STEAM SUMMER SALE 2014 (Sale over, open discussion)

Askew
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Please note this is the thread for all SSS content.

My favourite FFs are probably.

VII

VIII

IX

X

I have not played any of the ones prior to 7 *my anus is prepared*

Never mention which Final Fantasy game you think is the best and which is the worst. The argument will never end. The worst is Final Fantasy 2 BTW.

I gave my list earlier. And I agree. :P *here it comes*

I don't have to read the wiki to grasp the story of advent children, I watched it a dozen times at least and even imported the complete edition when it finally got a release with subtitles. I really love this movie, but saying that it is story heavy is just not true. The animation and the fights were absolutely amazing, it expanded the lore of FF VII even further but the story was pretty far-fetched. I actually like the new characters that they introduced and what they stand for, but we saw absolutely zero character development in Cloud (as always) which was a missed opportunity.

Hmm, my list would be (using the original japanese titles to avoid confusion):

Final Fantasy

VII + VIII

XIII + XIII-2 + XIII Lightining Returns (seriously, they got better and better and lightning returns is amazing)

VI (because Kefka)

IX

II + III

IV + V

X

XII

I'm not counting the MMOs, but FF XIV is actually really good.

Ah, there it is. I figured we were defining things differently. I would consider lore equivalent to story. Because backstory is story and to me, lore is basically the same thing.

Ya know what story I find far-fetched? An alien trying to use a planet as it's spaceship to travel across the universe. Or planet's having their own lifeforce. I'm just saying. It uses FFVII as a basis for what it does/says. Trying not to spoil the movie (not the game), but I don't find it far-fetched.

You didn't list Tactics. I am disappoint about XIII personally, but to each his (very strange) own. I agree on XIV. As an MMO, it's ok, but as an FF, it's pretty good with the lore and stuff. I'm not an MMO kind of guy, but I did beta test it some.

No probs, nothing wrong with talking about FF besides it is on topic, FF games are currently in the Steam sale!

The download is done now, I might watch it before bed tonight, who knows.

Speaking of FF (and another game that's on discount)

A friend of mine is super into FFXIV and he has been singing its praises since day one and unto this day, he is trying his hardest to talk me into playing it but I just don't get along with MMOs, I'm tempted to try it because it'll be cool to play together etc but I just know I'll get bored of it within hours...

Cool.

DANG. You have such uber fast internet. D: 

Good luck. I rather enjoyed it and I don't usually like MMO's. 

My favourite FFs are probably.

VII

VIII

IX

X

I have not played any of the ones prior to 7 *my anus is prepared*

All I ask is that you play Final Fantasy: Tactics at some point. I consider it a very good FF. I would just use an emulator personally. The newer versions (The one released on PSP for example) have fixes for bugs in the old game, but also change things for the worse imo. Just trust me on that. 

... Why does everyone list X so low. D: I loved that game.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Anyone else have difficulty with the site? I can't add or remove games to my cart or wishlist, and the site is overall incredibly slow. :(

@Askew

(your anus was not prepared enough!!!! lol)

You should go play FFVI and FFV (or, at least, Tactics!), please! Please! :o If you do: not the VI iOS port. Start with the PSX copy or the PSX port. GBA version is great, but they removed the "adult" things though the translation makes up for it. Though if you can the SNES experience is the best because of the sound quality and playing on one of the coolest controllers ever.

Also, I loved IX and X, so +1! I thought they were among the best titles. I might as well...

VI - V (they are twins to me, shuddahp)

XII

X (yes...even X-2--sorry)

IX

VIII

IV

VII

III

II

I

I agree that the sequels/prequels were not nearly as good as the game (though Crisis Core was OK and Dirge of Cerberus was EPIC for what it was, not comparing it to FFVII), but I'm not sure what you mean. Just playing FFVII, and nothing else, I would assume there was a love triangle. I assume we are talking about the same love triangle.

I agree.

Dirge of Cerberus was probably the best thing to come off of FFVII. Crisis Core changed way too much, making it less enjoyable for violating the story of FFVII--because the story of the characters is equally important. As for the LT, referring to the whole "Who does Cloud love?" thing. I never saw a LT, I just saw the commercials (from many countries making it pretty clear) and saw what I saw in the game and then I left it there. :lol:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Ya know what story I find far-fetched? An alien trying to use a planet as it's spaceship to travel across the universe. Or planet's having their own lifeforce. I'm just saying. It uses FFVII as a basis for what it does/says. Trying not to spoil the movie (not the game), but I don't find it far-fetched.

Yes it's far fetched, but to be fair the word 'fantasy' is in the title! :P

To be fairer I also see throwing fireballs and lightning out of one's hands and summoning monsters to be far fetched too, in fact pretty much everything is far fetched in FF games even the characters' hair!

... Why does everyone list X so low. D: I loved that game.

I definitely liked the game, but I always preferred the FF without VO, I intensely disliked the English voice of Tidus, matter of fact I dislike the character of Tidus, those things just kind of nibbled at my experience throughout.

I can however appreciate the game, I played to completion on my PS2 and it is a great experience despite my niggles.

One of my friends believe it or not spent literally 100s of hours just playing Blitzball games, he became addicted to the part of the game I enjoyed the very least.. :wacko:

DANG. You have such uber fast internet. D:

100Mb down, but anyways that file was under 2GB with lots of seeds.

If it's any consolation my upload speed is only 6Mb, which we can all agree, blows.

Also, I loved IX and X, so +1! I thought they were among the best titles. I might as well...

VI - V (they are twins to me, shuddahp)

XII

X (yes...even X-2--sorry)

IX

VIII

IV

VII

III

II

I

Dirge of Cerberus was probably the best thing to come off of FFVII. Crisis Core changed way too much, making it less enjoyable for violating the story of FFVII--because the story of the characters is equally important. As for the LT, referring to the whole "Who does Cloud love?" thing. I never saw a LT, I just saw the commercials (from many countries making it pretty clear) and saw what I saw in the game and then I left it there. :lol:

YEEEAAAH!

I honestly got terribly bored with XII. I made it to the town/area before the final boss fight. Never finished it. Just didn't care enough at that point.

You have it in reverse order. D: lol The reason I put FFI as my favorite is because of it's story. Of all the Final Fantasies, I consider it's story to be the best story (Them are fightin' words.)

I'm not sure which is better personally between DoC & FFVII. Yeah CC changed way too much, but *shrugs*. It's still a very good story imo. A weird one now (even more so than before), but I still enjoyed it. I'd have probably preferred they not changed it so much, but eh.

I'm just hoping FFXV changes things for the better. I don't like FF as it has currently been. XI-XIV have been a major disappointment to me. XIV because it's an MMO. It's good for what it is, as I said, but I want a singleplayer JRPG that I can love. XIV isn't that.

Yes it's far fetched, but to be fair the word 'fantasy' is in the title! :P

To be fair I also see throwing fireballs and lightning out of one's hands and summoning monsters to be far fetched too, in fact pretty much everything is far fetched in FF games even the characters' hair! 

I definitely liked the game, but I always preferred the FF without VO, I intensely disliked the English voice of Tidus, matter of fact I dislike the character of Tidus, those things just kind of nibbled at my experience throughout.

I can however appreciate the game, I played to completion on my PS2 and it is a great experience despite my niggles.

One of my friends believe it or not spend literally 100s of hours just playing Blitzball games, he became addicted to the part of the game I enjoyed the very least.. :wacko:

100Mb down, but anyways that file was under 2GB with lots of seeds.

If it's any consolation my upload speed is only 6Mb, which we can all agree, blows.

Indeed. :P

Hehehe, I kind of agree to an extent. Many people hate him. To be perfectly honest, I don't know why though. He never bothered me. The one scene that I cringed was always the one it was intended to be cringeworthy (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA).

