[UPDATED with a working 60 FPS video] YouTube is getting 48 and 60 FPS support and a tip jar

TopWargamer

i record my videos at 60fps but encode down to 30 because i know youtubes limitations and its just a waste of data

EDIT: the reason i record at 60 is so i dont have to play at horrible 30

In some programs you can record at 30 FPS but play at 60 FPS or whatever your max is. I know with DxTory you can do this.

COMIC SANS

That video freezes constantly for me. It's not buffering, it's just freezing. GG Youtube.

EDIT: Apparently it was a problem with Chrome.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

That video freezes constantly for me. It's not buffering, it's just freezing. GG Youtube.

Works just fine for me. Maybe it's your connection?

COMIC SANS

wow, that very noticeable difference i hope they don't keep high framerate to the maximum resolution, because my shitty connection doesn't even allow me to watch 720p videos unless i let it buffer first :(

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Works just fine for me. Maybe it's your connection?

Nope, it's definitely not my connection. The audio continues to play, but the whole youtube player freezes, I can't click anything. I just tried using a different browser and it seemed to work fine, so apparently it's a problem with Chrome. I guess I'll try reinstalling it.

EDIT: Reinstalling Chrome fixed the issue. I also previously had a few other issues with the entire Youtube webpage freezing for 20+ seconds, and that seems to be gone, too.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

This gives me a thought of Linus shooting some video in hertz increments of 5 up to 60. 5-10-15-20-25-30-35-40-45-50-55-60,  *Insert video about refresh rate*.  Chop Chop my dear fellow Canadian brother.

@LinusTech 

Yes please.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So from now it will be "Don't forget to Like, Comment, Subscribe...... A send us money if you think this video was blah blah blah" 

Creators be like: tumblr_locn9aIsRv1qlr140o1_500.gif

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Yes! Console users will now understand what 60fps is like.

Devs can no longer hide what 60 fps is like.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

its about damn time

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

im dropping a lot of frames in that video for some reason

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Then comes the question: Will videos you upload have the option for 30, 48 and or 60? Also why 48 FPS? I'd of thought 45.

48 is HFR (high frame rate) and is twice the normal 24p movies are shot in. 

For example the new Hobbit movies were shot in HFR 48 fps

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

it's just a number :D

30 FPS is beter then 60 FPS LOL

says console fanboy

1004498_500136473394831_798489000_n.jpg

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Youtube usually says that the video is 1080p loaded and plays a part in another resolution that it was already loaded on and refuses to load it in 1080p, now with this video I see some parts 60 fps and some really low, may be because of the recording but some parts really look sub 30-fps for me.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

YouTube also announced these features:

• YouTube Creator Studio – Available now on Android, coming soon to iOS. The Creator Studio app will give creators the ability to view analytics, manage their videos, and other stuff.
  • Audio Library sound effects – Creators now have access to royalty-free sound effects so they don’t have to create their own zombie screams or whatever. Instead, future sound effects on YouTube will all sound the same.
  • Creator Credits – Because everyone on YouTube is collaborating with everyone else, YouTube is now enabling collaborators to name and link to their fellow collaborators in a way that viewers might actually click through. Another “coming soon” feature.
  • Fan-submitted subtitles – So that even if viewers don’t speak the same language, they can still watch (and hopefully enjoy) your videos. In the coming months.
  • Moving from annotations to cards – YouTube wants to improve the way it displays links on videos. So it’ll at some point replace annotations with cards, which will work across desktop, mobile phones, and tablets.
  • More ways to playlist – YouTube will soon give creators more creative ways to create playlists to make their videos more easily discoverable.

Source: TechCrunch

Sounds like really awesome new features.

The "tip-jar" thing will probably be shoved down our throats just like "comment rate and subscribe" is though.

Youtube usually says that the video is 1080p loaded and plays a part in another resolution that it was already loaded on and refuses to load it in 1080p, now with this video I see some parts 60 fps and some really low, may be because of the recording but some parts really look sub 30-fps for me.

You have to watch in fullscreen. It just looked like a normal 30fps youtube video in non-fullscreen, but it looked 60fps the second i put it in fullscreen.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

SNIP

its nice to see youtube actually start to add things people have been after for a long time

I guess after the whole google+ balls up and everyone running and screaming they finally realised that they could make a GOOD video hosting site with features that benefit the creators as much as the viewers

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

i likey! 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Finally it's happening!!!

Funny thing; it needs 80% cpu usage on fullscreen 1080p on my poor lappie's i5 whereas in a normal fullscreen 1080p video it only needs 30%. it's like 4k?!

And i also had frame drops.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

The example video is still 30 frames for me. I checked the video stats when it is not on 1080p, when it is on 1080p, when its full screen and when its not full screen, it was all 30 FPS.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

The example video is still 30 frames for me. I checked the video stats when it is not on 1080p, when it is on 1080p, when its full screen and when its not full screen, it was all 30 FPS.

My guess is that it depends on which videos your browser supports.

I checked in Aurora and I got over 30 FPS (the video is not constant 60 FPS, I'd say the average is about 40-50) but in Chromium I got the normal 30 FPS version.

Might also have to do with if you got DASH enabled, and if you got the HTML5 beta enabled.

My guess is that it depends on which videos your browser supports.

I checked in Aurora and I got over 30 FPS (the video is not constant 60 FPS, I'd say the average is about 40-50) but in Chromium I got the normal 30 FPS version.

Might also have to do with if you got DASH enabled, and if you got the HTML5 beta enabled.

Yes, that must be it. I downloaded the video, it is indeed 60 FPS.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

BOOM! nice, console people might just get some fucking sense

actually i think its more the hardware and the different lies that they tell people.

I just watched that gameplay video. Seems smooth, but boy ... what a mess gameplay wise. And still heavily compressed. I really didn't enjoy watching that.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

For all the HFR goodness, the low bitrate is killing the joy. Actually, the compression artifacts are even more pronounced with the increased frame density.

5.7Mbits for a 1080p60 stream is simply like driving on fumes. I would rather prefer 30 FPS with increased bitrate and 4:2:2 color resolution to come first.