AMD is really falling behind NVIDIA

ContemplatingBeluga

Why cause I call the nvidiots and fanboys out on there Bullshit ... prove your BS otherwise in means nothing but proves you are an ignorant fanboy. Please leave these forums .

How do you show that you aren't a fanboy when you use terms like nvidiots?    Please exit at toms hardware. Think thats where all you guys belong.

There are plenty of 14 year olds you can have this pathetic fanboy battle with.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Bought a 280x for $300 when it came out. It is a direct competitor to the GTX 770. At the time, 770 was more expensive.

FreeSync WILL kill GSYNC and it will be better for every gamer out there.

I've heard setting up SLI setups to run on multiple monitors is a right PITA

I run 3 benq's and sli blacks, no problems. Maybe it was a past issue? It seemed pretty straightforward.

I run 3 benq's and sli blacks, no problems. Maybe it was a past issue? It seemed pretty straightforward.

hmm maybe he just messed something up. someone i talked to said they had SLI 770s (I think) and said they could get 1 of them to power all 3, but couldn't get all 3 to work with the 2-way SLI setup (he could get 1 on each GPU + 1 on Intel HD). possible he just didn't know how to set it up properly... he ended up getting 2x 290s instead and said amd's surround was easy to set up. Not sure what that was all about. I havent personally used SLI/CFX or multi monitor gaming so _shrug

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

OP amd is so much cheaper at comparable performance atm it's not even funny...you get ALOT more with amd i even wonder how come nvidia still sell gpus these days...id suggest you never create such a topic again..

Because at 1080p the 780 ti is the fastest single GPU on the market, Nvidia shield is important to some people as well as G-Sync,

You're comparing apples to oranges... They aren't targeting the same demographic. AMD has just redirected their focus. AMD is still running a what, 3 year old architecture? And it's still competing with the green team? Personally I'm glad AMD is shifting towards more apu's. More apu's means more casual gamers which means more money is put into pc development. 

unlike Nvida whose going to roll out yet another batch of 28nm gpus, AMD is waiting for 20 nm, which will arrive in 2015.

Because at 1080p the 780 ti is the fastest single GPU on the market, Nvidia shield is important to some people as well as G-Sync,

yeah, because push the resolution any higher, and the 3GB of vram chokes performance frequently on newer titles.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

APUs don't seem viable to me yet. Having to get an APU with a decent motherboard and insanely fast RAM? That is sort of pricey; considering the fact that a Pentium G3258 with a good motherboard and a 750ti would cost about the same. It depends on the country you live in at least.

http://www.fuwell.com.sg/uploads/misc/Fuwell010814.pdf

This is the price list in my country. Not exactly very cheap.

yeah, because push the resolution any higher, and the 3GB of vram chokes performance frequently on newer titles.

1440p Ultra 2x/4x aa, some reports weren't specific.

BF4 - 2.4gb

Crysis3 - 2.6gb

MLL - 1.5gb (reused textures)

Titanfall - 2.8gb

Arma3 - 2.8gb

CS:GO - 1.5gb

Watchdogs (port) Wolfenstein (port) and modded Skyrim can exceed 3gb. Arma3 as well if you tweak view distance. All reports exceeding 3gb are with 4xaa to 8xaa and still still smooth on 3gb cards. Console ports are usually not optimized well. The Xbox and Ps4 unified ram (was it 8gb?) made developers lazy.

Depending on the size of your monitor you don't need much AA for 1440p.

Edited to add:

The vast majority of pc gamers use 1 and 2gb cards. Developers know this, and will continue to optimize towards that wall. I'm sure tons of single/sli 2gb card owners can chime-in and confirm their rigs run the above games butter smooth @ 1440p.

Also remember resolution isn't an "end all" for VRAM. You can have a 1080p game use 8gb+ of VRAM as we're no where near perfect visual fidelity (photo realistic gaming). Smart development goes a long way.

the 780 ti performs on par with the 290x at 1440p and 4k.

Loud ass cards amd:  Bullshit, the Sapphire Vapor X and Tri X are realy quiet.

LAVA like temps: Also bullshit, again check the temps of the Vapor X

Mantle useless: also an arguiment based on nothing, because mantle does improve frame rates significantly.