I actually can understand that. I spent over 40 hours playing Blitzball tournaments in my original playthroughs. The game was fun. It was gambling at it's finest. 

Epic. Your Upload is my Download.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Your Upload is my Download.

Ok now I feel bad for mentioning my completed download. :mellow:

YOUR INTERNET SUCKS ASS BRO

Is web really like that in Texas? Do you guys have Google Fiber coming?

I normally make a point of not laughing at Americans with crappy internet, because as soon as the Fiber hammer of Thor's majesty that is GFiber comes knocking at their door my internet will look like chewing gum on the sidewalk to them...

-snip-

It's cool bro. I understand. 

Where I live, there is 1 carrier (Century Link) that offers plans for 0.5, 1, 3, & 6 Mbps down, all with 0.75-1 Mbps up. I have 6 Mbps down/0.75 Mbps up and I pay between $40-$50 a month. F*** me right? I just want good internet to host my Minecraft server, but nooo. 

The only positives are that there is no bandwidth cap, and they don't care about torrents. I've never gotten an email or warning about anything. 

Google Fiber is coming to Austin soon. I live 2+ hours away (Texas is a small country basically).

† Christian Member †

You should go play FFVI and FFV (or, at least, Tactics!), please! Please! :o

There is 'adult' stuff in an FF game? I am surprised... Me_Gusta_thumb_tiny.jpg

OK OK I'm sure I can rustle up the PSX version of Tactics, is that good enough?

-snip-

That's perfect. Have you ever heard of or played the Disgaea series? Or La Paucelle Tactics? Or Makai Kingdom?

Also, if you ever get a chance, play the original Final Fantasy. It was so great. 

† Christian Member †

Where I live, there is 1 carrier

Now there lies the issue, at least as far as I can fathom, do they offer a heinously expensive 'business line' that gives you more but is like $200 a month?

I know a guy over in South Carolina who is in that exact situation with his carrier.

That's perfect. Have you ever heard of or played the Disgaea series? Or La Paucelle Tactics? Or Makai Kingdom?

Also, if you ever get a chance, play the original Final Fantasy. It was so great. 

I have heard of Disgaea, but I'll have to own up to never having heard of the other two, I do still own a PS2 system (plus obviously an emulator) so tracking down of these games is possible if it's worth it.

To be honest I don't have massive experience with JRPGs outside of FF titles (and Suikoden II) so if it's not comparable to those in terms of its core gameplay elements then it's going to be new for me.

There is 'adult' stuff in an FF game? I am surprised... Me_Gusta_thumb_tiny.jpg

OK OK I'm sure I can rustle up the PSX version of Tactics, is that good enough?

I didn't really consider it adult, but in the GBA version of VI a (SPOILER ALERT) "torture" scene got removed.

That's a start...but pick up FFVI or V as soon as you can! :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I didn't really consider it adult, but in the GBA version of VI a (SPOILER ALERT) "torture" scene got removed.

That's a start...but pick up FFVI or V as soon as you can! :)

Actually I think I have a PSX copy of FFVI laying around somewhere, I have various cupboards containing various old things I've never played. (and some I have, like the old big cardboard box PC games, there is Escape from Monkey Island and the original Deus Ex in there somewhere I think)

Oh, tangent time, if you have not played Escape from Monkey Island, forthwith and immediately, thou shalt play this game!

Now there lies the issue, at least as far as I can fathom, do they offer a heinously expensive 'business line' that gives you more but is like $200 a month?

I know a guy over in South Carolina who is in that exact situation with his carrier.

Not sure. Haven't asked. Couldn't afford it if they did though. Apparently the hub in the town over is in shambles and has been for a while. Thus the terrible speeds and such. Not sure why.

I have heard of Disgaea, but I'll have to own up to never having heard of the other two, I do still own a PS2 system (plus obviously an emulator) so tracking down of these games is possible if it's worth it.

