Micro Center used USB drive

This is something I find absolutely insane and definitely worth talking about on WAN Show so I'll put it here. I bought a Micro Center branded 512 GB flash drive from Micro Center a few months back and today I was downloading a torrent of a "family home video" and the drive was heating up pretty bad so I popped the cheap plastic case off to give it some air. Low and behold, used solder pins for another usb header (probably lightning or usb c). This made me remember that when I initially installed the drive there were a couple files on there- one folder named "System Backup Information" and one file with dropbox in the name and a weird file extension which at the time I deleted without thinking too much of it but now I'm convinced this is a used drive. 

So I call Micro Center. I assume with their reputation for customer service they'll be super helpful and this is just an issue on their manufacturer's part, but nobody I talked to seemed to understand that they had sold me somebody else's data in a Micro Center branded shell and get this- tried to get me to drive 2 hours to my nearest Micro Center to RETURN the drive. Eventually I convinced them I had a valid reason to not want to hand over my data to them but they still wanted me to go in person to get a replacement drive OF THE SAME F***** SKU!!! Now I'm waiting to hear back in an email about whether or not they "can" ship me a drive and micro center has lost a long term customer- I looked in my email and I must have had 50 different receipts (I grew up a mile away from one now I'm in school out of state).

Anyway, I went into this expecting to just alert them of a problem and for them to deal with it but now I'm pissed and would love to either see Luke and Linus talk about this on WAN show or someone from Labs looking into their stock because if one is used you have to assume it's not an isolated indecent and this drive does perform like dogshit- transferring files to my $45 ancient NAS is quicker than it's supposed "USB3.1" speed.

Pictures of naked drive below

IMG_1631.jpg

73127741959__5435D3CE-42BE-41E2-843B-BD544C5906E3.jpg

25 minutes ago, bakedp0tato said:

transferring files to my $45 ancient NAS is quicker than it's supposed "USB3.1" speed.

It is USB3 as advertised. Many have slow flash but it's extremely common unless you go to really high end ones.

26 minutes ago, bakedp0tato said:

"System Backup Information"

It'll be "System Volume information" and that's a hidden folder Windows makes on any drive you connect.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

18 hours ago, bakedp0tato said:

Low and behold, used solder pins for another usb header (probably lightning or usb c). This made me remember that when I initially installed the drive there were a couple files on there- one folder named "System Backup Information" and one file with dropbox in the name and a weird file extension which at the time I deleted without thinking too much of it but now I'm convinced this is a used drive. 

I'm honestly not sure why you think this was a used hard drive. They manufacture an almost identical thumb drive with a USB-C interface. The PCB is almost certainly manufactured in the same run and if they aren't putting a USB-C port on it, they just leave the solder pins as is. 

image.png.8431948e0b3422e94cb9ec1a89a7a345.png

As for the System Volume Information, this is a normal partition on the hard drive for various Windows functions. 

If I recall correctly, tons of flash drives used to come with some dropbox files/firmware pre-installed. I haven't heard of manufactures doing that in a while, but this may be a remanence of this old process. 

Regardless, I'm still a bit confused why you think this flash drive is used. 

18 hours ago, bakedp0tato said:

nobody I talked to seemed to understand that they had sold me somebody else's data in a Micro Center branded shell and get this

I mean, it's probably because that's not the case. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

21 hours ago, Kilrah said:

It'll be "System Volume information" and that's a hidden folder Windows makes on any drive you connect.

That's my bad, it was, however, I'm running fedora and have never plugged this drive in to a windows device so that just adds to my belief that it's used

4 hours ago, Skipple said:

Regardless, I'm still a bit confused why you think this flash drive is used. 

I mean, it's probably because that's not the case. 

Sorry my first post had a few things misremembered, it was system volume information but I'm running fedora and have never used this on a windows device so wasn't me. I also hadn't deleted them properly so with disk drill and way too much time last night I got another look at what was on there (will attach pictures later when I'm back at my apt with the drive) but I got the back up part from an 8.5 GB file called ESD_Back_Up.pst (someones outlook data). Again, I'll attach pictures later but I understand your skepticism to my first post and this until I get those (Probably 12:45ish mst)

4 hours ago, Skipple said:

The PCB is almost certainly manufactured in the same run and if they aren't putting a USB-C port on it, they just leave the solder pins as is. 