So your standpoints are based on nothing, besides fanboyism i guess?

First two- stock cards

3rd- Mantle only improves fps in low-medium spec cards

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

the 780 ti performs on par with the 290x at 1440p and 4k.

780ti also cost significantly more so par is just not cutting the mustard.

Mantle benefit the most on high end card with mediocre CPU.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Mantle benefit the most on high end card with mediocre CPU.

Yup, I don't see any improvement with mantle(1-2fps is nothing). Now If I had a quad core amd paired with a r9 290, now that would be a huge improvement. Mantle really only helps cpu bottlenecks. Too much hype atm surrounding it.

[spoiler=Gaming Desktop ◣_◢ ] CPU: Amd FX8320 8core@4.4Ghz oc Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ (Artic Silver 5 Goo) Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-D3P am3/am3+ RAM: Gskill RipjawsX 16gbs ddr3(2x8gb) 1866mhz GPU: MSI R7870-2GD5T/oc 17.5% 1175core 1450mem Hdd: Sandisk 128Gb ssd boot drive, 2x1Tb Hitachi 7200rpm hdd, 2Tb WD MyBook 7200rpm external hdd PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+Bronze full Modular Case: Rosewill Challenger USB3.0v Mid-tower OS: W7 64bit Hp Keyboard:MS sidewinder 6x,Logitech K400 wireless Mouse:Logitech 318e Controller:xbox360 wired Monitor:23" Dell 1080p 60Hz LED-backlit LCD, 50" Sceptre 1080p 60Hz LED HDTVHeadphones:Turtlebeach X12 Speakers: Dell AX210 USB [spoiler=Workstation - retiring soon _ ]CPU: Amd 645 4core@3.1Ghz Mobo: ASRock A785GM-LE am3 RAM: Corsair 8gbs ddr3(4x2gb) 1333mhz GPU: XFX HD 5570 1gb ddr3 650core 900mem Hdd:1Tb Hitachi 7200rpm hdd  PSU: Antec BP350 350w

Case: DIYPC FM08-Blue2 Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case OS: W7 64bit Hp [spoiler=Gaming Laptop ಠ_ಠ ] CPU: Intel I7- 4700hq 4core@2.4Ghz 3.4Ghz turbo  Model: MSI GE Series GE60 Apache Pro-003 Gaming Laptop RAM: Corsair 8gbs ddr3 (1x8gbs)1600mhz GPU: NVIDIA GTX 860M 2gbs gddr5 1029core 1253mem

Hdd: 1Tb WD 7200rpm hdd OS: W8.1 64bit Keyboard: Steel Series Gaming Backlit 102 keys Monitor: 15.6" LCD eDP Wide View Angle Headphones:Turtlebeach X12 Speakers: 4 x Speakers (2W)

Yup, I don't see any improvement with mantle(1-2fps is nothing). Now If I had a quad core amd paired with a r9 290, now that would be a huge improvement. Mantle really only helps cpu bottlenecks. Too much hype atm surrounding it.

I did see 10% improvement in BF4 and around 30% in Thief with my system. Not to mention the motion in BF4 is more fluid with Mantle.

I have a "crippled i7-3770" btw.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Actually, Mantle hasn't been utilized to its fullest. the ability to have hundreds of complex AI together in a small area in a video game was realistically impossible before Mantle. considering that AMD are working along side Microsoft to help them get dx12 sorted out (AMD found solutions to problems when developing mantle that Microsoft hadn't yet), I think the future of gaming will benefit greatly once this tech becomes mainstream, whether people like it or not.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Game DVR has one disadvantage. 

-It can only record for 20 minutes. It sounds stupid, but it's actually true.

It records as long as you want it to, it just breaks up the video into 20 minute parts to make the files smaller and easier to import.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

First two- stock cards

This is not true. I've got a 280x and mantle gives me a significant improvement in minimum fps. this is with an i5-2500 cpu. Also get way better frame-times with mantle according to bf4's cpu graph, and significantly less judder/microstutter.

Mantle gives the biggest boost to lower end hardware, but there can be significant benefits on higher end hardware as well. Saying it "only" benefits low spec cards just isn't true.

I'd agree it gives better performance across all tiers, however players who already have recent gen hardware are far less likely to even notice. The current line of AMD cards should run BF4 butter smooth without the Mantle API.

