STEAM SUMMER SALE 2014 (Sale over, open discussion)

Askew
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Please note this is the thread for all SSS content.

It is Dragon Age: Origins

Thank you for that. Actually, Dragon Age: Origins IS available in my region but the one that I can't see is the "Ultimate Edition" Yes, the base game is fine but not the Ultimate Edition.

And this makes sense because... No. It doesn't make any sense.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I hate when there is no one big package that gathers all the content. Tomb Raider is ridiculous. It has 26 DLCs, but the Game of the Year Edition only comes with 23 of them. But the king of that ridiculous practice is Borderlands with billion DLCs that no edition fully covers.

The three missing from the GOTY edition are just early skill and weapon customization grabs. Borderlands 2's DLC is like 4 expansions and probably fifty cosmetic stuff. Those I don't care for. Expansions and story add-ons? Then yes, I do.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Thank you for that. Actually, Dragon Age: Origins IS available in my region but the one that I can't see is the "Ultimate Edition" Yes, the base game is fine but not the Ultimate Edition.

And this makes sense because... No. It doesn't make any sense.

Dragon Age: Origins is the game I'm currently playing, I have the retail box version of the Ultimate Edition, and I decided the other day to see if the key would activate on Origin and amazingly I did, so now I have the game installed on Origin and am playing it that way.

Just a heads up, Final Fantasy VII and VIII are both $4.07. I know FFVII was listed earlier when the dailies changed for a minute, but FFVIII wasn't. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

e9X30kF.png

Great deals. So great that Steam glitched it up.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Lol, too bad you can't buy it at that price

2z3oy8k.jpg

Just a heads up, Final Fantasy VII and VIII are both $4.07. I know FFVII was listed earlier when the dailies changed for a minute, but FFVIII wasn't. 

I bought FFVII when it came out, and have not played it, I fear the same fate would fall upon VIII if I were to buy it.

They were awesome on PSX and are still 2 of my favourite games of all time, but when I try to play it now I just don't have the patience... What has modern gaming done to me?

Mass Effect @ 5$. :wub:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I bought FFVII when it came out, and have not played it, I fear the same fate would fall upon VIII if I were to buy it.

They were awesome on PSX and are still 2 of my favourite games of all time, but when I try to play it now I just don't have the patience... What has modern gaming done to me?

FF VII was revolutionary at the time, but it has aged very poorly (the fate of every early 3D game to be honest). It's still one of my favourite FF games though, and FF VIII is also brilliant. If I didn't already own them for PS 1 and on PSN I would maybe get them on this sale.

Mass Effect @ 5$. :wub:

Probably my favourite game series, I have played all 3 games multiple times including all the DLC.

I am a Mass Effect fiend, it's rather embarrassing actually but if they release an HD collection on the PS4 I will be one of the idiots who buys it because they never bothered to implement native 360 controls for the PC version.

*cries*

FF VII was revolutionary at the time, but it has aged very poorly (the fate of every early 3D game to be honest). It's still one of my favourite FF games though, and FF VIII is also brilliant. If I didn't already own them for PS 1 and on PSN I would maybe get them on this sale.

FF7 is the one remake I want to happen more than ever, I can still go and play MGS1 on my PSX that still sits under my TV and enjoy it just as the day it came out, but not old FF games.

It's more the tedium of the combat system and training/materia/junctioning and the long drawn out unskippable scenes in the games that I know are coming and I have to sit through that put me off.

The story of FF7 is wondrous, if there was a movie of it I'd watch it.

The same for me. I own two copies on the PS1, and one on PSN. And I agree about FFVIII, it is a brilliant game. :)

Probably my favourite game series, I have played all 3 games multiple times including all the DLC.

I am a Mass Effect fiend, it's rather embarrassing actually but if they release an HD collection on the PS4 I will be one of the idiots who buys it because they never bothered to implement native 360 controls for the PC version.

*cries*

I am also a Mass Effect fiend! I started with 3 a couple of months ago but instantly went out to purchase the other two...though it was on console and I own another ME3 on Origin. :lol:

Oooh, a HD collection of ME would be so awesome. :wub:  So not at all embarrassing!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

FF7 is the one remake I want to happen more than ever, I can still go and play MGS1 on my PSX that still sits under my TV and enjoy it just as the day it came out, but not old FF games.

It's more the tedium of the combat system and training/materia/junctioning and the long drawn out unskippable scenes in the games that I know are coming and I have to sit through that put me off.

The Legend of Dragoons was released around the same time as FF7. I feel it was a superior JRPG in many ways. It may just be nostalgia, but I sincerely preferred it even though I did enjoy FFVII.

I should buy FFVII and FFIII, but I feel even $4 is too much for a game I can play on an emulator. $1-$3 would be preferred honestly. Plus I've already played all of the Final Fantasies (older ones anyway), so yeah. Not in a big hurry to spend money on them honestly.

