AMD is really falling behind NVIDIA

ContemplatingBeluga

How have AMD copied Nvidia in any way?

Yeah, because Gsync is "widely used", and Mantle is still in BETA, of course it's not widely used. Was DX11 widely used when it first came out? No.

Fanboy rant more pls.

I'm not fanboying. I'm voicing my fucking opinion

I'm not fanboying. I'm voicing my fucking opinion

Then at least prove it.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Prove an opinion?

Yes, as before, whether you chose to read it or not:

How have AMD copied Nvidia in any way?

Also just curious as to why you think Nvidia is better, but yet you bought an AMD GPU?

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

These Mantle arguments need to be put to rest. It's an overhyped, underused, poorly timed API.

Yes, it increases performance on BF4 but any exclusive API should. Setting that aside let's discuss its faults.

Keep in mind this is reference computer gaming, not console.

AMD claims Mantle will be compatible with Nvidia. Frankly it has to. Few developers would dedicate much time to an API that only 40% of hardware could use.

AMD knows an exclusive API would be doomed from the start, so Mantle will soon be public.

Nvidia however has zero desire to support Mantle and have said as much. This doesn't mean it's won't be compatible, it means AMD will have to do all the legwork to ensure that Mantle can be used by Nvidia cards. All without Nvidia's help.

Timing, just plain awful. Clearly an attempt to gain support by using BF4 as a jumping point, they released early without enough development backing.

What was initially a very promising a superior API will (almost immediately) face a more competitive, wider used, and better backed API, DirectX.

Microsoft can evaluate Mantle and ensure DX12 is superior before release. Nvidia is working very closely with Microsoft on this.

While Nvidia can choose not to support Mantle, AMD has to support DirectX. It would be corporate suicide not to.

I like AMD, but they need to step it up and read the market a little better. They blew their load a little early and have lost ground since 2012.

The fact that Nvidia has a 60/40 market lead even with the bitcoin mining craze says it all. I expect AMD to drop to 30% unless they release something amazing. Considering the Hawaii chip competes by running hot with less overhead, I have my doubts.

Shield, ShadowPlay. What have AMD done apart from copy nVidia?

P.S. Mantle dosent count, it's not widely used, nor does True Audio.

Shadowplay isn't what I'd call innovative. It uses the H.264 chip on the GPU, which has been around since the HD 7000 cards and GTX 600 cards. And the feature of being able to record what already happened is something that was already done with Avermedia or blackmagic or something. one of those capture card companies already had that.

Also I don't see how the Shield is really innovative.. it's just a handheld gaming console that streams from your PC. I guess they were the first to do it in that way, but game streaming already existed. Being first to the plate isn't hugely important, so much as the gaming experience. AFAIK only an extremely small minority of users actually care about the NV Shield so it doesn't matter for anyone else, it's just a tally thing like "Oh nvidia did X while AMD only did Y innovations" regardless of how it affects them. I like the idea of the SteamBoy or whatever it's called. Still not for me (dont like handheld gaming), but at least it's not dependent on exclusive PC hardware.

You're right, right now Mantle doesn't "count" because it's not widely improving the game experience. It's in beta and it's a good idea, but now that we know about DirectX 12 it doesn't really matter. I still hope it goes somewhere, because if Mantle were to catch on, it could improve parity between Windows and Linux... then again, OpenGL is already like this and it hasn't caught on so who knows.

And why doesn't TrueAudio count? It seems cool to me, though I don't fully understand it

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

These Mantle arguments need to be put to rest. It's an overhyped, underused, poorly timed API.

Yes, it increases performance on BF4 but any exclusive API should. Setting that aside let's discuss its faults.

Keep in mind this is reference computer gaming, not console.

AMD claims Mantle will be compatible with Nvidia. Frankly it has to. Few developers would dedicate much time to an API that only 40% of hardware could use.

AMD knows an exclusive API would be doomed from the start, so Mantle will soon be public.

Nvidia however has zero desire to support Mantle and have said as much. This doesn't mean it's won't be compatible, it means AMD will have to do all the legwork to ensure that Mantle can be used by Nvidia cards. All without Nvidia's help.

Timing, just plain awful. Clearly an attempt to gain support by using BF4 as a jumping point, they released early without enough development backing.

What was initially a very promising a superior API will (almost immediately) face a more competitive, wider used, and better backed API, DirectX.

Microsoft can evaluate Mantle and ensure DX12 is superior before release. Nvidia is working very closely with Microsoft on this.

While Nvidia can choose not to support Mantle, AMD has to support DirectX. It would be corporate suicide not to.

I like AMD, but they need to step it up and read the market a little better. They blew their load a little early and have lost ground since 2012.

The fact that Nvidia has a 60/40 market lead even with the bitcoin mining craze says it all. I expect AMD to drop to 30% unless they release something amazing. Considering the Hawaii chip competes by running hot with less overhead, I have my doubts.

Mantle is supposed to supplement directx, not replace it. Its way too early to scream doom and gloom about it, its just as bad as the people over-hyping it.

Mantle is supposed to supplement directx, not replace it. Its way too early to scream doom and gloom about it, its just as bad as the people over-hyping it.

I wouldn't call it doom and gloom, moreso it's unfortunate.

Had Mantle been released a few years ago when AMD held the market, it's role would have a much better impact.

I wouldn't call it doom and gloom, moreso it's unfortunate.

Had Mantle been released a few years ago when AMD held the market, it's role would have a much better impact.

AMD never held 'the market" that said they are doing better than ever currently.

This thread is so ridiculous. 

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

There is some truth in the OP but what's concerning is so many hate AMD and desire a Nvidia monopoly as if that would make things better. If at current pace we have to wait 3 years for a launch of a single GPU capable of running 4K the way the 780ti runs 1080p, without AMD that becomes 5 years of annual refreshes. Every Nvidia/Intel purist benefits indirectly whenever AMD launches a competitive product. If AMD goes down, Intel or Nivida will assimilate it, how is the prospect of 2 companies having a CPU and a GPU monopoly not alarming?

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

AMD never held 'the market" that said they are doing better than ever currently.

Unless I'm mistaken ATI did q3-2004 to q2-2005 and AMD was ahead of Nvidia in mobile/laptop GPUs in 2012 (lost to Nvidia in q2-2012) with both being behind Intel in laptop GPU market at the time.

AMD/ATI vs Nvidia semantics aside, the Mantle launch was too little to late IMO.

AMD slid from 60/40 to 65/35. Frankly they're lucky their cards dominated the mining craze. Neither figure can account for "better than ever" when 70/30 is predicted.

Point is mantle will be immediately obsolete if DX12 at a minimum matches it. Who'd spend $ developing for it when only 30% of the dedicated GPU market wants to support it?

The DirectX track record suggests they'll meet/exceeds Mantle, especially with Nvidia throwing support Microsofts way.

AMD/ATI vs Nvidia semantics aside, the Mantle launch was too little to late IMO....

Some Bullshit !

It's still not even a drop in the bucket, but like every feature that's offered it will come down to the individual to decide if their worth it or not. I know I'm not alone in wanting a complete package and being willing to pay more for it.

Not everyone has the budget like you.

Equality doesn't mean Justice.

OP amd is so much cheaper at comparable performance atm it's not even funny...you get ALOT more with amd i even wonder how come nvidia still sell gpus these days...id suggest you never create such a topic again..

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I feel like amd has been pretty stagnant when it come to releasing new tech. Amd needs to bring back the gpu wars with nvidia and do something crazy. I am getting sick of rebadges

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Shadow play? Game DVR

Shield tablet are AMD competing in the handheld sector now?

Power Consumption sure. Amd is terrible in this department.

Physx sure. Amd has no answer

Gsync/Freesync

Does Nvidia have mantle support nope.

TressFx a useless feature much like Physx (which can be run on a cpu) nope Nvidia doesn't have that either.

You see OP AMD and Nvidia have different end goals with a lot of similar features and then unique features that no one cares about.

The only useful proprietary feature Nvidia has is gamestream but its nothing I wasn't replicating before using splashtop or steam streaming.

Nvidia framerating problems nope.

Nvidia driver istalling problems if have more than 1 gpu or more than 1 monitor nope.