The majority of "zomg Mantle is awesome" comments come from players with older hardware that Mantle breathed new life into, so I think that's where the confusion comes from.

I saw benchmarks of 290 crossfire with a relatively high-end CPU (an overclocked i5 or i7, can't remember) and the interesting thing about mantle is it virtually eliminated frame-time variance and pacing issues historically facing AMD's cards. The overall average FPS wasn't really any better, but the framerates were rock solid.

Shame I can't remember where I saw this though :/

I saw benchmarks of 290 crossfire with a relatively high-end CPU (an overclocked i5 or i7, can't remember) and the interesting thing about mantle is it virtually eliminated frame-time variance and pacing issues historically facing AMD's cards. The overall average FPS wasn't really any better, but the framerates were rock solid.

Shame I can't remember where I saw this though :/

Definitely agreed that avg fps isn't what to look for for mantle's advantage, its fps consistency, minimum fps, frame latency etc...

I've got pretty decent hardware (i5-2500, amd 280x, 16gb ram). On bf4 multiplayer maps my minimum fps/fps consistency isn't great with dx11, even if I put all my settings on medium, I get drops to 40-55 fps just from looking towards the middle of the map. Its especially noticeable on seige of shanghai, even on an empty server. With mantle these drops are gone, and I can actually keep above 60 fps at all times. Here's some screenshots from seige of shanghai in one of the spots where fps always takes a hit just by looking towards the middle of the map, taken on an empty server for consistency's sake:

DX11 55 FPS, and it stays right at 55 fps as long as I'm looking towards the tower: http://i.imgur.com/dWYVcKG.jpg in a full server it usually drops even lower to ~40 fps.

Mantle: 84 FPS, I can consistently stay well above 60 fps with mantle, no matter where I'm looking on the map (even in 64p multiplayer games): http://i.imgur.com/kcWkXay.jpg

This is on all high settings with 2xmsaa, fxaa low, 1080p

Thats no tiny minimum fps difference! You can also see from the perf graph that the frame times are indeed much better, even just sitting there on an empty server. Gameplay is so much smoother overall when you can keep 60+ fps all the time, and there's much less judder due to frame variance with mantle.

Mantle pulls off exactly what it claims to (significantly reduced cpu overhead, better multithreading). I am looking forward to DX12 as well if it can pull of similar improvements.

Definitely agreed that avg fps isn't what to look for for mantle's advantage, its fps consistency, minimum fps, frame latency etc...

I've got pretty decent hardware (i5-2500, amd 280x, 16gb ram). On bf4 multiplayer maps my minimum fps/fps consistency isn't great with dx11, even if I put all my settings on medium, I get drops to 40-55 fps just from looking towards the middle of the map. Its especially noticeable on seige of shanghai, even on an empty server. With mantle these drops are gone, and I can actually keep above 60 fps at all times. Here's some screenshots from seige of shanghai in one of the spots where fps always takes a hit just by looking towards the middle of the map, taken on an empty server for consistency's sake:

DX11 55 FPS, and it stays right at 55 fps as long as I'm looking towards the tower: http://i.imgur.com/dWYVcKG.jpg in a full server it usually drops even lower to ~40 fps.

Mantle: 84 FPS, I can consistently stay well above 60 fps with mantle, no matter where I'm looking on the map (even in 64p multiplayer games): http://i.imgur.com/kcWkXay.jpg

This is on all high settings with 2xmsaa, fxaa low, 1080p

Thats no tiny minimum fps difference! You can also see from the perf graph that the frame times are indeed much better, even just sitting there on an empty server. Gameplay is so much smoother overall when you can keep 60+ fps all the time, and there's much less judder due to frame variance with mantle.

Mantle pulls off exactly what it claims to (significantly reduced cpu overhead, better multithreading). I am looking forward to DX12 as well if it can pull of similar improvements.

Not to mention widescale dx12 adoption will take a while. By which point mantle may be better (if these slight updates are possible). If it is rendered obsolete then who cares? It still has a long list of confirmed game support which will only get longer and gives better performance today.

• 1 month later...

Wow this thread is still going on :o

I guess the beating never stopps haha :) .

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling