Are there still consoles or options for kids if we don't want them exposed to the advertising and psychology of modern consoles?

Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

Why not set up something like a RetroPie and emulate the old games rather than getting an actual console? Or just have a PC not connected to the Internet with curated games that you choose?

The latter is what I plan to do if I ever have kids. I've still got most of my old games on CD, and there are abandonware sites that have lots of great retro PC games if you can't find your old collection.

The Switch, PS5, Xbox, and modern gaming PC are all clearly aimed at adults...tons of advertising no matter where you look, gambling mechanics, and just a consistent communication that no matter what you already have, you need to have more.

I very much prefer the older style of consoles, like the N64, SNES, Gamecube, original Xbox and Playstation. The only advertising that I was exposed to was whatever happened to be on TV or in a magazine. I didn't really have either of those. A single Mario game with garbage graphics was able to entertain my sister and I for months on end. We even had these little "VG Pocket" handhelds that were complete trash as well, but we thought they were the greatest thing ever as kids.

As we start to have kids, I don't want the big constant pop-ups all over their screens for the games, battlepasses, lootboxes, and subscriptions that they don't have. These are present on every modern console, no matter what you change the settings to. I can prevent them from buying them willy-nilly, but not from wanting/obsessing over them. Is the only option to seek out used ancient consoles? They get expensive fast, and aren't super reliable at this point.

Unless there's other options, we might just become a board game family. It's a shame, because gaming was very impactful for me, but I don't think it can be healthy for kids now that it's so heavily aimed at the psychological manipulation of adults.

6 minutes ago, Elarion said:

The Switch, PS5, Xbox, and modern gaming PC are all clearly aimed at adults...tons of advertising no matter where you look, gambling mechanics, and just a consistent communication that no matter what you already have, you need to have more.

I very much prefer the older style of consoles, like the N64, SNES, Gamecube, original Xbox and Playstation. The only advertising that I was exposed to was whatever happened to be on TV or in a magazine. I didn't really have either of those. A single Mario game with garbage graphics was able to entertain my sister and I for months on end. We even had these little "VG Pocket" handhelds that were complete trash as well, but we thought they were the greatest thing ever as kids.

As we start to have kids, I don't want the big constant pop-ups all over their screens for the games, battlepasses, lootboxes, and subscriptions that they don't have. These are present on every modern console, no matter what you change the settings to. I can prevent them from buying them willy-nilly, but not from wanting/obsessing over them. Is the only option to seek out used ancient consoles? They get expensive fast, and aren't super reliable at this point.

Unless there's other options, we might just become a board game family. It's a shame, because gaming was very impactful for me, but I don't think it can be healthy for kids now that it's so heavily aimed at the psychological manipulation of adults.

Hmm, I never get a popup ad for lootboxes and subs.

I play offline game btw

And this is my Steam looks like :

image.png.2511cc0683986ea50054a037eb58b124.png

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

It doesn't matter if you eliminate them from consoles, anywhere else they look the same tactics will be used. You might as well be trying to fight a horde of locusts using only a flyswatter.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, da na said:

Switch doesn't have any of the battle passes, microtransactions etc, at least in Nintendo's first party titles (excluding DLC, eg Breath of the Wild Master Mode, Splatoon DLC...)

When you boot up the switch, there are ads on the left side. Even that is unacceptable for me.

Why not set up something like a RetroPie and emulate the old games rather than getting an actual console? Or just have a PC not connected to the Internet with curated games that you choose?

The latter is what I plan to do if I ever have kids. I've still got most of my old games on CD, and there are abandonware sites that have lots of great retro PC games if you can't find your old collection.

6 minutes ago, Elarion said:

When you boot up the switch, there are ads on the left side. Even that is unacceptable for me.

Lol ok, then no modern console will fit your needs. Have your kids use OG classic consoles until they reach the age you think is acceptable to start using a modern console. You can still purchase, PS2s, N64s, Gamecubes, etc. Or set up a very limited PC for offline games/ emulation only. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

11 minutes ago, Elarion said:

The way I see it.

Sooner or later they'll see / know anyway.

Either when they browse web to find guide or generally just wanting to know more about the game they're playing or whatever, or when they discuss with their friends / see their friend's game.

Even in game when they see other player wearing something that looks interesting to them.

Me, I'd just give them offline games.

That still won't prevent them from knowing about lootboxes and such from environment though.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

7 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

That's a good idea. I hadn't considered that, I'll probably end up doing that. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

The way I see it.

Sooner or later they'll see / know anyway.

Either when they browse web to find guide or generally just wanting to know more about the game they're playing or whatever, or when they discuss with their friends / see their friend's game.

Even in game when they see other player wearing something that looks interesting to them.

Not an issue. They are not playing multiplayer games.

30 minutes ago, Elarion said:

Do you have kids now?  As you reference "Start to have them".

Maybe think about why you want to have kids if the world is not a place you want them to exist in? 

I have 2 stepkids and educating them is a constant battle vs the forces of evil (read:  everything else).   You cannot stop the tide, but you can teach them to be aware of it  and to swim.

Otherwise, there are 8 billion people on this planet.  We don't really need more, so don't feel obligated to have them.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

20 minutes ago, Elarion said:

That's a good idea. I hadn't considered that, I'll probably end up doing that. Thanks!

Not an issue. They are not playing multiplayer games.

Yeah that's what I was saying.

Stick to offline game.

