Are there still consoles or options for kids if we don't want them exposed to the advertising and psychology of modern consoles?

Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

Why not set up something like a RetroPie and emulate the old games rather than getting an actual console? Or just have a PC not connected to the Internet with curated games that you choose?

The latter is what I plan to do if I ever have kids. I've still got most of my old games on CD, and there are abandonware sites that have lots of great retro PC games if you can't find your old collection.

2 minutes ago, whispous said:

Are you currently raising or have you raised children in the last decade?

Just because that's an older way of thinking doesn't mean that there's not anything to learn from his statement.

I, for one, would agree that screens should be kept to a minimum in younger years. I wouldn't go as far as to say no electronics, but very limited use of them isn't harmful. 

1 hour ago, da na said:

-Inexpensive

-Ad-free

-Minutes of fun

image.png.2900344deeaa0057b5e6ce5b09dc4e84.png

Mi5qcGc

-Inexpensive (until your six-year-old boy falls off a tree and you have to pay medical bills)

-Ad-free (until you go on the roads)

-Minutes of fun (UNTIL LITTLE JOHNNY STARTS PUNCHING HIS SISTER LUCY BECAUSE LUCY WOULDN'T GIVE HIM A TURN WITH THE STICK THAT LOOKS LIKE A SWORD)

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

44 minutes ago, whispous said:

Are you currently raising or have you raised children in the last decade?

No, it's been a bit more than a decade, but my nieces and nephews are currently doing this and I support their decision.

47 minutes ago, whispous said:

And what are we thinking with "early ages", what age range is that?

From birth till, up to you, I can't make all your decisions for you. 🙃

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

Interesting that it was immediately a defensive stance.

On 3/15/2024 at 4:29 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

Lol ok, then no modern console will fit your needs

they didn't say modern tho, also what is modern?

does a ps3 count? a ps4? an xbox 360?

because all those can be played offline, ps5 etc probably too... no popups, no ads... no gatchas...

that's besides there's a gazillion like retro style consoles that are top notch and probably don't even have online either. 

IF op is asking for a modern console to play online pew pew games without ads and season passes then this question makes no sense because that simply doesn't exist. 

but YES, semi modern consoles without ads etc do exist (just not necessarily current gen, which op did *not* specify as far i understand ,unless you just keep them offline i guess... )

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

, for one, would agree that screens should be kept to a minimum in younger years. I wouldn't go as far as to say no electronics, but very limited use of them isn't harmful

i agree... no electronics would be bad cause they wouldn't be familiarized with, but limit screen time for sure - its actually super unhealthy,  not just for kids, but especially for kids.

i dunno back in the old days our parents didn't let us watch tv or play "atari" as much we wanted either...

most people nowadays should actually indeed touch grass more than just saying it as a meme - the truth is they're probably hella scared of actual nature ... its not something they can control like their smartphones and other gadgets,  so its probably better to stay away!  >.>

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 3/15/2024 at 4:13 PM, Elarion said:

The Switch, PS5, Xbox, and modern gaming PC are all clearly aimed at adults...tons of advertising no matter where you look, gambling mechanics, and just a consistent communication that no matter what you already have, you need to have more.

I very much prefer the older style of consoles, like the N64, SNES, Gamecube, original Xbox and Playstation. The only advertising that I was exposed to was whatever happened to be on TV or in a magazine. I didn't really have either of those. A single Mario game with garbage graphics was able to entertain my sister and I for months on end. We even had these little "VG Pocket" handhelds that were complete trash as well, but we thought they were the greatest thing ever as kids.

As we start to have kids, I don't want the big constant pop-ups all over their screens for the games, battlepasses, lootboxes, and subscriptions that they don't have. These are present on every modern console, no matter what you change the settings to. I can prevent them from buying them willy-nilly, but not from wanting/obsessing over them. Is the only option to seek out used ancient consoles? They get expensive fast, and aren't super reliable at this point.

Unless there's other options, we might just become a board game family. It's a shame, because gaming was very impactful for me, but I don't think it can be healthy for kids now that it's so heavily aimed at the psychological manipulation of adults.

you dont actually play vidoegames or do you? cause as i already said there's a gazillion of options,  even modern ones - what you're describing is more of a game choice problem than a "console" problem. 

Get a xbox, for example, dont let your kids go online, problem solved (has many retro emulator games too)

the real problem,  i think,  is you need to set it up, and actually control what your kids do - these consoles give parents all the options to not have ads and predatory battlepasses etc, you just need to actually do it.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

If you only give your kid old retro consoles/games, they will complain regularly if they have friends that game.

If you give them access to games that are newer, but doesn't have online features, lootboxes or battlepasses, they will most likely complain much less.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

39 minutes ago, Mihle said:

If you live your kid old retro consoles/games, they will complain regularly if they have friends that game.

If you give them access to games that are newer, but doesn't have online features, lootboxes or battlepasses, they will most likely complain much less.

i mean yeah, kids probably *want* to play online shooters and stuff, i get that,  but as said if the parents don't want that there are options built-in (parental controls) to avoid almost all of this stuff. of course the kids will try to find workarounds,  that's why parents need to actually supervise this, have strong passwords, etc.

and honestly nothing wrong with kids playing video games,  but certain types like fortnite, cod, fifa... the predatory ones, they really shouldn't play them, even though they're mostly targeted at them... sure something like cod / other online shooters,  are also marketed as mature,  but that's exactly what draws kids in, and its on purpose. or fortnite with its cutsy artstyle... definitely made to make parents think its "probably harmless"... the gameplay might actually be, but not the predatory nature of it which is indeed all about milking the playerbase as much as possible.  

no, its not easy for parents,  but its certainly possible,  especially when a screen time limit is introduced *and* controlled. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

because all those can be played offline, ps5 etc probably too... no popups, no ads... no gatchas...

that's besides there's a gazillion like retro style consoles that are top notch and probably don't even have online either. 

