Origin Sale! Upto 70% Off! Shots Fired!

Assassin

*snip*

Gonna break this into pieces for the ease of understanding.

Steam is the superior PC platform by far. If you want to argue against that, go for it, but splitting it up like this is no different than console exclusives. It's just terrible and hurts the industry imo. 

Why should other people not be allowed to compete though?

The whole reason Origin is a thing isn't because they want to do what Steam does (give us a great platform to enjoy and play fairly cheap and easily accessible games with our friends). It's because of DRM. It's as simple as that really. If they really wanted it to be a great platform, it wouldn't be a requirement. Steam isn't a requirement for the games I buy on Steam. I can just run the .exes if I really don't want to use Steam.

Not so with Origin. Sure Valve games are built into Steam, but that's a given, and it is so because people like Steam. Whereas, I believe sincerely the opposite is true of Origin. People use it because they have to and EA actually make good AAA games (even if they are usually broken messes and gouge you with DLC, they are still enjoyable to play and AAA). In other words, the platform is locked down. That's anti-consumer imo.

You realise this is exactly how Steam started right? And as far as I can tell they're doing the same. Steam is hardcoded into Valve titles, and Origin is hardcoded into EA titles. Origin works exactly the same way, you can launch the games that Origin isn't hardcoded into from the .exe as well, however you don't know this because doing so is absolutely pointless (as well as the fact that most of the games you have on Origin is Origin-era EA releases).

There's a reason EA has been hated on quite a bit. And it isn't just fanboyism or over-exaggeration. They are a terrible gaming company relative to the other companies in the industry. They make good AAA games, but that is literally the only reason people buy their games aside from the fact that a lot of people buy their games already because they are big, well known, and cater to the largest demographic. Good = fun here. Not well coded, planned, or distributed. Just fun to play.

The reason that EA is being hated on is fanboyism and over-exaggeration. Yes they have very well had some issues in the past with "early" server shutdowns and similar (not to forget the fact that they gutted Westwood Studios, this in my opinion being their biggest crime). That's really about it. Everyone and their dog have been whining about Battlefield 4 issues but honestly I've not had a single one. Not one. Since the official release I have not had a single problem. That of course doesn't mean that other people haven't had problems, but the thing is, no one cares about the positive experiences anymore, all they care about is problems. I bet you 9 out of 10 people complaining about EA have absolutely no freaking idea why they're doing so, they just heard the cool Linus and Slick badmouthing them, and I'm confident the same goes for people complaining about BF4. (Now I left out day one DLC because frankly every AAA publisher is doing that these days)

Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means saying Origin is better than Steam, I'm just saying it's not terrible.

According to the small print, June the 16th

Thank you! I couldn't find it anywhere. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Just bought battlefield bad company 2 + vietnam, just to bring back the old days on xbox360. Loved that game so much!

I5-8600K - GTX 1080 - 16GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD

I want everything pink

I was just about to buy ME3, then I went to checkout the DLC for it to see what the final tally would be, and....DLC for it is not on Origin (at least not that I could find) would have to go through that bioware points nightmare.

553978.gif

@Hans Christian | Teri Let me sum it up for you.

As much as Valve is in this for the money, I can trust Valve to do something new and interesting every once in a while and maintain the status quo at other times. I can trust Valve to be supportive of communities. In short I can trust Valve sincerely.

I can only trust EA to fuck me over.

You bought dota 2?

Actually, I bought Dota 2. You had the option to do that when it was in BETA although you could also get it for free. I wanted to support the game.

You know games that you brought at some point hoping to play at some point but just hoarded it. I have 190+ games that are waiting to be played. some of them haven't even been launched. this is just  a snapshot:

dfasfdsa.JPG

Dude, what the hell are you playing instead of these

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

@Hans Christian | Teri Let me sum it up for you.

As much as Valve is in this for the money, I can trust Valve to do something new and interesting every once in a while and maintain the status quo at other times. I can trust Valve to be supportive of communities. In short I can trust Valve sincerely.

I can only trust EA to fuck me over.

Once again I have to ask, how exactly has EA fucked you over?

Dude, what the hell are you playing instead of these

Trying to finish these first :D

post-18995-0-67392900-1401759441_thumb.j

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Once again I have to ask, how exactly has EA fucked you over?

EA is an evil company. Not just bad, not just greedy but downright evil. You cannot ignore this just because you bought so many games from Origin and can't leave or you don't want Steam to be a monopoly.