The reason I really don't like AMD is that they don't innovate as much as nVidia.

so...

hardware tessellation (implemented by ATI before AMD takeover), x86-64bit architecture (opteron), bridge-less multi-GPU config, audio over HDMI, Powertune, True audio, Mantle (AMD are currently working with microsoft on dx12, to help overcome obstacles that mantle has already overcome), HUMA, coining the term "APU" (not the guy from the simpsons), etc...

vs.

physx (bought from Ageia, not created by nvidia), H264 GPU encoding, G-sync, Multi-GPU config (SLI), GPU boost, coining the term "GPU," portable android console, etc..

I've probably missed innovations from both sides as I only listed who did something first, but I think its hard to objectively gauge who innovates more at this point.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I feel like amd has been pretty stagnant when it come to releasing new tech. Amd needs to bring back the gpu wars with nvidia and do something crazy. I am getting sick of rebadges

ATM the R9 290 is beating the crap out the GTX 780 BUT the R9 290 is more than 100$ cheaper...they also have the 290X wich is better than the Titan...if that is not a ''GPU war'' i don't know what it is!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

ATM the R9 290 is beating the crap out the GTX 780 BUT the R9 290 is more than 100$ cheaper...they also have the 290X wich is better than the Titan...if that is not a ''GPU war'' i don't know what it is!

What i mean by stagnant is that amd is doing the minimum amount of innovation and work to stay competitive with nvidia unlike how it was a few years ago. Also, the 780 does out perform the 290. not sure where you got that info from.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Hd6990 > GTX 590
Hd7990 > Gtx 690
R9 290 > gtx 780
R9295x > gtx 780Ti

Do a full list of cards.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Reading everyone's post's since yesterday. Had to scroll up & read OP's original topic (were off topic a little lol)

AMD is really falling behind NVIDIA

I wouldn't say falling behind, 1 is lower cost solution the other 1 is higher performance solution.

But like someone else said earlier, both companys need each other. Or we, the consumer would have hardware refresh's every 5 years instead of 3. And gpu advances would crawl instead of moving forward. Monopoly's are evil!

[spoiler=Gaming Desktop ◣_◢ ] CPU: Amd FX8320 8core@4.4Ghz oc Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ (Artic Silver 5 Goo) Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-D3P am3/am3+ RAM: Gskill RipjawsX 16gbs ddr3(2x8gb) 1866mhz GPU: MSI R7870-2GD5T/oc 17.5% 1175core 1450mem Hdd: Sandisk 128Gb ssd boot drive, 2x1Tb Hitachi 7200rpm hdd, 2Tb WD MyBook 7200rpm external hdd PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+Bronze full Modular Case: Rosewill Challenger USB3.0v Mid-tower OS: W7 64bit Hp Keyboard:MS sidewinder 6x,Logitech K400 wireless Mouse:Logitech 318e Controller:xbox360 wired Monitor:23" Dell 1080p 60Hz LED-backlit LCD, 50" Sceptre 1080p 60Hz LED HDTVHeadphones:Turtlebeach X12 Speakers: Dell AX210 USB [spoiler=Workstation - retiring soon _ ]CPU: Amd 645 4core@3.1Ghz Mobo: ASRock A785GM-LE am3 RAM: Corsair 8gbs ddr3(4x2gb) 1333mhz GPU: XFX HD 5570 1gb ddr3 650core 900mem Hdd:1Tb Hitachi 7200rpm hdd  PSU: Antec BP350 350w

Case: DIYPC FM08-Blue2 Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case OS: W7 64bit Hp [spoiler=Gaming Laptop ಠ_ಠ ] CPU: Intel I7- 4700hq 4core@2.4Ghz 3.4Ghz turbo  Model: MSI GE Series GE60 Apache Pro-003 Gaming Laptop RAM: Corsair 8gbs ddr3 (1x8gbs)1600mhz GPU: NVIDIA GTX 860M 2gbs gddr5 1029core 1253mem

Hdd: 1Tb WD 7200rpm hdd OS: W8.1 64bit Keyboard: Steel Series Gaming Backlit 102 keys Monitor: 15.6" LCD eDP Wide View Angle Headphones:Turtlebeach X12 Speakers: 4 x Speakers (2W)

Nvidia framerating problems nope.

Nvidia driver istalling problems if have more than 1 gpu or more than 1 monitor nope.

I've heard setting up SLI setups to run on multiple monitors is a right PITA

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W