Please tell me you've seen the following Askew. I know they aren't the story of FFVII specifically in movie form, but it's as close as we've got :P :

sqidsvlwjupkdpm37vc5murwetw.jpg

final-fantasy-vii-advent-children.11228.

To be perfectly honest, of the Final Fantasy games, my favorites go as such:

Final Fantasy (As in, literally the first one)

X

Tactics

IV

VII

The rest.

*cries*

I'll be honest, I own Mass Effect 1 & 2. I can't get into them. I just can't. I find games like that boring. So terribly boring. Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins, anything with the annoying interaction regarding NPCs where you choose what you say just drives me mad with boredom. I can't get into a story if all the interaction is in the game engine world.

Final Fantasy as an example is polar opposite. Clean cut scenes for story, gritty game engine for gameplay. I just can't do it. I've tried to beat ME1 at least 3 times and gotten far through sheer determination but I just can't do it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well, there is FF VII: advent children for the movie. It doesn't have too much story but pretty awesome fights. Also, if I remember correctly the PC version of FF VII doesn't require any grinding, because you basically have an "I WIN" button that wipes all enemies.

it was on console

I played all 3 on Xbox 360, and I bought all the DLC on Xbox 360, they didn't put the 360 controls over to PC and gave some ridiculous excuse like 'there was no time' or other drivel to the effect of 'we just don't care enough'.

Didn't stop me from enduring 30fps for what must be hundreds of hours of playtime and buying all their DLC, that's what happens when you love something you can just magically forget all the BS it puts you through I suppose.

I now own all 3 on PC, but I'm not down to buy the DLC again so I have pirated it all. :ph34r:

I've run through ME1 on PC, and I have to say that although the M/KB controls are far better for the shooting aspect, the RPG/walking around planets/the Citadel ect it just feels wrong and I find myself wanting to use a controller, I tried apps like Xpadder and other third party ways of getting 360 pad controls on the PC version but they just don't feel the same and the way you spin the response selection wheel in conversations is really slowed down and made awkward that way to the point it breaks my immersion in the dialogue.

I hope EA give all the DLC with the hopefully inevitable HD re release of the ME trilogy on 'next gen' consoles and don't try to BS us with charging for it again.

Well, there is FF VII: advent children for the movie. It doesn't have too much story but pretty awesome fights. Also, if I remember correctly the PC version of FF VII doesn't require any grinding, because you basically have an "I WIN" button that wipes all enemies.

I don't know what Advent Children you were watching but there was definitely story. Quite a bit of it in fact. Did you read the wiki for the things you missed?

Not as much as the game obviously, but it's a 2 hour long movie versus a 70+ hour long game. Can't really compare them like that.

† Christian Member †

Please tell me you've seen the following Askew. I know they aren't the story of FFVII specifically in movie form, but it's as close as we've got :P

No I have not seen these, I take it that's something I should change?

I'll be honest, I own Mass Effect 1 & 2. I can't get into them. I just can't. I find games like that boring. So terribly boring. Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins, anything with the annoying interaction regarding NPCs where you choose what you say just drives me mad with boredom. I can't get into a story if all the interaction is in the game engine world.

Final Fantasy as an example is polar opposite. Clean cut scenes for story, gritty game engine for gameplay. I just can't do it. I've tried to beat ME1 at least 3 times and gotten far through sheer determination but I just can't do it.

Gaming is a clear cut case of 'each to his own', there is such a huge amount of disparity and variety in gaming that I firmly believe it is impossible for one person to appreciate and enjoy all games as enjoyed by somebody else, even if given enough time to try each.

No I have not seen these, I take it that's something I should change?

Gaming is a clear cut case of 'each to his own', there is such a huge amount of disparity and variety in gaming that I firmly believe it is impossible for one person to appreciate and enjoy all games as enjoyed by somebody else, even if given enough time to try each.

Yes. Absolutely. 

Advent Children is after the end of FFVII and about the after effects of the end of the game. How each person deals with everything that happened (particularly Cloud). The CGI animation is amazing, the fights are epic, and the story is good (not great), but it's canon (so it's part of the FFVII story regardless).

Last Order, I haven't seen yet, but I know it's about what happens between the end of Crisis Core and FFVII and has decent animation for an anime movie. 

Edit: @Askew, those are the only FFVII FF movies sadly. Don't watch FF:Spirits Within unless you want a steaming pile of disappointment. I never watched the FF:Unlimited anime series, but it looked very meh. 

I agree. I just thought I'd enjoy it, but there's just something about these types of games that I don't get I suppose. I made it through Dragon Age Origins just because I liked the combat. ME1's combat was sort of boring because it was more so a strategy game than anything else. I know DA:Origins could be played that way, but I never did it. I felt like you couldn't play ME1 any other way though. 

Oh well. Maybe I'll come back one day and enjoy them. It's happened before.

† Christian Member †

FFVII was only good until all those horrible sequels (that changed everything) and the like came out, pandering to the crazy and hardcore fanatics who practically worship the "couples" from the game. Now it has been turned into rubbish to support a love triangle that was never actually supposed to be there. Poor FFVII. :(

People shouldn't buy VII/VIII on Steam if they already own them, especially on disk. They could pop it into their computer and play via an emulator for a far better experience and the same visuals (if not better) and not have to pay anything.

I played all 3 on Xbox 360, and I bought all the DLC on Xbox 360, they didn't put the 360 controls over to PC and gave some ridiculous excuse like 'there was no time' or other drivel to the effect of 'we just don't care enough'.

Didn't stop me from enduring 30fps for what must be hundreds of hours of playtime and buying all their DLC, that's what happens when you love something you can just magically forget all the BS it puts you through I suppose.

I now own all 3 on PC, but I'm not down to buy the DLC again so I have pirated it all. :ph34r:

I've run through ME1 on PC, and I have to say that although the M/KB controls are far better for the shooting aspect, the RPG/walking around planets/the Citadel ect it just feels wrong and I find myself wanting to use a controller, I tried apps like Xpadder and other third party ways of getting 360 pad controls on the PC version but they just don't feel the same and the way you spin the response selection wheel in conversations is really slowed down and made awkward that way to the point it breaks my immersion in the dialogue.

I hope EA give all the DLC with the hopefully inevitable HD re release of the ME trilogy on 'next gen' consoles and don't try to BS us with charging for it again.

I own them on Xbox 360 as well, though I really would have preferred PS3. Xpadder is pretty good but yea, there are some games that just feels weird/not the same. :wacko:   And definitely agree about the selection wheel!

And I have a feel a HD release will come some time after ME4 and if it doesn't include the DLC, it would be pretty lame. :(

Fucking Mass Effect... I wanted Cave Story.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

FFVII was only good until all those horrible sequels (that changed everything) and the like came out, pandering to the crazy and hardcore fanatics who practically worship the "couples" from the game. Now it has been turned into rubbish to support a love triangle that was never actually supposed to be there. Poor FFVII. :(

People shouldn't buy VII/VIII on Steam if they already own them, especially on disk. They could pop it into their computer and play via an emulator for a far better experience and the same visuals (if not better) and not have to pay anything.

I agree that the sequels/prequels were not nearly as good as the game (though Crisis Core was OK and Dirge of Cerberus was EPIC for what it was, not comparing it to FFVII), but I'm not sure what you mean. Just playing FFVII, and nothing else, I would assume there was a love triangle. I assume we are talking about the same love triangle.

I agree.

-snip-

100% worth it. 

Sorry if I'm talking too much about off-topic stuff. Final Fantasy is one of my favorite JRPG series, and since I've played everything from FF1 to FF13 (not the sequels for 13) skipping the MMO's but not the pre/sequels for every other game (Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, Tactics A2, etc etc), I like to talk about it a lot. 

I've noticed that's what always happens. FF makes people talkative. 

† Christian Member †

Never mention which Final Fantasy game you think is the best and which is the worst. The argument will never end. The worst is Final Fantasy 2 BTW.

I don't know what Advent Children you were watching but there was definitely story. Quite a bit of it in fact. Did you read the wiki for the things you missed?

Not as much as the game obviously, but it's a 2 hour long movie versus a 70+ hour long game. Can't really compare them like that.

I don't have to read the wiki to grasp the story of advent children, I watched it a dozen times at least and even imported the complete edition when it finally got a release with subtitles. I really love this movie, but saying that it is story heavy is just not true. The animation and the fights were absolutely amazing, it expanded the lore of FF VII even further but the story was pretty far-fetched. I actually like the new characters that they introduced and what they stand for, but we saw absolutely zero character development in Cloud (as always) which was a missed opportunity.

To be perfectly honest, of the Final Fantasy games, my favorites go as such:

Final Fantasy (As in, literally the first one)

X

Tactics

IV

VII

The rest.

Hmm, my list would be (using the original japanese titles to avoid confusion):

Final Fantasy

VII + VIII

XIII + XIII-2 + XIII Lightining Returns (seriously, they got better and better and lightning returns is amazing)

VI (because Kefka)

IX

II + III

IV + V

X

XII

I'm not counting the MMOs, but FF XIV is actually really good.

*I read your edit above*

No probs, nothing wrong with talking about FF besides it is on topic, FF games are currently in the Steam sale!

The download is done now, I might watch it before bed tonight, who knows.

Speaking of FF (and another game that's on discount)

A friend of mine is super into FFXIV and he has been singing its praises since day one and unto this day, he is trying his hardest to talk me into playing it but I just don't get along with MMOs, I'm tempted to try it because it'll be cool to play together etc but I just know I'll get bored of it within hours...