STEAM SUMMER SALE 2014 (Sale over, open discussion)

Askew
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Please note this is the thread for all SSS content.

Again very interesting post.

Today is megablue, I can only conclude that valve are controlling this, because even if people are manipulating one team to win, how are they so perfectly balancing the scores of all the other teams?

I try. That's the other thing though, if Valve wanted to rig it, I imagine they would do so in a way that isn't obvious. They have that kind of power and resources, and it would also mean more for their profits if they did do it. 

That's another bit of the "it's not logical". Plus, if it were ever leaked through an employee document that it were rigged later on after it's over, that would just give them bad PR. 

So it's too perfect to be player rigged, but it's not rigged in a way that makes logical sense for Valve either. *shrugs* For me, that defaults it to the most likely (even if it's unlikely) conclusion: It's player rigged by someone with the money to make it this perfect. 

In fact, there was a reddit post detailing with how each team should win twice and in what order, and so far, it's following that exactly. So I figure either a lot of players are getting together to make it happen by jumping teams and stealing points, or a single very wealthy person is doing it all on his own (dat money tho'). 

Here is the post. Copy/pasted:

Operation EWT! Green team will be crafting everything today and on thursday, try to spread this around.

1. 19th - PURPLE - Thursday
  2. 20th - RED - Friday
  3. 21st - GREEN - Saturday
  4. 22nd - PINK - Sunday
  5. 23rd - BLUE - Monday
  6. 24th - PURPLE - Tuesday
  7. 25th - RED - Wednesday
  8. 26th - GREEN - Thursday
  9. 27th - PINK - Friday
  10. 28th - BLUE - Saturday

So yeah. Crowd-sourcing is powerful. Someone else mentioned on that thread that Valve probably won't have another competition again like this because of the rigging, and I agree. What's the point of a competition if this is how this goes?

The "it isn't logical" part with this is that even after the pre-determined team is winning by a landslide, the points don't stop. Their score just keeps going higher, faster. That doesn't make sense to me. You'd think everyone would stop caring once they were so far ahead that it didn't matter. 

But I guess it's reddit. Expect the unexpected.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Expect the unexpected.

I have given thought to the possibility that large numbers of people have simply stopped participating actively because of the situation, and that's allowing the team with all the actives on to spank the others even more. Perhaps Valve's influence is balancing out the remaining teams to try and encourage one of them to take on the powerhouse without having to worry about competing with any other teams being ahead of them.

IDK, it's a mystery, if I were rich I wouldn't be on Steam trying to catch 'em all I'd be too busy gaming on my awesome setup or out enjoying life, and if I were Gaben this whole charade would displease me and I just wouldn't do it again.

I have given thought to the possibility that large numbers of people have simply stopped participating actively because of the situation, and that's allowing the team with all the actives on to spank the others even more. Perhaps Valve's influence is balancing out the remaining teams to try and encourage one of them to take on the powerhouse without having to worry about competing with any other teams being ahead of them.

IDK, it's a mystery, if I were rich I wouldn't be on Steam trying to catch 'em all I'd be too busy gaming on my awaesome setup or out enjoying life, and if I were Gaben this whole charade would displease me and I just wouldn't do it again.

Here's a link to the tokens that made the undercutting and team swapping possible.

That actually makes sense now. One team is always pwning thanks to player rigging, while Valve is trying to give the others a chance to defeat them (like Red tried to do to Purple on Day 2). Very interesting indeed.

Edit: In actual sale news, I am buying many of those <$1 games. Some of them actually look like they are worth more than $1, and I want to collect more trading cards, games, and just things in general. :D

I'll post a list to show which ones I think are worth buying at all (after reading reviews, metascores, and such). Note that I skip all point and click. I hate that game genre personally.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I hope that baseball sim OOTP 15 goes on sale by winning the Community Choice vote ......

Eh but then again I got to find the money to buy it.  :S

I also hate how the game still uses archaic ways to do online gaming so not sure if I want to support this in any way.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Eh once again crafted a badge and got nothing worth some real Steam $$$$. :S

Still with this crafting I was able to reach level 7!

That actually makes sense now. One team is always pwning thanks to player rigging, while Valve is trying to give the others a chance to defeat them (like Red tried to do to Purple on Day 2). Very interesting indeed.

I have to admit I'm going off the topic now, I'll enjoy to hear an explanation of these events after the fact, but for now I'm pretty much done trying to assess them as they take place.

I'll post a list to show which ones I think are worth buying at all (after reading reviews, metascores, and such). Note that I skip all point and click. I hate that game genre personally.

I look forward to reading your list, maybe I'll make some purchases as a result.

Yay! I got another badge created!

Eh but once again I end up with a horrible main item from it.  :(

... but .... I hit level 8!

Crossing fingers for a Devil may cry, portals 2 and cs:go 75% discount ;P

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

It says those team tokens are common.  I haven't gotten one yet having crafted three Steam Summer Sale 2014 badges.  Has anyone on LTT gotten one?

Even Telltale's point and click games? (They're not traditional point and clicks, but still) D:

I just checked my PayPal account and it looks like I need to stop. Its funny how fast dollar games add up.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

Insta-buys (imo):

Metro: Last Light - Complete Edition

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Bastion

Darksiders II: Death Lives

@Askew, working on my list now. Gonna be a bit. I like making high quality things.

Even Telltale's point and click games? (They're not traditional point and clicks, but still) D:

Haven't played them yet. Will try them as an exception since they are so praised. I just find them utterly boring.

† Christian Member †

Haven't played them yet. Will try them as an exception since they are so praised. I just find them utterly boring.

Cool, I've no problem waiting at all. :)

Telltale's games, think of them more as a high quality narrative story that is nicely animated and you can control to a degree rather than a game, if you do this then they make a lot more sense.

They're not point and clicks, they're not all QTE reels, they are their own kind of experience.

I recommend The Wolf Among Us.

NSFW.

To be fair anyone who doesn't know this is not safe for work, Probably isn't old enough to be working in the first place.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

To be fair anyone who doesn't know this is not safe for work, Probably isn't old enough to be working in the first place.

Fun fact: The guy who did that is a real Marine training instructor and wrote a list of insults to use in the audition for the part in the movie even though he originally was just an advisor.

† Christian Member †

Fun fact: The guy who did that is a real Marine training instructor and wrote a list of insults to use in the audition for the part in the movie.

Both they, and his performance are exceptional.

COD Ghosts and Murdered Soul Suspect are very overpriced. Soul Suspect has been as low as £10 elsewhere but its over £20 on the current sale....

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Oh by the way, not sure if anyone noticed this but..;

8Lljqou.png

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

So, I finally got Shadow Warrior. And that's why you always wait, the game was 70% off from the very beginning, but now the discount is even better. Also, it's an amazing game if you want a first person Action/Shooter game with really good writing and humour (you can find stuff like 2D pixel-art anime girls in a bathtub or see that the boundary of the level is a curtain, etc.) I can't wait to play it!

Other really good deals right now: Fallout New Vegas, Metro Last Light, Brothers, Nidhogg (if it only was a bit cheaper.....) and Darksiders 2.

Next community deal should be nice as well, Fun - Great Soundtrack seems like the way to go.

60 random people out of over 400,000...... No.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Oh by the way, not sure if anyone noticed this but..;

The movement looks so ridiculous....... I can't take this summer adventure thing seriously anymore. There have to be bots/trading algorithms involved in this, I can't really explain what's happening otherwise. But, why would anyone do that? I really don't see the point in doing so.