IF op is asking for a modern console to play online pew pew games without ads and season passes then this question makes no sense because that simply doesn't exist. 

but YES, semi modern consoles without ads etc do exist (just not necessarily current gen, which op did *not* specify as far i understand ,unless you just keep them offline i guess... )

Read the title of OP's post?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

11 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I agree with this for the most part because for example, I have a PS3 and none of the things the OP is concerned about with it. What I use it for is 100% offline but in truth, that's expected with the age of the games and console itself since it seems about everything for it isn't able to go online anymore - I could be wrong about that but do consider the age of the console itself and games made for it.

With that it has no internet connection to it and it's Wi-Fi is disabled with no router password having ever been entered into the system.
I have some games for it too, enough that there is no shortage of "Something" to play and that's just for the PS3 itself.

I also have an NES, SNES, original X-Box and even a working Dreamcast system here so I'm set on consoles and plenty of games to go with all these collectively.
And I even have a "Nice" 27' CRT TV for these as well. 😁

My PC games are all ones that have no online requirement just to play for good reason and that's the way I wanted it.

One source or "Root" of the problem has to do with things being "Online" these days.

No question that opens up and exposes the player to whatever is out there and ports it all directly to you, the gamer/user. I recall back when things like Valve and Steam were just getting started and I already knew being tethered to the web just to play a game would be trouble and that's why I never went that route. Instead I started leaning more towards consoles and games that didn't have a requirement to be connected to the web just to play them.

Of course these days the vast majority are all online and that's why I'm not a big gamer like I had been before, if I can't have the full version of a game to play and not be on the web just to play it, that one is just "Out" for me so I don't bother with it.

The games selected will be important and just keep in mind if it's something you may enjoy, that doesn't mean the kid(s) will like that one themselves so be open, yet discriminate about what is selected and played.
Just watch for things that might amount to requirements for being online to access "All features" of a game, that means to fully play it (If it can be played offline at all) you will have to connect it to the web at some point or even just to play it.

However the absolute best way to deal with it is really simple - Introduce them to other activities besides gaming.

There are still plenty of things that can be done without the worries of web exposure such as outdoor activities for example. Sports-related or just about anything to get them out of the house period will help to alleviate this problem and expose them to the world itself because, like it or not it's out there and they will have to learn how to deal with it sooner or later, preferrably sooner of course.

Just note this is my own take of it and these are only some suggestions about it - The OP can do or not do whatever they please since it is their choice after all.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

I agree with this for the most part because for example, I have a PS3 and none of the things the OP is concerned about with it. What I use it for is 100% offline but in truth, that's expected with the age of the games and console itself since it seems about everything for it isn't able to go online anymore - I could be wrong about that but do consider the age of the console itself and games made for it.

With that it has no internet connection to it and it's Wi-Fi is disabled with no router password having ever been entered into the system.
I have some games for it too, enough that there is no shortage of "Something" to play and that's just for the PS3 itself.

I also have an NES, SNES, original X-Box and even a working Dreamcast system here so I'm set on consoles and plenty of games to go with all these collectively.
And I even have a "Nice" 27' CRT TV for these as well. 😁

My PC games are all ones that have no online requirement just to play for good reason and that's the way I wanted it.

One source or "Root" of the problem has to do with things being "Online" these days.

No question that opens up and exposes the player to whatever is out there and ports it all directly to you, the gamer/user. I recall back when things like Valve and Steam were just getting started and I already knew being tethered to the web just to play a game would be trouble and that's why I never went that route. Instead I started leaning more towards consoles and games that didn't have a requirement to be connected to the web just to play them.

Of course these days the vast majority are all online and that's why I'm not a big gamer like I had been before, if I can't have the full version of a game to play and not be on the web just to play it, that one is just "Out" for me so I don't bother with it.

The games selected will be important and just keep in mind if it's something you may enjoy, that doesn't mean the kid(s) will like that one themselves so be open, yet discriminate about what is selected and played.
Just watch for things that might amount to requirements for being online to access "All features" of a game, that means to fully play it (If it can be played offline at all) you will have to connect it to the web at some point or even just to play it.

However the absolute best way to deal with it is really simple - Introduce them to other activities besides gaming.

There are still plenty of things that can be done without the worries of web exposure such as outdoor activities for example. Sports-related or just about anything to get them out of the house period will help to alleviate this problem and expose them to the world itself because, like it or not it's out there and they will have to learn how to deal with it sooner or later, preferrably sooner of course.

Just note this is my own take of it and these are only some suggestions about it - The OP can do or not do whatever they please since it is their choice after all.

you can still play some ps3 games online (officially) btw (Tekken 6 for example, and guess what there's no paid dlc, gatchas, etc) 

but yes, as said this generally seems to be a certain type of games issue and not a console one. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

Of course these days the vast majority are all online and that's why I'm not a big gamer like I had been before,

i wouldn't say so, probably more like 50/50, there's still tons of games that can be played offline just fine, or only have online for stuff like stats,  maybe some dlc, but still those can typically be played fully offline just fine too.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

PC with singleplayer/local coop games or emulators. You don't need another computer (a Pi) to do this.

No phone or a basic one that has the ability to install new software locked or behind a password, if that's even possible.

If you're in the US I know most schools hand out chromebooks to kids, while I find that sickening it's up to you to teach them to either use one or stay away from them, you can be sure I'll teach my kids to stay away from anything google, there are ways to learn how to properly operate a computer (with directory trees!!) that don't involve ads, political propaganda disguised as educative content, or paying for Adobe.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.