But also look at the picture you can tell there used to be a header there

10 hours ago, bakedp0tato said:

ESD_Back_Up.pst (someones outlook data). Again, I'll attach pictures later

Picture of file below- EDU Back Up not ESD lol

Screenshot from 2024-03-05 16-18-09.png

@bakedp0tato

Your posts have been split from LMG Sponsor Complaints thread by request from LMG.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It isn't too uncommon at all for super cheap usb drives to contain used flash media. Though actually finding anything on said media is definitely a rare sight.

The pcb is manufactured to cover a few different products. So seeing it with unpopulated spots for a type c connection isn't odd at all.

What's with the influx of quick to anger people jumping to conclusion about companies lately...

You want to be mad, but don't want their help because their solution to help would somewhat inconvenience you?
Please realize that they don't have the drive in front of them, they don't see the files. To them, you just sound crazy person demanding them to send a flashdrive without providing actual physical proof. They are supposed to take your words for it?

Are you just looking to vent or something? It's a generic flash drive branded with their logo. Even assuming it was used and had random files on it... Delete the file and move on with your life. Don't be expecting top tier performances from a generic flash drive.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I don't believe there was necessarily a header on the other side of that PCB. They may have 'tinned' the pads to make it easier to solder a connector there later, given the potential fate of the PCB where it would have both connectors at the same time, or just a USB-C connector.

Even if there was a connector there at one point, it doesn't mean the drive is used. It may not have been removed to sell it as just a flash drive with a USB Type-A connector.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I've had nothing but bad experiences at Microcenter. Never going back there at this point. 

there are some things in which you just dont buy used. drives are one of them. dont buy used disks and drives!

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

there are some things in which you just dont buy used. drives are one of them. dont buy used disks and drives!

They're complaining that their drive is used, despite being advertised as brand new. They didn't knowingly buy a used drive(but it's likely not a used drive).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Posted (edited)

I take it this is the French version of a USB, don't mind this comment I'm sleeping lol.

Edited by Motifator

18 minutes ago, wasab said:

I've bought plenty of used drives. They're fine as long as you have backups, and you completely zero them out before using them.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 3/5/2024 at 7:30 AM, bakedp0tato said:

But also look at the picture you can tell there used to be a header there

Just as a heads up, there being solder on that header doesn't mean there used to be a header there. PCBs are usually bulk presoldered at factories then specific components get soldered on by PaP machines. Notice there's also resistors that aren't there because they simply aren't needed on that version of the USB but there's still solder on the pads.

Take your graphics card apart and you'll see spots with solder but no components too. 

Spoiler

image.png.50a92042c2ae440afa63de4037b1e507.png

back_full.jpg

Unless Techpowerup got a second hand board with some components taken off for their review..

Edit: @Godlygamer23that's what happen when you use the link as the last thing before you post. I didn't think about it embedding the picture instead of just the link.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

On 3/4/2024 at 1:16 PM, bakedp0tato said:

This is something I find absolutely insane and definitely worth talking about on WAN Show so I'll put it here. I bought a Micro Center branded 512 GB flash drive from Micro Center

Did you happen to buy some kind of "open box" or discounted version. Because I can pretty much tell you what happened.

Either: 

A) it was a customer return and it was just put in a new package and back on the shelf

B) It was a warranty return and it was repackaged having found nothing wrong with it

In both cases, with flash media, they should wipe the drive before putting it on the shelf or discarding it.

16 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Just as a heads up, there being solder on that header doesn't mean there used to be a header there. PCBs are usually bulk presoldered at factories then specific components get soldered on by PaP machines. Notice there's also resistors that aren't there because they simply aren't needed on that version of the USB but there's still solder on the pads.

Take your graphics card apart and you'll see spots with solder but no components too. 

Unless Techpowerup got a second hand board with some components taken off for their review..

There's actually a term for this.

It's called "tinning". You basically prep the area for solderability prior to actually consuming that location with a part. Just makes it easier to solder.

Also your image isn't inside the spoiler.