Your Internet is Too Fast

JordB

STOP! Before you rush out and throw even more of your hard-earned money at a faster internet connection, there’s a BUNCH of other pieces to the puzzle that you might need to think about first.

Gibson Research DNS tool: https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

PiHole video: https://youtu.be/KBXTnrD_Zs4

Buy a TP-Link AV1000 Gigabit Powerline Adapter: https://geni.us/8jzs
Buy an ASUS RT-AXE7800 Tri-Band WiFi 6E Router: https://geni.us/3hgYAoQ

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Hm, relatively minor, but Linus says that FTTP ISPs offer symmetrical connections, which, isn't always true. Many ISPs will offer say, 1G/200M FTTP, with my connection being FTTP, and while I have 900M down, I only get 180 up.

24 minutes ago, TaylorRobinson said:

Many ISPs will offer say, 1G/200M FTTP, with my connection being FTTP, and while I have 900M down, I only get 180 up.

Cox does this in my area, but the reason for this is that they aren't really doing FTTP. Straight up being deceptive about their connection type while getting trounced by FiOS in that respect. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

I have 100 down and 20 up.
Definitely not too fast. 😞 

* 90% of Video only applies to city slickers who have multiple options for ISPs where speeds under 20mbps is not even possible

I believe that smart TVs come with Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) because nearly all of them share the same SoC. Also, only a very very very tiny fraction of consumers actually care about this - they will not even use cable, to begin with, they'll just set it up with wi-fi and be done with it, so they don't even bother. 

You can get faster speeds by using a USB to Ethernet adapter, but most if not all USB ports on TVs are 2.0 so your connection would be capped at 480 Mbps (in real life this would be closer to 400 Mbps). Which is better and way more stable than even the best wi-fi we currently have today, but still nowhere near a gigabit. Or you can just use an Nvidia Shield.

7 hours ago, Lunar River said:

* 90% of Video only applies to city slickers who have multiple options for ISPs where speeds under 20mbps is not even possible

and most city option in usa only have 2 and not even 1gb speeds

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

The video feels nearly the same as every other LTT video discussing anything to do with networking. It would have been better to demonstrate real world tests with various simulated connections with the use of shaping/policing or forwarding through a linux VM and use TC to adjust loss/latency/jitter.

I have been saying it for years and a majority of people overestimate how much throughput they actually use outside of raw downloads/uploads and they would be surprised how low you can go before you begin to notice the impact. My career has been entirely in the SP field and at all providers I worked at, we perform audits multiple times a year to observe traffic patterns. Not much has actually changed in recent years.

Focusing on the customers with 1G plans, 99.5% peaks still sit ~125mbps with 99.9% ~500mbps. And those are just peak rates. Mean sits anywhere from as low as 5mbps to around 15mbps. It hasn't really changed because the goal is for a better experience and a service is going to of course optimize by focusing on reducing latency and throughput for it's traffic.

I would recommend LTT change up this repeated format and focus more on real world demos with side by side comparisons of bandwidth.

12 hours ago, TaylorRobinson said:

Hm, relatively minor, but Linus says that FTTP ISPs offer symmetrical connections, which, isn't always true. Many ISPs will offer say, 1G/200M FTTP, with my connection being FTTP, and while I have 900M down, I only get 180 up.

The primary reason is billing and the variety of hardware deployed. Yes, it sucks, but accounting is already a nightmare and there is administrative limit to the number of plans to offer for both the SP and the customer.

Also 900/180 on a 1G/200 is expected with overhead.

4 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Also 900/180 on a 1G/200 is expected with overhead.

I feel like the overhead shouldn't be on the consumer. I pay for 300/50 and get 315/55 most of the time. No consumer is ever gonna bother customer service when they get an extra 15 mbps, but customers will certainly bother support if they get 15 mbps too little.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

16 hours ago, Lunar River said:

Maybe in 3rd world countries like the US or Canada </s>

Though for real, I live in the Swiss alps in a small town and I have a bunch of options for ISPs. And even though I don't have a fiber connection, I still have a 1000/100 line that I can almost saturate with services that allow for those speeds. I certainly get download speeds of around 105MB/s on Steam or GOG Galaxy.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

for my video class last fall we had to watch a video on internet speeds

you know a class has outdated information when you're being told that the fastest commercially available network speeds are 100 mbps

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

7 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

you know a class has outdated information when you're being told that the fastest commercially available network speeds are 100 mbps

The moment I see something like this I drop that class and avoid that professor. Had a professor hand out diagrams describing DDR2 in a class I took in 2013. You clearly don't give a shit about your material enough to update it, why am paying $100s - $1000s of dollars to take your class. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

13 minutes ago, Skipple said:

The moment I see something like this I drop that class and avoid that professor. Had a professor hand out diagrams describing DDR2 in a class I took in 2013. You clearly don't give a shit about your material enough to update it, why am paying $100s - $1000s of dollars to take your class. 

Believe me, if I could drop that class I would. I haven’t really learned anything and the things I could’ve learned are all outdated. The only reason I’m taking that class is because it looks better on a resume than “2 years of making YouTube videos”

I mean, I was told the largest an SD card should be is 32GBs because anything larger than that “is too much”

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

19 hours ago, Lunar River said:

tbf its not just cities that have that
by some miracle my town of less than 5000 people has options for fiber (like to the in home router), 2 cable providers, and dsl

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

22 hours ago, TaylorRobinson said:

i understood that as 'only the ISPs that do FTTP offer such options", not "FTTP is always symmetrical".

the reasoning behind this is that both coax and copper infrastructure is essentially half-duplex, meaning the more upload speed they offer, the less download speed they can offer. this isnt an issue with FTTP, hence FTTP is the place to be to get symmetrical.

but yes.. could be more clearer in the video.

2 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

every time i see an example of this i wonder why text books even bother to include information like this.. what a way to date yourself.

there's even a brilliant gem like this burried in a cisco exam..

40 minutes ago, manikyath said:

very time i see an example of this i wonder why text books even bother to include information like this.. what a way to date yourself.

there's even a brilliant gem like this burried in a cisco exam..

No, we literally watch 10 year old YouTube videos for this class

Linus forgot about Plex. a good 4K movie is about 30 Mbps. If a family of 4 are watching 4 different films, then a ultrafast internet is vital.

10 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I feel like the overhead shouldn't be on the consumer. I pay for 300/50 and get 315/55 most of the time. No consumer is ever gonna bother customer service when they get an extra 15 mbps, but customers will certainly bother support if they get 15 mbps too little.

There will always be overhead at L1/L2. Sure, when you're dealing with sub-linerate, provisioning to compensate for overhead is not the end of the world and can be a cost measure. However, if you're paying for 300/50 and you run a speedtest and get ~285/45, you are still getting the speeds you payed for.

Probably don't want to see my home internet then....

Spoiler

image.png?ex=6606018e&is=65f38c8e&hm=538866bf24d8c77403eafd0de6757370bd9de182afb7879ae2f5ef73790570ce&=

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

24 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Probably don't want to see my home internet then....

Reveal hidden contents

image.png?ex=6606018e&is=65f38c8e&hm=538866bf24d8c77403eafd0de6757370bd9de182afb7879ae2f5ef73790570ce&=

Show off.

😛 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Show off.

😛 

best part?? I pay nothing 😄 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

best part?? I pay nothing 😄 

How does that work?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

How does that work?

Operations Supervisor for Fiber to the Home ISP

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Operations Supervisor for Fiber to the Home ISP

Total nonsense lol.

Although I don't think what I pay is too terrible. $90/month for 1Gb/s in both directions(fiber) I don't think is a bad deal - although I'm sure someone will one up me, other than you lol.