To be honest I don't have massive experience with JRPGs outside of FF titles (and Suikoden II) so if it's not comparable to those in terms of its core gameplay elements then it's going to be new for me.

Umm... They are like Tactics. So play Tactics first, then decide. 

La Paucelle Tactics came before Makai Kingdom which came before Disgaea. You can actually get some characters as bonus characters in Disgaea from both Makai Kingdom and La Paucelle Tactics, so same universe basically. Both of those are PS2 games while Disgaea 1 & 2 were.

Turn based strategy JRPGs. I prefer them over the other FF's battle systems personally. 

Example:

fft-batalla.jpg

Battle procession:

Person #1 with fastest speed goes first. 

Person #1 moves.

Person #1 attacks/defends/uses item/magic/etc

Person #2 with 2nd fastest speed goes second.

Etc.

There are even mods for the game where people made their own battle scenarios. Pretty epic. In fact, you can download one to patch the PSX version with some of the PSP version's fixes. Here: http://ffhacktics.com/about.php If you decide you enjoy the game, it's worth it imo.

Oh, tangent time, if you have not played Escape from Monkey Island, forthwith and immediately, thou shalt play this game!

I believe I remember something to do with it. Probably haven't. Will try ASAP.

† Christian Member †

Actually I think I have a PSX copy of FFVI laying around somewhere, I have various cupboards containing various old things I've never played. (and some I have, like the old big cardboard box PC games, there is Escape from Monkey Island and the original Deus Ex in there somewhere I think)

Wait, I just remembered. VII had adult themes too. I mean the whole hooker palace thing? Totally adult.

I hope you find a copy lying around (if you have VI, you have V--sold as an "anthology")! :)

I have not played it, but I have heard great things about it. I just never got around to getting it...

They are like Tactics. So play Tactics first, then decide.

I believe I remember something to do with it. Probably haven't. Will try ASAP.

It's a 3D adventure game from LucasArts, and it's one of their best.

Wait, I just remembered. VII had adult themes too. I mean the whole hooker palace thing? Totally adult.

I hope you find a copy lying around (if you have VI, you have V--sold as an "anthology")! :)

I have not played it, but I have heard great things about it. I just never got around to getting it...

Lol yeah FFVII had it's colourful stuff, I rather enjoyed it TBH.

As above for EFMI. :)

All this talk of Final Fantasy brings back memories.... :D

Indeed. It really bothered me that you could only put 4 characters in for names. Riku worked. (look at the Black Belt) Sora worked. (look at the Fighter) Yuna worked. (look at the White Mage) Kairi didn't. (Black Mage even if it doesn't fit) D: Hate me if you want to, love me if you can.

† Christian Member †

So, does anyone know if you can earn Summer Cards (not even through purchase?) if you aren't level 10? I wish I could snap my fingers and turn my "5" into a "10". :rolleyes:

@Flaming Brain

I loved those graphics. They feel so adventurous and fun. Also, old FF titles. :wub:

Aaaand another bad flash/community sale (at least for me). The only interesting thing would be GTA IV, but I'm waiting for V (which has way better characters anyway). Meh.

I can't see the fourth candidate on the community choice again. :(

I can see these guys but that last spot is empty:

Addictive - Multiplayer
capsule_184x69.jpg?t=1399493795
capsule_184x69.jpg?t=1402600628
capsule_184x69.jpg?t=1402709567
Vote

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition.

I can actually buy that from a local digital retailer that gives out Steam keys for $22.5 but I suspect I will be paying much more compared to this.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I can actually buy that from a local digital retailer that gives out Steam keys for $22.5 but I suspect I will be paying much more compared to this.

Probably around double.

I can't see the fourth candidate on the community choice again. :(

I can see these guys but that last spot is empty:

This keeps happening to me. I just hover over the slot and it displays the title with a description to the right.

† Christian Member †