It's 5 am I'm going to bed so I'll keep this short. Here is 2 examples of EA being evil:

1.You about the Madden series? That stupidly successful money machine? You know how EA made the game with by stealing the engine from Bethesda. First they promise to publish Bethesda's game then they back out then we get Madden built with Bethesda's work.

2. Do you remember Origin Software (guess what the name of Origin isn't original) EA filed frivolous lawsuits against them just to put them out of business. Trip Hawkings said it was just business like a fucking Bond villain.

This is how EA does business. They are evil.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Only reason why I have a huge backlog is because I play Dota 2 heaps. I'm working on The WItcher 2 which I've finally finished the first town after starting it last year.

Intel Core i7 930 // GIGABYTE X58-UD7 rev1 // Corsair Dominator 3x4GB // GPU MSI 7870 // Fractal Design R4 // 256GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro 1TB Samsung SpinPoint 3TB Seagate Barracuda  // Corsair 1000W // Dell 2713H // Vortex Poker II Ducky DK9008 // Logitech G400s // SteelSeries Qck+ DotA 2 Edition // Swan D1080-IV Audioengine A5+ Audioengine S8 // ASUS Xonar Essence STX - Albums http://imgur.com/a/wkJSM#2 // http://imgur.com/a/V2idF#0

I was just about to buy ME3, then I went to checkout the DLC for it to see what the final tally would be, and....DLC for it is not on Origin (at least not that I could find) would have to go through that bioware points nightmare.

You need to buy the game before you can view DLC. It's a way of preventing people from buying dlc without owning the game and then later on asking for a refund.

EDIT: I just realized that you can only pay with points. That's dumb...

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

You need to buy the game before you can view DLC. It's a way of preventing people from buying dlc without owning the game and then later on asking for a refund.

EDIT: I just realized that you can only pay with points. That's dumb...

Did you just buy ME3 and confirmed that?  I only ask because that was my suspicion, and didn't want a repeat of my experience with  (DA:O) + (DA:A) + [ (DLC*75%Value) x 9000 ] .  Cause that really chaped my @$$ last time,

If so then I should inform you that you are more than likely going to have spare points/money that's going to be left in EA/Biowares grubby hands...Forever.

Exactly. Because it's not Steam.

I don't want to have multiple libraries. I want to have one. I don't want my friends to either be split between platforms, or have to bother to friend me on each and every single one I have (Uplay comes into this too). I don't want it, because it's not Steam. 

Steam is the superior PC platform by far. If you want to argue against that, go for it, but splitting it up like this is no different than console exclusives. It's just terrible and hurts the industry imo.

The whole reason Origin is a thing isn't because they want to do what Steam does (give us a great platform to enjoy and play fairly cheap and easily accessible games with our friends). It's because of DRM. It's as simple as that really. If they really wanted it to be a great platform, it wouldn't be a requirement. Steam isn't a requirement for the games I buy on Steam. I can just run the .exes if I really don't want to use Steam.

Not so with Origin. Sure Valve games are built into Steam, but that's a given, and it is so because people like Steam. Whereas, I believe sincerely the opposite is true of Origin. People use it because they have to and EA actually make good AAA games (even if they are usually broken messes and gouge you with DLC, they are still enjoyable to play and AAA). In other words, the platform is locked down. That's anti-consumer imo. 

I don't see Origin's argument for not being terrible honestly. 

Don't get me wrong. Valve is a company who is out to make money like EA, but everything I've seen and read and heard about Gabe has told me he is the type of guy who wants to make money while making people happy. Rather than screwing them over a barrel as EA does regularly with the aid of Origin. 

There's a reason EA has been hated on quite a bit. And it isn't just fanboyism or over-exaggeration. They are a terrible gaming company relative to the other companies in the industry. They make good AAA games, but that is literally the only reason people buy their games aside from the fact that a lot of people buy their games already because they are big, well known, and cater to the largest demographic. Good = fun here. Not well coded, planned, or distributed. Just fun to play.

Origin hasn't cause me half the issues Steam has caused. Origin hasn't refunded me money (without me requesting it), then banned my account and accusing me of performing chargebacks. Origin hasn't put expensive items on the marketplace when i did not want to put them up (went to put a csgo case on the market, steam glitched out and put my knife up for the price of the case) and the close my support tickets without helping me. Origin hasn't forced me to wait up to a week to get support if there is an issue. Origin hasn't crashed every single time i want to load a game. Origin doesn't put old, shovelware on there store and claim that it is a "new release".