There's parental control in steam as well that can limit which tabs or game they can see without needing to be unlocked by a Pin number.

image.png.6ed81597d81c739f57f8b11bbd1dc507.png

This is a steam account with parental control turned on for Store page and Community page looks like, the two tabs are greyed out, if clicked it will ask for a Pin before whoever clicked it can open it. Same thing happens if I try to access it through web browser.

image.png.9d196664a949c61bdf7a683c3ecbf401.png

Although if your goal is to prevent them from knowing about lootboxes, ads, battlepasses, and such, now you gotta fight the environment too.

To the point you might need to put them into a room and never let them gets out.

Refresh before you reply

40 minutes ago, Elarion said:

Why not use that as a teaching moment?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Another option might be those stand alone retro consoles, made to imitate the ones of the past. I got the SNES one since I never grew up with Nintendo (was a Sega household/friend group) but the games are a little too retro for me now.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 3/15/2024 at 8:24 AM, YoungBlade said:

That's literately saying "pirate old games"

On 3/15/2024 at 8:24 AM, YoungBlade said:

Abandonware is not "Free games"

The lesson you teach your kids when you do not buy the software is "you can steal this." Always. That's a great way to attach zero value to software.

The correct answer here was "Buy games on GOG that explicitly do not have monetization features"

Otherwise, buy used game consoles before the Wii U.

4 hours ago, Kisai said:

The lesson you teach your kids when you do not buy the software is "you can steal this." Always. That's a great way to attach zero value to software.

The correct answer here was "Buy games on GOG that explicitly do not have monetization features"

How about no, company doesn't sell them anymore so its abandoned by the company and we take it because we do cherish them. Only exception is that when company releases remaster or big package with all games available to play without bullshit sure ill pay even 50 euros for it.

It's just company's fault not us.

And they went different path for newer games with bullshit attached and most peeps don't like it so we go back to old games unavailabe or available.

And they want it make harder for us so we make it harder for them.

Like Nintendo can earn ******* lots of money if they combined all pokemon series and make it mmo but no we community must make it's own and suffer with it.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

5 hours ago, Kisai said:

Might as well teach kids how to properly find and access abandonware /old games so when they do try to do it they don't get virus' or scammed by people with those premade emulator boxes.

My dad made me an eBay account when I was 9 and showed me how to not get scammed on it and I've used eBay for 20 years since then, never been ripped off 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Best thing you can do is choose games for them, and have them in offline mode. Etc use parental controls and make their console offline etc.

There are tons  of modern games that dont have lootboxes or battlepasses, those that do are mostly multiplayer games. Just don't let them have access to those via parental controls or not having internet.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 3/15/2024 at 8:13 AM, Elarion said:

Nintendo Switch is one option. 

A PC with either no network hardware, or hardware disabled, is also very doable. You’re pretty much limited to GoG for purchasing your games though, but the upshot is that GoG provides the game files free of DRM, so you can download the Offline Installers on another PC, and move them over. Selection of games is also a lot better than it was even a few years ago, back when I didn’t have home internet, and was downloading said games at a friend’s place. 

Edit: Kind of just realized that GoG has now been getting former PlayStation exclusives like God of War, and Uncharted. OMG, give those guys some love. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

19 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Nintendo Switch is one option.

He already rejected switch.

On 3/15/2024 at 10:20 PM, Elarion said:

I still dunno whether OP just don't want the kids to see/know about ads/popup/lootboxes/gacha in game, or in general.

The first is doable with offline games

The latter... well....

Refresh before you reply

14 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

He already rejected switch.

In that case, I think a PC with networking disabled will offer OP with the desired level of control. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

In that case, I think a PC with networking disabled will offer OP with the desired level of control. 

Batocera os will do that fine it runs pc games and console games all together without browser or anything.

Matter of fact i have vm running with Batocera os with gpu passthrough kekw.

And passed usb hub through so now ez connect to controllers or attach Bluetooth adaptor to connect controllers woo.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

On 3/15/2024 at 11:13 AM, Elarion said:

As we start to have kids,

No electronics at early ages.

Read books, play chess, get outside and be physically active, spend time engaged with them.

That's all you need.

Electronic baby-sitters are harmful.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

55 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

No electronics at early ages.

Read books, play chess, get outside and be physically active, spend time engaged with them.

That's all you need.

Electronic baby-sitters are harmful.

Are you currently raising or have you raised children in the last decade? And what are we thinking with "early ages", what age range is that?

On 3/15/2024 at 11:13 AM, Elarion said:

The Switch with Parental Controls is a great option. Get games like Super Mario Bros. Wonder (great game for children and adults alike) that don't have any DLC or gatcha mechanics. With parental controls, you'd be able to block all the ads and other stuff that the other people here are talking about.

You could also get something like a Wii U that's still fairly modern but old enough that it doesn't have a ton of those Gatcha games. You can find those for about the same price as something like a SNES Classic.

On 3/15/2024 at 11:16 AM, da na said:

Switch doesn't have any of the battle passes, microtransactions etc, at least in Nintendo's first party titles (excluding DLC, eg Breath of the Wild Master Mode, Splatoon DLC...)

Fortnite, Apex Legends, and the like all exist for the Switch.

On 3/15/2024 at 11:20 AM, Elarion said:

You can disable those in Parental Controls.

On 3/15/2024 at 11:24 AM, YoungBlade said:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Universal-Super-NES-Classic-Edition/410336025

This is a great option if you don't want to spend the time fiddling with RetroPie. 

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.