Wanting to Repurpose an old Lenovo PC my parents had into a NAS

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

Do you have 40$ because that will get you a 10x better nas that will have 8gb of ram and be way better AND more power efficient than ANY upgrades that will cost WAY MORE MONEY you can do to that machine. This platform is basically also limited to 8gb of ram if even possible in this machine which can often not be enough.

Like for a nas that old cpu can work but it is very slow, will not run well and also consumes a lot of power for what it is. Considering it's a lenovo that also means working in a more constrained power budget too. This thing is old enough to not even have many sata ports as ide is still a thing this generation making it even harder to get enough storage going depending on the wants.

I'd say just spend a little bit of money on a old pc that is not 16 years old but maybe only 8-10 and you'll have a pretty darn nice nas starter for as little as 50$ or so.

If it is literally just a ubuntu install + ONLY a network drive this machine will do. Ask anything else from it and you'll soon see why it's a low end machine from 16 years ago. Also well power draw won't be super low due to being more power hungry and needing more effort to do the tasks due to low performance.

Parents had this old Lenovo PC kicking around and wanting to see if maybe its good enough to turn into an okay NAS. Opened it up and found the CPU is an Intel Pentium dual-core SLA8W MALAY 2.4 ghz. working on what kind of ram it is currently but any help would be greatly appreciated. I am still looking through it to see any more information I can give you guys.

Do you have 40$ because that will get you a 10x better nas that will have 8gb of ram and be way better AND more power efficient than ANY upgrades that will cost WAY MORE MONEY you can do to that machine. This platform is basically also limited to 8gb of ram if even possible in this machine which can often not be enough.

Like for a nas that old cpu can work but it is very slow, will not run well and also consumes a lot of power for what it is. Considering it's a lenovo that also means working in a more constrained power budget too. This thing is old enough to not even have many sata ports as ide is still a thing this generation making it even harder to get enough storage going depending on the wants.

I'd say just spend a little bit of money on a old pc that is not 16 years old but maybe only 8-10 and you'll have a pretty darn nice nas starter for as little as 50$ or so.

If it is literally just a ubuntu install + ONLY a network drive this machine will do. Ask anything else from it and you'll soon see why it's a low end machine from 16 years ago. Also well power draw won't be super low due to being more power hungry and needing more effort to do the tasks due to low performance.

darn, was hoping but had a feeling from what I found so far. Thanks though. Gonna have to figure out what to do with this thing now. Was hoping I could cause I want a NAS instead of using a external drive to store stuff and make backups. May have to be a bit more detailed project than I was planning

There is nothing wrong with using it as an experimental tool. Just install whatever you want and figure things out. Definitely going to be slow for most things though, but as long as you know that going into it then you should be fine. 

9 hours ago, eternalprimo1 said:

darn, was hoping but had a feeling from what I found so far. Thanks though. Gonna have to figure out what to do with this thing now. Was hoping I could cause I want a NAS instead of using a external drive to store stuff and make backups. May have to be a bit more detailed project than I was planning

Use it as an expirimental tool to make plans for the final version.

Its always best to start with a prototype and then get going fully properly on the main build