Valve may be good at making games, but frankly their software (yes, games are software, but i mean steam and you knew that already) and "customer support" ("What does that mean?" -Gabe Newell) sucks. If they were to employ more people to their customer support team, make a non-glitchy client and employ a QA system. I would agree with you 100%, but as it is, I refuse to say that Steam is miles ahead than Origin, it may be in sales, but in quality, no way.

PS: I'm not anti-steam, I just think that people give Origin way more crap than it deserves. I love steam's sales, and the games valve makes, I just think they need to get their priorities right, they should be focused on making a QA system and improving their customer support, not some stupid game streaming feature.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

This is good and all, but most of these games either don't interest me, or are too old, Steam has a better variety in sales, so Steam is still the best

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

EA is an evil company. Not just bad, not just greedy but downright evil. You cannot ignore this just because you bought so many games from Origin and can't leave or you don't want Steam to be a monopoly.

It's 5 am I'm going to bed so I'll keep this short. Here is 2 examples of EA being evil:

1.You about the Madden series? That stupidly successful money machine? You know how EA made the game with by stealing the engine from Bethesda. First they promise to publish Bethesda's game then they back out then we get Madden built with Bethesda's work.

2. Do you remember Origin Software (guess what the name of Origin isn't original) EA filed frivolous lawsuits against them just to put them out of business. Trip Hawkings said it was just business like a fucking Bond villain.

This is how EA does business. They are evil.

These are both incidents that happened literally more than a generation ago (Not a console generation, a human generation). Got anything from the modern time or do you really want to be the guy who never forgives and never forgets? (PS being that guy is not only not cool, but also incredibly stupid)

Thank you for posting, I got Dead Space 3 for me and my friend and now we can do co op together :) I'll have to sell my PS3 copy now...

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

I can finally get dragon age II. I need to finish it before inquisition comes out.

Don't expect to much of it, just go into it with an open mind.

Plants vs zombies doesn't work for me, it asks for an activation key. -_-*

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

WOW

because nobody has owned or played these games YEARS AGO

still a good sale though :P pick up some gems that passed you by

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

More like "70% off games I've already played"

Nice try origin.  Your sales won't make you any less terrible.

ksi_rape_face-72173.gif

It's more than "just DRM". Several developers connected to EA, especially DICE, weren't satisfied with the way Steam handled patches and felt less connected to their audience. Pushing through patches used to be a hassle as it would have to be sent to Valve where it then would take several days for Valve to actually update the clients. With Origin, they made it easy to do patching, like a direct patch way to the customers' clients.

You forgot the part where they wanted to have micro transactions Steam didn't allow that. That is why Dead Space moved to Origin when the micro transactions came.

Did you just buy ME3 and confirmed that?  I only ask because that was my suspicion, and didn't want a repeat of my experience with  (DA:O) + (DA:A) + [ (DLC*75%Value) x 9000 ] .  Cause that really chaped my @$$ last time,

If so then I should inform you that you are more than likely going to have spare points/money that's going to be left in EA/Biowares grubby hands...Forever.

I actually own Mass Effect 3. Yes you do have to buy the bioware points before you can get the DLC.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

people have to admit, steam has always been buggy as fuck.between constantly updating, servers not being as good as they should be,  store going down all the time, overlay being all but worthless.  its thats only recently, when it first started up it was one of the worst designed programs i'd ever seen. but i still use it cause the company had ideals that i could get behind.

despite EA being one of the worst companys out there, origin looks half decent, and tends to function at least resonably well (i dont use it very often as i only have 1 or 2 games on it that i couldnt get on steam).  I just wish i had the option to choose.  when i do play my origin games, im still on steam talking to people since i dont want to have to try to add all my friends on both. i just want the games to be on both. yes i know its a pipe dream, and origin would go out of business if that happend(oh no?)

personally i prefer steam, but thats mostly because despite its issues, thats where my games are, thats where my friends are, and lets be honest here, thats where the sales are.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

More like "70% off games I've already played"

Nice try origin.  Your sales won't make you any less terrible.

So it's like the Steam sales. Every sale is the same shit I've already played, they mights as well not have a sale at all if I cannot benefit from it.