Ubisoft: DRM Can't Stop Piracy

TwistedDictator
The Witcher developer CD Projekt Red is not the only gaming company that thinks DRM is an ineffective way to stop piracy on PC. Assassin's Creed and Far Cry publisher Ubisoft believes any game can be cracked with enough time and effort, so developers should instead focus on making games that people actually want to pay for.

Source

I dont belive them, they are a bunch of lairs lol!  At least they know they can't deliver games worth paying for lol

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Then why the hell are they loading Uplay with it?

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Well, it's about time they realized that. Ubi has one of the worst records considering DRM. 

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

So..you getting rid of Uplay finally, or what?

"We were wrong about DRM and piracy" *adds more layers of DRM to Uplay*

*Edit, just read the article, you should probably add these two paragraphs to your OP.

To fight piracy, Early explained that Ubisoft needs to not only focus on making better, more compelling games, but also ensure that these games have more online services (which are not available to pirates) baked into them.

"I think it's much more important for us to focus on making a great game and delivering good services. The reality is, the more service there is in a game, pirates don't get that," Early said. "So when it's a good game and there's good services around it, you're incentivized to not pirate the game to get the full experience."

LOL. Yeah sure, pirates WILL figure out a way to do just that.

Ubisoft, I swear, you're getting more idiotic every single time you open your mouthes.

WTF? They've been riding the drm horse all along until now, does this mean we're finally getting drm free games from aaa devs again? OP, it's true, DRM is absolutely and utterly useless and only hurts those who pay for the game.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Funny, coming from ubisoft where the only way to get a smooth experience is to pirate or otherwise crack their games.

I'm not sure how many games I legitimately own that prompt for a uplay login/exclusivity, but when they do, I quickly search for methods around it.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I really hope they actually go CD Projekt RED's route. Uplay needs to die as it's ineffective and only gets in the way of actual paying customers. I have both a pirated and paid version of ACIV (I pirated it to make sure it's actually decent enough to pay for and since it was I ended up buying it) and it's much less work to run the pirated version then the legit game because of Uplay.

Although that being said DRM in the forms of multiplayer is REALLY effective. That sort of DRM really annoys me as it harms a legit consumer (Usually no LAN support as that can be exploited by pirates) and requires houses with siblings to buy multiple copies of a game. To get the full effect of ACV I will have to buy 2 copies of that game so I can play with my brother.  Star Citizen is the only exception that I have for such practices.

then why does Anno 2070 still have Securom?! I do not dare to install it because I format my PC often.

Normally I don't complain about things like Uplay but Uplay really is a problem. Almost as bad as Xbox Games Live, or whatever the hell that trash is called. Makes playing Dark Souls a pain in the ass...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

LOL. Yeah sure, pirates WILL figure out a way to do just that.

Ubisoft, I swear, you're getting more idiotic every single time you open your mouthes.

Pirating online games sucks as getting the multiplayer to work properly is a pain if at all possible... So, I can agree with that point...If they make all their games with a GOOD online aspect that people actually want to play then people will be encourage to pay for those games. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

While their DRM can't stop piracy, it certainly stops you from enjoying the game.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

i will believe them once i don't need uplay to load up on of their games

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

The only problem I have with uPlay, and with Origin as well, is that they should not be implemented when there is already another DRM in place. When I buy a game on Steam it shouldn't also have uPlay or Origin on it, Steam's DRM is enough.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Most people would assume they said this as a prelude to announcing DRM free stuff but I think it's the opposite: They are making this statement as a prelude to an announcement like "Ok from now on EVERYTHING we make for the PC it's going to be always online DRM"

"I think it's much more important for us to focus on making a great game and delivering good services. The reality is, the more service there is in a game, pirates don't get that," Early said. "So when it's a good game and there's good services around it, you're incentivized to not pirate the game to get the full experience."

Hint: those "good services"? They will say that it requires you to be online constantly or some other shit like that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

"We know DRM can't stop piracy, we just do it because fuck you."

Ubisoft, 2014

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

You people don't understand the bootleg game market and how many times more powerful it is than the regular one.

Pirating online games sucks as getting the multiplayer to work properly is a pain if at all possible... So, I can agree with that point...If they make all their games with a GOOD online aspect that people actually want to play then people will be encourage to pay for those games. 

Personally I hate multiplayer in a lot of games, mainly because it sucks. Watch_Dogs' multiplayer was so lackluster I can't believe it, when they introduced MP into Assassin's Creed it put me off the game(I still haven't played Revelations, AC3, or AC4 because of it). Some games should be MP only, like CoD and BF, because that's what they do best(except BF:BC, those were really fun and funny singleplayer stories).

They are only forcing more restrictions on the paying customer. Piracy will find a way around this, no matter what Ubisoft tries to implement, and they even said that themselves in the article! They know people are going to find a way around this and yet they continue to persist! This might be the fall of Ubisoft, I really wonder what this company is going to look like when The Division release next year...

Maybe if they didn't jack up the prices like crazy in countries like Australia compared to the US we wouldn't have to pirate -_-

They are only forcing more restrictions on the paying customer. Piracy will find a way around this, no matter what Ubisoft tries to implement, and they even said that themselves in the article! They know people are going to find a way around this and yet they continue to persist! This might be the fall of Ubisoft, I really wonder what this company is going to look like when The Division release next year...

Yeah, well....If I was a game dev I would take a difference approach. Most people who pirate games/video/etc... aren't likely to buy the content in the first place. People who pirate mainly fall into one of two categories, the first who just don't want to spend the money and never will buy it, and the second who will pirate a game--and if they think its worth the money then buy it to support the dev on a job well done. 

Also, no matter how much you lock something down (see iOS) there will always, ALWAYS be some way around it, so why bother? Why not try and let it benefit you....Either release a crack yourself with a miner built in that way the dev can get some of a kick back, or make it so any game thats launched outside of its launcher (steam/uPlay/origin) can NOT utilize 100% of the computers power--thus giving a good reason to buy it without causing users a whole lot of hell trying to launch it.... The only issue comes if you want to play offline....

Maybe if they didn't jack up the prices like crazy in countries like Australia compared to the US we wouldn't have to pirate  -_-

Blame your government for imposing ridiculous taxes. 

On that note....are online--virtual--items taxed with an import tax? (just curious) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Get rid of uplay and maybe you will get more sales. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Yea yea anyone can say those lines, it matters what they put in the game.

And i couldnt care less DRM or not their games SUCK.WatchDog ASBF and all their latest games,lack soul they only have fancy trailers where they highlight something thats better than ingame experience,ill stick to Action MMORPG/RPG.

WD looks boring as hell,runing around doing scripted events,no skills no thinking poor graphics and optimization.Ive seen WD gameplay and if this is what they mean by "cinematic experience" games it makes me laugh its pathetic the storytelling and the mood is fail, nail fail.

Witcher 3,Archeage,KingdomUnderFire2,BlackDesert all i have to say,everything else they should keep on consoles.Its shamefull when they release one of those games on PC i kinda feel insulted even if i dont play them and dont care.

i never bought an ubisoft game to be clearly honest but i'm playing their games through the exact way that deserves to be played! ;)

Blame your government for imposing ridiculous taxes.

On that note....are online--virtual--items taxed with an import tax? (just curious)

I have no idea I'm pretty sure we don't or it's included in the price.