[UPDATED with a working 60 FPS video] YouTube is getting 48 and 60 FPS support and a tip jar

TopWargamer

Yeah, my parents laptop with an i3 3217U chokes on that video at 1080p 60. That's a bit sad.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Awesome - this will be a huge step towards convincing people that FPS isn't just a number! :)

Edit: Fraps only shows around 35FPS, though - does the framecounter just show the wrong value or is my Phenom II X4 965 just not capable of viewing the Videos in 60FPS?

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Awesome - this will be a huge step towards convincing people that FPS isn't just a number! :)

Edit: Fraps only shows around 35FPS, though - does the framecounter just show the wrong value or is my Phenom II X4 965 just not capable of viewing the Videos in 60FPS?

I had a consistent 60 fps when watching it. thats with a med range gpu however.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

But we can't see over 24 fps :( look at movies

jk

Yes we can, Its the way light moves from source to lens, Eyes effectively work the same as a camera, but cameras capture in frames, the camera images have a blur from movement. The blur in an image is more or less based on shutter speed of the lens. Movies choose 24 fps because its on average the lowest speed where individual frames are not heavily noticeable. Using a lower framerate means a lower shutter speed and cameras with lower shutter speeds are less expensive, even if not by much it can still make a good difference with the final budget of the film. Distributing the DVD, BluRay, or Digital version of a film in a mass market is also cheaper at a lower framerate. However more and more modern films are are bringing in huge revenue meaning they can spend more; The Hobbit was filmed 60 fps in the final cut, BluRay only though, my sister bought it on iTunes, big mistake, terrible software, (Apple = great build quality, low end hardware, high end price, decent mobile hardware, TERRIBLE SOFTWARE mobile and desktop) anyways, the file was larger the fps was 24. Movies at 40-60 fps are best bought on BluRay and burned to your hard drive.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I think that video was more of a prototype, by what I saw and what the article said I thought it to be 48 fps.

I had a consistent 60 fps when watching it. thats with a med range gpu however.

I have a GTX760 so I don't think it's on the GPU side of things.

Edit: Oh, I see - it's just not working with Firefox, yet. I just installed Chrome and with that it's constantly running at 60FPs.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

I just watched that gameplay video. Seems smooth, but boy ... what a mess gameplay wise. And still heavily compressed. I really didn't enjoy watching that.

A good trick is to upscale your videos to 4k, the compression is scaled differently, watching the actual resolution with the 4k upscale looks better. For example a 1080p video looks 'blocky' from compression, take the raw video and upscale to 4k then upload, still watching at 1080p it looks clean. It can still look better at 4k even on a 1080p monitor. The downside is that, at full screen or a large part of the screen, watching at 1440p or 4k on a 1440p or 4k monitor will look 'blocky' and compressed.

A good trick is to upscale your videos to 4k, the compression is scaled differently, watching the actual resolution with the 4k upscale looks better. For example a 1080p video looks 'blocky' from compression, take the raw video and upscale to 4k then upload, still watching at 1080p it looks clean. It can still look better at 4k even on a 1080p monitor. The downside is that, at full screen or a large part of the screen, watching at 1440p or 4k on a 1440p or 4k monitor will look 'blocky' and compressed.

Now I understand why Linus uploads his videos in 4K. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

That's great except that I turned on stats for nerds and although the videos are at 60FPS, my (not weak - see sig) PC was only displaying 30-40 FPS, with the rest being dropped. I am using Firefox and flash (youtube doesn't support 1080p html5 on firefox at the moment) which is probably the cause, but when almost half the frames are being dropped its not good. I look forward to these changes taking effect properly though,

HTTP/2 203

I really don't like the 60fps video it makes me feel motion sick for some reason. However I play games at 60fps(battlefield) which is abit weird, maybe its just cos im not in control of the character.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I really don't like the 60fps video it makes me feel motion sick for some reason. However I play games at 60fps(battlefield) which is abit weird, maybe its just cos im not in control of the character.

Some people have strange ways of keeping balance. A friend of mine's wife's balance is tied to her vision, so if she's seeing something she is in control of going in all sorts of directions, she gets motion sickness/loses her balance.

Example: She can't play Bioshock Infinite because of the rail stuff. It just messes with her head. She can however watch her husband play it fine. So she's the opposite of you. 

Just saying, there are some weird things that affect humans.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

That video is 30fps for me, it's dropping some.

EDIT, switched to chrome HTML5 and I can tell immediately without any stats for nerds needed that this is indeed 60fps.

I'm very happy about this because PC gamers now have an advantage not only on their own screens but now to be shown to the world on Youtube, console gameplay is now going to be even more second class.

30fps peasants to the dirt, 60fps is the new peng.

I hope you can disable it. There is no way my internet could handle all those frames.

Pilates

WAN show at 60fps, it will be like sitting in the same room as linus and slick

Finally, why did they take so much time to make it happen ffs

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I hope you can disable it. There is no way my internet could handle all those frames.

Shame I don't have the bandwidth for 1080p 30FPS, let alone 60. :(

Maybe one day...

Video compression helps in this case.  Although the 60 FPS version will be larger, it won't be 2x the size.  When video gets compressed, it has largely to do with what the previous frame's contents were and how far it is from the last key frame.  So it may not be as bad as you think on your Internets.

Guys,please admire the youtube comments :

mikz93.jpg

jgik53.jpg

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Guys,please admire the youtube comments :

mikz93.jpg

jgik53.jpg

The worrying thing is that people '+1'd it. He's obviously a troll, but the people that +1'd it... It's just not possible to be proud to live on this planet :(

HTTP/2 203

Yea i recently noticed some changes when watching 4k vids aswell, before it was ALWAYS laggy with low fps but now its all buttersmooth as it should be

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

Yea i recently noticed some changes when watching 4k vids aswell, before it was ALWAYS laggy with low fps but now its all buttersmooth as it should be

Uh...that has nothing to do with this.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

That's likely to be as a result of the switch to the HTML5 video player rather than flash (assuming you're on Chrome, I don't know whether other browsers have changed by default), but it's certainly not the higher frame rate of the video.

HTTP/2 203

Shame I don't have the bandwidth for 1080p 30FPS, let alone 60. :(

Maybe one day...

Youtube has started making some videos available in VP9. Couple that with what Xorbot said (doesn't require double the bandwidth for double the frames) and we might actually end up with 60FPS videos (in VP9) requiring less bandwidth than the current 30FPS videos (in VP8) does.

Youtube has started making some videos available in VP9. Couple that with what Xorbot said (doesn't require double the bandwidth for double the frames) and we might actually end up with 60FPS videos (in VP9) requiring less bandwidth than the current 30FPS videos (in VP8) does.

Video compression helps in this case.  Although the 60 FPS version will be larger, it won't be 2x the size.  When video gets compressed, it has largely to do with what the previous frame's contents were and how far it is from the last key frame.  So it may not be as bad as you think on your Internets.

Haha try 4mbps! I can't even watch at 1080p reliably.

Pilates