New batteries double in capacity ussing spongy silicon

The article is from ExtremeTech 

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/185999-us-department-of-energy-doubles-lithium-ion-battery-capacity-with-spongy-silicon

The Department of Energy’s Pacific Northwest National Laboratory has created a new variety of lithium-ion battery that can store at least twice the amount of energy found in your conventional smartphone or laptop battery. Unlike some other battery advances that won’t see the light of day for years to come (if at all), this energy storage breakthrough could actually find its way into commercial devices fairly soon.

Very interesting and something that is much needed, even more so than faster CPU's and GPU's in mobile market.

I like the sound of spongy silicon...

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

I like the sound of spongy silicon...

Oh yeah it's so dirty.. :ph34r:

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Does it soak up water and blow up? :P

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Ooooh. Put these in teslas. 1000km range would be soooooooo good.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yeah, that is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this.  :D

I need longer lasting batteries for sure.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Bigger batteries are always good news. I'd like to see it as my Nexus 5 battery barely makes it through the day with heavy use. Two day batteries under heavy use would be great.

I hope manufacturers don't use 2560x1440 screens because of this because there is just no need for them in a normal sized phone and it wastes battery, reducing the chance of a two day battery.

Rig - Processor: Intel core i5 3570k @4.3GHz, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX, GPU: XFX HD 7950 DD, with a Kraken G10 and Kraken X40, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4x4GB, HDD: Seagate 1.5TB, Cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484, Case: Phantom 530

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer 24-inch 1920x1080, Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4, Mouse: Logitech G9x, Headphones: Turtle Beach PX21, Mousepad: Steelseries QCK

Seems like a lot of new technologies are moving to foam/sponge based solutions. I likey

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

This is great news. The battery market for mobile devices as been overlooked for to long. 

Any news involving the advancement of battery technology is good news for me as a smartphone user.

Same here. At this point, pretty much everything about my two year old HTC One S is still fine (hardware wise), the only thing that I really need to see improving is battery life.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Same here. At this point, pretty much everything about my two year old HTC One S is still fine (hardware wise), the only thing that I really need to see improving is battery life.

This is how I feel, I see 1440p displays on phones now and just think to myself that this is all well and good, but I can barely tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p display on a phone, yet I can tell the difference immediately when I switch to a device with longer battery life.

If I had to pick a 1440p phone with a processor to keep the experience fluid, or my 720p Galaxy Nexus with 2x the battery life I'll stay with the Gnex. (fortunately my Gnex has a removable battery so I can just swap it out if I need more juice on the go).

The only real solution to the battery problem we have at present is the portable power packs (which in turn is just a big Lithium cell bank)

All this battery tech you see getting reported on, takes so fucking long to come to the real world... were talking like 5+ years.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

This is why I'm anxious to see what Tesla can do with their new plants and their push for better battery tech. 

People go on and on about processor speeds or CUDA cores or high gigahertz RAM, people really need to care more about insanely long lasting batteries (that also charge insanely quick)

So it can double the capacity, but can you charge it twice as fast too?

Finally, some battery tech that might actually happen sometimes soon.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

I need longer lasting batteries for sure.

Everyone could use better batteries.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Everyone could use better batteries.

I completly agree :) but i was just relatting with myself, when i said that. :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Would love to see this new technology implemented in electric cars!

I would like to see more people adopt electric cars instead of gas cars these days. If not completely steal most of the market share. If you are a big fan of gasoline engines, at the very least if more people buy electric cars, then the demand for gas will go way down. And that means cheaper fuel

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

I completly agree :) but i was just relatting with myself, when i said that. :D

True, just saying you're not alone. :D

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

I wish someday we get a powerful gaming notebook with long battery life to last a day.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I wish someday we get a powerful gaming notebook with long battery life to last a day.

It will happen just not that soon.