate or political sector and then get crushed with the weight of reality.

One day we will all get fibre (unless wireless takes over, and it just might the way tech is advancing) but it will not be overnight as labor had hoped,  I don't like being a pessimist but the NBN project was doomed from the start, and I am afraid the people who had the best chance of making it work are also the ones who are prudish with finances and less likely to want to see it built straight away rather than in more affordable sections. 

So, in short, yes, younger generation put more emphasis on technology like FTTH, however reality hasn't changed much.  A classic example of ideals hitting reality was watching Peter Garret go from environmental activist to environmental minister.    When he entered parliament I am sure his head was full of all the good things he was going to do from the power of government for the environment,  then reality kicked in and he soon realised that yes he could stop logging in the high country, But this would cause a major collapse in gippslands economy driving up the cost of milk and cheese for everyone.  He could have stopped the dredging of port Phillip, but he also knew this would cause the cost of imported goods to sky rocket as import times/cost escalated.   As much as what he wanted to do was good for the environment and arguable the morally correct thing to do, the ability to do it without it costing Australians more than they can afford (jobs, homes etc) was not an option.

I also think that the older generations of politician probably see the value in FTTH,  they are by their nature long term thinkers and quite open minded about these things, but at the end of the day they will base their decision one of two things,  they will decide on what gets them the most votes, or they will decide on the one with the least risk.  Because if there's one thing Australians hate more than not getting what they want, it's seeing their politicians take risks with their money.

Definitely learnt a valuable lesson about perspective from that post, thanks Moose.

I know I'm thread necroing, but I felt it is important,

Has anyone actually sent a letter to their local federal member about this?

I have, I hope I am not the only one.

I did as well :)

I got a letter back from my local member and is going to speak about my concerns with mr turnbull and he will get back to me

Its all about those volumetric clouds

If anyone didn't and they would like to but aren't to good with words just PM me and tell me what the points are you want to make and I'll write one for you.

Another Not-So-New Dev we already knew.... Big Post.. You were warned.

Turnbull throws shade on government incompetence

Italics are Quoted text.

Sauce: http://au.pcmag.com/malcolm-turnbull/23492/opinion/turnbull-throws-shade-on-government-incompetence

In an interview with US Magazine, Liberal Democrats Senator, David Leyonhjelm revealed that an unnamed minister that sounded suspiciously like Turnbull had stormed into a meeting and used a VPN to demonstrate exactly why data retention was a stupid idea:

“We don’t have metadata retention at the moment and the agencies have been saying, ‘Oh, well we should have it. You can’t use it if you haven’t got it,’ sort of thing,” Leyonhjelm said.

“But I spoke to one of the ministers last week about this because he does know what ‘metadata’ means. He knows quite a lot about the Internet and how it works. He said to me people who are asking for this data, people who are thinking this is a good idea, actually have no idea what they’re asking for. They don’t know what they’re going to do with it. They don’t know what the implications of requiring it are. They haven’t really thought this through.”

Turns the rest of the meetings’ attendants didn’t even know what a VPN was, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the finer nuances of the Ministers’ argument probably went over a lot of heads, which is concerning enough without considering these are the same guys that want to monitor everything you do online.

“He gave them a demonstration on a VPN [virtual private network] and said, ‘By my IP address, tell me what you can find out about me now.’ And they had no idea there was such a thing as a VPN,” Leyonhjelm continued.

“It indicates to me that these people are not well-informed enough to make these kinds of decisions.”

More and more Turnbull is revealing himself as true Prime Ministerial material. The clearer that becomes, the more difficult it will be for him to maintain his position within the party long enough to be considered a front-runner in future elections.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott seems pretty wary of Turnbull’s effect on the country, and the party, and has gone to lengths to undermine his credibility.

Attorney General George Brandis interview on Sky News in which he made abundantly clear that though he wanted to spy on everything you do online, he had no idea exactly what metadata was or how storage of said data worked,

Who needs an opposition party? The government seems to be doing fine on its own.

Negotiating the new digital era facing the country will require someone with experience, knowledge and if I could be so bold, a conscience.

Now, I wouldn’t go so far as to say Turnbull has one. (I’m of the sincere opinion that you leave your conscience at the door the day you enter Australian politics), but look around the caucus.

Good Read, Source at top of OP.

Already knew this, most of you do, but just proves ONCE AGAIN,... Net-Noobed enforcement types know nothing about the things they wish to change, yet wanna change it before they even get an idea of whats involved......

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

My god this is horrible! They should be like other more civilized nations (cough us of a cough) and tell you this totally isnt what they are doing while actually doing exactly this.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015