AMD is really falling behind NVIDIA

ContemplatingBeluga

Welcome to the internet, you must be new here. :P

But yeah, I/we NEED AMD to be a worthy competitor for the sake of good competition. But they're just not, and it sucks. I think it's fair to say that the way they go about producing their products is poor engineering. They can't make a fast GPU? - crank the shit out of it at stock - 290/290x. They can't make a fast CPU? - crank the shit out of it at stock - FX 9590.

Again, it's the architecture. They are using a different architecture than intel. Have you seen the news that they dump that and is planning on making new cpu by end 2015?

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

This comment just made me loose many brain cells. The TDP of the 780Ti and the 280X are not quite as different as you make out. Stop making such dumb comments. With regards to CPU performance, don't even bother with that argument as you won't get anywhere. If you are going to say stuff like this then please actually provide some proof.

431ddcf74a103e3175097274428607b2.png

Source: http://www.hwcompare.com/16369/geforce-gtx-780-ti-vs-radeon-r9-290x/

A 17% delta is pretty significant in my opinion.

Nvidia also has much better software on offer, in my experience. Catalyst was a horrible experience with my 7950, and when I got a 760, I was in love.

Again, it's the architecture. They are using a different architecture than intel. Have you seen the news that they dump that and is planning on making new cpu by end 2015?

Yes, it is architecture, and their architecture is worse.

KtJd0Gs.png

I like Nvidia more generally, but I think that Shadow Play and Shield are irrelevant. I also don't use GeForce Experience, which doesn't offer anything to me.

Shield has failed already; nobody has one and the design (whilst practical) is a piece of shit, it looks terrible. PC manufacturers never make something which appeals to the masses, take the Steambox; There are virtually no games which are 'Living Room' games, so the whole thing will just be a mahusive flop. Just like the Shield.

AMD on the other hand offers people who get cheap electricity better bang for the buck 9 times out of 10.

Compatible with Windows 95

Yes, it is architecture, and their architecture is worse.

KtJd0Gs.png

So comparing one benchmark makes it worse?

So lets look at them all? http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/677?vs=697

Wondered why you didn't add the rest, not sure why you are comparing the 8350 with that CPU. The i3 3220's single-thread performance will ofcourse be better, when you look at multi-threaded it's a different story.   :D

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

So comparing one benchmark makes it worse?

So lets look at them all? http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/677?vs=697

Wondered why you didn't add the rest, not sure why you are comparing the 8350 with that CPU. The i3 3220's single-thread performance will ofcourse be better, when you look at multi-threaded it's a different story.   :D

You are failing to see the point. A 55w budget CPU can outperform a 125w CPU per core. Does that not mean anything to you? Even the freaking Pentium G840 beats it per core, The Intel architecture is better in every possible way. AMD clearly can't compete - the 2600k SHREDS the FX8350 on essentially every level while maintaining a TDP 30w lower (-25%), not to mention the 3770k, 4770k etc. It just goes to show that the 9590 is an embarrassment:

They can't make a fast CPU? - crank the shit out of it at stock - FX 9590.

And to think, they wanted over $1000 for that thing when it first came out. It's not even funny.

Fanboyism aside, AMD IS falling behind. They don't seem to concerned about creating actually challenging products. Seems like lack of confidence to me.

HOWEVER; they still have great products and are still in the "cheap" market but I don't see that lasting forever if they don't get their shit together.

Case: Define R4 (Black - Window) | PSU: EVGA Supernova 850w Gold | Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) | CPU: Intel i7 4790K (Devil's Canyon) Delidded with CLU  GPU: ASUS STRIX 980 TI | Cooler: Corsair H100i with CLU | Extra: NZXT Hue

I respect that, for some people pure performance is all that matters however I value the whole package rather than just one part of it. I wouldn't sacrifice features for all out performance.

True, if you're going to be using all those features.

For me, it's all about price:performance. Nvidia does have some nice features, but then I have to buy a shield device which is hundreds of dollars extra, not everyone streams, there are great programs out there like DXTory and even OBS that have local recordings that take no performance hit whatsoever. GSync is really the only thing that I would find interesting, but AMD does have a counter for it, but I'm skeptical of both solutions as I'd like to see them both in person(and play in a non-controlled environment) before deciding which to go with.

I currently run 2x7870's because I initially bought a single one when it first came out and I got it on a good deal, then I got a second one because a family member gave me a Newegg giftcard for some work I did on their house, so I got it for practically half off. Would I switch to a 780ti? Hell yes, in a heartbeat. Would I switch to a 760? Hell no.

I'm going to be waiting until next gen comes out(GTX880/R9390) and then waiting another month or two before fully deciding because there is always problems with GPU launches whether it be software, hardware or just randomness. If you are going to be using all of the features Nvidia provides you, then go for it! But if you're just gaming, then you should consider AMD just on the basis of price:performance. 

Pure performance and bang for your buck - AMD

More useful features and lower power consumption - Nvidia

I choose Nvidia (only because of that Shield)

If I had to choose to port features, I would take AMD's features.

All together.

The only thing nvidia ever did better was custom display output.

I can make a full list of how the other things failed, yes stuff like updates.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Even the freaking Pentium G840 beats it per core

It was very useful when I had to shut down my other cpu core to win an argument ;)

It was even more relevant when I chose all the unoptimised software and bloatware to achieve the least experience degradation.

Thanks captain obvious. I'm not helping either.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

It was very useful when I had to shut down my other cpu core to win an argument ;)

It was even more relevant when I chose all the unoptimised software and bloatware to achieve the least experience degradation.

Thanks captain obvious. I'm not helping either.

I have no idea what you're trying to say...  :ph34r:

slow.gif

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Don't put cpu comparisons here. The title never mentioned AMD is falling behind INTEL.

