Your Internet is Too Fast

JordB
Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Total nonsense lol.

Although I don't think what I pay is too terrible. $90 for 1Gb/s in both directions(fiber) I don't think is a bad deal - although I'm sure someone will one up me, other than you lol.

lol yea, 10gb service isn't even a service we offer for FTTH currently and likely won't ever in the near future as the PON ports on our Calix gear only allows about 8gb of throughput up and down.  5gb is what we're looking to offer at most and likely only to business subscribers. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I actually went with gigabit because it was actually marginally cheaper than staying with my previous 800megabit connection from a different ISP. Gotta love Canada's crappy telecom oligopoly.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

I applaud this video and, as linus said himself, never thought LTT would actually say this.

I personally have had 1 gbps speed available for years but I just couldn’t motivate this. I’ve settled with 250/250 mbps for only slightly less (the cost difference for me between 250/250 and 1000/1000 actually isn’t that large).

To me symetrical connection is something I value highly even if I don’t seed torrents and even if the monthly statistics from my router tell me that I generally only upload about 10 % of the data that I download. But I do like having snappy upload of files when working from home and I do have a set up to be able to access some things in my home network remoteley.

Also people complaining that this is only valid for people in cities, that feels like a very north american sentiment.

Hey all, Just learned that seedbox's exist via this video.

A quick look on youtube didn't show me much info regarding best seedbox providers, features I should be looking for etc. Anyone have some tips for me regarding this?

I currently have a self hosted Plex and '-arr' docker stack server on my NAS and want to figure out the best way to migrate it all to a seedbox. Would I have to manually upload everything I currently have from my NAS to the seedbox? (Australian internet connection does not provide a very good upload rate)

I'd appreciate any info people could provide.

13 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

lol yea, 10gb service isn't even a service we offer for FTTH currently and likely won't ever in the near future as the PON ports on our Calix gear only allows about 8gb of throughput up and down.  5gb is what we're looking to offer at most and likely only to business subscribers. 

seen your speed.... cough sneakes into your place. ads a fiber line to your connection....

skii will never know.... wait i said that out load..

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

15 hours ago, GodAtum said:

Linus forgot about Plex. a good 4K movie is about 30 Mbps. If a family of 4 are watching 4 different films, then a ultrafast internet is vital.

What does Plex have to do with this?

If you have a local plex server then internet doesn't mean squat.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 hours ago, Lurick said:

What does Plex have to do with this?

If you have a local plex server then internet doesn't mean squat.

And even if it is a remote plex server you don't need 1 gbps for that very theoretical use case. 250-500 mbps will serve you more than well.

Personally I wouldn't want less than synchronous gigabit and, ideally, would have an even higher maximum transfer speed given that I've been able to saturate my current connection while working from home (I'm in the process of upgrading to multi-gigabit but it's taking awhile for the ISP to install the required infrastructure despite the rest of my home network being ready for it). That said, one reason for the higher usage is probably that, aside from phones and undocked laptops, every device on the network is hardwired with CAT6 and so is able to actually take advantage of the faster internet.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM