[UPDATED with a working 60 FPS video] YouTube is getting 48 and 60 FPS support and a tip jar

TopWargamer

Source 1: http://kotaku.com/youtube-is-getting-60-fps-support-finally-1596759330?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Source 2: http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/26/5847822/youtube-support-60-fps-video-tip-jar-fan-funding

From the YouTube Twitter:

9LNVR.png

In a post on its Creators blog, YouTube said it plans to "launch support for 48 and even 60 frames per second in the coming months." The company has a handful of videos from Battlefield Hardline and Titanfall (embedded above) that show what 60 FPS playback at high definition on YouTube looks like. The move should greatly benefit players who stream and upload video from fighting games, action games, shooters and other high frame rate titles.

YouTube is also offering direct funding support for content creators — name-checking sites like KickStarter and Patreon — and is allowing fans to "contribute money to support your channel at any time, for any reason."

According to Polygon, this video is running in 60 FPS. Change the resolution to 1080p and full screen it for the full experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SRTEXSpcyI

Our begging is finally paying off! Now we don't have to do janky tactics to get '60 FPS' anymore. So woo, now we can have butter smooth videos. This is especially great for gaming videos! The added in tip jar is especially great, because a lot of people use Adblock, so content creators don't get the ad revenue whenever an Adblock user watches one of their videos. With the tip jar, if somebody is so kind enough, they can add in their little donation to help out the content creator.

COMIC SANS

"Coming soon". *Waits 30 more years*

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I always upload at 24FPS because I know it's limitations (and I get a terrible upload speed where I live anyway)

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I still can't imagine the difference and I play some games right now at 45+ FPS. So, can't wait to see it. :P

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Then comes the question: Will videos you upload have the option for 30, 48 and or 60? Also why 48 FPS? I'd of thought 45.

48fps IMO is the lowest framerate you can go and still perceive smoothness as smooth like 60fps.

Anything under 48fps and no doubt a lot of users here could tell.

Hence why a lot of gamers try to NEVER go below 50fps as an average or even minimum framerate.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

But we can't see over 24 fps :( look at movies

jk

Inb4 someone doesn't read the JK part and rages at you or something.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

Guys, question: Are already uploaded videos going to be retro fitted with their true FPS? Or would it require that they be reuploaded? 

They'd probably have to be reuploaded, which sucks for a lot of reasons.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Guys, question: Are already uploaded videos going to be retro fitted with their true FPS? Or would it require that they be reuploaded?

They'd probably have to be reuploaded, which sucks for a lot of reasons.

I'd assume reuploaded, that'd be giant task to take millions of terabytes (or billions) worth of videos and make them run at 48 or 60.

I'd assume reuploaded, that'd be giant task to take millions of terabytes (or billions) worth of videos and make them run at 48 or 60.

Well that's the thing. If Youtube (and I seriously doubt this, but) kept the originals after encoding them, they could just do a swap. Their encoding is what forced it down to 24FPS. So they had a copy of the originals at some point. I just doubt that they kept them. 

I assume the 24FPS limit was to save on both bandwidth and storage space. Dropping a video file from 60 to 24 FPS more than halves it's size (logically), so I can understand it to an extent. Hurray for progress though!

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

post-29966-ITS-HAPPENING-gif-Ron-Paul-HD

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I usually upload in 60, because dropped frames aren't as noticeable 

jk

omg you scared me for a second

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I still can't imagine the difference and I play some games right now at 45+ FPS. So, can't wait to see it. :P

Watch a Twitch stream that is 60fps and one that is 30fps you can tell. 

jk

Lel. Pcmusterdrace will NVR exp silky smooth 24 fps on a console like my modded PS4

Watching gaming videos will be much better now 

CPU: i5 4670k GPU: GTX 770 Mobo: Z87-UD3H RAM: 8Gb Ripjaws Case: Corsair 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

Watch a Twitch stream that is 60fps and one that is 30fps you can tell. 

I'll do just that. I can't promise I'll see a difference in it though. :P

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Sweet. Even already uploaded 60FPS videos will have to be reuploaded since YouTue reformats/recodes them.

But, still. Pretty cool. Also, there are incorporating a tip jar for channels. Great for adblock users!

i record my videos at 60fps but encode down to 30 because i know youtubes limitations and its just a waste of data

EDIT: the reason i record at 60 is so i dont have to play at horrible 30

This gives me a thought of Linus shooting some video in hertz increments of 5 up to 60. 5-10-15-20-25-30-35-40-45-50-55-60,  *Insert video about refresh rate*.  Chop Chop my dear fellow Canadian brother.