As for graphics cards wise,i believe it's common sense that AMD is just going for the raw power and nothing else.Gotta make some sacrifices to maintain that good price/performance.

Let's see what the future holds for AMD cards.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

AMD just was never all that appealing for me. I'm not a nvidia fanboy it's just that i've always been with nvidia all the way since 2008. I own an A10-7850k (I guess that counts as a graphics card too :P) Also I own a 8320 (Just wanted to mention that to prove that I'm not an nvidia/intel fanboy) AMD has really different objectives from nvidia anyways. Nvidia in my opinion is for the people who like having alot of extra features like gamestream (I own an nvidia shield) while AMD is going for raw power as someone said in this thread. Anyways  I gotta go to bed now it's 10 PM here and I have to wake up at 6 tomorrow. Will post more soon! I have been really inactive here.

My Computer (Yet to be named)

Processor: Intel i7 5930k @ 4.4 Cooler: Corsair H100i Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-SLI RAM: 16GB EVGA 2666Mhz 4x4 Graphics Card: PNY Geforce GTX 980 ti  Storage: 1x Intel 730 240GB / 2x Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB PSU: Corsair RM650 Case: NZXT S340 Monitor: Asus VG248QE Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013

NVIDIA has so much more to offer consumers in comparison to AMD. Shadowplay, Shield Tablet with its ability to stream games and better power consumption in general. I am planning to buy a new graphics card soon and I was quite shocked to learn how far behind AMD is now in terms of functionality. Mantle has yet to prove itself groundbreaking in any way as promised. As a AMD user, I am really quite disappointed over this  :(

current flagship cards 290/780 and 290x/780Ti consume equal power as their competition counterpart.

power_maximum.gif

Shadowplay and AMD GVR both function similar, albeit Nvidia is definitely ahead of the game there, even if the raw video file it outputs is a shoddy codec. If neither appeal to a person, MSI afterburner capture using the x264 for windows codec works as well or better imo than either shadowplay or GVR.

The tablet is a lot like the original shield, where the target audience is narrow. But dat K1 processor though...

As far as Mantle is concern, DX12 is being built around how Mantle Works. Microsoft engineers never solved the problems that ATI engineers did with Mantle, and as a consequence AMD is jointly helping with the DX12 project at Microsoft to get it working. will this make DX12 favor AMD? not likely...

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

what about the freesync?

Freesync is awesome and superior. Gsync is like physx

It's not even close. It's only a debate of misconceptions and mis akcnowledgements.

I'm glad I found out it's this way, because I did worry for Free-Sync's relevancy.

The only useful thing nVidia has going for it is Shadowplay, everything is else is useless, and AMD has an equivalent.

AMD is not behind for me

The only useful thing nVidia has going for it is Shadowplay, everything is else is useless, and AMD has an equivalent.

AMD is not behind for me

AMD has an answer to shadow it's calle DVR or something.

They aren't falling behind in price/performance. That's something consumers are interested in.

AMD also have a much better compute architecture then nvidia as Kepler is basically "RISC" whereas Fermi & GCN are "CISC".

AMD falls behined Nvidia?

lolwhut? :blink:

AMD dominates Nvidia in price to performance.

780Ti might be the fastest single gpu on the market, still AMD offers better price to performance.

780Ti is the fastest single gpu on the market for gaming, but everything below that AMD just dominates Nvidia, with more performance for less money.

Shadowplay isn´t realy something to botter about, also AMD has an ansewr to it.

Also at photo and video editing, since more and more software developers, adopt open CL an open GL, to theire applications.

AMD starts to dominate there aswell.

So yeah....?

NVIDIA has so much more to offer consumers in comparison to AMD. Shadowplay, Shield Tablet with its ability to stream games and better power consumption in general. I am planning to buy a new graphics card soon and I was quite shocked to learn how far behind AMD is now in terms of functionality. Mantle has yet to prove itself groundbreaking in any way as promised. As a AMD user, I am really quite disappointed over this  :(

Yeah AMDs feature set kind of sucks, but AMD is all about dat price/performance. Every Nvidia card costs more, 770 costs $50 more than 280x, 780 costs $100 more than 290, 780ti costs $150 more than 290x

Shadow play? Game DVR

Shield tablet are AMD competing in the handheld sector now?

Power Consumption sure. Amd is terrible in this department.

Physx sure. Amd has no answer

Gsync/Freesync

Does Nvidia have mantle support nope.

TressFx a useless feature much like Physx (which can be run on a cpu) nope Nvidia doesn't have that either.

You see OP AMD and Nvidia have different end goals with a lot of similar features and then unique features that no one cares about.

The only useful proprietary feature Nvidia has is gamestream but its nothing I wasn't replicating before using splashtop or steam streaming.

LOUD ASS CARDS, AMD

LAVA-LIKE TEMPERATURES, AMD

MANTLE, USELESS.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I think AMD is in a position now where it responds to Nvidia when they push forward.  Kind of like what Samsung does with Apple..

I think it's great that AMD developed Mantle and it really did put a fire under Microsoft's ass with DirectX. Sadly I don't think it has future if DX12 implements most of it's benefits.

Honestly AMD missed the boat with Android gaming as well.. maybe they shouldn't have sold their imageon line to Qualcomm..   Adreno = Radeon

I think Nvidia is more of a risk taker overall and they can afford to do that now. They are making money every quarter not losing it like AMD. It sucks. I wish AMD was doing better at the moment since I have owned a ton of their products over the years and have enjoyed them. One thing I can say, thanks to the stellar performance to price ratio of their videocards they are keeping Nvidia' pricing a bit in check... just imagine if they didn't have good performing videocards...

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal